Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I made a conscious decision not to compare it to Discworld at all and enjoyed it hugely. Weirdly I think had they tried to make it more like the books it would have been much, much worse for it because it would have run into the literary equivalent of the uncanny valley - I certainly liked it far more than any of the other attempts to film Discworld.

I haven't watched The Watch - my attention span is too shot for much TV these days - but I always thought complaints about it not being true to the books were flawed from the outset, because, well, if you want the books you can read them. Most of Pratchett's best writing isn't dialogue and isn't stuff that could really be translated to the screen at all AFAICT. I'm OK with adaptations in a new medium going wildly off-piste - in fact I really don't want adaptions of books to supplant how I imagined the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I should probably watch The Watch just because it seems stupid to comment on people's complaints when I haven't, but if I do, I'll try not to let myself think it's bad just cos it's not like the books. If it's bad just cos it's bad, that's fine, a lot of bad things exist

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

BBC News - which my mum keeps on TV in perpetuity for some reason - is simply saying 'BREAKING: Northern Ireland Protocol'.

It sure is.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I remember playing Arkham City and thinking 'you're beating these generic henchmen unconscious, in their vests, in the snow, in the middle of a humanitarian crisis run by supervillains'.

Batman kills hundreds of guys.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

And when everyone's in NATO... no-one will be!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I visited Bath recently and it is a strange place in many ways but the Georgian architecture really is lovely. Though it did strike me that all the single-glazed sash windows must lose a lot of heat

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Barry Foster posted:

I'm 35 and I'd love to be "done", to be honest

I'm still young enough to feel like I should be doing something useful with my life, but old enough that I just don't have the energy to start again

So yeah, I'd love for no-one to have any expectations of me anymore (least of all myself)

I would like to be as irrelevant as possible, pls

:same:

Looking forward to being forgotten when I die

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

a peerage is a pretty big handout

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Oh, so now even the ATLANTIC is trans??

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Free tests scrapped to pay for Andy's settlement

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So how much of Andrew's sudden charitable impulse is down to him realising that with Her Maj circling the drain and Charles loving hating his guts (he's apparently the reason Andrew finally got his duties and titles stripped) he realised he could suddenly find himself very, very alone so decided to get Mummy to get the chequebook out while he had the chance?

Is money even something that really exists for him? Surely as soon as their attempt to get it thrown out failed, his lawyers must've been like "please please please just pay up and stop being a stupid oval office for once in your goddamn life"

He would've had to have been a loving moron not to, but

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Looking forward to southern England blowing away tomorrow

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I also liked when he did an interview ~in the Metaverse~ and his av was jiggling because he was trying to drink a cup of coffee and he explicitly described his headset, fundamental equipment for the product he was paid to promote, as 'wretched'

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Why wouldn't you just ask your fellow strikers how they feel about it

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Imagine just doing stuff without actually caring, or needing to care, how humiliatingly badly you do it

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Bobby Deluxe posted:

popcorn options

poptions

but you can't rank them, they're only popinions

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Hadley Freeman has poo poo for brains and so does Sonia Sodha.

This isn't really a 'post' insofar as it contains no new information but I feel better for saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I still don't think a full-blown invasion of Ukraine is very likely and I think even if it does happen, NATO and the West in general aren't gonna do poo poo

I am a profoundly ignorant person so please explain why I am wrong