Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
https://twitter.com/MinnieStephC4/status/1488473974245892097?t=QLr5pgvjgAHnQtA1lpt_Cw&s=19

Absolutely disgusting and completely unsurprising. Content note for racism, misogyny, homophobia, domestic violence in the report. How the gently caress do you reform that?

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Apropos Gove, I recently heard from a reliable source that the Westminster gossip is that our 'favourite' Pob lookalike has been pretty quiet recently because his boyfriend has just moved in with him. Given the overwhelming "will this do" aura to the levelling up white paper, I can believe it.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Re Jimmy Carr, I saw him do a set at a corporate awards show about a decade ago. It was, not exaggerating, the most unfunny "comedy" gig I've ever seen, and for a few months afterwards every work conversation I had started with "god, can you believe that [industry body] booked Jimmy Carr, it was absolutely awful". Even in a room of (mostly) middle aged white blokes at mid/senior manager level, his routine went down like the proverbial cup of cold sick.

The main "joke" I remember from it was a bit about him "persuading" his girlfriend to have anal sex. It was completely disgusting and misogynistic, and so so very unsuited to the milieu.

Weirdly, I saw right-on leftie Marcus Brigstocke at the same event the next year, and he was actually well-received. Everyone said what a relief it was after the Carr crash the previous year.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The Carr apologia from his media mates reminds me of nothing so much as when the friends of someone accused of abuse spring to their defence with "oh but they were always so lovely to me!" like yes of course they were??? Because you were part of their bulwark against being held to account for the harms they caused?

I don't know Carr's motivations and don't care to. All I can do (as a good existentialist) is judge him by his actions and words. He has a long track record of "joking" about rape, disabled people, and minorities (and other marginalised groups) in ways which damage those groups' abilities to live peacefully, so yeah I'm going to say pretty confidently that I think he's a oval office, no matter how ""lovely"" he is to his peers.

e: I've always liked the number 22, it is the departmental number of Côtes d'Armor in Brittany where I've spent quite a lot of time.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Ah, even Sky News forgetting the rule on how to spell that surname - it's "-vile" as in that's what he was. A rule popular with tabloid hacks back in the day even before his crimes were well-known outside media/police circles, apparently. Isn't it lovely how they all knew, and said nothing?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've said this before about the nature of coverups and "Everyone knew", but you don't need a vast conspiracy of hundreds of people for these sort of crimes to go undetected, the weight of society does most of the work for you. "Everyone knew" about Savile but then also "everyone knew" about Marc Almond, or Elton John, or Michael Douglas (not the goon) - rumours about celebrities sexual proclivities are as old as celebrity itself.

Of the people who actually *did* know, the majority would of course have been his actual victims, and the vast majority of them, sadly, would have said nothing for all the reasons why the victims of predators say nothing, but with the massive multiplier of his celebrity status meaning if they *did* say something to a parent, relative, friend, even a teacher or police officer, they'd have been encouraged to keep it quiet by many of them because the Big Telly Man couldn't possibly have done that, you must have misremembered it or made it up (and they may even have been told that by multiple people).

Then the ones who did know about it, and even believed it, would have felt that same crushing institutional force against them *without the institution actually doing anything to bring that force to bear*. The Nolan Sisters knew about Savile - he groped and propositioned one of them, and the others 100% believed her - but didn't say anything because he was one of the BBC's biggest stars and they felt they wouldn't be believed, and that it would destroy their careers if they pushed it. Now imagine how much bigger the power imbalance - and that weight, felt even if never imposed - was on just some poor random kid in the TOTP audience or a hospital bed. I don't know if Savile ever made that an explicit threat but he pretty much didn't have to, society was making it for him.

Savile got away with what he did for so long not because a group of crack BBC Men In Black were running around intimidating people into silence, with everyone from the doorman at Television Centre to the Director General enthusiastically asking him about his activities like they were discussing the weather and threatening to disappear anyone who made trouble, but because centuries of cultural conditioning programmed everyone from the doorman to the DG to just disregard anything they might have heard because to do otherwise would be to break the status quo and risk their own careers and livelihoods, especially as to almost all of those people it would have been just as much of an outlandish rumour as the contents of other stars stomachs or rectums.

This doesn't excuse the (often willful) blindness demonstrated by multiple people at the BBC but it misses the point if you paint it as a problem with specific individuals or groups, the problem is holistic, and you risk letting other predators go undetected if you don't also address that.

Multiple victims did complain to the police, and all their cases were buried. We all know that the police exchanged information with the tabloids so it's utterly unsurprising that the very serious allegations were indeed common knowledge in a certain milieu. If anything it's an indictment of how victims were and are treated in far too many cases by police when they try and report, even in cases where their attacker isn't a friend of literal royalty and the then-prime minister.

Believe me, I am very well aware of how rape culture operates, and how victims are systematically silenced. I don't think anything in my comment indicated otherwise. It's not engaging in conspiratorial thinking to point out that Savile's crimes were well-known enough for the "vile" epithet to be used as a grim aide-memoire by journalists writing about him, who certainly knew he was a wrong 'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It isn't off-topic when the Tories use it as a dead Ukrainian cat strategy to distract from Boris being a drunk loving idiot.

This is actually what my (Tory minister) MP said to me in a reply to my email about Partygate. Blah blah leave the police to do their job blah blah we now need to focus on the geopolitical situation. Utterly useless but I expected nothing more!