Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Problem description:

I recently bought a pre-built PC (thanks, GPU shortages) to replace/go alongside my 7 year old machine so my partner and I could play games together. Everything seemed to be going fine with the new machine until I started to actually play something, after about 2 minutes of play time it started to sound like a jet engine was taking off beside me. To make it more annoying, the fans wouldn't slow down after I closed the game, they just stay at that speed until you shut down/restart.

The amount of noise is insane when compared to my 7 year old device, which has always run as quiet as a mouse. I don't know if I've just been spoilt rotten by my other PC, but the new one is a bit unbearable to play on at the moment.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not ignorant when it comes to PC hardware, so I'm very much hoping this is going to be a case of someone saying "it's just the CPU cooler, buy a better one".

Attempted fixes:

Looking inside the machine while this happens, the noise is coming from the GPU fans whirring up from nothing to very fast. There's no in-between.

At first I attempted to mess with the fan settings in ASUS' Armoury Crate, but that turns out to be a horrible bit of software so quickly uninstalled that. I then used both of SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner to mess with the curves and see if I could slow/quieten them down, but I'm very much aware they're doing it for a reason so I don't want to slow them too much. No matter what settings I choose, it seems like the fans are off until it hits whatever temperature I set the curve to start at (let's say 50°C) and then turn on very loud and fast. Once they're going they don't stop, even once the temp reaches back down to 30°C.

I couldn't see anything particularly useful in Nvidia's control panel, nor good I find any settings on Google to try out.

I've reset the BIOS, and I've done a clean install of Windows 11. No change.

I've had Afterburner up while playing the same game on both my old machine and new machine - my older PC rarely goes above 35-40°C, and even if it does go above that it stays quiet. The new machine slowly ramps up to about 55-60°C, fans kick in like crazy and the temp then hovers around there.

My main worry is the new build been put together wrong, but I'm honestly not sure if this is just a case of the cooler in my older device is just that good, or the new case is that bad at cancelling noise? I don't have much of a frame of reference.

Recent changes:

New PC.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 Home

System specs:

The specs for my new machine are:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Prime B660M-A D4
  • CPU: Intel i5 12400F
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 12GB Gaming OC
  • Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7x
  • PSU: Corsair CX550F RGB Bronze Rated
  • Memory: Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX
  • Storage: Western Digital SN550 500GB NVME M.2 SSD/Western Digital 1TB Blue Hard Drive
  • Case: Lian Li Lancool 215 Black RGB Gaming Case

For reference, super quiet old machine specs are here (only thing that's changed from 7 years ago is the 2070 super being added 2 years ago): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zWMCJM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There's a chance the GPU and/or its fan has some defect causing it to get stuck at a high RPM setting.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
You can try undervolting the gpu, or add additional cooling so the gpu can stay cool and not spin up the fans under load... Not ideal, but 30xx cards do run hot.

A great trick is to get another AIO cooler (like a cpu one with a small 120mm or 240mm radiator) and attach the block you would normally attach to a CPU to the metal back plate of the GPU with some thermal pads (maybe paste) to pull out some of the excess heat off the card. That might cool it enough to make it shut up. The cheesy-easy way to attach it is with some simple slip-clamps like you can get at any hardware store for clamping wood, like two of them should do it, ugly but effective.

Otherwise look at aftermarket coolers and GPU AIOs to replace the stock fans entirely.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 16, 2022