Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

How are u posted:

Well, we seem to be living in a pivotal moment in history, here in the States. I know the future I'm working for: a USA that spends the next decades enacting a Just Transition to a more equitable society, focusing on emissions mitigation and climate adaptation at home while also leading the democracies of the world in climate cooperation and coordination abroad.

I think that future is achievable, though by no means guaranteed.

In, let's say 20 years, I would hope to see a US that's fully and completely led by Millenials and Zoomers, and a society that has purged the fever of fascism from the mainstream (where it is now) and re-committed to a degree of social cooperation that our parents rejected and our grandparents knew fleetingly.
What is the path to getting to this point, considering that the situation for equity and inclusion is clearly trending negative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The result of the Floyd uprising was a nationwide increase in police budgets and CHAZ killed two black kids and covered it up.
Still learning the same lessons as the Paris commune, except dumber and lamer. It's incredibly stupid to think that a repressive government will just cede control of physical territory without a fight. Most anarchists have no grasp of how human societies work.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

quarantinethepast posted:

Uh no, I'm just recognizing a trend of behavior and the disastrous consequences of it. It's also exceptionally cult-like.

E: I'm going to also refrain from replying more to you because I don't want to entertain a crackpot
Give'em a break, he was all pissy that Athenian democracy killed his teacher. Plato made a lot of really insightful points, and did not have the same benefit of hindsight we do. Pre-Socratic and Epicurean philosophy should get a lot more love though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

SA-Anon posted:

I think climate change will be survivable.
Agree.

quote:

2.) Some of the young republicans today actually care about the climate.
3.) More and more younger generations are leaving religion.
4.) More younger people seem to be having more empathy for their local communities.
5.) Younger generations recognize the advantages of universal healthcare and free college (and trade school) education
What is the actual material impetus for those who control the government and economy, to take the necessary, but seemingly insanely draconian, steps necessary to prepare for the inevitable changes and limit future warming? Public opinion empirically has little effect on US policy, so even if the younger masses begin prioritizing climate mitigation, there is no clear path that I can see where those in power will do the work of what needs to be done. In such a "good" scenario, our economy, physical urban environment, and lives will change beyond recognition.