Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I didn't know it was out yet, so I'll give it a watch at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I genuinely don't know how I stuck with Game of Thrones until it got good, because after it ended my housemate wanted to start it, so I went back to S1 and good god in heaven it is complete and total dogshit and very starkly so compared to where it ended up. It looks and feels archaic like something out of the 90s, filmed in the most blandly uninteresting way imaginable, and every character is competing to do the worst faux-English accent they can muster like they had a bet on. I know the first season of a show can be rough, but woof.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the story was obviously better even at the start, and season one can be forgiven for doing a LOT of setup. But there's a real workmanlike approach to the way it is filmed (like it's aping the tone of period dramas, maybe?), and characters like Tyrion get a lot of rough edges sanded off between seasons that hit you full in the face if you go straight back to the start. Massive tonal whiplash with a major cheese factor that I kind of forgot was there. I guess it's kind of charming? Plus it's definitely better than whatever the hell the last few episodes were meant to be.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My road has speed bumps, a narrowed section after which it's one way so people can't use that route to get out to the main road anyway, and there's cars crammed on both sides of the road, and still people blast down it at speed anyway. It's incredible how impatient people are, outside of traffic conditions it really doesn't make much of a difference to when you get there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

The answer of course is a drastic reduction in house prices as they are otherwise unable to shift them, but of course that part is unspoken because they cannot conceive that they might lose out for once instead of just making money forever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I still watch Seinfeld on Netflix and most of it still holds up. Never liked The Office the first time round though, and people kept saying you just need to keep at it and then it becomes enjoyable, I guess like toxoplasmosis or huffing leaded petrol.

I just finished a full nine season run of Seinfeld, never seen it before, and it does hold up pretty well. It feels more savvy with its characters than Friends, it recognised right off the bat that Jerry and Elaine shouldn't be paired up, while Friends kept that tedious schtick up for ten whole seasons. Even Kramer stayed pretty consistent when they could have had him literally jump the shark.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Victoria Coren-Mitchell was always insufferably pompous, so it was gratifying to see her go on Taskmaster and be an utter crashing failure in almost everything she did.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As pointed out in one of the replies, their post tax income (21k and 22k net respectively) adds up pretty much exactly to their deposit. So either they literally weren't spending a penny of their own money, or it's just completely made up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cases are just now starting to trend downwards, which is great, but this is after several weeks of them holding steady at a stupidly high rate. We may see cases continue to drop dramatically which, with boosters already available and Omicron specific treatments in development, is basically fine (inasmuch as allowing any virus to stay in circulation is "fine"), but that's assuming cases do actually drop going into spring and summer, and haven't just gone down a little bit.

We'll at least know whether they've actually reduced properly by the end of the month; it's a small mercy that the government hasn't just dropped all precautions overnight, even if that's functionally what we've done for several months now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If I had a time machine then sure, I'd buy all the bitcoin I could and cash out before the first big scams and rugpulls.

But at the time, the chances of you hanging on until it was valuable enough to cash out for millions, but also not become an obsessive hodler, and also avoiding the cratering of the first big exchanges, is astronomically unlikely. You really didn't miss out, because most people weren't on the winning side of the scam.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, what actually is happening with Ukraine that there are people protesting against the UN's response to Russia, I really haven't kept up with it properly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What if you neuroplasticise into being really cool and good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1493157100855324675?t=lLwvBg-BDj6H8aIe7hH1Zw&s=19

Unfortunately isn't actually part of the pitch, but if it was then I'd probably go watch it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 14, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

She's always given off the distinct air of someone desperately trying to get in the cool kids club, whatever that might be depending on who she is speaking to.

Bingo. "Sorry, is that the most controversial thing I've ever said?" is her desperately trying to look cool to Sun readers.

As always, if you suspect there's a weakness somewhere, apply pressure and see if it bends. Or in this case, give them an interview with a right wing rag and see how cravenly and pathetically they run their mouth off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Our back gate is barely clinging to life, a good storm might finally finish it off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

G1mby posted:

Perfectly fair :) I've heard some excellent things about Orion Sphere

I'm at CP and Steamweave this year, playing the same basic character mechanically but absolute polar opposites in personality. Can't wait!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah and all my money was spent buying multiple copies of elden ring

God drat but next weekend is going to be good. I am so loving pumped.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Expects to be able to carry out light duties."

Uh huh, sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Also I guess I could set up like a thing where I ship people North American snacks for money now I live in Canada. Would anybody be interested in that?

You still got Ricicles over there? Because if so then yes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TBEU still on fine form:

https://twitter.com/IslingtonChap/status/1371870430588461058?t=bpEZpJrWZJ9GKDMa6AHpIw&s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's literally what all of the posturing about weak woke decadence is about, they're angrily lashing out at the kids and their modern sensibilities in a vain attempt to recapture a fantastical lost past full of glory. It's all the evil of the empire ultra-concentrated into a searing fascist core as their sphere of influence shrinks into a corncob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jollity Farm posted:

I mean, all the political cartoons seem to be using those "look what a rugged man of the outdoors he is" topless pictures from a decade and a half ago as a reference.

And he looked pretty unremarkable even back then, I assumed everyone was just pretending to take those photos seriously.