Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'The Watch' should be deriled and ignored imo.
It's the standard 'wait until someone talented dies, get their IP, and poo poo out something terrible out to gleam fame and money from the famous dead person' method of TV/movie scumbaggery.

The Watch was in production while Terry was still alive, with Rhianna Pratchett and their own company working on it.
When they signed over the rights, they were ignored and had no input whatsoever.

It's not a labour of love or homage.
It's a quick cash in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/BJPMarshall/status/1489162691176448004?t=SVA4zxhTq7UHlPbVbBRaLA&s=19

Happenings are afoot. I'm sure this won't spiral into anything unpleasant

One weird trick on how to get back the NI of 100 years ago.
Fenians hate him!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-60236456

quote:

Here it is: Regulator Ofgem has announced that the energy price cap will rise by £693 in England, Wales and Scotland from April.

That will cause bills for the average customer to rise to £1,971.

Time to invest in Bailiff and Bodybag stocks!

Edit: Lol and gas companies have had best profits since 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress today is just a poo poo pile of bad news.
Bank of England even going 'poo poo gonna get bad for you poors yo'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Macron to French public : I will put you in a world of poo poo

British public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTU4dKpoB8

The Tory Front Bench:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JD-Y9DFbN8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Spangly A posted:

ok

Do you just not remember this?

(Ken Clarks hot mic)

quote:

He added: “He did us all a favour by getting rid of Boris. The idea of Boris as prime minister is ridiculous.”

lolololololol ah the before times. So innocent.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Gove is a master of hiding and camouflaging himself from what he has done.
He's one of the few, prob only one, that stuck up for the £365 million bus lie that even Boris and Farage ran away from like Use Bolt.
He is/was in charge of customs for a while, when they were meant to get ready for Brexit or hire enough on the grounds workers for it.
But the average rando on the street would think him as one of the good tories.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

what possible practical use can be gained of ranking all the Tories in a league table of most to least cunty

To group them properly to maximize the entertainment at the guillotines.
You don't want to peak and only have the least worst at the end.
You would want an equal amount, open with a worse one, then a few middling to least worst ones, then the last few for the worst of the worst.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

big scary monsters posted:

I was going to say. Weird high ground to take that you're happy to work for a man who is personally a hugely reprehensible piece of poo poo and lies with every breath he takes, and to further the goals of the party filled with people like him (among them personal friends of Savile), but you can't possibly stand for a throwaway insult that isn't even really all that far from the truth.

The Saville thing is just an excuse to leave.
There must be something really bad Boris has done that is not known yet.
Be it drugs at the parties that the Met are trying to cover up, or they know they are hosed next election.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Boris is like that guy in Seven.
You know hes a cheeky monkey, but you just want to see how he will torture and kill his next victim.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Are not UK homes notoriously badly built compared to most of Northern Europe? I remember hearing a lot of horror stories from friends living in London.

Yeah, same with Ireland.
I work with a lot of people from the rest of europe, and they laugh at how basic houses are here.
Like how heated floors are rare here, but common in places where it is needed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Do poppers on the bus and put your hands down your trousers.

Flashback of the former, met a school friend never met for years at random on a bus going home.
Sat together and started chatting.
He pulled out a bottle of poppers and just started sniffing away on it.
Offered me some, but didn't take it.
He was going to a party and wanted to start early lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Trickjaw posted:

Apparently, he insists, when goes to the hairdressers, on having a screen around him so other patrons can't see him getting his hair dyed. It's his laugh that is most annoying though, like a braying donkey.

To be fair no one wants to do that in public.
And a celeb, its just asking to be plastered all over the front pages of the sun or mirror.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Saddam Hussain lied up as high as 96% approval rating for himself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

lol this rules, I really do need to actually watch Jam, I keep remembering to and then forgetting again

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0Ocau-CUg

Which reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDka-OqwtI

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Everyone south of Birmingham talks cockney.
Everyone west of Birmingham alternatively talks manc and scouse.
Everyone east of Birmingham talks geordie.
Everyone north of Birmingham talks glaswegian.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Friends was a weird one for me. It used to be THE thing to watch, living in a student flat of 8 at the time, and all of us would come down and watch the newest episode religiously.
Then a few seasons in something in the brain when ping and just saw it as the same five jokes over and over and over and over again. Hated it since as with most US sitcoms from that time.
If I ever go on an on the spur killer rampage, it will be just after watching Everyone Loves Raymond.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
To be honest, never heard Chubby Brown say it was good that certain races died.
Vagina, dick, and racist jokes sure.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Maplin seemed aright when I went in a few years back, I wonder how they went out of business while lovely companies like curry's are still going. Who's going to bloody curry's in 2022?

They went out of business for being a lovely company.
There was one just beside my work, and all of being computer geeks would check out the place if we needed anything.
It was great if you wanted small item poo poo that you didn't want to wait for a week via Amazon, like network cables.
They were then caught increasing prices in September/October so they could then reduce them back to the original price at christmas and claim it was a sale.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 6, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

This is how retailers pretend to show savings. Every business does this, as in it's standard practice. A national company has to have just one item in stock in a single branch listed at the higher price for a month. Then the following month, all the other branches are flooded with stock and those items are advertised with the false saving.

I did not know that.
I know that Curry's were caught having a 'we will refund the difference if you find it cheaper within X miles' and the X was always just short of the nearest competitor.
All other places within the radius was Curry parent company owned, like said before PC World, and Dixons.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 6, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Mine was an Amstrad CPC 464, with colour monitor.
First every game played on it was Oh Mummy. Then Harrier Attack.
Borrowed Elite to play from a friend, and was smitten by it. Loved that game.
The cassette tape copying industry was alive and well and thriving in my town.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gambrinus posted:

Sometimes I listen to ZX Spectru loading sounds on YouTube.

I watched all the Dizzy playthroughs recently. I loved those games. The only one I didn't complete was Treasure Island Dizzy because of that fuckwitted item selection thing were you could accidentally remove the snorkel while underwater.

I never completed Spellbound Dizzy without the infinite health cheat either, but that must be almost impossible to do normally. Slogging over to that Sandstone Quarry was a right pain in the hole after the first dozen trips.

Was mental about Dizzy myself. Had the pleasure of meeting the OliverTwins when I went trying for a game coding job in their place in Leamington Spa.
Loved to have worked there, even though they were doing shovel ware poo poo even poundland wouldnt stock.

Edit:
And sad Spectrum story. Friends uncle was a nerd too, and he had an original ZX Spectrum box never opened, all parts in it, no box marks, pristine. Got offers from £500-700 for it.
He died from a work accident, and they sold it in a job lot with all his other stuff, didn't see the value in it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

it is interesting that it was a while since we had the proper paedo panic flames fanned by the Sun / BBC et al (a mob burning the paediatricians house even!) but it seems now that this stuff is bubbling up organically, seeded as it were from several years ago through the mainstream media

Last big one was Sharon Matthews I think.
'The next Maddie!' the papers thought, with wall to wall coverage, and once it turned out it was the mother, probably dampened going full in on the next one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Jesus, Major is giving a good speech atm.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

Major is live here if you want to watch.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
So we can assume the timeline went:

*garden pic released*
Boris: that was a work event!
*xmas party pic released*
Boris: I was not at any xmas party.
*pic come out where boris is quiz master*
Boris: I was not AT that xmas party.
*Inquiry called for, and started*
*MET asked to investigate*
Boris: Cressendra pal, do us a favour.
Dick: The MET finds no evidence to start an investigation.
Boris: Thanks Cress *wink*
*Gray Inquiry actually investigates and finds damning evidence*
Gray: About to release it in 5...4...3...
Dick: poo poo HOLD UP NOW WE NEED TO INVESTIGATE!
Dick + MET: Oh poo poo what do we do, we said there was nothing but now there is.
*pic showing boris, bottle of bubbly and tinsel*
Dick: Boris, what do we do here?
Boris: Sorry but there is no one here called that. Please leave your name and message after the tone.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 10, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are there cities that don't have those 2 jobs?

I think loads of cities don't have a Batman.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Convex posted:

He mostly beats up goons that are just trying to make ends meet. Probably has a little plugin on his batscanner that highlights the ones that don't have health insurance so he can really go hog wild

And instead of investing some of his high tech company knowledge and money into making security better at Arkham Asylum, he allows the shoddy security there to maintain the constant cycle of criminal threat over the city to further increase his companies profits.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jiggerypokery posted:

I've never eaten a Michelin-star. I assume it isn't worth it

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it's a restaurant with a chef you recognise from the telly, it's probably overpriced and shite

We took my mum out for her birthday to some 1 star in Derry/Londonderry.
Cost £47 for three courses, and in total there was about 10-12 mouthfuls across all of it.
Went to a chippy afterwards to get proper fed.
And the chef was on Masterchef UK as the celeb guest chef.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Marmaduke! posted:

Saw a local chippy offering an "Irish curry sauce". Can only guess it has whiskey in it, extremely not cursed. Must give it a go sometime.

Do, its goes well with chips, salt and vinegar actually compliments it unlike the non-irish curry sauce you get.

We even have crisp flavour for it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 11, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Saw a few blue ticks on Twitter saying that the Russian military has been told to prepare to invade. Would be pretty funny if Johnson stupidly saying we were only using the diplomacy to trick them while we fortify ended up being what causes this to kick off.

Not funny as in actually funny, darkly funny that war is caused because our embarrassment of a prime minister wanted to distract from his myriad crimes and scandals by trying to be Churchill and ending up more like Fredrick North or Chamberlain.

A nuclear sub just appears off Aberdeen and unloads russian soliders to take over the place.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Then you get to Dundee

Which is also actually quite nice and has the best looking landscape around it I've ever seen visible from a British city centre

I loved Dundee.
Granted was only there for a few days, but I found some art centre/restaurant with amazing food, and a pub that was straight out of Still Game.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

and Lemmings statues.

That was why I was there, was trying to get in with a gaming company that turned into DMA Design that then turned into Rockstar.
In some alt universe I made a GTA game.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

I thought I'd discuss this still a bit further.

Yeah, its language that is the barrier that defines most tribalism identity.
People have been going to other countries can continents for thousands of years, but teaching a second language to kids only really started a century or two ago. And only then to the rich kids.
And your brain finds it hard to learn languages after the age of 12. So adults get stuck in their way with their only language.
So you went to France, but your kids only speak English, so they stay with their family and other english speakers.
You don't get to learn about France's history or how good the place it, only how England was.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

"We defeated the racist party that wanted to renationalize the utilities and deport everyone foreign, and all we had to do was empower an equally racist party that wanted brakes off libertarianism and also deporting everyone foreign."

This UK remake of Dune is a bit lacklustre imo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Fuckwit looks like an NFT.

Edit: Yeah, this guy is a fucker. From wiki, "also wanted to see the creation of a London Health Service, controlled by the Mayor of London, but with no National Health Service administrators transferring to it.".
Guess who was an advisor of the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson? poo poo, its himself!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 13, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
lol UK taxpayer money has paid to keep pedo Andrew out of jail.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Comrade Fakename posted:

When I was in sixth form our college’s union went on strike because they’d had 12 consecutive votes of no confidence over the college’s principal, all of which were unanimous against him. Anyway, my maths A Level lecturer was in a different union that didn’t believe in striking, considering teaching to be a profession like nursing that was too important to risk a strike. She informed us that on the strike day, the class would be held as normal, and if we didn’t attend we’d be marked as absent. So, she demanded that we cross a picket line in order to go to maths.

I don’t think anyone went.

In NI here there are at least two teacher unions, and for some past strikes we would go in and just some teachers would be in, the others have empty classes
The good days where when all your classes had teachers who were off.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 17, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
What happens to the money when Liz goes Norwegian Blue?
Do we keep seeing her eyes follow us around the room, or telling us to set fire to things, every time we hold a fiver up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
King Chuck, inches from your genitals.