Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tweak posted:

I had a good chuckle yesterday when a friend dropped RINGS for the Islanders from 38 years ago against the Kraken who haven't even finished their first (bad) season yet

As far as I'm concerned, the Islanders have no cup wins. It's just a fairytale that parents tell their children to comfort them in times of Lou Lamoriellos.

And the Rangers are cupless because they won when I was 5 and I didn't give a poo poo about anything then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Apparently the Ducks hired Pat Verbeek as GM

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pat Verbeek and Ron Hextall wearing suits is funny as hell

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Rotten Cookies posted:

And the Rangers are cupless because they won when I was 5 and I didn't give a poo poo about anything then.

No that one is entirely legit, the right team won.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm old enough to remember watching the '94 Finals but wasn't old enough to appreciate it was probably the greatest Finals ever played, and I had no idea Messier had already won five Cups.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m killing time while contractors look at our horribly leaking roof so I’m gonna grind an axe real quick about how the Twitter Analytics crowd misuses numbers:

https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1489278732711907331?s=20&t=IHPSVc3efoVUzljil17eUQ

So 1) the metric this guy is using isn’t actually in the chart he posted, so the only reason to post it is to say “hey look, blue is good” and hope nobody reads it, 2) the chart says Holl loving sucks offensively, with negative shot impact and zero xG impact, the blue bar for goals just means that the Leafs stars are scoring in spite of his performance, and 3) if you’re gonna put a stat like “goals for” in your chart to contextualize the offensive rate numbers why is goals against conspicuously missing next to the defensive rates? Because I have a sneaking suspicion it would not be kind to Holl, a defenseman.

Additionally it’s strange (not strange at all) that random Twitter boosterism is surging on the heels of the Leafs scoring 20 goals in their last three games. Because Holl’s xGF% was terrible in 2021, it’s only climbed to the number this guy’s claiming because the Leafs have gone on a goal-scoring tear since the start of January. And again, the chart the guy posted shows that Holl is a slight negative on offence so he’s had little to do with that.

tl;dr most of the time when someone tries to tell you a bottom pair defender has excellent numbers and is better than you think they’re blowing smoke, even if they post a chart with blue bars

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tweak posted:

I had a good chuckle yesterday when a friend dropped RINGS for the Islanders from 38 years ago against the Kraken who haven't even finished their first (bad) season yet

This was the talking point from Wings fans toward Jackets fans the first time they made the playoffs.

"LOOK at all these trophies and Stanley Cups we won in an era in which your team didn't exist and also much of it was in an era where we only had to beat 5 teams!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't look now but the Pens have settled back into playing like a low seed quick first round exit team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't look now but the Pens have settled back into playing like a low seed quick first round exit team.

Don’t get my hopes up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm old enough to remember watching the '94 Finals but wasn't old enough to appreciate it was probably the greatest Finals ever played, and I had no idea Messier had already won five Cups.

The Canucks have been in two absolutely fantastic cup finals and lost them both. It sucks really bad.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

an Ovechkin leading the league in goals no less!-

Oh but he's not! maybe that's the problem

T-Bone posted:

The Devils are probably the most unwatchable they've been in my lifetime. Hischier looks like he wants to retire. Surely the other shoe is going to drop on Ruff soon.

Hughes-Bratt is pretty entertaining though.

I still have no idea why the gently caress they hired Ruff

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m killing time while contractors look at our horribly leaking roof so I’m gonna grind an axe real quick about how the Twitter Analytics crowd misuses numbers:

https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1489278732711907331?s=20&t=IHPSVc3efoVUzljil17eUQ

So 1) the metric this guy is using isn’t actually in the chart he posted, so the only reason to post it is to say “hey look, blue is good” and hope nobody reads it, 2) the chart says Holl loving sucks offensively, with negative shot impact and zero xG impact, the blue bar for goals just means that the Leafs stars are scoring in spite of his performance, and 3) if you’re gonna put a stat like “goals for” in your chart to contextualize the offensive rate numbers why is goals against conspicuously missing next to the defensive rates? Because I have a sneaking suspicion it would not be kind to Holl, a defenseman.

Additionally it’s strange (not strange at all) that random Twitter boosterism is surging on the heels of the Leafs scoring 20 goals in their last three games. Because Holl’s xGF% was terrible in 2021, it’s only climbed to the number this guy’s claiming because the Leafs have gone on a goal-scoring tear since the start of January. And again, the chart the guy posted shows that Holl is a slight negative on offence so he’s had little to do with that.

tl;dr most of the time when someone tries to tell you a bottom pair defender has excellent numbers and is better than you think they’re blowing smoke, even if they post a chart with blue bars

I look at this and think good actual defence defender with league average offence?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I look at this and think good actual defence defender with league average offence?

GF/60 and xGA/60 being the same means that he does not exist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1489302323348320258

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Context is important, the Leafs are a good team offensively, Holl being half a deviation below mean Corsi for is not a good look for him considering the minutes he plays and who he plays them with, and xG is in a similar boat. Which is also why I called out showing GF/60 at all, showing that his team scores way above average while he puts up at or below average offensive rates is not a compliment to him, but the construction of the chart would have you believe that it is.

And if we’re gonna show GF/60 why aren’t we showing GA/60 which would be relevant if we’re trying to contextualize this guy as a plus defender.

And like I said, these numbers looked starkly different for Holl before the Leafs recent tear, 10% of those minutes come from the last three games where the Leafs trucked their opposition, give it 5 more games and these numbers could once again look different. Which is fine, it’s how numbers work, but attention needs to be paid to when people are posting this stuff because saying “hey this quiet defender has a good xG%” when his team’s averaged 5 goals per game for a month is very similar to saying “hey this guy’s on pace for 164 goals” when someone scores twice in the opener.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

is
I still have no idea why the gently caress they hired Ruff

The Devils hiring the Rangers bad assistant coach as their head coach and Lou Lamiorello ruining the Islanders are enough blessings for me to not ask questions.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tweak posted:

That's when Seattle fans just need to go "1917 suck on that." But even the banter is below mediocre on this team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks have been in two absolutely fantastic cup finals and lost them both. It sucks really bad.

Flyers have been in 5 (although 97 was def not a fantastic cup final lol) , so you gotta suffer more sir.

At least your goalie from the one run is funny on twitter. Hextall def is not funny and Pelle is dead 😞 (rip Pelle Lindbergh).

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

it's actually great

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really enjoyed the 2011 Finals that Vancouver was in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Context is important, the Leafs are a good team offensively, Holl being half a deviation below mean Corsi for is not a good look for him considering the minutes he plays and who he plays them with, and xG is in a similar boat. Which is also why I called out showing GF/60 at all, showing that his team scores way above average while he puts up at or below average offensive rates is not a compliment to him, but the construction of the chart would have you believe that it is.

And if we’re gonna show GF/60 why aren’t we showing GA/60 which would be relevant if we’re trying to contextualize this guy as a plus defender.

And like I said, these numbers looked starkly different for Holl before the Leafs recent tear, 10% of those minutes come from the last three games where the Leafs trucked their opposition, give it 5 more games and these numbers could once again look different. Which is fine, it’s how numbers work, but attention needs to be paid to when people are posting this stuff because saying “hey this quiet defender has a good xG%” when his team’s averaged 5 goals per game for a month is very similar to saying “hey this guy’s on pace for 164 goals” when someone scores twice in the opener.

I'm really only looking at his xGF and xGA. The GF/60 is noise, that you're correct, reflects the forwards shooting ability and/or luck. Why the GA/60 is missing is nonsense. Corsi is pretty irrelevant when you have good xGF/xGA data imo.

Like the chart definitely stinks and was created to "prove" something pretty specififc

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The best cup finals stretch of all came in the early 50s. In 1950 the Red Wings won the cup over the Rangers after Pete Babando scored the double OT winner in game 7. The next year the Leafs beat the Habs in 5 but every single game finished in overtime (the winner scored by Bill Barilko which was immortalized in song by the Tragically Hip song Fifty Mission Cap). There was a brief lull then the Wings won back to back cups in game 7 including the last time a Stanley Cup finals game 7 OT winner was scored (by Tony Leswick in 1954).

Those three game 7s in 6 years was the same amount as there was over the next thirty seasons. The only other stretch that came close was 2001-2006 where 4 of 5 cup finals ended in game 7 although the game winning goal came in the 2nd period each time. The game winner hasn't even been scored in the third period of a game 7 since 1971.

What I'm saying is we're long overdue for a game 7 cup finals OT and the Leafs better be involved somehow.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

a game 7 cup finals OT

I think I might actually die, no matter what teams would be playing

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If any goons wanted to get a start in hockey ops, a good beginning job:

https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnhl/status/1489257218599841799?s=21

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I think I might actually die, no matter what teams would be playing

The last two Cup Finals game 7s (2011 and 2019) were the two highest rated games NBC ever aired and the most viewed games to occur outside the 70s and they were blowout snooze fests. Cup Finals Game 7 OT on ESPN would almost certainly peak as the highest viewed hockey game of all time and launch a renewed surge of interest in the sport. But this is the NHL so that means no series is getting past 5 games over the next eight years.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

The Dirty Burger posted:

If any goons wanted to get a start in hockey ops, a good beginning job:

https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnhl/status/1489257218599841799?s=21

I think I'm going to apply.. I know nothing about PR but that's gotta be an asset in this case right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

T-Bone posted:

Pat Verbeek and Ron Hextall wearing suits is funny as hell

If Verbeek and Hextall are not challenging prospects to fights, what are we doing as a society

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I think I'm going to apply.. I know nothing about PR but that's gotta be an asset in this case right?

Hint: The answer to every question in the application/interview is “None of your loving business”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

That's okay I've prepped a mock interview questions to help you out.

1) A recent scathing report and subsequent lawsuit have criticized management's cover up of the sexual assault of a former player, and your team has promised to publicize their efforts to improve the organizational culture and help other victims come forward. There is a town hall event coming where the owner is set to speak and a question about this matter is inevitable. What do you do?

A) Prepare a carefully worded response highlighting the team's efforts to promote awareness of sexual assault and mental health and foster an environment of openness and accountability across sports

OR

B) Do nothing, let the owner answer as they please by yelling at a reporter about how the team's efforts to improve their awareness of sexual assault and mental health is none of their business because he didn't like having to fire his golfing buddies.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm really only looking at his xGF and xGA. The GF/60 is noise, that you're correct, reflects the forwards shooting ability and/or luck. Why the GA/60 is missing is nonsense. Corsi is pretty irrelevant when you have good xGF/xGA data imo.

Like the chart definitely stinks and was created to "prove" something pretty specififc

With respect to corsi vs. xG I think it can tell you things about players in certain roles. Like, it’s not surprising to me that a guy with Holl’s skillset isn’t a big driver of xG individually so my follow up thought is “does he at least keep the puck moving in the right direction in the o-zone” and we can see the answer is “lol”

But yeah, whole lot of words to say that people can assemble a chart that doesn’t say much and present it as “proof”

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/1489361202971033611

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
in the next episode he'll be slewfooting dudes for comic effect

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ironically Shea Weber for sure would have been the better choice here.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I dunno if NHLers are wearing a significantly more protective cup than I do but I can confirm that getting hit in the balls by even a weakly shot puck still hurts like hell.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
NHL Sharpshooter PK Subban

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

heehee posted:

NHL Sharpshooter PK Subban

Assuming the deal is you have to stay there until you take a set number of shots, what’s scarier, someone like Matthews just pinging perfectly placed shots and getting it over with, or watching PK whiz 5 slappers past you before hitting?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This reminds me of just how badly I miss "Pros vs. Joes"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao that organization deserves him

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-chiarelli-to-interview-for-blackhawks-gm-position-1.1754651

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Ironically Shea Weber for sure would have been the better choice here.

Yeah, but PK has more charisma. That's showbiz, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm not liking this break at all. Can they please get on with it!