Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm also heavily enjoying Conte just unashamedly burying Spurs in the press with the full knowledge that they can't sack him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60411404

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sticksy posted:

lol - I also liked how he cost more than "miss" Nacer Chadli who had cost 20% more and made the same number of appearances.

Still blows my mind that Paulinho went from Spurs to Guangzhou to Barcelona somehow

Arturo Vidal played for Barcelona lol

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Arturo Vidal played for Barcelona lol

and still plays for Inter, unlike Paulinho, who is back at Corinthians

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm also heavily enjoying Conte just unashamedly burying Spurs in the press with the full knowledge that they can't sack him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60411404

lol, love it when a coach comes in and immediately undermines the whole organization.

Conte's Wig posted:

"We lost four players - four important players for Tottenham - and we brought in only two"

is even better since he is obviously the manager and excluding Delli Alli, they all had 8 starts in the league combined, so yeah clearly super-important and integral to his team.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 18, 2022

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The full quote is not that bad

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Lamela was decent he was just injured a lot early on and wasnt a like for like replacement for Bale so people didn't take to him.

Eriksen is one of the best players spurs have ever hadl which softens the blow quite a lot

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The premier league are being extremely optimistic going with a 2:00 kickoff for the first Leeds - man u match at elland road with a proper crowd. If there was ever a time for a weird 9am la liga kickoff this is it. Don't like to be a negative nelly but Leeds are going to lose comprehensively and I'll have to spend Monday reading a load of 'back to the bad old days' articles accompanied with pictures of seats being ripped out etc

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

This is promising though. Don't know who'd win in a fight, Ron's got the conditioning but Harry's got the granite head. Imagining some sort of John Henry situation where Ronald knocks him down after six hours of continuous punching and dies of exhaustion doing his celebration

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

the sex ghost posted:

The premier league are being extremely optimistic going with a 2:00 kickoff for the first Leeds - man u match at elland road with a proper crowd. If there was ever a time for a weird 9am la liga kickoff this is it. Don't like to be a negative nelly but Leeds are going to lose comprehensively and I'll have to spend Monday reading a load of 'back to the bad old days' articles accompanied with pictures of seats being ripped out etc

Have you considered that Manchester United are loving awful at football currently?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Good haha

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
They haven't lost in the league since the start of January, Leeds are not known for resolute defensive displays and bielsa will absolutely not change things up even if things are clearly not working. If they can get an early goal and the crowd are behind them then it looks a bit more promising but if man u score first it's going to be a long afternoon

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

It's not good!!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

This is promising though. Don't know who'd win in a fight, Ron's got the conditioning but Harry's got the granite head. Imagining some sort of John Henry situation where Ronald knocks him down after six hours of continuous punching and dies of exhaustion doing his celebration

lmao what a load of old bollocks. If there's any unrest between Ronaldo and Maguire it's because Maguire's poo poo and blames everyone else for his gently caress ups in pressers.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Idk ninpo the star and the express are both reporting the same. Three trustworthy news sources. What reason would they all have to lie

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

You should go further than punching a horse when it all kicks off

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

You should go further than punching a horse when it all kicks off

how far should he go with the horse

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

the sex ghost posted:

Prediction: Manchester United will dominate the first hour, scoring exactly one (1) goal. Leeds will get a soft equaliser and the game will finish 1-1.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

lmao what a load of old bollocks. If there's any unrest between Ronaldo and Maguire it's because Maguire's poo poo and blames everyone else for his gently caress ups in pressers.

Or because Ronaldo is past it and spends 90% of his time on the pitch making faces to his team mates

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

webmeister posted:

Prediction: Manchester United will dominate the first hour, scoring exactly one (1) goal. Leeds will get a soft equaliser and the game will finish 1-1.

The United Way

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope Everton and Newcastle both get relegated namaste.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I hope Everton and Newcastle both get relegated namaste.

Same but even if Watford and Burnley overtake both, a team like Leeds could drop down and save one of them. I'll be happy with just one of them being relegated.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
£100M player, lol

Opta posted:

Lukaku had two touches in the first half at Selhurst Park, including the kick-off, and seven in the entire game – the fewest for a player who played 90 minutes since Opta started collecting data back in the 2003-04 season.

https://twitter.com/willfordy25/status/1495063199682646017

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Doesn't show it rebounding off him into touch 2/10

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/21/leicester-city-board-backs-brendan-rodgers-despite-alarming/

The dreaded vote of confidence.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Rodgers has done enough good work at Lester to warrant staying on through a bad season or two, and I say this as someone who really hates Brendan Rodgers.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would love Brendan at Leeds assuming Bielsa doesn't renew his deal

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He'd sell Kalvin Phillips and put Patrick Bamford's name in a voodoo-envelope

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Brendan tearfully reaches into the envelope and pulls out a mirror

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Rodgers has done enough good work at Lester to warrant staying on through a bad season or two, and I say this as someone who really hates Brendan Rodgers.

He has?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A classic of the genre

https://twitter.com/UtdWesleyy/status/1495737299371446273

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

He has?

Finishing 5th two years in a row and winning an FA Cup is pretty good for them yeah.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Leicesters big issue is having absolutely zero contingency plan for when Vardy inevitably disappears between December and March

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

He has?

he won an fa cup with a team who are still, despite other happenings in the interim, leicester city football club

I'm remembering my old leicester-supporting flatmate watching deeney score on the counter and some people say I'm still laughing to this day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i completely forgot they won the fa cup

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
They also won the prestigious charity platter

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Brenda did an excellent job in making leicester a consistent challenger in the top 4 between 2019-21 and capping that off with an FA Cup win, something their current squad and budget shouldn't allow them to do, but he's 100% following the Liverpool 2015 playbook of throwing the squad/recruitment/coaching under the bus for his own shortcomings. He probably needs binning off at this point but I don't know who you replace him with

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

an_mutt posted:

Brenda did an excellent job in making leicester a consistent challenger in the top 4 between 2019-21 and capping that off with an FA Cup win, something their current squad and budget shouldn't allow them to do, but he's 100% following the Liverpool 2015 playbook of throwing the squad/recruitment/coaching under the bus for his own shortcomings. He probably needs binning off at this point but I don't know who you replace him with

Hasenhuttl?

Brendan also bottled a 4th place finish behind Ole's tactic of "remember the 90s lads" and a midfield of McFred.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hasenhuttl?

Brendan also bottled a 4th place finish behind Ole's tactic of "remember the 90s lads" and a midfield of McFred.

I always wonder if Leicester getting 4th would have lead to them kicking on, or just imploding and getting 9-0'd be a continental powerhouse

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I always wonder if Leicester getting 4th would have lead to them kicking on, or just imploding and getting 9-0'd be a continental powerhouse

Under Rodgers? They'd probably have been embarrassed his record in Europe is grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They made it to the CL quarterfinals the year after they won the league. Obviously today's Leicester isn't as good as they were back then, but I still think the financial advantages of the Premier League mean pretty much anyone that makes top 4 in the PL is going to do decently in Europe.