Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm finding this phrase of people saying "We've been taken for mugs" and similar thoughts a bit weird. Surely "taken for mugs" implies you have been duped into doing something stupid. But those taking the covid precautions were not doing anything stupid, so they weren't mugs.

If you are doing something that is right, but someone else doesn't do it / appreciate it etc, it doesn't make you a mug.

I think it’s more “the government must think that we are mugs for going along with their rules while they ignore them.”

At least that’s how I’m interpreting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I recognise that picture of Sunak - that's from the FourPure bar when he was absolutely not trying to gently caress one of the kegs. that weren't even affected by his new changes because they were too small

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bashing the torygraph is pointless here of course, but a couple of bits that really should have been challenged if this was an actual article and not just a political lobbying piece.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

However, he described the Decent Homes Standard – which measures to what extent a home meets a “reasonable state of repair” – as arbitrary and subjective. "I would be very concerned if the social housing measures are applied to private rentals. It would be counterintuitive." :qq:

Just going complete unchallenged. Why is this counterintuitive?

they will sell up, increase the shortage of homes, and rents will rise,

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

Shockingly poor, but unsurprising, all round.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I loved the office and still think it’s great.

At the time I thought Gervais was playing a character fantastically. And now I realise it’s the only one he can play, and it’s an exaggeration of himself.

Merchant is great, and I suspect was the real brains.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to resuscitate this discussion once again, but induction hobs are way better than either old electric or gas cookers, except maybe for wok cooking

Completely agree - with the exception of woks (because you don't have the flame travelling up the side) inductions are 100% the poo poo, and everyone with electric hobs where they have the authority and funds to replace them should do so.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just Another Lurker posted:

How are they with cast iron?

My old electric ring cooker is slowly rusting away atm.

I'm pretty much 100% cast iron, due to finding a great le creuset offer on in Debenhams when I was 25 and figuring this would be a good investment. They work brilliantly with cast iron.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

Eh, strangely when it comes to big ticket white goods or home appliances I trust them over other places.

For instance I got my chest freezer and TV from them in the last few years.

I had originally got my TV from Amazon but it was one of those Amazon sellers or whatever they're called and they not only shipped me a broken shop floor model with a cracked screen, but they were some England only chain and gave me hassle about the delivery into Scotland (both the first time and in picking up the broken tv).

Curry's basically gave me the service you'd expect in the 21st century. I ordered it, they showed up with it. No fuss.

I would absolutely go to somewhere like Curry's over amazon for appliances like that. One thing I've realised with amazon is that when buying goods of that value you have to really really check that they're actually sold by amazon and not fulfilled by them, because the latter you'll have to speak with the actual seller for any issues, and who knows if they're any good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Ditto the Gender Gang sounds like a saturday morning cartoon from the 90s.

https://twitter.com/DrDavidHughes19/status/1490457051356663808

loving hell David "non racial aware family has started to ask where have the whites gone." Hughes.

Borrovan posted:

I bought my computer from Curry's/PC World when they had an offer on for a 1 in 20 chance of a full refund. Jumped through all the hoops designed to stop people from entering, then won, and they just... didn't pay me. Lots of very long phone calls with an outsourced call centre that didn't actually have the authority to do anything about it, kept being told they'd call back but they never did, then they just closed that phone line, so I sued them.

Was honestly surprised they settled in full the day they got the court papers, was expecting them to drag their heels for a few more months.

Absolutely love this. Feels like they hadn't actually got a process for if someone finished all of the tasks and I love that the just threw up their hands and went "gently caress it, we out."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Imagine just being straight up bodied by your new press chief like that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s also not as “random outraged people” as it looks apparently:

https://twitter.com/pozzywozzy/status/1490800200159485958?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

If I had a time machine, I'd just bring back a notebook full of winning Lotto numbers.
One good jackpot win and you are sorted. And if you pick one of the draws where the winning amount was going to get reset it arguably won't effect the timeline by denying someone else the money.

Plus you never have to explain how you were so good at picking stocks/cryptos. Just "the numbers came to me in a dream."

In the show 'Travelers', this is exactly how the time travellers make their money. Because they can't bring anything back with them they have travellers who train from birth to be a 'historian', who learns things like stock market events, lottery numbers, baseball scores - anything you could make money from - for their funding.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

OK, but what's CFR? Because without knowing that this doesn't mean much. COVID Fatality Rate?

Case Fatality Rate - it's the number of people who die per confirmed case.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

If a place sells michelin tires it should count as a michelin star.

The Michelin guide was developed by the tyre company as a way of encouraging people to drive around France visiting restaurants.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It also allows them to serve up to date ads - I was catching up on some story podcasts from a few years ago, and was surprised to be getting up-to-date COVID adverts.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bump_fn posted:

fun american tale in the 28th virginia battle flat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28th_Virginia_battle_flag

union soldiers captured this from the confederates from the war and virginian chuds keep asking for it back and minnesota is like "lol no we won it from you"

"a request by the governor of Virginia to borrow the flag in 2013 was also declined"

yeah, probably a good idea Minnesota. "we only want to 'borrow' it, we will absolutely return it after pinkyswear".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

My very elderly mam did randomly nip round and drop a cheeseburger through the letter box and had a chortle from the end of the drive about dropping groceries off for us vulnerable young folk which made me laugh.

Absolute mam power move, I love it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

I am never not going to imagine the gym attenders as looking like the guys from the meme.

Top right looks like he's naked apart from a cushion. I will not be changing my mind on this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The guy on the stream mentioned that they only get 3 attempts before they have to divert - I'm not sure if that's a full on rule at Heathrow or just best practice.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

Soo.

Omicron does not look likely to kill us all.

East London Goon Meat in Stratford at the gaming pub my abortive D&D game had session 0 at? (Sessions 1+ derailed by global pandemic). Maybe I dunno *draws times out of hat* Saturday March 5th 6pm?

https://www.escapebars.uk/stratford

Here iirc. I am double jabbed plus boosted, probably doesn't need saying in here but I would hope nobody with objections to vaccination is likely to show up.

Absolutely up for in general, but I'm away that weekend. I'll do another one if it's successful and people want to repeat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s perfect for them - they get to wank off over WAR and NUKES and all they without, you know, the actual risk of it happening to them.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

God, I’m just so bored of him, he’s just such a sad, petty little man. Poundland Trump.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

we all financially support a twink, no need to show off

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The only correct answer to BBC QT "would you press the button" type questions is "I already did" and then refuse to elaborate.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CONSTANT is a wierd way of describing the lowest level. I mean, I know what it's going for, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Two Minutes To SPAFF

To puuutttt another (7th? who knows....) unboorrrnnn in a WOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMBBBBBB.