Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TACD posted:

Was trying to find out exactly what the Starmer / Saville thing was since I missed it and:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-hits-back-at-boris-johnson-over-jimmy-savile-slur-2b38c5l05

Seems like quite strong language from The Times, they’ve started rolling out the same language they used to sort-of-not-quite call Trump a liar

i knew the timelines crossed but the whole establishment was turning a blind eye and not just him right? or it wasn’t even on his radar at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kingturnip posted:

Today I feel a bit unwell, so I have woken up early to do a lateral flow test, so that I can call in sick nice and early and spend the day alternating between taking some naps, playing some video games and occasionally checking my work emails.
LFT is negative.

I'm not sure I believe it, but I now get to run the gauntlet again; travelling on one of Greater Anglia's plague wagons - overcrowded, because they're running a 'reduced timetable' and with no effort made to enforce mask-wearing - desperately hoping that I can stave off catching covid so that I can actually go on my holiday in a couple of weeks.

there’s another horrible cold going around like last summer, i was sure i had the ‘vid last week but nope just negative after negative test so probably some bog standard rhinovirus or something

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuctifino posted:

Agreed. It's quite karmic too.

Back to that guy who confronted Starmer, he was the one who confronted Gove.

https://twitter.com/freeworld143/status/1451207517032251399

https://twitter.com/Imranicus/status/1450817552431599617

wasn’t that shade of blue the brexit party? i only know because the cuktig morons were rightly mocked choosing a transparent colour or some poo poo for their logo so i’m on the up and up with colours

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

once keir is pushed out by the new leader streeting i bet there will be articles about how keir was a throughly decent man brutally attacked by an antivax mob set on him by the lovable oaf boris, who gloriously led us through the first dozen covid waves as best as anyone could do

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the tattoo is only for working class scum debate was settled when we had the minor scandal of samantha cameron being revealed to have had a tiny dolphin tatt on her ankle, and after a day the chattering classes agreed they we cool and good actually

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it is interesting that it was a while since we had the proper paedo panic flames fanned by the Sun / BBC et al (a mob burning the paediatricians house even!) but it seems now that this stuff is bubbling up organically, seeded as it were from several years ago through the mainstream media

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

it’s a bit disingenuous to imply that the danger from Omicron cases in a mostly-vaccinated population is the same as the initial 2019 wave of cases in a totally unvaccinated population

e: genuine question - is there any research that’s been done into the likelihood/severity of long Covid cases developing from Omicron infections, or is it still too early for that?

you need at least 3 months of symptoms before you can classify it as long covid

therefore if you’re just constantly getting reinfected by the same omicron then you’ll never technically get long covid *taps head*

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah we did our first scouting trip of Canada before moving here in 2018, and part of that was visiting lots of different cities (Vancouver, Nanaimo, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto plus a few more between Van/Calgary) and also searching for house prices in each place. We looked at what was available for $400-450k (about £230-260k) because we were selling my house in the UK for ~£230k (up from £165k when I bought it) and figured that was fairly easily affordable. There was lots available at the time, in all of these places except for Vancouver and Toronto, but by the time we'd actually moved here (Ottawa) just 6 months later it was starting to get a lot harder.

My wife was earning as soon as we got here but we thought we'd wait for me to get a job and then be able to afford stuff more easily, but in the meantime house prices started going up by 20% year-on-year, so we ultimately said gently caress it and bought a place in 2020 so as not to get priced out of the market entirely. Was an awful experience, bidding wars on everything - we saw like 20 different houses and made bids on 5 or so before getting one accepted, and even then we were competing with someone else and had to up our initial offer. One house we saw had 28 bids. We ended up getting a place outside of Ottawa proper because we couldn't afford anything closer to town. The place we got is a decent size, and detached, but we had to stretch our budget to the max and it needs about $100k (£60k) of work done on it to bring it up to a nice standard. I'm not talking about spaffing £40k on a kitchen either (though it does need a new kitchen to replace the 30-year-old one), I mean stuff like the cladding/siding is 35 years old and hasn't been maintained so needs replacing, windows and doors need replacing, the garden is gravelly scrubland and the fence is falling down, stuff like that.

On the plus side, I'm learning about home maintenance stuff. This past week I've been repairing damage to my kitchen ceiling caused by a roof leak. Plastering a big patch of ceiling is a complete fucker, especially if you've never done any plastering before. I wish I could have started with a wall, at least.

We were lucky in a lot of ways, having a deposit from selling my house in the UK (which I was only able to buy in the first place because I lived with my parents til I was nearly 30) and my wife finding a reasonably paid job. I have no idea at all how anybody younger than me and especially without living with parents will ever be able to afford to buy a place. My wife and I are in our mid 30s and we can just barely afford our house. It's poo poo. My house has probably gone up in value by $100k or something since I bought it but I don't give a poo poo, it's all imaginary money. We did benefit a bit from UK house prices going up and getting into the Canadian market before things here went *too* insane, but it sucks to have to move to another country to do that, plus 99% of people don't have that option in the first place (even doing all the immigration stuff etc. costs money, too).

Yeah I know a couple of people who had bitcoin fairly early on. One made £200k... but then their coins were stolen. The other bought in when they were $20, sold out when they were at $200. Made like $20k which, you know, is not to be sniffed at but is not the $5m+ they would have made if they'd held on for longer.

don’t want to upset you now you’ve done it but have you not seen those stretchy pvc ceiling things you use to cover the ceiling instead of plastering it , bit late now but next time it may save your sanity

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i could absolutely believe someone like starmer only got 36 more followers on twitter because it’s twitter, a site which probably has topped out the number of real humans joining it and anyone who would like starmer probably already did during the election

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i bet he’ll be on GB news soon enough to rage against woke cancel culture

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the true anon podcast has a nice episode giving a quick primer on the modern ukraine

the short and curlies of it are that it isn’t a straight black or white picture we see on the bbc, but of course a complex web of local factors

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it is interesting seeing the contorsions by identity politics minded journos trying to square how a gay woman can be evil / incompetent

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mebh posted:

REALLY good summary on Ukraine and how we got here https://youtu.be/obMTYs30E9A

Follow on video I'm just going to watch on "what now?" that he just posted too.

like the bellingcat shoutout, and he seems a wee bit bias against the eastern ukrainians imo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s so impossible for me to comprehend how many jews were murdered across the east, most of them out in the countryside not in the camps like the movies portray. like whole towns of thousands of people emptied out and gone, and quite a lot killed by jealous antisemitic locals not just german nazis themselves

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Russia-Ukraine crisis: UK won’t be able to fly people out - minister

afghanistan is too recent to properly memory hole i guess

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only new party you could probably set up would be like the five star party in italy, just some weird online thing with a broad base sprinkled with lunatics

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s a shame that corbyn didn’t win because i am curious which colour they would have used for our own little colour revolution (probably blue lol)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sinky posted:

Austerity 3(?): Austerity Harder

x

Not sure how the National Insurance increase ties into any of that :thunk:

well you wouldn’t want to raise taxes on passive income now would you

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Corbyn is a podcaster now.

https://twitter.com/corbyn_project/status/1493271161676996610

Praxiscast team, you know what must be done

this better be about zane malik and he’s going to weekly go through the one direction boys and then other boy bands

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

he wants more victims you see

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm not sure who this dude is or why he flaps his jaws on TV but this clip has strong "he who smelt it dealt it" energy.

Allegedly

one of the most important bbc people, and very likely to the most important in a few months 🪦👑

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Or, the two worst insurance claim fraudsters on earth.

i’m a wind is actually going to the left truther

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

amazing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Just think how funny it's gonna be when a new variant pops up and rips our arse out before we're even aware of what's happening because we don't test anymore

They won't be smiling and joking then!

EDIT we've received reports that they will definitely be smiling and joking then

back to everyone arguing about which graph to use , deaths or icu or died with or of etc etc

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

marktheando posted:

oh hey ukmt, i forgot to update my bookmarks for february, did i miss anything interesting this month

the journos melting down over the trojan horse affair pod cast were quite funny

i’ve just finished it and well, let’s just say the entire official narrative was a bit off

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol this is pure posturing, any report is obviously going to say it's a terrible idea to reintroduce a totally unintuitive system of byzantine weights and measures not used by any other country save the US and which the majority of your own citizens don't fully understand. Even the olds I know work in metric now. Who is this for? The same people wanking over maybe being nuked I guess.

E: also I'm pretty sure it is legal for shops to use imperial measurements, they just also have to show metric. What are they suggesting, making metric illegal? Lmao

if you can remember “the metric martyrs “, the main guy behind it kept getting caught by trading standards because he kept ripping off his consumers with imperial weights which were well below the actual weight advertised

essentially it’s a boon for small business owners for scamming everyone who don’t bring their own scales to the shop

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

time to send in the scot’s guards 707 men + a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if it’s any consolation the american minute men, who man their nukes, are apparently all depressed or on drugs, and don’t bother with any safety protocols on their old tape computers because why bother no one is going to check on them