Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well, we seem to be living in a pivotal moment in history, here in the States. I know the future I'm working for: a USA that spends the next decades enacting a Just Transition to a more equitable society, focusing on emissions mitigation and climate adaptation at home while also leading the democracies of the world in climate cooperation and coordination abroad.

I think that future is achievable, though by no means guaranteed.

In, let's say 20 years, I would hope to see a US that's fully and completely led by Millenials and Zoomers, and a society that has purged the fever of fascism from the mainstream (where it is now) and re-committed to a degree of social cooperation that our parents rejected and our grandparents knew fleetingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

quarantinethepast posted:

The majority of these posts are basically "we're hosed" but I think people are underestimating the possibility of change. Neoliberalism has trained us to think that no other world is possible, but there's lots of people out there wanting change and will jump at opportunities for it.

Look at what happened with the George Floyd uprising, all the people around the world protesting and demanding justice and change, and trying out alternative models of living outside of capitalism like CHAZ.

"We're hosed" can seem like the most realist perspective, but it's far from imaginative or useful to inspire people to change. Change always seems unthinkable until it comes to surprise you.

E: just think of all the predictions for the future made by past generations based on what they saw of the present and how often ridiculous or wrong such predictions were. Malthus couldn't predict worth poo poo.

Agreed, and that's something that allows me to continue to hope and work for change. Everything is impossible right up until the moment it isn't.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Adding to the US population is one thing I'm actually a bit optimistic about. We've historically been quite good about immigration. It's very hard for me to imagine China opening its doors to non-Han immigrants, as we progress through the century and as their demographic time-bomb explodes and the necessity of immigration becomes undeniable.