Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The continued exploitation and suffering of the working class so corporate execs can continue having expensive leadership retreats at Mandarin Oriental or MGM Grand venues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's 2035, and all across America, Amazon Habitation Clusters dot the landscape. At 5:30AM, your Amazon Alexa-enabled SmartBed gently transitions you from sleep to wake (joke's on Alexa - you've never had a good night's sleep since you signed on to work for them). Softly, music starts to play as the lights slowly increase in intensity, mimicking the rising sun in order to take full advantage of your circadian rhythm to wake you up as comfortably as possible. "Alexa," you stammer "read my my schedule for the day," only half-listening to the soothing, digital voice's response as your run your officially licensed Amazon SmileMaker toothbrush over your fuzzy morning teeth. Small goods packaging line today. You notice your teeth aren't quite as clean as you'd like them after rinsing, and instruct Alexa to have a fresh one requested for your unit. "Sure," the digital voice responds, with algorithmic friendliness, "I'll deduct 250 SmileCoins from your wallet and your new Amazon SmileMaker will be here by the time your shift is over. Can I help you with anything else at this time?" You respond back affirming that no, your normal morning cup of coffee will suffice, and you step in the shower another 25 SmileCoins poorer for your daily hit of that black gold. It's quite a steal, really - knowing a cup of Whole Foods's best Colombian blend is waiting for you after your shower has become a comfort, and you get it at a premium since you're on contract with Amazon.

You step out of the shower and towel off. "Alexa, uniform please." As you dress in the crisply-laundered (50 SmileCoin service fee!) blue-grey jumpsuit The Company's come to be known for over the last decade, your video-enabled security system monitors your progress, alerting the driverless shuttle assigned to your shift of the ready state of each allocated citizen of Smile City on its route. After sucking down your now tepid cup of coffee, you head downstairs - it used to weird you out that ever other occupant in the building was nearly in lock-step with your morning routine, but now even that observation has become routine. You briefly consider hoofing it to the packaging line, but you weren't really listening when Alexa read off the weather report and it looks like it could rain, so you suck it up and pay the 100 SmileCoin fare for the shuttle. Remembering that today is payday, you idly navigate through your phone to your banking app - a whole $73.12 richer than you were last week.

Sure, to an outsider from one of those "non Company" cities, it might not seem like much, but in here it doesn't really matter. The Company has everything I need covered, and they even let me pay for it at Company stores with their proprietary cryptocurrency - it's been a while since you sat down and did the math, but when you signed the contract SmileCoins were valuing way ahead of the US Dollar, so it seemed foolish not to opt-in to be paid partially in SmileCoin!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

quarantinethepast posted:

Have you seen the movie "Sorry to Bother You"?

It's on my 'I'll get around to it' list

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The movie just finally made it's way to Netflix, it's the perfect time to watch it. :)

Well that takes a hell of a loving turn