Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cocaine, therefore, is social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Starmer's whole thing as DPP was protecting every horrible turd out there and trying to lock up as many protesters etc as he could get his hands on, so really the only question is whether he knew specifically about saville because I cannot for one minute imagine he would actually prosecute the guy if he did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

More importantly none of this addresses my actual point which was that the Blair government deliberately chose to use the wrong framework to judge one-to-many communications. I say deliberately because they *can't* pretend they didn't know what they were doing because Godfrey v Demon and several other cases were already defining the space and putting down the same barrier between one-to-one communications and one-to-many that exists everywhere else.

This is the central thesis yes, regardless of whether you want to call it "social media" the notion of posting things for anyone to see on the internet was (or should have been) entirely understood at the time because it was already being done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody tell them about pantomimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that distinction gets blurrier when I don't read 95-99% of SA, I read the things I am interested in and that's it.

Twitter just replaces me looking for threads with a robot deciding what stuff I want to see based on what I am already looking at/looked at previously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ "technically it was not my fault, you can't prove it was my fault"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't the TERF crowd already have a run up on Discworld by claiming that the way magic is handled in it means that Sir Terry was sympathetic to their cause? It took his daughter yelling at them for them to move on iirc. One of those moments where you can't possibly convey how stupid people are being because they just have no conception of how insanely wrong about every single thing they are

I have a vague memory of some people apparently thinking the whole dwarf gender thing was somehow agreeing with them, which is utterly nonsensical, and as learnincurve pointed out, it hard to parse monstrous regiment as anything other than being explicitly about how rigid gender presentation is stupid and people should be allowed to be who they want to be, pronoun switching and all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think being mean to sex criminals is a probatable offence unless it's biden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine the suggestion is that if everyone else doesn't give a poo poo and works to undermine everything you do, then you are a fool for putting yourself out.

Which is generally true if you don't subscribe to a virtue ethics kind of understanding of the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's also an option yeah, if they aren't taking it seriously it undermines the idea that it should have been taken seriously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure what the point of the bollards is? Like if you hit the kerb you'll still know about it, if you want people to slow down then a speed hump is better.

Just seems silly to have them there if the only thing they do is turn someone loving up their suspension into something that necessitates a recovery operation.

If you specifically want to keep HGVs out you could do the thing where you have to slalom across both sides of the road, or space some speed bumps so they catch one wheel of an HGV or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That genuinely looks absolutely awful to drive through. If a gap were that size and wasn't part of the road I just wouldn't do it.

have a look for yourself

There is literally a 30 foot bus lane in the middle just to make cars go through that, absolute idiot design IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean i'm not a driver, but is the problem not that the cars aren't slowing down enough?

In theory yes, the space is wide enough for a car and should be navigable slowly, but in practice there are a bunch of factors that make it harder to do that. If you're going along at a normal speed and aren't expecting this random obstacle course that someone put in out of seemingly spite alone, then you might panic and if there's someone behind you you might be reluctant to slam the brakes on, traffic tends to proceed at a sort of average pace dictated by everyone on the road anyway, so a lot of road design should be done with the intent of generating the desired speed via the nature of the road itself. Stuff like poor sightlines, pedestrian traffic etc, can help with this because if drivers feel generally unsafe they tend to slow down. The trick is creating the illusion of unsafety without actually making it unsafe, and if people keep hitting the bollards then it demonstrably is unsafe. People will slow right down for a blind corner but they won't just for a stop sign if they think they can see where they're going.

As I said you could probably achieve the same effect just with the kerb, because you will know if you hit the kerb, especially if it's a higher than average one, and once you do something like that once it sticks in your mind and you don't do it again. You don't have to total the car to achieve the desired effect and having crashed cars in the road isn't going to help with the usability of the road any.

Also like I said, normally my response to that sort of gap is just not to drive through it, which is entirely sensible driving, you don't get extra points for squeezing your car through the most awkward spaces, so if there's someone parked on the side of the road and a car oncoming I just stop and let the other car past first rather than trying to squeeze both of us through, or if I know there is a narrow single track lane I am generally driving with one foot on the brake and expecting to have to avoid oncoming traffic, or I just avoid narrow roads altogether if there are wider, easier roads available, but if you've come up to that obstacle you literally don't have a choice, there's no legal way to avoid it once you're at it and there's nothing to indicate it's going to be there, the rest of the road isn't like that, and unless the intent is to have everyone slow to a couple of miles an hour to get through it (it is presumably a busy through road if they are trying to stop HGV traffic) then there are plenty of in-practice incentives that push people to try and do it quickly.

Driving is poo poo and you are under constant pressure from other road users to do everything as fast as perfectly as possible, and when this inevitably leads to some people loving it up they just go "well technically this is your fault" which to me seems to ignore the actual reality which is that driving constantly pits a bunch of the rules against the general reality of driving, you should, ideally, stick to the rules at all times but people just... don't? Not all of them and not all the time, people aren't perfect robots (and the robots aren't much better at it either) and there are a bunch of perverse incentives to either drive too fast or to try difficult maneuvers because of pressure from other road users, so the real argument is that nobody should drive because driving is bad, but if you are going to have people driving it is necessary to engineer solutions to problems that work rather than ones that demonstrably do not such as putting surprise inescapable car demolishing obstacles in the road.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

My driving instructor told me to just ignore the passenger side and focus on getting the driver side mirror as close to the obstacle as possible without touching it. As long as your vehicle isn't actually too wide for the restriction, the passenger side takes care of itself.

I still instinctively take a couple glances to the other side but it's worked well for me so far.

Works fine for fixed width restrictions but jesus take the passenger side is less advisible for anything with dynamic obstacles such as other cars, street furniture, or people.

Mr Phillby posted:

Isn't the point of these things to force drivers to slow down?

Designing a self driving car that can navigate these things with maximum efficiency is like designing a car that can jump over speedbumps to avoid slowing sown.

If only there were a form of car desgined to perfectly navigate entirely restricted routes via mechanical feedback, you could string dozens of them together and make them really big and heavy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said I think you could achieve a better result with just a kerb, put some bigger, brighter painted bollards a bit further from the road (why are they painted the same colour as the road anyway???) and let people who do it too fast bang their head on the roof and lose their alloys. I don't know that totalling cars is very good for the people who live there or the drivers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Tesla is literally programming their self-driving systems to break laws in exactly this way lol.

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not driving badly by accident, it is a perfect, immortal machine, it's driving badly on purpose, idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the nerds-are-mad facility is actually my bedroom where my computer lives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you really want to play gun chicken with the yanks in a desolate wasteland then RAF Fylingdales is much closer.

It also has better google reviews too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Things that aren't political: the second world war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is nice to think nobody will dig up my corpse and use me as a sock puppet when I am dead.

I mean if you literally want to do that that's fine but metaphorically doing it to lend weight to your own terrible ideas would be annoying, if I weren't dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"wife guy but you are your own wife" sounds like some sort of extremely online zen koan about self esteem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw dads army on tv which means I basically fought the war

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't believe the russians might get the impression that our government are idiots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep reading FCO as the Financial Conduct Orthority and I wish I would stop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could be forgiven for thinking that given the last... however loving long where everything else has been thrown under the bus (including the literal bus) to prop up rich people.

It would be nice to think I might live to see a day where that changes but it seems increasingly improbable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that pro or anti nft because yes you literally can own shakespeare as much as anybody else can by copying it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the right click save as thing is what people do to suggest nfts don't signify ownership, so making fun of that idea is to assert that NFTs do signify ownership.

Whether this means the cartoonist does not understand their own point or not I don't know, this is why I do not look at political cartoons because they hurt my brain trying to process whether the cartoonist is espousing an idiot position sincerely or just is an idiot and doesn't understand anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lovely cartoon monkeys look lovely because they are produced using paper doll generators that produce certain elements with a preprogrammed randomness, meaning there are "rare" features which means that certain ones are "more valuable" because that is how value works apparently, you can say "oh my moneky is making the anime sex face which only happens 10% of the time, isn't that amazing, it's so rare" without anybody asking why you would want your monkey to be making the anime sex face.

It is the artificial scarcity of foil trading cards except instead of being non fungible by virtue of being a physical object, they attempt to render them so by having the receipt you mentioned, the actual file however can be funged at will and is materially identical to all other copies of the file.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems on brand for tories to quit over the suggestion that noncing is bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you could snort anything off gove, it would dissolve on contact with him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems odd to imagine that he isn't just one, or that there is a difference between consistently "pretending" to be a thing and just being a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

He's a closeted gay man who likes to enjoy himself but cannot admit it because he chose a life of pandering to cunts.

But the thing with right wing gay people is that they do not believe that all gay people should be free to be themselves, they believe that they should be free to do it and that everyone else should have it be used as a thing to oppress and control them. Which is entirely consistent with the way they view everything else in the world.

There are people who through their experience of discrimination, come to understand that it is necessary for liberation to be shared among as many people as possible, and the specific form of it they experience allows them to understand, sympathise with, and desire the liberation of other people who are oppressed in different ways, and who understand the necessity of universality if there is ever to be a hope of an enduring, safe, and happy world for them and others to live in.

And then there are people who just think "well what matters is that I'm rich and can afford to go to the right clubs where I can do what I want and everyone else can gently caress off"

Being gay, if gove even is, does not in any way necessitate that you are a decent person, it might give you a chance, depending on your circumstances, to find a productive kinship with a political movement that might make you into a better person, but it doesn't have to do that. It is very easy to find ways to integrate that part of yourself into a far shittier worldview. Gove works to produce a hostile, cruel world that hurts as many people as possible so that he can be on top of it and not subject to its cruelties, that's it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 3, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do youse really only have one air ambulance for the whole east of england?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"East of England" isn't just a term for everything from Newcastle to the Isle of Wight, it's a specific region comprising East Anglia and all the bits of England that everyone else thinks are in East Anglia but which insist they aren't, plus the Home Counties north and east of London. It's almost perfectly sized for a single air ambulance to cover - you can fly anywhere there from Cambridge in under 30 minutes, and has a population of about 6 million.

I was assuming it wasn't all the way to berwick because we have our own air ambulance up here based not far from james cook hospital, but I wasn't sure how big "east of england" would be, I thought there would be more people in it than that but fair enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be terrible if interest went back to where it was before 2008.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's great.

I've only recently got turned on to Folding Ideas, I really enjoy his videos.

He does hit with remarkable accuracy, also if anyone ever burns me as hard as he burned doug walker in his review of the wall I think I would just die on the spot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jamon hams, so fancy they sell them in asda every crimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you want to minimise the amount of heat lost to the environment, which means heating yourself first (layers) your immediate environment (room partitioning) and as a last resort, the entire residence.

If you are home of an evening I think it is relaxing and effective to just have a giant pile of blankets and just bury yourself in them. I drag my bedsheets around with me and then back to bed and then pile them all on top, keeps them warm and me warm.

If you have a big dressing gown those are good too, loose and comfortable but generally good at keeping your core warm. And a pair of fluffy booties are good for your feet too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 4, 2022