Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Go see da ICSA thread here. Thank you to our Chairman Shooting Blanks for hosting!
The word pomegranate literally comes from the Latin words for "apple" and (wait for it) "pomegrante". Hell yes let's get etymologically recursive up in this bitch

Wait I know nothing about etymology beyond googling so instead let's cook with it a bit

Shoot, forgot to document the process. Okay, I'll cook it all again and take photos this time.

First I dehydrated some arils over 48 hours. This makes anardana, a spice that smells amazing when you grind it - dark and floral. I'm pretty sure Ottolenghi uses this as cologne.

Next I started a hot honey ferment. Didn't know what I wanted to make with it at this point, I just knew that the fruity pomegranate would go well with the honey and the habs, and I was pleasantly surprised! Had to stick it in my oven with the light on to get it above the ~65°F room temperature, since I only had a week for it to get funky.

Dessert can also be made ahead - we'll need some jello:

And some chai salty caramel sauce. Should be 6 Tbsp butter, which I fixed after the photo.

Bring it all together with some yogurt panna cotta, but forget to show the process. Whisk half the milk with the yogurt, heat the other half of the milk to dissolve the sugar, add hydrated gelatin & mix everything with lemon juice:

Okay, layer those bad boys. Not sure layer order or proper glassware so do some ~experimentation~ chilling each layer along the way. My favorite is caramel on bottom → panna cotta → jellied pom

Make 👏 some 👏 white 👏 salad

cut it all up (and forget to document this portion)
toast deez nuts (and pine nuts for later)

do some weird things to peel dem hazels
https://i.imgur.com/J4JRqDY.mp4
first dish plated!

Main dish ahoy: cauliflower shawarma
Spice rub! Goal is to go heavy on the dried pomegranate (anardana) on a mostly neutral cauliflower base:

Save some anardana to add more at the table, because yum.
Make some buttah

Par-boil the cauliflower so you can use screaming high heat at the end without having a raw-rear end center:

Slather and sizzle:
https://i.imgur.com/ZHPCGaN.mp4

Simple tahini sauce! Don't forget most food processors have holes in the top to help slowly drizzle in ice water / oil / whatever:

Make it fuckin' fancy:

Make spicy honey soda!

Give it smoky booze!

Cheers, fuckers ❤️

Finish that dessert so it looks less like the cover of Natural Harvest:

Tasting notes:
Anardana is a new favorite spice. Think of how sumac is a very deep flavor that highlights "sour". Anardana is a very deep flavor that highlights sweet / floral. It will be in my rotation. Bonus, it looks like you're sprinkling unicorn dust on your food :3:
Hot honey fermented arils are fantastic. I've had several spoon-fuls throughout the ferment, and they're completely different from pomegranates, grenadine, or anardana. It's just a new flavor that the yeasties give it. Best I can describe is that the pomegranate had a sloppy three-way with hibiscus and a sour cherry. Will 100% be frying some chicken before I use the rest in the delicious soda.
The white salad was good. I had never used celeriac before, and it serves the same purpose as jicama to give you a crunchy earthy bite in a salad to carry some great flavors through. Very needed since the leek was pungent since it was raw aside from a couple water rinses and an hour in lemon juice. I must be honest the pomegranates were absolutely necessary to balance the dish but weren't super prominent - I loved my bites with more of them but I wouldn't call it a pomegranate-forward dish.
Cauliflower "Shawarma" is phenomenal. It's visually stunning, so a great idea if you ever host vegetarians. The anardana butter was nutty on the charred bits and fruity on the rest. Any excuse to eat more tahini sauce and toasted pine nuts is A-OK in my book! Next time I'll boil the cauliflower a bit less so it has a bit more bite to it.
Holy poo poo This Dessert, Guys. No notes, don't change a thing, if you make it yourself hide a couple in the back of the fridge so you can have extra just for you. It's like flan had a drag name of Salty Pomegranate.

Edit: voting thread here, see other entries and vote!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

First I dehydrated some arils over 48 hours. This makes anardana, a spice that smells amazing when you grind it - dark and floral. I'm pretty sure Ottolenghi uses this as cologne.

Absolutely inspired, what a great idea. I love it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

That anardana looks great on the cauliflower. I will have to try that.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
OMG that dessert looks amazing - could you give a few more steps for the dessertly disinclined? I'm not a pro at the sweet stuff...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

the_chavi posted:

OMG that dessert looks amazing - could you give a few more steps for the dessertly disinclined? I'm not a pro at the sweet stuff...

Sure!
Jello: 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 cup pom juice and ~dealer's choice~ amount of arils, in a pot. Simmer as long as you like, next time I'll go until reduced by half but in this case reduced by 1/4 was fine. Hydrate 1 pack gelatin* in a ~4 tbsp (1/4 cup) cool water for 5 minutes, then take pom off the heat and stir in. Set aside, it will stay liquid until you chill so you have plenty of time for the other components.

* I tried to just do 1/4 pack as shown in the photo so the whole dessert would use only 1 pack total, but alas it didn't set. You can test how well it'll set by putting a small amount on a plate in the freezer.

Caramel syrup: heat 1/2 cup heavy cream to 150°F (microwave is fine) and steep ~1.5 Tbsp chai spices while you do the rest. For best results, strain out the spices. Then melt 6 Tbsp butter and add 3/4 cup sugar. Stir until it hits 350°F (trust your thermometer here - it'll go through a wild ride of very odd textures before it hits 350), then take off the heat and whisk in the heavy cream. Be VERY careful here - it will sputter and potentially fling hot lava on your bare skin. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla and salt to taste. Note: sugar work is 100x easier if you have an induction burner. Other forms of stovetops superheat the sides of your pot above your target temperature, so when you stir the sugar it goes nutso and can easily scorch or bubble over. If you don't have one, you can instead put a small pot inside a skillet to act as a heat diffuser, but this makes it very slow to adjust your heat.

That last step, off heat:
https://i.imgur.com/EHQQ0Vj.mp4

Panna cotta:

Whisk 320g yogurt with 3/4 cup milk. Heat the other 3/4 cup of the milk to dissolve 1/2 cup of sugar (or up to 1 cup, your preference). Hydrate 3/4 packet gelatin in a ~4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) cool water for 5 minutes, then add to the warm milk. Mix it all together, then add lemon juice. For best texture, strain before pouring into glassware or ramekins.

Assembly: Make sure everything is room temperature or the minimum level of warm to be pour-able but no hotter. Caramel, chill 15 minutes, panna cotta, chill 30 minutes, jello. When I made it, I didn't too well, and only let the first 2 layers set a shorter amount of time and in some of the glasses the warm jello melted the layer beneath. Thankfully it all tastes good no matter what, and I had one that turned out nice enough looking for the photo! (back-right)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This is all really, really good. That anardana looks like it might compete with my powdered hibiscus!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Amazing

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Love the cauliflower dish! Drying the arils in the oven was something I was going to do for my entry- cool to know it has a name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The dessert really makes this entry. Great job!