Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Long before Premium Live Events, we lived in an era where you had to get to your TV and call your cable or satellite provider to order a wrestling show. They were few and far between in the '80s, but by the '90s they became a monthly occurrence for both the WWF and WCW. After the success I had with the Greatest Match of the '00s Tournament, I now present a new task for PSP: to determine the best PPV, top-to-bottom, aired between 1990 and 1999. For the purposes of ease of access, I have only taken in to account 184 events run by the WWF, WCW, ECW, one show by the UWF, and one super-show technically run by AAA. iPPVs are not counted, nor are the European-exclusive PPVs the WWF ran. Heroes of Wrestling is excluded for obvious reasons.

Seeing as 184 is not a power of 2 number, there will be nine PPVs that do not participate in the Fifth Round - these will be determined by results from the first four rounds. All match-ups will be determined by random draw. Polls stay open for two days from posting.

LET'S BEGIN

WWF In Your House: No Way Out of Texas against WWF In Your House: Judgment Day

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hard choice. NWO's card is real dire, but Judgement Day was more of the Kane and Undertaker bollocks to finish the show. JD had Shamrock/Mankind for the IC belt which I can imagine being pretty good so it gets my vote

e: Also early prediction for ECW Heatwave '98 to make a deep run

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i liked ppv events that had a localized name :)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Heroes of Wrestling is excluded for obvious reasons.

So you've robbed us of a potential Heroes of Wrestling vs IYH: Canadian Stampede match-up.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I have a brain that’s been exclusively fed booze and pot for the last 16 years, a write up of some sort seems like it would go a long way here.
If not that’s cool, I’ll likely be voting Canadian Stampede the whole way down anyway, bay-bay!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vote

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

LOL kay

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
You should post the cards instead of just the name of the event.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, in future I will post cards with the poll. Here's the cards for the two shows already being voted on:

IYH: No Way Out of Texas
-The Headbangers d. the Artist Formerly Known as Goldust and Marc Mero
-Taka Michinoku d. Pantera to retain the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
-The Godwinns d. The Quebecers
-Justin Bradshaw d. Jeff Jarrett by DQ in a match for the NWA North American Heavyweight Championship
-Ahmed Johnson, the Disciples of Apocalypse, and Ken Shamrock d. the Nation of Domination
-Kane d. Vader
-Cactus Jack, Chainsaw Charlie, Owen Hart and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin d. the New Age Outlaws, Savio Vega and Triple H

IYH: Judgement Day
-Al Snow d. Marc Mero
-LOD 2000 d. the Disciples of Apocalypse
-Christian d. Taka Michinoku to win the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
-Goldust d. Val Venis
-X-Pac d. D-Lo Brown to win the WWF European Championship
-The Headbangers d. the New Age Outlaws by DQ in a match for the WWF Tag Team Championship
-Ken Shamrock d. Mankind to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship
-Mark Henry d. the Rock
-Kane and the Undertaker drew for the WWF Championship, with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin as guest referee

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Neither of these shows are good so I went with the less screwy main event

This matchup really depends on how much you were into the Kane/Taker shenanigans at the time

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Judgment Day undercard is much better than the No Way Out of Texas undercard (Christian v. Taka, X-Pac v. D-Lo and Mankind v. Shamrock are worth checking out), but the main event is heinously bad, as you'd expect from a Kane v. Taker match-up. NWOOT has a much better main event, but gently caress me, the undercard sucks several flavours of gently caress.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
the NWOOT main event has Austin sniping Billy Gunn with a trash can from halfway across the ring. But the Judgment Day main event has Vince appearing in some mystery box he's apparently watching from above the entrance to deliver a proto "You're Fired" before it became Vince's meme.

Went with Judgment Day for the undercard, but these are definitely a pair of uneven stinkers.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I remember being crushed that I couldn't order No Way Out because I was grounded. I was going to miss the mystery partner in the main event, it could be anyone! When I read the results on WWF AOL that night, I learned that last minute surprises in wrestling are normally a bad thing.

The main event of Judgment Day is real bad, but the undercard is still a bit better than NWO. Also, "Mark Henry d. the Rock" at that point in time is crazy to me, even with interference.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 53.33% of the vote, IYH: Judgment Day advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

WWF WrestleMania VI against WCW Starrcade '94: Triple Threat

WrestleMania VI:
-Rick Martel d. Koko B. Ware
-Demolition d. the Colossal Connection to win the WWF Tag Team Championship
-Earthquake d. Hercules
-Brutus Beefcake d. Mr. Perfect
-Bad News Brown and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper go double countout
-The Hart Foundation d. the Bolsheviks
-The Barbarian d. Tito Santana
-Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire d. "Macho King" Randy Savage & Queen Sherri
-The Orient Express d. the Rockers by countout
-"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan d. Dino Bravo
-Ted DiBiase d. Jake "the Snake" Roberts by countout to retain the Million Dollar Championship
-Big Boss Man d. Akeem
-Rick Rude d. Jimmy Snuka
-The Ultimate Warrior d. Hulk Hogan to win the WWF Championship and retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Starrcade '94: Triple Threat
-Vader d. Jim Duggan to win the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
-Alex Wright d. Jean-Paul Levesque
-Johnny B. Badd d. Arn Anderson to retain the WCW World Television Championship
-The Nasty Boys d. Harlem Heat by DQ
-Mr. T d. Kevin Sullivan
-Sting d. Avalanche by DQ
-Hulk Hogan d. the Butcher to retain the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Not a lot of great matches in both shows. I'll go with WM6 just for the legendary main-event even if Duggan-Vader is legit good.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wm4 sucked so hard voting for starcade

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm the only person who voted against wrestlemania 6

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

Wm4 sucked so hard voting for starcade

What about WM6 though?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its funny as I wrote that my lil voice was like drat wm 4 was in the nineties wild. Still stand by it wm 4 sucked

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Plus side, WM6 has that Andre face turn, the surprise Elizabeth return, and Hogan/Warrior, which is better than it has any right to be. Downside, it's got half-black Piper and a lot of filler, which this period of Mania has in spades.

But Starrcade 1994 has main event Beefcake.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

thatguyclint posted:

Plus side, WM6 has that Andre face turn, the surprise Elizabeth return, and Hogan/Warrior, which is better than it has any right to be. Downside, it's got half-black Piper and a lot of filler, which this period of Mania has in spades.

But Starrcade 1994 has main event Beefcake.

Also the Mr. T match where he wrestles nearly the entirety with his hands trapped in his shirtsleeves. It's a legendary tire fire.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Main Event Ed Leslie

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there is still time for starrcade to come roaring back. it needs 0.8 vote per hour

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

needs more than 1 vote per hour now. what the gently caress mate

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted for mania sorry everyone

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it wouldn't let me delete your vote

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I liked that Mania, so I voted for it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 71.43% of the vote, WrestleMania VI advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST will have to wait until my computer gets back from the repair shop. It may be Saturday, it may be Monday.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edward Mass VS Computer Shop

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

With 75.00% of the vote, Computer Shop advances.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, I've got my computer back, and it mostly works. OUR NEXT CONTEST...

WCW Bash at the Beach '95 against WWF WrestleMania XII

Bash at the Beach '95:
-Sting d. Meng to retain the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
-The Renegade d. Paul Orndorff to retain the WCW World Television Championship
-Kamala d. Jim Duggan
-Diamond Dallas Page d. Dave Sullivan
-Harlem Heat d. the Nasty Boys and the Blue Bloods to retain the WCW World Tag Team Championship
-Randy Savage d. Ric Flair in a Lifeguard match
-Hulk Hogan d. Vader in a cage match to retain the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

WrestleMania XII:
-The British Bulldog, Owen Hart and Vader d. Ahmed Johnson, Jake Roberts and Yokozuna
-Roddy Piper d. Goldust in a Hollywood Backlot Brawl
-"Stone Cold" Steve Austin d. Savio Vega
-The Ultimate Warrior d. Hunter Hearst Helmsley
-The Undertaker d. Diesel
-Shawn Michaels d. Bret Hart in an Ironman Match to win the WWF Championship

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

man. u.s. wrestling sucked so drat bad in the 90s

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voting for the one that didn't have a real boring Iron Man match

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Voting for the one that had The Renegade & Evad Sullivan on it

Hollywood Backlot Brawl is a loving mess, but it's also one of the most memorable Wrestlemania "matches" I've seen. I can remember almost every bit of it in a way I can't even with Mania matches I much, MUCH prefer like Bret Owen. It's utterly convincing as a hatefilled mess of a brawl where they are trying to legitimately hurt each other. It's incredibly stupid & despite that or because of it I have a deep fondness for it.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 19, 2022

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I think if I had to pick one to watch it’d be Wrestlemania, but I voted for Bash due to Vaders higher placement on the card.

Also Flair/Savage is probably better than Diesel/Undertaker.
Also, also I like the Iron Match and consider it ‘a big deal’ but I never actually want to watch it so :shrug:

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 19, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

man. u.s. wrestling sucked so drat bad in the 90s

usa in the DIRT

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 61.11% of the vote, Bash at the Beach '95 advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

WCW/New Japan Supershow III against WWF SummerSlam '96

Supershow III:
-Jushin "Thunder" Liger d. Ultimo Dragon to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
-Ron Simmons d. Tony Halme
-Masa Saito & Shinya Hashimoto d. Scott Norton & Dustin Rhodes
-The Great Muta d. Masahiro Chono to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and retain the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
-Takayuki Iizuka, Akira Nogami, and El Samurai d. Nobukazu Hirai, Masao Orihara, and Koki Kitahara
-Sting d. Hiroshi Hase

SummerSlam '96:
-Owen Hart d. Savio Vega
-The Smoking Gunns d. the New Rockers, the Godwinns, and the Bodydonnas in an elimination match to retain the WWF Tag Team Championship
-Sycho Sid d. the British Bulldog
-Goldust d. Marc Mero
-Jerry Lawler d. Jake Roberts
-Mankind d. the Undertaker in a Boiler Room Brawl
-Shawn Michaels d. Vader to retain the WWF Championship

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Iizuka's retirement was so much better than HBK's, especially since his actually stuck

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SG Bamboo posted:

Iizuka's retirement was so much better than HBK's, especially since his actually stuck

Iizuka straight up had the best retirement I've ever seen. I'd say Ric Flair's topped it, except Ric ended up coming back and wrestling again and again and lost (for many other reasons as well) a shitload of goodwill. Iizuka just did a batshit insane but incredibly sincere angle with his oldest friend and ended things about as perfectly as possible, and they continued to have fun with it afterwards in the void left by his absence, what with Taichi both coveting and being haunted by The Iron Finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 71.43% of the vote, Supershow III advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

WCW Beach Blast '92 against WCW Starrcade '93: 10th Anniversary

Beach Blast '92:
-Scotty Flamingo d. Brian Pillman to win the WCW Light Heavyweight Championship
-Ron Simmons d. Terry Taylor
-Greg Valentine d. Marcus Bagwell
-Sting d. Cactus Jack in a Falls Count Anywhere match
-Ricky Steamboat d. Rick Rude in an Ironman match
-Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham, and Nikita Koloff d. the Dangerous Alliance by disqualification with special referee Ole Anderson
-The Steiner Brothers and the Miracle Violence Connection went to a time limit draw

Starrcade '93: 10th Anniversary:
-Pretty Wonderful d. 2 Cold Scorpio and Marcus Bagwell
-The Shockmaster d. Awesome Kong
-Lord Steven Regal and Ricky Steamboat went to a time limit draw for the WCW World Television Championship
-Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne d. Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce
-Steve Austin d. Dustin Rhodes in a 2-out-of-3 falls match to win the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
-Rick Rude d. the Boss to retain the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship
-Sting and Road Warrior Hawk d. the Nasty Boys by disqualification in a match for the WCW World Tag Team Championship
-Ric Flair d. Vader in a title vs. career match to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship