Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Segregation and American economic dominance on the back of a destroyed Europe, a closed-off Second World, and a still-colonized Africa and Asia permitted brief intra-White competitive peace for positions of wealth and success. That cannot be replicated and it would be monstrous to try.

Yeah. So true.

But we could do the same thing now, in terms of quality public schools and affordable higher education. But we wont.

The college thing was a huge advantage. Millennials are totally hosed with student debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Vasukhani posted:

also citizens being members of a state, belonging to it and making it up, is just republicanism. I actually don't think many Americans are okay with True Republicanism and would prefer a quasi feudal system with noble rights and privileges.

Plato's republic has little to do with republicanism as defined in a modern sense, and it's actually describing a totalitarian society.

gently caress Plato

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

quarantinethepast posted:

Plato's republic has little to do with republicanism as defined in a modern sense, and it's actually describing a totalitarian society.

What you're feeling is fear, instinct. It is the force that ripped apart bands of homo sapians each time they got too close to centralized authority, the force that prevented true cooperation until 5 short millennia ago.

We are at another moment like that right now.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Vasukhani posted:

What you're feeling is fear, instinct. It is the force that ripped apart bands of homo sapians each time they got too close to centralized authority, the force that prevented true cooperation until 5 short millennia ago.

We are at another moment like that right now.

Uh no, I'm just recognizing a trend of behavior and the disastrous consequences of it. It's also exceptionally cult-like.

E: I'm going to also refrain from replying more to you because I don't want to entertain a crackpot

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 4, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The incompetency of the response to the plague has essentially doomed America as a hegemon, both due to the display of rampant ideological incompetency that it it has spread through its alliance system as well as crippling its workers through widespread sequellae, and its educational and medical systems as workers either die, suffer sequellae or flee for the hills.

It probably wasn't the only cause, but it was the last straw.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Huge global resurgence via direct military power then everyone dies imo

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

JBP posted:

Ehhh, getting a good supply of warm bodies might be difficult with a lot of long covid around.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

JBP posted:

The US is gonna have to waste a lot of resources fighting rebellions in its own territory if it goes hyper fascist. It's not going to be a bang but a whimper

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

If anything we or the successor states will remain relevant for that alone

"Relevant" is a highly variable term. You can have nukes but still be a loving joke and international pariah. I'm expecting US successor states to be either decent places or North Korea but with Jesus.

StratGoatCom posted:

Ehhh, getting a good supply of warm bodies might be difficult with a lot of long covid around.

It's worse and even more simple than that: Imagine that the US Military has not actually recovered from the fall of the Soviet Union and had already gone all in some really expensive flashy programs to counter imaginary Soviet threats and gave gently caress all concern about anything else while everything else is just 1970s tech but with LCD monitors. But since you mention manpower: Most GWOT vets are still alive and probably not thrilled with the idea of their little timmy enlisting after their time in.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If nothing drastic happens we’re seeing a slow ottoman style decline as america transitions into a techno-feudalist state where everyone gets progressively worse but by bit as the compounding social inequality and climate change kicks in also expect China to speed ahead of the US in every development standard

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Also expect China to speed ahead of the US in every development standard

China's development is going to be hampered by an aging population and low birthrate. I don't doubt that China will find innovative solutions to the problem, including automation, but it's still something to consider. Hell, maybe future advances in medicine will increase longevity and por ende keep workers in the workforce longer.

China is also going to be affected by climate change, including the Yellow and Yangtze rivers drying up. China has been a bit forward-thinking in this regard with projects like the Green Wall of China.

Looking forward, I doubt China will continue to see the vertiginous growth it has experienced in the last 3 decades and the CCP seems to be aware of this. The key to success for China is that they're not obstructed by partisanship and can plan for the long-term to make the most of what will be inevitably a difficult situation. Slowed growth is better than complete collapse.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 7, 2022

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019
I think climate change will be survivable.

However...

1.) This will greatly effect the U.S. dollar and you will see a decline as a petro-backed dollar will slowly disappear.

2.) US Markets are going to decline as the world becomes less energy and petrochemical dependent upon the U.S.
(While we do have oil and gas, we do not have proximity to the major EU or Asian marets)

3.) The world isn't going to want to invest in the U.S., because of the insanity.

4.) At some point the world is going to want the debt that is owed to them because the U.S. government and American populace has a tendency to spend money friviously.

4.) US population will begin to go negative. Poplation growth (births + immigration) is 0.6%.
People are not having children because the housing and healthcare situation is frankly laughable

However, I do hold out some hope...
1.) The boomers will eventually die-off. (And covid helps remove some of the anti-vaxxers)
2.) Some of the young republicans today actually care about the climate.
3.) More and more younger generations are leaving religion.
4.) More younger people seem to be having more empathy for their local communities.
5.) Younger generations recognize the advantages of universal healthcare and free college (and trade school) education

While I recognize things will probably continue to get worse in the interim...
I think there is hopef for the future.

However...

The 2024 election and 2024-2028 years as well as how local states manage their laws, will probably be the deciding factor for the path ahead.
IMO, Biden should not see a second term (but he should pack the justice department.) Also I don't think Kamala Harris has enough interest to win the presidency. But we'll see. I want the party to field someone, who has enough interest to win.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Uh no, I'm just recognizing a trend of behavior and the disastrous consequences of it. It's also exceptionally cult-like.

E: I'm going to also refrain from replying more to you because I don't want to entertain a crackpot
Give'em a break, he was all pissy that Athenian democracy killed his teacher. Plato made a lot of really insightful points, and did not have the same benefit of hindsight we do. Pre-Socratic and Epicurean philosophy should get a lot more love though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

SA-Anon posted:

I think climate change will be survivable.
Agree.

quote:

2.) Some of the young republicans today actually care about the climate.
3.) More and more younger generations are leaving religion.
4.) More younger people seem to be having more empathy for their local communities.
5.) Younger generations recognize the advantages of universal healthcare and free college (and trade school) education
What is the actual material impetus for those who control the government and economy, to take the necessary, but seemingly insanely draconian, steps necessary to prepare for the inevitable changes and limit future warming? Public opinion empirically has little effect on US policy, so even if the younger masses begin prioritizing climate mitigation, there is no clear path that I can see where those in power will do the work of what needs to be done. In such a "good" scenario, our economy, physical urban environment, and lives will change beyond recognition.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

God willing, we will live to see a triple stuf Oreo

Oh baby do I have the cookie for you

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The result of the Floyd uprising was a nationwide increase in police budgets and CHAZ killed two black kids and covered it up.

Excuse me, Cleveland from Family Guy is now no longer voiced by a white guy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Parrotine posted:

My god, we've finally done it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Parrotine posted:

We've gone too far. This is how empires fall.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Agree.

What is the actual material impetus for those who control the government and economy, to take the necessary, but seemingly insanely draconian, steps necessary to prepare for the inevitable changes and limit future warming? Public opinion empirically has little effect on US policy, so even if the younger masses begin prioritizing climate mitigation, there is no clear path that I can see where those in power will do the work of what needs to be done. In such a "good" scenario, our economy, physical urban environment, and lives will change beyond recognition.

Because we are nowhere near at the point of a self sustaining system that puts them outside the bounds of being subject to destabilization.

People think that we live in a complex mish mash of robust systems, when they are actually pretty delicate.

They, like the rest of us, will learn this the hard way..unfortunately.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

RaimioGor posted:

This is my first post on here but I'm excited to see what everyone has to say. I'm wondering, what do you think America will be like in the future? Maybe 10 years, 20 years, or 100 years. It can be video games, the government, movies, or just random stuff. I would like to hear what everyone has to say.

Hi RaimioGor and let me be the first to say Welcome! Sorry nobody else said that yet, we got caught up in your question!

I think and hope there will be more goatse delivered to the average citizen, not just we proud few.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Federal Reserve will issue it`s own cryptocurrency within 5 years, perhaps sooner.
Labour contracts that obliges the worker to accept payment in a cryptocurrency of the employer`s choosing (including one they have issued themselves) will be legal and normalized.

Once the boomers are mostly gone i can see there being a new great awakening with a moral direction that is more compatible with modern mainstream beleifs. So not explicitly anti-Lgbt or pro-racist. Climate anxiety is only becoming more and more widespread and profound all over the world and religion has always been a way for people to deal with despair.
The preacher can either instill hope in heavenly intervention or explain that the suffering of the world is all part of the great masterplan that is coming to it`s ultimate fufilment very soon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the issue with that prediction is that cryptocurrencies don’t actually work. Like not that they don’t work morally or ethically but that like, they are largely nonfunctional on the things people say they could do and that is just glossed over because people aren’t using them to do things, just using them as a backplate for mlm scams. Arbys couldn’t pay you in bitcoin even if it wanted,

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
News about police stuff is scaring the poo poo out of me, like the news stories I head about LA. One of the worst departments in the country, and there is stiff competition. The sheriff is actively fostering white supremacist gangs, with murder tattoos and everything, while saying anyone points this out is a spooky Jewish Soros puppet. Some idiot pig unloaded an assault rifle into a teen girl in a dressing room last month, and he's reportedly a wannabe "reformer." LAPD shootings went up last year. And in mayoral debates, every candidate tripped over themselves to say they'd increase funding to them. It isn't a craven calculation to appease Republicans, they want this.

All that energy from 2020 and all the memories of the wanton, sadistic violence the police inflicted is gone, except for among some easily-ignorable activists. There are marches for the girl, and Amir Locke, but the national media is ignoring them. Meanwhile Republicans are still baying for blood over poo poo from the Obama years. I don't know what the path forward is when the one side is set up to just purge black people.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It's possible that digital currencies could be advanced by the US government, as it is being in China with the digital yuan. In fact it's currently being explored by the Federal Reserve. But those currencies are distinctly not based on a public ledger.

If you want to see an example of crypto being adapted at the national level, look at El Salvador where users of the national app for access to Bitcoin are experiencing widespread identity theft and it's more of a tourist lure than a substantial change in everyday people's lives.

I think if anything crypto is going to be a fad that slowly dies away because it doesn't get institutional backing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

The sheriff is actively fostering white supremacist gangs, with murder tattoos and everything, while saying anyone points this out is a spooky Jewish Soros puppet.

Woah can you provide some sources? I believe you but my google-fu is failing me in this situation.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Woah can you provide some sources? I believe you but my google-fu is failing me in this situation.

Quote about Soros:
https://mobile.twitter.com/vps_reports/status/1407857062873165828

Article about demands that county supervisors stop talking using the term "gangs"
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-02-17/sheriff-villanueva-deputy-gangs-cease-and-desist-county-supervisors

Sorry, I guess I was conflating separate things.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Came for the tankie brain worms, got ban religion, left satisfied

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just because its a bad idea does not mean it won`t happen if enough rich people stand to temporarily benefit.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's 2035, and all across America, Amazon Habitation Clusters dot the landscape. At 5:30AM, your Amazon Alexa-enabled SmartBed gently transitions you from sleep to wake (joke's on Alexa - you've never had a good night's sleep since you signed on to work for them). Softly, music starts to play as the lights slowly increase in intensity, mimicking the rising sun in order to take full advantage of your circadian rhythm to wake you up as comfortably as possible. "Alexa," you stammer "read my my schedule for the day," only half-listening to the soothing, digital voice's response as your run your officially licensed Amazon SmileMaker toothbrush over your fuzzy morning teeth. Small goods packaging line today. You notice your teeth aren't quite as clean as you'd like them after rinsing, and instruct Alexa to have a fresh one requested for your unit. "Sure," the digital voice responds, with algorithmic friendliness, "I'll deduct 250 SmileCoins from your wallet and your new Amazon SmileMaker will be here by the time your shift is over. Can I help you with anything else at this time?" You respond back affirming that no, your normal morning cup of coffee will suffice, and you step in the shower another 25 SmileCoins poorer for your daily hit of that black gold. It's quite a steal, really - knowing a cup of Whole Foods's best Colombian blend is waiting for you after your shower has become a comfort, and you get it at a premium since you're on contract with Amazon.

You step out of the shower and towel off. "Alexa, uniform please." As you dress in the crisply-laundered (50 SmileCoin service fee!) blue-grey jumpsuit The Company's come to be known for over the last decade, your video-enabled security system monitors your progress, alerting the driverless shuttle assigned to your shift of the ready state of each allocated citizen of Smile City on its route. After sucking down your now tepid cup of coffee, you head downstairs - it used to weird you out that ever other occupant in the building was nearly in lock-step with your morning routine, but now even that observation has become routine. You briefly consider hoofing it to the packaging line, but you weren't really listening when Alexa read off the weather report and it looks like it could rain, so you suck it up and pay the 100 SmileCoin fare for the shuttle. Remembering that today is payday, you idly navigate through your phone to your banking app - a whole $73.12 richer than you were last week.

Sure, to an outsider from one of those "non Company" cities, it might not seem like much, but in here it doesn't really matter. The Company has everything I need covered, and they even let me pay for it at Company stores with their proprietary cryptocurrency - it's been a while since you sat down and did the math, but when you signed the contract SmileCoins were valuing way ahead of the US Dollar, so it seemed foolish not to opt-in to be paid partially in SmileCoin!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

It's 2035, and all across America, Amazon Habitation Clusters dot the landscape. At 5:30AM, your Amazon Alexa-enabled SmartBed gently transitions you from sleep to wake (joke's on Alexa - you've never had a good night's sleep since you signed on to work for them). Softly, music starts to play as the lights slowly increase in intensity, mimicking the rising sun in order to take full advantage of your circadian rhythm to wake you up as comfortably as possible. "Alexa," you stammer "read my my schedule for the day," only half-listening to the soothing, digital voice's response as your run your officially licensed Amazon SmileMaker toothbrush over your fuzzy morning teeth. Small goods packaging line today. You notice your teeth aren't quite as clean as you'd like them after rinsing, and instruct Alexa to have a fresh one requested for your unit. "Sure," the digital voice responds, with algorithmic friendliness, "I'll deduct 250 SmileCoins from your wallet and your new Amazon SmileMaker will be here by the time your shift is over. Can I help you with anything else at this time?" You respond back affirming that no, your normal morning cup of coffee will suffice, and you step in the shower another 25 SmileCoins poorer for your daily hit of that black gold. It's quite a steal, really - knowing a cup of Whole Foods's best Colombian blend is waiting for you after your shower has become a comfort, and you get it at a premium since you're on contract with Amazon.

You step out of the shower and towel off. "Alexa, uniform please." As you dress in the crisply-laundered (50 SmileCoin service fee!) blue-grey jumpsuit The Company's come to be known for over the last decade, your video-enabled security system monitors your progress, alerting the driverless shuttle assigned to your shift of the ready state of each allocated citizen of Smile City on its route. After sucking down your now tepid cup of coffee, you head downstairs - it used to weird you out that ever other occupant in the building was nearly in lock-step with your morning routine, but now even that observation has become routine. You briefly consider hoofing it to the packaging line, but you weren't really listening when Alexa read off the weather report and it looks like it could rain, so you suck it up and pay the 100 SmileCoin fare for the shuttle. Remembering that today is payday, you idly navigate through your phone to your banking app - a whole $73.12 richer than you were last week.

Sure, to an outsider from one of those "non Company" cities, it might not seem like much, but in here it doesn't really matter. The Company has everything I need covered, and they even let me pay for it at Company stores with their proprietary cryptocurrency - it's been a while since you sat down and did the math, but when you signed the contract SmileCoins were valuing way ahead of the US Dollar, so it seemed foolish not to opt-in to be paid partially in SmileCoin!

This sounds pretty good considering the other internet-predicted future of total civilization collapse

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Have you seen the movie "Sorry to Bother You"?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Have you seen the movie "Sorry to Bother You"?

It's on my 'I'll get around to it' list

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

RaimioGor posted:

This is my first post on here but I'm excited to see what everyone has to say. I'm wondering, what do you think America will be like in the future? Maybe 10 years, 20 years, or 100 years. It can be video games, the government, movies, or just random stuff. I would like to hear what everyone has to say.

Hopefully its ruled by xi jinping and finally experiences good governance for the first time in its entire history

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

This sounds pretty good considering the other internet-predicted future of total civilization collapse

Also deeply unrealistic that a corporation will actually make sure its workers have homes, food and hygiene.

The best case scenario is that the cops will stop clearing out the Bidenvilles as often.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The truth is that America is in a political crisis that I see is only going to get much worse as time goes on.

Take a look at these figures:

(https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...r-than-the-u-s/)

(https://news.gallup.com/poll/268766/socialism-popular-capitalism-among-young-adults.aspx)

(https://www.axios.com/socialism-capitalism-poll-generation-z-preference-1ffb8800-0ce5-4368-8a6f-de3b82662347.html)

(https://www.pewresearch.org/social-...gen-z-so-far-2/)

What this shows is that there is a huge gap between people who are mid/young millennials and gen-Z vs older millennials and anyone older.

The current issues of gen-X/older millennials vs boomers revolves around how to steer the current American engine of neoliberalism and mass intervention. The former and the latter both want low taxes, small government, and the country to carry a big stick to hit with. The issue is a matter of degrees. Both believe the tale of the United States being an exceptional country that stands along giants (or even alone), and thus gives them the right to enforce it's will on any other nation. And that by giving any substantial change to it's economic engine of neoliberal capitalism is unthinkable. In other words, despite their fierce disagreements on mask mandates, the morality of raising taxes 10%, whether or not racism...exists, at the end of the day they are all in lockstep with the Washington consensus.

In contrast, mid-millennials and younger (especially gen-z) are not only onboard with the Washington consensus, but seem to be marching against it. Close to half don't see America as a country that is special at all, let alone one that is "exceptional". They also feel comfortable with the idea of not being the sole hyperpower of the world. And while we can argue what most of these mid-millennials through Gen Zers think "socialism" is (e.g. cue the person who quotes me and says "Many of them think socialism means Scandinavia not Trotskyism. :smuggo:") it does show that at least they seem to be open to changing the current economic engine more than just loosening/tightening some bolts.

And on top of all this you have the backdrop of nearly half of mid to young millennials and (in just a few years) the majority of Gen Zers not identifying as white. You get a large share of the population who grew up in an America where within their age group whites weren't a majority just merely a plurality.

The reason why I have illustrated so much of a backdrop is to drive across the point that the division in the country is only going to get worse, much worse. We will no longer have two sides arguing about the degrees of the direction the country should go in, but what the direction is period.

The Republicans will likely position themselves as being more and more the party of the "Old America" that is firmly in-line with the Washington consensus. While the Democratic Party will increasingly find themselves in-between a rock and a hard place as they chase older voters who fit their ideology and thus increasingly alienate their younger voters.

Now this looks absolutely terrible for the short term, but some context is needed.

The majority of American already support a wealth tax on the rich: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-inequality-poll-idUSKBN1Z9141
The majority of Americans already support raising taxes on the rich: https://www.axios.com/biden-polling-tax-corporations-wealthy-34576e4e-d2d9-47ef-a67e-14429770c649.html
The majority of Americans already support universal healthcare, with single payer having a plurality: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...-care-coverage/

It isn't perfect, but it's showing that things aren't as hopeless as they currently seem, let alone in the future.

The world is going to undergo radical changes over the next few decades:

- The United States will stop being a hyperpower, as China will rise into becoming a rival superpower. In many ways China already is.
- Climate change is about to get real. The effects are here, we're feeling them now. We've already crossed the line of it resulting in a massive blow to society, now we have to try to avoid it being a complete and total catastrophe.
- Immigration is making many countries have sizable minority populations, while the United States will have a plurality. This change will obviously result in a lot of social challenges as the right wing gets further ammo from "concerned" majorities.
- Africa may begin to rise the same way Asia did during the 20th century, and just like Asia it will likely be the main arena of an ideological cold war.
- Last but not least, capitalism as we know it will continue to decline. People will search for alternatives, and unfortunately so far these alternatives have come from the right.

Adding all these world mechanisms to the existing domestic issues, makes ensuring the country goes in the correct direction all the more paramount.

Unfortunately, the American electorate has a problem.

Here is data of who voted in the latest election:

(https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/01/05/americans-at-the-ends-of-the-ideological-spectrum-are-the-most-active-in-national-politics/)

At first glance, it seems that the American left is very politically active and a kingmaker for the Democrats in elections. But let me share one more image with you:

(https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2021/11/09/beyond-red-vs-blue-the-political-typology-2/)

"Progressive Liberals" are the smallest group of the American population. So while they are arguably the most reliable voting block, their numbers are also small.

There is also this interesting excerpt from the link below the above image:

quote:

Progressive Left, the only majority White, non-Hispanic group of Democrats, have very liberal views on virtually every issue and support far-reaching changes to address racial injustice and expand the social safety net.

This essentially signals that a lot of the mainstream American Left does not identify with the means of the American working class. The majority of America's poor and working class are not white. So the fact that this is the only Democratic voter bloc that is majority White (and non-Hispanic to boot), what exactly does that tell you? It tells you that they are terrible at reaching out to the poor and working class.

I hope I don't sound like I'm pulling a Joe Rogan here, but being a minority myself and speaking with minority friends and people from a more working class background, the image of that is painted from many on the American Left just doesn't mix with the actual concerns. People don't give a poo poo about "safe spaces" or pronouns. And while there are absolutely concerns with racism, poverty, and law enforcement, how these issues are framed aren't painted anywhere near the same brush that say CSPAM paints them as, or even the forums in general.

The primary concerns of these demographics are: jobs, wages, healthcare, education, and climate change (this surprises people, but statistics back this up).

Now I am in no way, shape or, form saying that we should abandon fighting for things like pronouns in order to secure votes. But what I am saying that the American Left needs to focus on a clear cut message to recruit large sums of people from this demographic who don't typically vote. As of now, the American Left is looking to get more of the Latino vote out, but instead they can only get the Latinx vote out, and this why they continuously lose.

I also wouldn't feel right continuing without addressing the elephant in the room if you actually looked at the charts, the "Outsider Left".

The previous link mentioned how they are a voting bloc that is "liberal in most issues" and are frustrated with the current politicians.

But I will point out that:

quote:

About half (49%) are White

Which is the second highest outside of the Progressive Left.

And while their financial situation is worse than average, almost half them are under 30 so some of that is due to age.

They also are by far the least likely voting bloc to participate in voting, with many voting due to 2020 being such an abnormal and record breaking year.

You can see them as an abdominally, or a sign that positive change is on it's way. But regardless I think we can mostly agree that the American Left needs to do more to appeal to people they typically don't appeal to. Much of this being apathetic minorities and those from working class backgrounds.

Now to be fair this is gradually changing:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1408397058990555139

quote:

Socialism has positive connotations for 60% of Black Americans, 45% of American women and 33% of non-white Republicans. Those numbers have grown over the past two years from 53%, 41% and 27%, respectively.

Black Americans are the fastest growing group that prefers "socialism".

The demographics are being built, now it's just up to them to organize.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I'm sorry for that whole essay, but I feel that I had to lay the groundwork before I give an answer to my question.

As I've repeated before, where the United States goes in the future is contingent on whether or not the American Left can build a mass movement by recruiting and uniting enough of the poor and working class.

Saying this, I see three potential futures for the United States of America:

Optimistic Victory : Due to the American Left successfully achieving changing the United States coarse, the country adopts proper climate action, economic change, and addresses racial issues. Now whether if this is "New Deal Era 2: Newer and Dealer", or a full political/economic revolution more similar to that of Bolivia or Venezuela (e.g. yes I know it's an example). The former seems more realistic, but while it solves some problems in short and medium terms, in the long term it just kicks the can down the road. And realistic it's either a matter of time before the latter happens or the nation sinks. If such a political revolution is achieved, the United States will fly high, exit it's hyperpower status with some grace, and result in a higher quality life for it's citizens. What this change is nobody can say for certain, but I imagine it being some mix of Rojava, China, and Sweden.

World politics wise, the nation will remain highly relevant as being equal to or just behind China in superpower status, due to the country still getting tons of immigrants which combined with birth rates results in reasonable population growth.

Death Throes: Ever since the Soviet Union collapsed, Russia has been desperately trying to recapture it's glory days. In an attempt to do so it's basically incorporated all the bad aspects of the Soviet Union with none of the good ones. An authoritarian, corrupt, nationalistic country without the attempt of universal programs or mass industrialization that captured the world's attention during it's heyday. All this while increasingly becoming shunned and isolated from the world.

Russia may be mocked by the world stage, but the same thing is gradually happening to their once rival superpower. Capitalism is gradually collapsing, and the United States is as much of a premiere nation for it as Russia was for Communism. Despite massive gains in GDP, outside of Spain, the United States is the only country where the quality of life for it's average citizens has declined over the past ten years. The reasons for this are obvious. Americans can't afford housing, healthcare, education, or really anything that matters.

This obviously makes people angry and they need someone to blame. The people first went to the left but when they found promises of hope to be empty and change to broke, many grew apathetic or even moved on to try and make America great again. The country's shift to right wing politics has become more overt in recent years. I really shouldn't have to get examples of how anti-immigrant stances, anti-minority stances, and a desire to return to a comfortable past has become more common place.

I'd imagine this America to be an evolution of Trumpism. More authoritarian, a strong push for the commodification of everything, a heavy fight for "whiteness" to be the standard by former oppressed groups who were "let in" due to optics, a stronger strangle on immigration, little to no regard for climate change, etc. All while inequality rises and America is less of a middle class nation and something closer to modern Brazil.

Foreign policy wise, the United States will thrash about as it inevitably loses it's hyperpower status. It's actions will alienate itself from the world stage, and it will undoubtedly start even more wars. Like Russia, the United States will almost inevitably push itself into invading a region that is far too "modern" to sit right with the rest of the world, leaving it to be further shunned. It's all pointless though as despite it's tantrum, it gradually leaves the world stage with China, the EU, and increasingly India gaining more power and influence.

Chaos & Breakdown: Simply put, the United States is becoming more and more polarized, much due to the fact that the government is in constant gridlock. However, many of those in government want this as things staying the same benefit the corporations and career politicians. Unfortunately as listed before, things getting harder for the American public. There is only so much they can bear. It's a matter of time before anger at the other side turns to hate. Secession will go from being some nerd fanfiction to something very possible. A poll found a little over half of Republicans and not far from half of Democrats were open to the idea.

Now I don't believe there's going to be a Civil War 2.0 as everything but all out nuclear war will occur in the country. What I do expect in this scenario is general unrest and a rise extremist groups that tie themselves to state independence. This will culminate to referendums for secession for multiple regions. What the result of this will be I'm not sure, as I'd imagine some of these new nations would fair better than others. However, it would spell the end of America as any type of superpower, despite the region remaining influential.

That's basically the gist of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_inequality-adjusted_Human_Development_Index

Lib and let die posted:

It's on my 'I'll get around to it' list

The movie just finally made it's way to Netflix, it's the perfect time to watch it. :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's become pretty clear that what the majority of a country's population wants doesn't actually matter. The Democrats run screaming from policies that poll universally positive among Republicans because they make Republican politicians and media angry- despite that said politicians and media will have exactly the same 'commie mutant traitor' line to Democrats literally no matter what they do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's become pretty clear that what the majority of a country's population wants doesn't actually matter. The Democrats run screaming from policies that poll universally positive among Republicans because they make Republican politicians and media angry- despite that said politicians and media will have exactly the same 'commie mutant traitor' line to Democrats literally no matter what they do.

Such a mass movement I described doesn't just refer to, or mostly involve electoral politics. It very well may not even involve the Democratic Party at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Such a mass movement I described doesn't just refer to, or mostly involve electoral politics. It very well may not even involve the Democratic Party at all.

Indeed. Just this means even in the short term best case scenario, it's going to get worse before it gets better, especially with an openly white supremacist and fascist police force chomping at the bit for an excuse to openly execute undesirables even moreso than they already do.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Now I am in no way, shape or, form saying that we should abandon fighting for things like pronouns in order to secure votes. But what I am saying that the American Left needs to focus on a clear cut message to recruit large sums of people from this demographic who don't typically vote. As of now, the American Left is looking to get more of the Latino vote out, but instead they can only get the Latinx vote out, and this why they continuously lose.

I agree with a lot of this post, and believe it to be in good faith, but I want to point out how this paragraph illustrates a weakness among even smart members of the progressive left faction. You correctly diagnose that the progressive left is the most reliable and disproportionately whitest segment of the Democratic Party. You correctly see that this is a problem, but then you still have to do this rhetorical flourish where you pretend working class and people of color voters are somehow just not educated or enlightened enough but that is an issue of focus rather than just being one of conflict.

Most working class and people of color voters want to give their family a good life and be, broadly, as left alone as they can be. The obsession by the progressive left of elevating certain members of those classes who agree with them is accurately seen as just picking select puppets. Consider how “Black Loves Matter” teaching packets used in Florida teaching mostly contain materials about affirming trans youth. Black people see that, not incorrectly, as smuggling in an entirely separate issue into something they believe in or think is important. But it matters to white “allies” and their chosen Black spokespeople.

Unfortunately, the goal of “give people the resources to take care of their families” and “break up people’s families because the structure is patriarchal, racist, etc.” are in conflict and no amount of lying to working class or people of color will change this. The Progressive Left needs to pick whether they want to build sustainable, healthy, economically viable families or they want people to be autonomous, genderless, history-free individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What the are you ravelling on about with "breaking up the family"? What do you mean by this and who has been suggesting it in any way shape or form?