Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm willing to die on the hill of social media being a product of Web 2.0. Forums, bbs, icq/irc etc. are all the old (good) Internet and do not count.

Friendster was the first I consider as 'social media' as we know it. While Friends Reuinited / Classmates etc were definitely more like a standard forum.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

Six Degrees was considered to be the first social media site, and that launched in 1997.

Yeah but like who used that.

I'm sticking with Friendster as the social media genesis as I'm a decrepit hipster and remember the summer when every Glasgow scene kid used it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine being Graham Linehan.

https://twitter.com/_banquos_ghost_/status/1488508028286644234?t=nsjiMK-j0DVWyJFj57iFKg

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

EvilHawk posted:

It's kind of funny that everyone's Very Mad about this Saville remark, but there's been absolutely nothing about Boris accusing the Labour frontbenchers of taking drugs. You'd think someone in the media would have picked up on that.

Too much jeapordy considering the drug taking suspected on the government benches. There probably is evidence of this happening and its a can of worms.

With the nonce stuff well they could bring up Ted heath I suppose but easily countered with Peter Mandelson and Rotherham grooming gangs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Those drivers should just go slower. No need to be any faster than 15mph in a built up residential area.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Michael Gove has expressed his real views, many times, he's a oval office.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It may be moral to keep an empire because the fuzzy wuzzies can't look after themselves.

- Michael Gove, your hero.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We are, at last, experiencing a new empire: where the happy south stamps over the cruel, dirty, toothless face of the northerner. At last Mrs. Thatcher is saying, I don't care what half of the population is saying, because the richer half will keep me in power.

- Michael Gove, one of the better Tories.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Boris is like the main character in a Woody Allen film, physically and emotionally repulsive yet somehow still attractive to younger women despite the fact that his whole vibe is 'weird nonce'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Home office policy is deliberately malicious in order to :

* appeal to domestic audience of racists who vote Tory
* discourage people from attempting to claim asylum in the UK
* encourage those in the system already to just die, just kill yourself already, gently caress off and die
* oh are you still here? Have you considered maybe just dying?

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 5, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope whatever happens we get more Chinese ambassadors openly laughing at how useless British military power is now.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the edge of Brick Lane market, under the arches of the Bishopsgate Goodsyard, was the Tinker's Market - a name I only just realise is almost certainly racist - where every stolen bike in London was sold on along with pirated music, games, and VHS tapes. Ebay is impressive but you can't buy a Peugeot ten-speed with a suspiciously clean crank, a third-generation VHS copy of Return Of The Jedi, and a bootleg of Bob Marley's final concert there, can you?

Just had a Proustian reverie reading this post where I'm standing in the covered section of the Barras waiting for some guy on the Amiga stall to finish copying all 9 Monkey Island 2 floppies while Ebeneezer Goode can be heard faintly in the background over the sound of the sausage auction.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga didn't come on nine discs. It came on 11 discs!

THIS GUYS A NARC! GET THEM!

In my defence I think this was a fully fabricated memory formed of a patchwork of similar experiences. It wasn't the Barras it was Ayr Sunday Market, it wasn't Ebeneezer Goode (that's a separate memory from a day at Inglestone matket), and it wouldn't be MI2 as my folks would be too cheap to stump up the money for 11 pirated floppies, more likely to be Lemmings 2 or the Chaos Engine.

Memories are weird.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Totally passed me by until reading here that Carrie Symonds was one of Worboys victims. Awful for her, and almost certainly going to be dredged up in the upcoming press assault on Starmer.

He should resign now to be honest, because if Johnson survives to an election I can see him scraping a few more years in number 10.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Return of the £36,000 Avocados
https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1491035027467128835

You'd think people would have learned not to spend that much on avos after the first ten times they were warned.

These numbers do not make sense. Does the article mention any other source of their deposit?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol I've been living like an aesetic monk for about five years and have only now scraped together what she claims to have saved in one year.

Like it's totally possible to save for a deposit if you are willing to cut spending to the bare bones. I just wish these articles would be honest about that.

They only ever seem to highlight the stories of "I paid cash for a house and live mortgage free at 20 by cutting out avocados and getting a 200k loan gift from my dad.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 9, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1491318560555249668?t=z_AS3swMocEXnlhvSTBPfQ&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Now we're free of the EU we are no longer shackled by stupid red tape like your olive oil can't be carcinogenic and your meat can't be pumped full of hormones.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't wait till we get rid of the rules compelling shops to display the unit price for food. Daft euro nonsense.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Truss operating at full capacity I see.

https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1491730304716918784?t=8ZwLY6ueiqIGn8x9BQ72gA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Love that UK foreign policy is now that Jam sketch about hiring imbeciles to win arguments for you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Queen (to stage left) : Physician, prepare the royal speedball.

Prince of Wales: Actually I'm feeling a lot better.

The Queen: Seize him Beefeaters!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

dr_rat posted:

You'd think the UK government would know better then sending in anyone in their current cabinet to any meeting that was actually important.

Were you asleep for the entire brexit negotiations?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
dicks out boys.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Khan puts Dick on the chopping block.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was pretty jarring listening to a New York based podcast once and all the ads were for Arnold Clark and The Bed Shed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This guy is gone now

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1492088420700721160?t=fXx9yP96wDG1SzBLrfx6Xw&s

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Johnson doesn't have the stomach for war. He may revere Churchill but he isn't a bloodthirsty murderer *side eyes covid figures*.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Irish are a great bunch of lads.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I thought the Irish curse was a propensity towards alcoholism, or having curly hair or something.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Russia should just join NATO then all this wouldn't be a problem.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1493155244951302146

Kind of obsessed with this potential play. Can those (fictional) Momentum thugs stoop any lower than wanting to deselect a noble MP for the minor infraction of *checks notes* murdering a homeless person while drink-driving?!

She wasn't an MP but the point still stands.

Jose posted:

honestly the public really should get to see what complete psychos the labour party MPs are more often

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 14, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It was a good troll and I feel that what it tells us about Emma Burnell does contain an element of truth.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I forgot that Livejournal was somehow still a thing in Russia / Eastern Europe.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04 posted:

Amusing to see the SNP mooting women-only train carriages and getting at worst a lukewarm reception. As a Corbyn policy it somehow faced a fierce backlash twice over.

Joanna cherry going to start demanding genetalia inspection before entrance to to woman's carriage is permitted.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fun background wallpaper for this afternoons wfh crew

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1494631851499130899?t=0C2rDuPXBkCKEXFMbaN2UA

Edit extremely beaten

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rip the millennium dome.

https://twitter.com/BJFHubbard/status/1494642147336851490?t=84MRh5_3HsHL460xHQZw1g

https://twitter.com/BJFHubbard/status/1494650273549201408?t=0oN3RAajjodSEiU81vijIg

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Blair's legacy in tatters.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Very not windy in Glasgow for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Very much enjoying the news that the big jet TV guy has a sworn enemy.

https://twitter.com/BigJetTVLies/status/1494686032901685249?t=o52f6N9XjNNICq3b0kiWGg