Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Lobok posted:

I feel like I need a map for the Club. Does the level layout actually make sense or do you effectively teleport sometimes? I don't know what route I took the other day but I was trying to get as many enemies as possible and that didn't work out. I missed the whole pit section and that first mini-boss kickboxer guy.

You used the keycard to go through the door on the right of the dance floor. The door on the left takes you upstairs and to the pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
I'm slowly getting better at this game (it somehow helped putting it down for a few days while I was away), and made my way past Boss 3 - yay.

For those who are farther along/done - any unlocked skills that you find really useful? I have environment mastery, the sweep, weapon catch, and weapon mastery unlocked and those all seem like must-haves. Anything else people recommend?

(I also have raining strikes, but for some reason just cannot seem to get the timing of that one even in training - it's just triangle, pause, triangle, but it seems super inconsistent so I feel like I must be missing something.)

I've also done a total 180 on this game since my first post and think it's just brilliant. Such a good feeling to go from barely clearing the first level to just stomping my way through it with no deaths.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tpink posted:

I'm slowly getting better at this game (it somehow helped putting it down for a few days while I was away), and made my way past Boss 3 - yay.

For those who are farther along/done - any unlocked skills that you find really useful? I have environment mastery, the sweep, weapon catch, and weapon mastery unlocked and those all seem like must-haves. Anything else people recommend?

(I also have raining strikes, but for some reason just cannot seem to get the timing of that one even in training - it's just triangle, pause, triangle, but it seems super inconsistent so I feel like I must be missing something.)

I've also done a total 180 on this game since my first post and think it's just brilliant. Such a good feeling to go from barely clearing the first level to just stomping my way through it with no deaths.

Charged Backfist is good on its own, but if used with a dagger weapon then it instantly breaks the weapon and one-shots anyone it hits. anyone. if the target isn't a boss then their life bar is straight-up deleted

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

tpink posted:

This is yet another point where thinking of it in terms of music helps. Try this out- Go to Club and tap R2 for the movement dodge in time with the kick drum in the background music. That kick drum represents the fastest the protag can act without any pausing from hits or whatever, and seeing that movement will help in terms of thinking about how the timing works. The timing of Raining Strikes is tap pause tap in time in the kick drum, so it will be 3 beats total.

Oxxidation posted:

Charged Backfist is good on its own, but if used with a dagger weapon then it instantly breaks the weapon and one-shots anyone it hits. anyone. if the target isn't a boss then their life bar is straight-up deleted

You can use charged backfist with a dagger just fine unless you charge it all the way. You don't have to charge it up all the way. You also don't have to charge up the backfist all the waywith or without a weapon regardless, and it works in mid-combo as a way to stun people.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Xand_Man posted:

In the Club is there a point to the path that takes you up to the tech guy or is it just an extra challenge

Once you reach stage 4 and interact with the boss' computer, you can go back and talk to the tech guy about it. He'll give you a USB key you can use to hack into the computer and unlock it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

signalnoise posted:

You can use charged backfist with a dagger just fine unless you charge it all the way. You don't have to charge it up all the way.

if my charged dagger attack doesn't end with my dagger nestled in somebody's gastric lining then it was a failed attack

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Xand_Man posted:

In the Club is there a point to the path that takes you up to the tech guy or is it just an extra challenge

Once you get to level 4, check the computer, it'll need a password. That tech guy says he does computers...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

tpink posted:

You nailed my must haves, and I would argue that the forward, forward heavy (step in attack) is another one - having a space-traversing, tracking attack is sweet in helping me clear rooms efficiently, because it can get me away from a crowd while still targeting a lone enemy. Also charged backfist because when using a bladed weapon, a "level 2" charge does an instant kill at the cost of a weapon, helpful against many elites (your character will pose twice, the moment they go into the second pose it's an instant kill already, though if you hold it long enough your character will attack anyway)

I will also say that I dislike charging slide, and after trying it out a few times, have opted not to get it. The reason being that a running heavy strike, against unaware enemies, even elites, will trigger a takedown; very handy in fights where you are hidden before it begins, basically a free elimination of a character. The slide works to surprise people, but knocks them down and you still have to deplete their health/structure. And if I really need a low attack, I still have my focus sweep, and regular sweep. That's pretty much the only upgrade I feel that gets in the way of my playstyle though.

tpink posted:

For a visual cue, try doing a single heavy attack on its own. You see the moment that your character decides to reset back to their neutral stance? You want to hit the second heavy attack just before that animation happens.

Also note it has to be a regular heavy attack. For instance, if you did a parry and then press heavy and get the special parry-to-attack animation, it doesn't count as a regular heavy attack, so you would need to press heavy again to get the usual animation, and then pause and press heavy again.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Any hit against an unaware enemy will put them in the critical state, including running light or the running heavy slide

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tarezax posted:

Any hit against an unaware enemy will put them in the critical state, including running light or the running heavy slide

Whaaaaat, but when I tried the slide for level 4 (the entrance, and the lady giving the speech) the prompt didn't trigger!!

Maybe I mistimed it or they were aware of me in a split second. I'll give it another go, I have the exp and it's the last non-focus skill I have left

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Artelier posted:

Whaaaaat, but when I tried the slide for level 4 (the entrance, and the lady giving the speech) the prompt didn't trigger!!

Maybe I mistimed it or they were aware of me in a split second. I'll give it another go, I have the exp and it's the last non-focus skill I have left

Try it on the couple that are on the right side, straight ahead of you as you enter the dance area of Club. They pretty much always eat the first attack flat-footed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I went ahead and wrote this out for the unpopular game opinions thread so I might as well crosspost it here

Basically, each action your character can do takes up a fixed amount of time that fits a BPM if you treat the game that way. I generally tell people to check against the music on stage 2 because that's where it is most obvious, as the kick drum matches up with that timing. So, you can think of each attack as being the length of 1 beat, and you should be inputting an action every beat. You can parry or evade in the middle of attacking, and hitting an enemy causes time to dilate such that it adds a predictable amount of time. A successful parry, avoid, or stun also adds a predictable amount of time, and all of these time dilations work as a function of your own attack speed.

There are a couple of ways that you can use this to your advantage. One way is to just attack a lot and use the pauses as a buffer for your own reaction speed. If you wanna just go ham with light attacks and dodge when necessary, I call that the rubdown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX8BNeFA3BY

Thing is, that technique doesn't really use the music. In fact, it fucks up any chance you'd have at using the music to your advantage, because it throws off the enemy's timing. Throwing off the enemy's attack timing throws off your timing. The way to use the music is to plan your attacks such that the pause will end just as your enemy's attack is about to land, and to drop the parry as the pause ends, which you will know the timing for because you set it up. If you do it right, you don't actually have to time your parry for the incoming attack. Instead, if you do it right, you can just hold the guard button and it will count as a perfectly timed parry because the guard will activate as the attack comes in.

There's a missing element here still, which is how do you know what the timing is for you to set it up? That's the really cool part here that makes it really like a music game. If you just sit back and watch enemies attack, you'll find that they all have set patterns that go off like they're run on a midi sequencer that resets along with the background music. If the enemy attacks on the 2, they'll try to attack on the 2 every time. Patterns have gaps in them, sometimes they change based on whether an attack lands or whiffs, etc, so it feels very dynamic, but underneath it all, you predict strings based on very consistently spaced timing between attacks and relative to their position in a musical sequence.

It's not something I would say is obvious when you're just playing it like a normal person but I have been told I'm not a normal person on multiple occasions and maybe they're right. Anyways if this helps anyone else have the feeling of playing Sifu like they're in that episode of Chuck where dude beats the poo poo out of Missile Command by listening to Rush, then I'm fine not being a normal person. It feels great

Caros
May 14, 2008

For anyone struggling the boss there is a combo which exists (but probably should be patched) that is fairly strong and easy to execute. Three heavy hits for good damage, followed by a hard cancel (you have to practice the timing) on your sweep will leave them on their rear end every time. Tons of damage against Sean, kuroki and a lot of the mini bosses. Doesn't work great against boss 4 or yang, and who cares about fajar, dude is a chump. .

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

signalnoise posted:

I went ahead and wrote this out for the unpopular game opinions thread so I might as well crosspost it here

I want to appreciate your posts more but feel like I need to be a thousand times better at the game to get there. Kinda feels like you're listening to classical music and asking me to hear the nuances of each instrument while you're in the passenger seat of the rally car I'm driving and it's all I can do to stay on the road at any given second.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lobok posted:

I want to appreciate your posts more but feel like I need to be a thousand times better at the game to get there. Kinda feels like you're listening to classical music and asking me to hear the nuances of each instrument while you're in the passenger seat of the rally car I'm driving and it's all I can do to stay on the road at any given second.

Well, since there is interest, I'll tell ya what. I've been interested in making longform video stuff for a long time, and I have some time and a Wondershare Filmora account. I'll gather up some footage and make a short video with some more direct audio/visual aids. I really do think that it is a key to turning this game into something extra special, beyond just a beatemup, so it's worth my time to do it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd be into it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I want to say about this game is that I love how the environment really makes each fight. A problem I have with a lot of games that are otherwise great with combat is when the environment is largely inconsequential. The player and the enemies could fight in featureless flat voids and very little would be lost. But the walls and elevation and vaulting surfaces and usable objects are such huge and integral assets or liabilities during your fights in this game. The combat system is specifically designed with offensive and defensive moves to exploit and avoid the increased damage and structure impact of being knocked into stuff. Beyond the amazing fun of feeling like I'm fighting like Jackie Chan it's just fantastic gameplay.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought I was going to give up on this game but I can't really stop playing this, so I'm actually on the way to bring it down to 25. I got the artist down to age 21, and then got the old lady down to 25. I never really learned the old lady because you can just eat a bunch of deaths usually because her health is so low, but sub 25 and the platinum is finally within reach.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought I was going to give up on this game but I can't really stop playing this, so I'm actually on the way to bring it down to 25. I got the artist down to age 21, and then got the old lady down to 25. I never really learned the old lady because you can just eat a bunch of deaths usually because her health is so low, but sub 25 and the platinum is finally within reach.

The CEO is just barely tougher than Sean. She's annoying at first because she has so much range but her move-set is really small. Once you start to recognize the timing she's a push-over because, like you said, she's quite squishy compared to the other bosses.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The trick behind the CEO is that the 3rd hit of all her strings is a sweep

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The other trick to the CEO is to watch and dodge her arm and not her weapon, because it doesn't have any noticable travel time at longer ranges.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I would actually argue that Jinfeng is the easiest boss in the game and is only more difficult than Fajar insofar as going through the two minibosses as you descend through the Tower to get to her is trickier than blowing through The Stacks' mostly basic enemies to get to him.

Personal boss difficulty tier:

Yang
Kuroki
Sean
Fajar
Jinfeng

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Goddamn hell yeah, Sifu plat accomplished. This game was so fun.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
This is one of two games I've gone out of my way to platinum/100% Achievements (The other being Call of Juarez: Gunslinger). It's really good.

Props to SloClap for having reasonable trophies, too. No "Defeat the final boss without dying or attacking or taking damage at age 20" nonsense or what have you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The other trick to the CEO is to watch and dodge her arm and not her weapon, because it doesn't have any noticable travel time at longer ranges.

Based on feel, this is the same for Artist Phase 2's long range attack I think, the one with the twing! There's no need to account for range, it's basically the same timing every time as far as the game's concerned, which is basically just as the attack comes out.

This doesn't apply to projectiles though! Those you gotta time properly, but the catching window is pretty generous.

Personal Boss Difficulty, first time through
Yang
Kuroki Phase 1
Sean
Fajar
Kuroki Phase 2
Jinfeng

Personal Boss Difficulty now
Yang
Kuroki Phase 1
Fajar
Kuroki Phase 2
Jinfeng
Sean

Sorry Sean. You really predictable.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I finally got my sub 25 trophy, I kept telling myself I wasn't going to bother but I couldn't stop playing. The last boss used to beat the poo poo out of me so badly but the more you fight him, the more moves you can dodge and counter and eventually you're clowning him like all the others.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Sean was changed recently to be less cagey, right? That made a huge difference, as did reminding myself that you can afford to block the start of most combos then dodge the rest when you know which it is.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Almost to Kuroki in the museum, and it's my favorite level so far BUT I've been having a lot of trouble with the Kick ladies. Any tips?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Almost to Kuroki in the museum, and it's my favorite level so far BUT I've been having a lot of trouble with the Kick ladies. Any tips?

most of their attacks can be ducked under, aside from the sweep. if you’re knocked off your feet, don’t get up - instead use the ground counter (buy it if you haven’t) on the axe kick follow up. they always bust it out immediately and the counter window is very generous

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Finally got to a final boss!

Question: if I try to perfect parry the first attack of a string, mess up and have it come out late and get hit, does that mean none of the rest of my parries are going to come out? Or should I keep trying to parry the rest of the chain?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FAT BATMAN posted:

Finally got to a final boss!

Question: if I try to perfect parry the first attack of a string, mess up and have it come out late and get hit, does that mean none of the rest of my parries are going to come out? Or should I keep trying to parry the rest of the chain?

I may be wrong on this but so long as the attack you get hit by doesn't trigger the "stun" effect, (blurry screen, your guy holds still for a while) then you should be able to parry/dodge the rest of the string

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really wanted to like this game, especially after reading the Sekiro comparisons and Signalnoise's excellent posts, but I think it isn't nearly as well designed as Sekiro. I got to the museum level, but wanted to go back to the club to get a better age, and I'm really just not feeling the combat. It feel like it works well vs 2-3 people, but the game like to throw 5-7 at you constantly.

The visual indicators aren't good enough and I just end up frustrated, especially if I am trying to maintain a high score multiplier. Sekiro's visual indicators happened before the attack occured and were a large red flashing kanji. So many of the unblockable attacks in this game have like a character's forearm light up for 0.2 seconds as they are in the process of throwing the attack. A great example is sweep attacks where you need to dodge up. They are quite infrequent so it's hard to prepare for them and the enemy's leg lights up as they are already in the process of sweeping you. It would be much better if the enemy's leg lit up like 0.5 seconds before the attack. Add a room of 5 dudes and it's just a nightmare. A fight can be going well and then all of a sudden you are at 1/4 health.

I would power through and beat it if it weren't for the annoying go back and play the level over and over until you can do it better element. I just don't think I'm having enough fun to justify continuing at this point.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Having played through both Sekiro, and Sifu back to back, I found it far easier to handle groups in this than in Sekiro. Sekiro's targeting gets very clunky every time you have more than 1 enemy in melee range, here you can switch between targets pretty smoothly. It's also great thatthat parries/avoids are 360 degrees and you can cancel into them at any time, so it's very easy to switch between offense and defense constantly. I agree with you that sweeps are too hard to dodge however, I never got the timing for those very well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slocap released their update schedule. Sounds pretty awesome. Loving the potential of the replay editor coming in winter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm hype for arenas. Probably won't mess around with the modifiers they have listed tho, none of them sound particularly fun

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
No pendant one health point run let's

loving

Go

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

All skills unlocked, nice!

Edit: Dare I ask how the whole difficulty settings thing has been received?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll see a post from Sifu socials every now and then and realize I still haven't played it. Whats the general review of the game now that its been out a while?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
thumbs up, first rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Switch port has been out for a bit, and overall it runs well enough. Only a few places where it really suffers, like both jumps in the first stage when it’s frantically trying to load a new room while you’re fighting in it. Load times are a bit long, too.