Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
The classy thing to do if you're getting married but you're already established adults is to list a couple of charities for folks to donate to. Asking for a fuckin towel set you can afford on your own dime is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just ask people to throw extra money at your gross old person honeymoon fund IMO

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Devils Affricate posted:

Thread aside, you cannot deny that this post

is hilarious, in or out of context

It actually broke and I had to have call someone and explain that my toaster touch screen was broken. And then I took it to the grocery store because that was the closest FedEX drop of point and inexplicably 3 teenage girls were working the customer service counter and incredibly excited to see "THE TOASTER FROM THE INTERNET!"

"IS THE TOAST AMAZING?!" "It's broken."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Three Olives posted:

It actually broke and I had to have call someone and explain that my toaster touch screen was broken. And then I took it to the grocery store because that was the closest FedEX drop of point and inexplicably 3 teenage girls were working the customer service counter and incredibly excited to see "THE TOASTER FROM THE INTERNET!"

"IS THE TOAST AMAZING?!" "It's broken."

In case you think I am making this up:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

i didn't think you you could be more cartoonish, but, here you are linking Food Network

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
When MrsC and I were getting married we were hemming and hawing over how not to have a registry and just go "yeah we're adults with kitchen stuff already and no I don't want a cheap plastic air frier, give us cash that we may spend on a vacation or just throw in a mutual fund". But fortunately, covid hit so we got to cancel our plans before push came to shove and just went through the paperwork for it in a courthouse. Right call there because the venue and such just wanted to keep postponing but it woulda been super annoying to be stuck in perpetual covid limbo, we're coming up on 2 years from when the wedding was originally planned and there's still no end in sight lmao.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Incidentally everyone I know who was young enough to arguably actually need that sort of stuff on a registry is divorced already, so maybe anyone who isn't already set up is also not ready for marriage. Or maybe friends buying you a waffle maker just puts too much pressure on your marriage and it crumbles under the weight of so many missed Belgium breakfasts.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Szyznyk posted:

I love waffles but hate cleaning the waffle maker.

Same. I just buy cheap ones and throw them out when dirty

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Three Olives posted:

It’s “basically from the future!”

Yet somehow also here, at the grocery store, waiting for FedEx pickup.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
registries are fine as long as there is an open bar at the reception

if you go to a wedding with a cash bar literally chain the doors shut and burn it to the ground

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

registries are fine as long as there is an open bar at the reception

if you go to a wedding with a cash bar literally chain the doors shut and burn it to the ground

run up a tab first

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
3O is not a person so they wouldn't understand that registries are to help newlyweds stock up on bullshit Home Essentials since the assumption was that they'd be poor as gently caress and maybe saving the $45 on a toaster would be helpful.

Dramatic recreation of the Op's friends:

Hey I guess We need a Registry?

'Oh, sh, yeah. What's some cheap poo poo we can put on there? Towels? A toaster oven? I guess a blender or some dishes??'

Yeah put an option for like an Amazon Card or a Home Depot card too. Not like we need any of this but why not, it'll make them feel better.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nooner posted:

Everyone hating like they arent secretly wishing for an IoT toaster. Adjusting the toast setting from 4 to 7 cause youre feeling like a bagle this morning, using your Toastly app while youre still in bed

Did you put bread in there the night before?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Also this 70 year old toaster is more advanced than the one with the touchscreen

https://www.theverge.com/22801890/sunbeam-radiant-control-toaster-t20-t35-vista

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Go off registry. Get them like 75 pounds of gummy bears or a didgeridoo. Or 75 pounds of gummy bears and a digeridoo.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I mean it is true that the Chinese tradition of giving cold hard cash is better and more practical

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I was actually looking at smart toasters on Amazon last night after reading this thread. All of them were under $100 except for this behemoth (and its earlier model for $300): https://smile.amazon.com/Revolution-R270-Touchscreen-Experience-High-Speed/dp/B09P1W15M9

I like the countdown timer because you never know when the toaster is going to pop, but other than that it seems a bit silly

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A few years ago my GF and I made some Vegan truffles (are they not already vegan?), it involved chopping up some pitted dates with cocoa. and the immersion blender eventually choked and died, Had to get GF's flatmate a new Blender.
thanks for coming to my whitenoise boring tedx talk

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

staberind posted:

A few years ago my GF and I made some Vegan truffles (are they not already vegan?), it involved chopping up some pitted dates with cocoa. and the immersion blender eventually choked and died, Had to get GF's flatmate a new Blender.
thanks for coming to my whitenoise boring tedx talk

Chocolate typically includes dairy

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Devils Affricate posted:

Chocolate typically includes dairy

until recently a lot of chocolate wasn’t even strictly vegetarian lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Get a Bamix OP, it's the most powerful immersion blender you can get.

No idea if anyone makes a dildo attachment though, you'll have to find that out on your own.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

Don't tell your friends to immerse this, ffs.

Edit: Excerpt from an Amazon review of the $400 wafflemaker -
"It worked well and produced great waffles for about 18 months and then... Pop! goes the hinge! It really disappointed me. This is truly designed to break."

It's very obviously one of the $10 waffle makers on a mount lol

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

What is the protocol for friends/family getting remarried? Are registry presents one-and-done, or are you also expected to provide presents for your loved one's second/third/etc. marriage? I'd guess the former on account of anyone on their third marriage is probably foregoing the ceremony altogether.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:jerry:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The answer is to just ban marriage for everyone.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean it is true that the Chinese tradition of giving cold hard cash is better and more practical

The coolest wedding gift we got was from my wife's nailshop friend (Chinese) and it was $200 in an envelope, a boxed sampler of Jonny Walker and 2 vials of ketamine.

Runner up is my friend from HS gave me a pack of camel lights but inside were 4 joints and a bag of coke.

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.
Wedding registries are weird. I received a waffle maker that my sister-in-law scanned at Target. Used the drat thing once and now it collects dust in the back cabinet never to be used again.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I can explain it. It's really pretty much common sense when you think about it. First of you think okay, what is a wedding registry for? It's for gifts that are basically for helping you "get on your feet" in a marriage or whatever. With the way things are going today, sure, why not pull some money for some feelgoods. Anyway, so we give that in advance of a good marriage, and the opposite of advance in an exchange here would be arrears, and everybody knows there's no room for adult arrears in a healthy marriage.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if youve found that after they became a couple they became obnoxious, you give them a bad gift so the last thing youll ever hear from them is the thank you note

lots of the rituals we invest into weddings dont make much sense in a world where amazon and alibaba exist but here we are

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm so glad I'm having a destination wedding and don't have to deal with a registry. We told some close friends to either come or not we don't care/understand but please don't buy us crap.

I loving hate having so much stuff that barely gets used, I couldn't imagine how guilty I'd feel ending up with thousands of dollars of crap we didn't want badly enough to have already bought ourselves.

Edit:

kntfkr posted:

The coolest wedding gift we got was from my wife's nailshop friend (Chinese) and it was $200 in an envelope, a boxed sampler of Jonny Walker and 2 vials of ketamine.

Runner up is my friend from HS gave me a pack of camel lights but inside were 4 joints and a bag of coke.

These are good wedding giftts

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 9, 2022

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

What is the protocol for friends/family getting remarried? Are registry presents one-and-done, or are you also expected to provide presents for your loved one's second/third/etc. marriage? I'd guess the former on account of anyone on their third marriage is probably foregoing the ceremony altogether.

The protocol is to at least cover the cost of your attendance. If there is nothing to attend, then there is no obligation.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Just buy them drugs instead, they will have a memorable time.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Devils Affricate posted:

I was actually looking at smart toasters on Amazon last night after reading this thread. All of them were under $100 except for this behemoth (and its earlier model for $300): https://smile.amazon.com/Revolution-R270-Touchscreen-Experience-High-Speed/dp/B09P1W15M9

I like the countdown timer because you never know when the toaster is going to pop, but other than that it seems a bit silly

Settings for 34(!) bread types :newfap:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My wife's cousin's wedding is in a month. Instead of presents she's asked for donations towards building a massive chicken coop. Those chickens shall live like queens.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

I loving hate having so much stuff that barely gets used, I couldn't imagine how guilty I'd feel ending up with thousands of dollars of crap we didn't want badly enough to have already bought ourselves.z

The worst gift we got was either the Yonannas Machine or the Griddler panini press that knocked out the electricity to the whole center island in the kitchen.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIxg4yTzDN8

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

If they're on a third marriage they should have the decency to not throw a big party. It shouldn't be more extravagant than a glorified potluck. I wouldn't spend more than $50 on a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Creature posted:

My wife's cousin's wedding is in a month. Instead of presents she's asked for donations towards building a massive chicken coop. Those chickens shall live like queens.

In a few months they should announce they're pregnant and do a gender reveal, but the box opens and dozens of chicken spill forth with a 'what did you expect?' sign.