Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Party chat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

I worked two twelve hour shifts over the weekend. On the second shift I'd walked over 30,000 steps and handled a lot of heavy equipment (25kg being the lightest and 40kg being the norm) as had everyone else in my gang. Towards the end of the shift when all the actual work was done the decided that we should do some shoveling and frankly were we just too exhausted to do it. Anyway we started doing some but after 20 minutes decided to take a long break and I sat there thinking that really you can only get about 6 hours of useful work out of someone on my job. After that it's a very steep decline, I think another 2 hours of vaguely reasonable work and after that you're lucky to get anything much. On the end of the shift one of the lads was so tried that he didn't have the wherewithal to lift his leg over the rail and tripped. Fatigue is very dangerous, combine that with the fact we're all dehydrated and it's a surprise more serious accidents don't happen.

Anyone know if studies have been done on this and what the outcomes were, if any?

Was he badly hurt?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors...ift%20patterns.

quote:

Key principles in fatigue
Fatigue needs to be managed, like any other hazard.
It is important not to underestimate the risks of fatigue. For example, the incidence of accidents and injuries has been found to be higher on night shifts, after a succession of shifts, when shifts are long and when there are inadequate breaks.
The legal duty is on employers to manage risks from fatigue, irrespective of any individual's willingness to work extra hours or preference for certain shift patterns for social reasons. Compliance with the Working Time Regulations alone is insufficient to manage the risks of fatigue.

bunch of links on research etc

Managing rail staff fatigue (this is from 2013 so not sure if there's a newer one).

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/10934
I've lost track (pun not intended) of the infrastructure maintenance arrangements now. Are you employed by contractor or by Network Rail?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The fabulous Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine, Matching Mole, etc) has quit the Musicians' Union after 50 years because of their failure to support the vote to restore the whip to Jeremy Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/duduschka/status/1488204308407541760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQKhoEw2IQ

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm finding this phrase of people saying "We've been taken for mugs" and similar thoughts a bit weird. Surely "taken for mugs" implies you have been duped into doing something stupid. But those taking the covid precautions were not doing anything stupid, so they weren't mugs.

If you are doing something that is right, but someone else doesn't do it / appreciate it etc, it doesn't make you a mug.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

I would suggest it very much is. In the utilities sector there was, tragically, a double fatality caused by fatigued workers travelling back from a worksite and coming off the road in their car. It led to a complete re-work of shift pattern monitoring - which got some people's backs up because suddenly they weren't able to do 80 hour weeks and then clock on for weekend overtime. Getting home safe is much more important than anything else.

A former boyfriend was a Charge Nurse in a private hospital in London - on permanent nights. Supposed to be 12 hours x 7 on 7 off, but 12 hours was routinely 14 doing handovers etc, and when he was supposed to be 'off' they would call him in during the day, plus also if his oppo with whom he alternated shifts was on a course or whatever, he would end up sometimes doing 10-12 or more nights in a row with no breaks. There should have been 3 of them covering all the night shifts but the hospital was too cheapskate to employ a third (early 1990s, pay was £25k so in the scale of things not a lot considering the responsibility - at night if he was on duty he was the most senior person in the hospital and woe betide calling in one of the consultants from their fancy mansions out in the posh bits of outer London if concerned about a patient - anything really serious call the NHS ambulance.)

Anyway, he was driving home from work along the Westway and several times fell asleep and woke up with his head literally banging on the steering wheel. I finally persuaded him to get taxis home.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Goddamnit, fell into the trap of spending ages digging up evidence for something to show a rightwing person that they've been misinformed, when they don't actually give a toss. :bahgawd:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

I bet 'the older generation' we have to celebrate and support will start at 60 or so

About time .... (she says as 62nd birthday is on the not far off horizon..... )

:corsair:

Jae relieving her youth... ready for the moshpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3LJtqLALQ

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well they did fight in two world wars for our freedom, we should definitely be doing more for them like removing VAT on Jeremy Clarkson DVDs.

Only if they're over 90 years old now (even someone 14 lying about their age to sign up near the end of WW2 would be over 90 now).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I saw dads army on tv which means I basically fought the war

I fought the war and the war won.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

54% rise lol

I actually fixed for two years back in September but loving hell that's rough.

I fixed in October for 2 years with Octopus literally days before the market went completely bananas.

Our flats communal electric though is on a fixed rate until this summer. Dreading what it will be after that! It has to be a business tariff so don't know what's happening with those.

We put the service charges up by 1% this year (they're pretty low even the 2 bed flats are only on £126 per month) but all the other stuff we have to do is going up as well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So, this £150 rebate coming in via council tax bills, (a) will those getting single persons' discount have 25% less rebate and (b) does this mean local authorities/councils will get £150 less per council tax bill so even less money to provide services?

(Not expecting posters to know the answers, but given the Goonipedia of this place, maybe!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

The council tax rebate has an interesting twist for renters as there's nothing to make landlords pass on the saving to their tenants.

Is council tax included in rent* very often these days? When I was renting a couple of years ago, I paid it directly and everyone I know who is renting pays it directly.

*by which I mean you don't pay it yourself, whether or not it is a 'line item' on your rent, much as rates were normally added into the rent calculation by landlords not specifically stated as that giving gammon of the 1970s/80s plenty of Us And Themness to moan about (renters don't pay rates - well of course they do because Landlords don't pay it out of the goodness of their hearts, they would be including it as part of rent calculation).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Boris is like that guy in Star Wars.

Jabba the Hutt was one of the galaxy's most powerful gangsters, with far-reaching influence in both politics and the criminal underworld. There were no second chances with Jabba, something Han Solo would find out -- though the slug-like alien would ultimately fall victim to his own hubris and vengeful ways.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

UK has some of the oldest housing stock in Europe.

source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/292252/age-of-housing-dwellings-in-england-uk-by-tenuree/

With a few notable exceptions (London, Coventry etc) we escaped a lot of the war damage from various conflicts that much of Europe suffered in the past 150 years or so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All the twitters congratulating Anna Firth for winning 86% of the vote in Southend West (David Amess seat - uncontested by Labour or Libdems because of :decorum: )

Results:

In Thursday’s poll, the Psychedelic Movement’s Jason Pilley came a distant second in the contest with 512 votes, giving the Conservative’s a majority of 12,280. There were 1,084 rejected ballot papers.

The results for each candidate were as follows:

- Anna Firth (Conservative party) 12,792 (86.10%)

- Jason Pilley (Psychedelic Movement) 512 (3.45%)

- Steve Laws (Ukip) 400 (2.69%)

- Catherine Blaiklock (English Democrats) 320 (2.15%)

- Jayda Fransen (Independent) 299 (2.01%)

- Ben Downton (Heritage party) 236 (1.59%)

- Christopher Anderson (Freedom Alliance) 161 (1.08%)

- Graham Moore (English Constitution party) 86 (0.58%)

- Olga Childs (No description) 52 (0.35%)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One of the potential problems though if you don't heat all your place is the growth of black mould.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/dwp-could-monitor-your-private-22974725

quote:

DWP could keep tabs on your private life if you're on Universal Credit or State Pension
Benefits investigators can carry out a number of checks without consent, including look at your bank details and social media

The most common types of evidence include:

inspector reports from surveillance activities

photographs or videos

audio recordings

correspondence

financial data, including bank statements

interviews with you or people you know

any evidence submitted by those who reported you

One common form of benefit fraud is falsely reporting income, or failure to report it altogether.

If you are claiming unemployment benefits but are seen to attend a workplace, the DWP may talk to the owner or manager of that business to find out exactly why you are there, what work you are doing and how much you are being paid.

Investigators may also check your social media accounts and search your online profiles for pictures, location check-ins, and other evidence which may or may not be useful to them.

For info, about 3 years ago, my niece got a full investigation because she was trying to start a beauty business and advertised it in a 'secret' local group. She had to dig out 6 months of bank statements etc.
She had earned the princely sum of £10 at the time and spent more than that on fliers!
Whether someone reported her or whether DWP investigators were hanging around in the group I don't know.

(She has multiple health issues including losing her eyesight, rare form of epilepsy etc so self-employment is the only thing she can hope for.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apropos of nothing, Jerry Sadowitz hasn't done a gig since the start of Covid. In fact all of those really dangerous standups that do 30k corporate gigs seem to have hit writers block since Christmas 2019, weird that.

God he was dreadful. Saw him years ago down the Marquee.
Just filth. Not funny.

I saw a woman at a science fiction convention a few years ago who was supposedly a comedienne and all she kept on about was having a small pyunani (she was Asian) and loving Jewish cock. I walked out shortly followed by a host of others.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Evil:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/04/home-office-stop-paying-asylum-seekers-toiletries-medication

quote:

Home Office to stop paying for asylum seekers’ toiletries and medication
Letter to former Afghan guard at British embassy in Kabul says measures will come into effect on 11 February

Asylum seekers staying in hotels have been told by the Home Office that it will stop providing them with free access to non-basic toiletries and over-the-counter medication from next week.

According to a letter seen by the PA news agency, the measures will come into effect on 11 February.

Faiz Mohammad Seddeqi, a former guard at the British embassy in Kabul, has been staying in a hotel in Watford for almost six months after being evacuated from Afghanistan with his wife and son.

The 30-year-old, who received the letter on Thursday, told PA via an interpreter: “When we see this kind of reaction and decision from [the] Home Office, it means, ‘From now on, we don’t care about you, and we are not concerned about you – you need to manage everything by yourself.’”

Seddeqi’s brother, who also fled Afghanistan and wished to remain anonymous, said in response to the letter that he hoped those seeking asylum could feel “a little bit more” looked after by the UK government.

Refugees and asylums seekers at a makeshift camp in Dunkirk charging their phones via a generator set up by the Care4Calais charity.
Home Office defends right to seize Channel asylum seekers’ phones
Read more
“It’s very difficult for every Afghan person [who] left their country and came here, because everything has destroyed our country – the infrastructure, our aims, our goals … Everything has just collapsed,” he said.

“They are coming here to the UK … There was no other safe place, no other place for them to leave and achieve their dreams.”

The letter, from the Afghanistan Resettlement Arrivals Project at the Home Office, reads: “Until now, in addition to your universal credit payments and the accommodation and meals provided in the bridging hotels, we have provided some additional items.

“I am writing to inform you that from 11 February we will no longer provide those additional items and you will need to purchase these for yourself using your universal credit payments.”

The letter states that the asylum seekers will continue to receive “main meals”, including “baby food and baby milk”, but will no longer receive “complimentary snacks, toiletries [aside from basic toiletries] or over-the-counter medication”.

“You will need to pay your own transport or taxi fares to appointments,” the letter adds.

The Home Office has been contacted for comment.

It was revealed earlier this week that the UK government is spending £4.7m a day housing asylum seekers in hotels, an estimated £127 per person. There are currently 25,000 asylum seekers and 12,000 Afghan refugees in hotels, the Home Office told the home affairs committee on Wednesday.

MPs were told the government was “optimistic” that it would find a new way of working with councils “on how we manage these costs”.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, said the policy was “thoroughly inadequate”, adding: “We do not want people in hotels.”

She also said the government and local authorities were “struggling” to move Afghan refugees into more suitable, permanent accommodation as the country does not have sufficient infrastructure.

How the heck are people supposed to pay for these things when they're not allowed to work?
How are people supposed to not live in hotels at govt expense when the govt's own laws stop them being able to go rent anywhere (if they were allowed to work)?
Make councils pay but first make sure councils suffer a reduction in income when council tax rebates are made against the cost of electricity?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Get a partner who loves you the way Nadine loves Boris.
From the look on her face, I'm guessing he keeps her on a promise but never delivers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I remember having access to the internet in college in the late 90s and at home early-mid 2000s, so even in the sense of the broader population most people have had it for going on 20 years now. Although it'd make perfect sense that by 'we' she means either 'my household' or possibly 'the conservative party.'

We got it at work in the early-mid 90s (well email anyway!).
I was feeling 'left behind' by the mid 90s and got a home computer with... WINDOWS (was DOS before that) and my first home internet (33kb!! upgraded to 56kb a few months later) in 1997 (literally one week before Princess Di died) also had a tv card in it as I hadn't had a tv for several years. I had a windows pc at work before that but they wouldn't let me have a mouse because 'only people playing games need a mouse' so the whole value of a GUI interface passed me by for a couple of years as I still did everything by command line and keyboard shortcuts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it was never knocked down, but it is a gastro-pub now. They've at least kept all the original fixtures and fittings and TBH it's not actually that annoying compared to what they did to, say, the Commercial and the Ten Bells on Commercial Street.

That big Sainsburys behind The Blind Beggar, I saw a manager in there sneezing all over the open, uncovered cheeses a few years ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Bear posted:

That's going to go down like a lead balloon..

Yeah, some of my fb friends are absolutely frothing at the thought of Queen Camilla.
I couldn't give a cuss.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Former BBC journalist Guto Harri is joining Mr Johnson’s team as director of communications. He was Mr Johnson’s spokesman and chief of staff during his first term as London mayor.

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-latest-sunak-savile-rebellion-b2008274.html

quote:

Who is Boris Johnson’s spin doctor Guto Harri?
A former adviser to Boris Johnson and committed Remainer who once criticised the prime minister’s political style has become his director of communications in a Downing Street shake-up.

Guto Harri, who served as a key aide to Mr Johnson while he was mayor of London, takes on the role following the resignation of Jack Doyle.

Mr Harri was previously the BBC’s chief political correspondent and returned to broadcasting in 2018, working for Welsh free-to-air channel S4C.

He has said he held “very different views” to Boris Johnson on Brexit – and described leaving the EU as “a catastrophic act of self-harm for the UK”.

Mr Harri once took aim at Mr Johnson over a series of controversial remarks which he said were doing “enormous damage” to his former boss’s political prospects.

He accused Mr Johnson of “digging his political grave” and warned he would be “hugely divisive” as a Prime Minister

So why the fk has he become director of communications?
I would have expected Laura to have taken the job but maybe she knows she'd be tying herself to the mast of a sinking ship.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't he the guy who took the knee on GB News and then resigned and then it was all some publicity play, or was that someone else?

Yeah it was him.

Another giving the lie that the BBC 'news' journalists are anything but a bastion of right-wing tory worshippers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ha yes I didn't realize the layout of our office means me talking to my computer can be heard crystal clear by my boss until I happened to remark 'You fascist pig' when xero refused to play ball on something, and a burst of laughter came from her office followed by 'I love hearing you talk to your computer'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

They need to work on their marketing/brand image a bit then.

I just googled who they were and its the electronics store in Edinburgh (across from the Museum) that's been there for donkeys but I've always written off because it looks like a second hand store like cash converters.

That's probably why they're reasonably cheap! They've been around for decades. I used to use the one in Bloomsbury when I lived/worked around there so at least 30 years.

They do online as well: https://www.richersounds.com/

There used to be a computer store near there to, can't recall the name, but was similar in terms of looking like poo poo but actually being really good with knowledgeable staff etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There were loads around there but you're probably thinking of either Computacenter (still extant as a large-scale supplier to corporates) or Silica Shop, a name that will cause a massive burst of nostalgia for anyone who ever owned an Atari 8- or 16-bit. They were about 10 doors either side of Richer Sounds on New Oxford Street.

Those names don't ring a bell. I'm sure it began with an M - they used to do fliers with all their bargains on. We're talking late 70s early 80s here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Applications Now Open for Unite Wales Future Leaders Programme 2022

Unite are running this programme. You have to be a member, but if you're interested maybe you can join on the hurry up.

quote:

Applications are now open for our Unite Wales Future Leaders Programme. Our programme is about developing and inspiring future trade union leaders within Wales. Building on the success of our first programme, we will be delivering an exciting bespoke leadership course that is proven to deliver. It will give successful applicants the opportunity and confidence to take on leadership positions across our union.

If you are passionate about making a difference for members in your workplace and getting more involved in your union then this is the programme for you.

Our Future Leaders Programme is different to anything we have offered our members before. It is exciting and challenging in equal measure and pushes our members to realise their true potential. The course will develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive environment with other members from across Wales. The content of this year’s course will be shaped around the existing skills and needs of successful applicants.

Still not convinced? This is some of feedback we had from members who completed the last course. Why not join them and get applying…

“This course has shown me I can do so much more than I ever thought. Preparing short speeches and taking questions wasn’t easy at the beginning but I did it. It was a great confidence booster and I was encouraged every step of the way. I really appreciated the extra sessions that were given on a one-to-one basis. I had a chance to talk through my fears and hopes.”

“I got a lot out of this course and now I’m very determined to be more confident in applying for jobs and understand more about the responsibility that union officers have for their members. During the course, I was asked to speak at a conference and received compliments on my performance.”

We are looking to encourage members from under-represented groups, in particular our Women and BAEM members to consider applying for this exciting opportunity.

Whatever your background or experience within Unite Wales, this programme is about developing your potential and we want you to apply.

Please return all completed application forms to equalities.wales@unitetheunion.org by no later than Friday 18th February

Want to know more about the course?

If you want to know more about the course or have questions why not register to attend one of our Zoom drop in sessions. These will be held on Tuesday 15th February from 12-1pm and 5-6pm. E-mail us equalities.wales@unitetheunion.org and we will send you the Zoom link.

(Sorry I can't give a link to the application form as it is all coded with trackers and stuff ).

There's a twit about it here:

https://twitter.com/UniteWales/status/1489920268869021704

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Morgans? They were a bit further down New Oxford Street, in an absolutely hideous brutalist office block (now a hideous pomo office block with a Pret on the ground floor).

Yes, that's it!
Bought my first computer from there - 40MB - wow HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE) hard drive, MSDos 3.3. B&W monitor :D
(For comparison, the work computer which each department was allowed to book 1 hour a week on and had Symphony Suite for spreadsheets used two 5.25" floppy drives - no hard drive.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

Are tax refunds still a cheque? Not had one for years but they always used to be

Used to be.
When I moved abroad, I was due a tax rebate of over £700. They posted it to my sister's address which I was using but it never arrived (according to sis). I wrote and phoned but they insisted cheque only. After 6 months they finally relented and paid it into my bank account. Then my sis found it under a pile of papers on her husband's desk. :bahgawd: (obviously HMRC had cancelled it by then!)
Since then any rebates have been direct to bank.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I thought it was 100% satire at first, but loving hell, it's real. It's a new twitter account that just appeared on my radar, and one worth keeping an eye on.

https://twitter.com/DailyDorries/status/1490106262327025668

She was probably sobbing because of the cramps in her back with all that arching.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My dad had an Amstrad 8512 (IIRC - it was 1985 anyway) with 3.25" floppy disk and it ran something called Locoscript. Which was actually fab for writing my MSc particle physics thesis because it had all the Greek letters and was great for the superscripts and subscripts. I'd say it was better at that then than Word is now. (Did my PhD in LaTex).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInoZ8uIAao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Yeah I managed to afford a house because my dad loving died and we sold his house. That's about it. Without it we'd be renting. My sister couldn't afford it in london and the money she got from the house sale is almost all gone years later due to rent increasing.

We still had to pay several grand for a disposal company to remove the giant underground oil tank he'd buried in his back garden because he was a weird boomer who believed in the end times and wanted a fuel supply for when Russia invaded and we couldn't go outside because "the liberals" laid down and did nothing. (ha..ha hahahaha gently caress)

I miss the bastard a lot, even though politically I disagreed with him on nearly everything. Growing up hearing him say "I'm an old Tory! Labour spends, Tories save that's all there is to it!" over and over. It's no wonder I was a lovely liberal as a young adult.

Speaking of lovely liberals and calling the cops... Could do with some thread reassurance/advice.

I have a friend who's having some real problems at the place where she works, she's a tattooist and her co-worker is bit of a weird DOTA playing internet shitlord.
Odd sort, but wasn't anything too offensive. Just all the tact and personal skills you'd expect from someone who proudly announces they like to own people in DOTA. He would give her lots of unsolicited advice and try and 'mentor' her, often infront of clients.

This culminated in him being somewhat lovely to a client's friend who was making sure she was OK. My friend wrote to him afterwards (as he went on holiday) and asked him to please not do that and respect her clients and predictably he went off like a nuclear warhead. Giving her poo poo about how dare she say that to him, she's just an apprentice and should be thankful yadda yadda. She screenshotted it all and then blocked him on IM.

He then makes a new account on instagram and basically nukes her inbox with some absolutely awful, abusive, insane poo poo. Threatening to make her life hell, how he's going to make her scrub the floors with a toothbrush etc. Not to even look at her when he's back or he'll destroy her etc etc. All the usual tropes of insecure manchild online argument, except in text to someone he works next to... loving what.

So she tells my wife and I and we immediately say call 101 and report harassment (two sets of messages, circumventing blocking, feeling threatened etc.) but she doesn't want to cause trouble for the studio. We convince her to take it all to her boss and she does. He says he wants to sit them down when he's back and talk it all out and if he doesn't apologise he's fired...like you can apologise for that poo poo.

Apparently abusive shitlord also wrote to the boss and threatened the boss with a load of poo poo too but the boss won't immediately fire him (???), the boss believes in talking face to face with everyone first. We find out the abusive guy used to have screaming arguments in the back alley with his GF on the phone and punch trashcans etc. Totally great idea to put him in the same room as the person he's currently angry at, especially if he gets fired which might not even loving happen!

I've told her she really shouldn't go to that meeting without her partner IN the room, if she should even go at all and honestly she should probably just look for another job because if her boss doesn't 100% support her... not to mention violent guy who gets fired and knows where she works, when she works late, is often alone in the studio which isn't locked and walks alone to her car in an isolated car park? gently caress that. Her partner wants her to quit right now and I don't blame him.

How do restraining orders work? How do you actually prevent an act of violence occurring to someone when they are being harassed and the person is clearly unstable and violent but hasn't actually 'done' anything yet.

Boss will say it's a "personality clash" and do gently caress all. Source: similar poo poo in NHS with a big, fancy harassment policy that did nothing and management continually trying to bury complaints against bully boss and bully co-worker (not bullying me but others) until the police were called directly by witnesses (angering the management who had done nothing after numerous complaints from frankly terrified women working alone - or so they thought - at night.
Call the cops next time he does it. Might put the frighteners on him. And yes, would be ideal if she could leave and find another job but may be difficult especially as there'll be no reference.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

There was a report a couple of years ago that concluded many retired people are stuck in large homes because there's not the right sort of property in the right locations for them to downsize to, and we should build them to help fix the market. Of course the terrible press decided to run with "They want to kick you out of your home" angle.

In my town there are very few small houses or flats available and very poor public transport to the more outlying areas. Taxis are hugely expensive and aren't that available but I shan't digress into my solutions for local transport in semi-rural areas!

Also there's another issue which I think gets left out of the conversation and that's how many older people actually home their kids and grandkids sporadically. My mum has housed various adult grandsons for months at a time, and one of my brothers who lost his tied accommodation when his workplace closed down, and I know other people also in their 70s and 80s who have had adult children move back in with them, often accompanied by young kids, when marriages or partnerships break down. One couple in their 70s I know have had two adult daughters and 3 under 5s move back in with them as both had marriage breakdowns in the last 2-3 years. There's not a chance on this planet of either of them being able to afford their own accommodation (rented or bought).

Mum finally sold her house but is now being a 'property guardian' until she can get somewhere suitable. She kept getting gazumped by cash buyers on places she tried to buy before she sold hers, but now she is in cash buyer position.

All my life until the last couple of years, I've always had the 'comfort' of knowing if the poo poo really hit the fan I could go back home to mum and dad (despite it not being the most desirable thing to do) and I always felt a bit sorry for friends who did not have 'the ultimate fallback' of that eg a couple of friends brought up in the care system.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm terminally online and have a physics degree and I barely understand what crypto is

A couple of threads ago we were talking about the surprisingly large number of adults that can't even use negative numbers, what loving chance do they have

It is a Very Leftist position to use legislation to protect the financially illiterate from pyramid schemes

I get that some people need protecting from themselves, but when I know what I'm doing (not crypto btw*!) but some stupid law prohibits me in order to protect Mr Bloggs who believes all those Nigerian Prince scams, it gets me a bit cross. :bahgawd: (Papa Jaeluni springs to mind - he fell for all those things all the time despite numerous warnings from myself and my siblings, because 'people don't lie' and 'you have to show trust'.)

Can't think of one at the moment but I've encountered it somewhere. I know I've had to go through some song and dance mini-quizz routine to prove I know that my capital such as it is is at risk when putting money into 'investment' savings rather than into the building society.

*same as you - physics degree but don't really get it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WTF?
Is this real? Anyone here still in the party and got this email? (The tombola bit)

https://twitter.com/eddietheknife/status/1491558922670555140?s=20&t=lio1V7VGC8r22BkjbsgSDg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

In the 1990s*, one of my brothers won a weekend in a hotel London and £100 to spend at Gary Rhodes "Peoples' Palace" restaurant at the South Bank. He invited me to join him and his wife at the restaurant as I was living in London. The portions were pretty small and while the food was ok, we wouldn't have spent that much money if it was out of our own pockets.

*most probably - might have been before or after.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 11, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is why people should be banned from politics at 60, they don't have the neuroplasticity to adapt to new ideas. If you think Kissinger is anything other than an argument for extremely post natal abortion, you need to admit your brain has failed and you have no moral compass.

Show me the research that says over 60s can't adapt to new ideas. Stop with the ageism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

There is plenty of research on reduced neuroplasticity in the elderly
(not on work laptop so can't link fulltext).

But as you point out, it's a bit ageist nonsense to say that no-one over 60 can adapt. And I doubt the researchers are using 60 as a cutoff age since people tend to work another decade past that point now anyway

I'm on phone too and about to go out but I would like to see how they control for other factors such as lack of education in earlier life (school leaving age was only raises to 16 when I was already in school, CSEs (pre GCSE there were o-levels that only about 20% (IIRC) of kids took, CSEs were introduced as a qualification for wider range of abilities but many kids left school without any qualifications. Only a small % of kids went to uni. Now I have to go out so have to suspend thoughts here.