Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Personally absolutely loved The Watch- the ‘Steampunk with emphasis on the punk’ aesthetic seemed to be basically laser targeted at me. I just stopped comparing it to the books and enjoyed it as it’s own thing.

On another note, am I alone in being somehow relieved that Douglas Adams passed when he did, with his legacy intact? From reading around about him and the like, I very much get the impression that he’d have got a Twitter and made an absolute arse of himself in one way or another- be it extreme atheism, trans issues, misogyny in general or just being an aggro prick. He was a genius writer but as opposed to Pterry never seemed to be a particularly good or nice person with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Well bugger. Tested positive for Covid last night after I realised my wife’s avo toast (made with five cloves of garlic and a huge amount of horseradish) just tasted of ‘vague tingling’.

Had severe congestion and insomnia this week that I thought was a problem I had last year coming back worse, so in some ways I’m almost relieved.

Just hope my sense of taste comes back- I need that!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ok, so now I’m cross.

As mentioned, I’ve got Covid. It sucks (though my case is quite mild- so much so that I thought it was just a return of unrelated problems. My wife has been much sicker.)

First symptoms showed up Wednesday last week, positive test taken on Saturday and I had a PCR test on Tuesday. So expectation was that I’d be free again on Saturday after the required 10 days isolation. Which has hosed my business and life over, but is survivable (incidentally if the goon with an order still outstanding is reading this, please make contact as to how you want me to proceed- I’ve emailed with no response).

I entered the code from the pcr test into the NHS Covid app today, and it wouldn’t let me select the date I first noticed symptoms. So had to go with ‘I can’t remember’. And now I’m being instructed to isolate until the 26th.

Losing a week, I can manage. Losing two in the run up to another large event in the first week of march will basically kill my capability to trade there, and utterly gently caress my earnings for the next couple of months. So my question to anyone who knows is, what should I do? Is the Covid app date checked up upon? Assuming I pass the ten days since first symptoms and/or get negative lft results, am I still stuck in here for another week on top of what I’m doing? Will I get in trouble if I go out before then in spite of negative tests and the original self isolation?

I realise this is me probably working myself into a lather unnecessarily, but my autistic nature about Rules is beating me around the head about it all, and frankly I /need/ to be shopping and cooking and mailing next week or I’m utterly hosed.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks for the advice, all. Looks like I’ll be back in action this weekend then.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has your sense of taste / smell returned? Was worrying about this the other day, seems sort of important.

Hard to say. The other day I could smell something constantly, which I eventually realised was the inside of my own nose (given you mentally block it out, having lost my sense of smell I stopped doing this so that was a weird 24 hours). My sense of taste is.. muted, but certainly better than it was at the weekend.

I’ve obviously not been cooking this week (due to both feeling too rotten and the health risk factor), so we’ll have to see how things shake out next week.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

You would be welcome. Like I say, I met up with some folks from here just before Covid hit with the aim of starting a D&D game, Twisto for one, and Camrath. You can check with them and make sure I'm not scary ;)

Can confirm, no one got murdered and only slight injuries and psychic damage were reported.

Feedmegin is nice, about the least scary person I can think of and resembles nothing so much as a background character in the Shire.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 18, 2022

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

In seriousness, if I didn’t live 150 miles away now and wasn’t selling fudge at a convention that weekend, I would totally be down to attend.

Midlands goonmeet when?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

G1mby posted:

Thursday night at Empire maybe :D

Every time I think about going to Empire (friend of mine is trying to get a group going in the League) I go to the faction Facebook page, see people bickering about whether kit is ‘too 1600s’ or whatever and promptly reevaluate things ;p

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

G1mby posted:

Yeah, it's a LARP I ref for : https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Main_Page

The Internet Facebook makes you stupid. There are some proper gatekeepers on those pages sometime

Basically I have no confidence in my ability to produce fancy kit, and every single post I see on fb makes me feel more and more that it’s not the game for me.

Orion Sphere, CP and some Eyelarp games are my menu for this year.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

G1mby posted:

Perfectly fair :) I've heard some excellent things about Orion Sphere

You should give it a go! Come be a space-fash! (The space-fash ‘baddies’ faction almost entirely consists of leftists and LGBT types, naturally)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Lost the fence at the back of the garden today. I
Our neighbour (Lovely old dude, super friendly, dread finding out what his politics are..) popped over to fix it.

It was really quiet (just wet and nasty) almost all day but when the wind did come it was with a vengeance. Sounded like a jet engine. We’re on the crest of some high ground, so it was pretty intense. The cats went absolutely bananas, poor things.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I’ve warned my wife that the TV will be mine all weekend for Elden Ring.. had to trade the next weekend to her for the new series of Outlander.

Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jakabite posted:

Any of you got VR? I’ve got a quest 2 and I’m going to get round to hooking it up to my laptop tonight, and would like some friends to play with. I’m thinking elite dangerous but open to suggestions

Quest 2 rules.

It’s almost a year since I last played ED, but I could be persuaded to jump in tonight or tomorrow :)