Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Play posted:

Also someone please tell me how that shortcut in level 1 works, how do you activate that thing.

Play through level 1 normally. Look around and you'll find the key to the locked gate that you see right at the start when you enter the apartments (before you go up the stairs).
Once you've got the key, any time you go into the level you can go through that gate instead which skips a large chunk of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright, so I just discovered today that there are two endings. Beating the game gets you one ending.

To get the second ending you need to spare the bosses. You do this by breaking their structure in their second phase, backing off so they recover, then breaking it again. :allears:

Good to see that if the game isn't hard enough for you, you can shoot for the second ending instead :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Play posted:

For my part thanks to the tips I picked up today from you guys I beat the first boss at 26. And I'm sure I can take that down by three deaths at least, I got cocky in one of the rooms that has a lot of guys and didn't take my time properly.

Congratulations, keep going and you'll be chumping them in no time.

I really, really love this game.

From watching other folks play and chatting a bit in a Sifu discord one thing I need to work on is using Focus attacks more - the heavy sweep in particular (unlockable, but in your top age bracket and only 500xp a shot from memory) is a great tool to either force engagement / take out high priority targets or just as a panic button to drop a dangerous opponent for a while to give you time to reposition / readjust. Someone made the point as well that the eye gouge focus attack works great as a combo extender, too, to help dish out more damage.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

JBP posted:

I just love playing the game. Doing the levels again is fun. Some people get obsessed with "progress" or whatever. You're always unlocking sick Kung Fu and fighting bastards what else is there?

This is also my opinion.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

fnox posted:

I wish the unlocks were permanent by default, I'm not sure what the point even is for having temporary unlocks.

The metaprogression elements - and that's a much more accurate term than "roguelike" even if it has become horrendously conflated with it - don't bother me, personally, though I appreciate that won't be true for everyone.

I suspect the developers felt like they needed to include them to add an extra layer of player engagement and incentive to what is otherwise a very punishing beat 'em up game.

I'm sympathetic to that decision. The fact is, beat 'em ups are pretty drat dead as a mainstream release genre. The only recent exception was Streets of Rage 4, which was always going to have a significant boost in appeal by being the continuation of a well known and well loved retro franchise that nostalgia is ripe for. There's River City Girls and the upcoming RCG2 and TMNT game from WayForward, but again these are trading on existing franchise awareness and popularity.

That means releasing a new beat 'em up not based on an existing property has to be pretty daunting, and particularly if your design is to make a very punishing beat 'em up where death is a constant threat with a real impact to the player, there's no guarantee that players will have the appetite and desire to keep throwing themselves at it. By including these metaprogression elements, players can feel like they're progressing towards something, even when they fail, while they go through the required time to get familiar with the game's systems and mechanics and more or less git gud.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Had a good run tonight.

Got my first deathless run of Stage 1 (full run, too) and then made it out of Stage 2 at 23 - irritatingly, a death to the staff disciple that I normally have no problem with and a death to the two disciples just before Sean, but I managed to no-death Sean as well.

Stage 3 was beautiful. God I love the mystical transformations at the end of the stages - Kumori's is spectacular. gently caress me her disciples wearing masks are absolutely brutal though, a good chunk of my deaths in that stage were them smashing my structure with one kick then killing me with the follow up before I could get my tired old reflexes moving. Got up to Kumori but she took me to high 60s before I forced her second (easier, I think) phase and then I choked inches away from closing out the fight. It wouldn't have done much good with my age so high but makes me confident it won't be long before I smash through that stage as well and at least I got the shortcut keys!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know where the locked door in the club that you get a key for in the museum is? I've scoured the place and just can't find it, although I think I remember seeing it at least once.

Yang is hard.

Haven't had a chance to try this myself as I just unlocked it last night but I remember where the door is.

After the group fight right as you enter the club and then the kicking woman that you fight on the dance floor, the door on the left side of the room will open and two more enemies come in. Next to the door that just opened is the locked door for that code. (Opposite side of the room from the keycard door you'd normally go through to start the shortcut route)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

like tossing 30 paint-filled lightbulbs at a single person

Ah, I see that you too are a person of culture

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Perestroika posted:

RIP to that one blonde woman in Sean's club who always eats an unexpected baseball bat to the back of the head the moment I get through the doors. :allears:

Additional RIP to the "please don't hit me" guy just past the entrance.

Buddy, I will always come back to hit you.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Made it up to the CEO a few times to get a feel for her patterns/get her shortcuts for the level but I definitely need to get my Artist deaths down.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Some balance tweaks to the game with the new 1.06 patch.
Notes pulled from the PS version that someone shared to Reddit as I can't find a way to view them on the PC.
Note that although there's no fix here for the Shrine bug (getting a perfect run at Age 20 on a stage will permanently lock your shrine choices on that stage with no way to update it by doing a better run) the devs are aware of it and have said a fix is coming next patch.

Sifu 1.06 Patch Notes posted:

Design:

-Sean
Intentions: Being one of our first bosses, Sean is meant to encourage players to explore their defensive options. But for a player with partial knowledge of the combat system this fight can be ruthless, as such we want to balance the boss to be less unforgiving while keeping its identity to allow more experimentation.
Global: Deals slightly less damage on a few key moves.
Global: The sweep attack is now avoid punishable.
Phase 2: Changed the trigger condition for the Burst phase
Phase 2 Burst: No longer randomly disengages the combat

-Disciple
Intentions: Disciple is a lethal archetype focused on few but very powerful offbeat attacks. In addition to their exotic combos they can be very evasive and oppressive, which make for frustrating fights in 1 vs many situations, we want to tone this down.
Deals slightly less damage on a few key moves.
Changed the disciple placement when fighting in a group.
Relies less on avoid while in defense
Tweaked attack patterns for advanced version
Both Disciples before Sean are now the base version of the archetype.

Bug Fixes:
Fixed blade infinite against Kuroki
Fixed the duration of the parried state to be similar to the deflected for the MC

Code:
-Crash fix when restarting the run after dying on top of blazing atrium
-Crash fix on destructibles physics
-Crash fix on attack position generation
-Crash fix on menu stack
-Fixed issue on death counter

Art:
-Fixed collision issues

Reddit is full of people moaning about nerfs to Sean/enemies because they beat it legit so everyone else should have to/they didn't get to beat it before it was nerfed so now it's completely worthless to do so/whatever.
The devs have spelt out their reasoning pretty clearly in the patch notes so I'm perfectly fine with both changes, it's not like there's no shortage of other difficult challenges in the game. Particularly happy that Sean won't keep getting into one-two-leap back-one-two-leap back loops because waiting him out if you didn't have the focus up to knock him out of it was tedious, not challenging.

Apparently the "fixed collision issue" fixed the pillars in Sean's room too (it was possible for both you or Sean to get stuck in one of the side pillars and be unable to escape - funny when it happened to Sean, not so much when it happened to you).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got my first clear, ending at 65!

Yang is tough as hell and I wish I'd spec'd structure damage on parry on my shrines more.
And also that I'd practiced parrying more.
And also that I was better at parrying.

Incredible game. Think I'm going to do some runs of Stacks and Club just to grab the remaining moves I haven't unlocked, try and round out my detective board, then when I've got everything else sorted it'll be time to go for the Spare Bosses ending.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got the Wude ending at 71. I got to the point of sparing Yang at younger ages twice and hosed them up by reflexively hitting execute, and on my final successful run I should have had him at 63 but he got knocked down by the hit that broke my guard, then got up and dashed out of range and the drat spare prompt timed out while I was frantically trying to get over there and spare him so I had to break his goddamn structure again.

This game has been an utterly delight and will almost certainly be on my GOTY list this year. Very excited to see what sort of post-launch support comes from it, they've mentioned the extra hard and easy modes coming in a future update but I'd love to see extra content like playable bosses!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

Ending chat...

I think Yang is using the magic for good. In some way, you're the bad guy of the story because it's implied your father was hoarding the magic when it could be used to save and help people.

there's also the detail that in the post credits scene, one of the gold circles is faded, implying it's been used to save someone at least once.

So The Alchemists argue that the Guardians were hoarding the talismans power and that they're using it to help people - that certainly seems to be true at a surface level but the Guardians believed that the powers of the talismans are inherently corrupting and each of the bosses clearly have some form of negative to go along with whatever good they do. Yang is a healer, but he was also driven to betrayal and murder - he mentions how many he's saved since murdering your father, but he also helped murder the other four Guardians at a minimum. Jinfeng runs multiple initiatives to help the underprivileged but has also accumulated significant wealth and power herself. Kuroki has become a master artist but is so self-absorbed that her art is all-consuming and all she's concerned with, Sean's teaching martial arts but with ruthless discipline in his underground fight club, and Fajar....uh, I'm not even remotely sure of positives here - Yang's treatment of him appears to have helped him find some form of inner peace, maybe? but also he's a botanist in a drug lab.

The quote about demonstrating wude in the kill ending mentions about breaking the fighting spirit of your enemies. You've demonstrated that against each boss and subsequently shattered their spirit. They're still alive, but you've destroyed the Alchemists as an organisation and won - my read is that Yang uses the talisman to bring you back. The magic imagery at the end is no different than any of the other magic realism bits all throughout the rest of the game (or you can just read them as straight magic and literally you are traversing these magic spaces, it doesn't matter).

It is funny to me though that in the process of carefully demonstrating my wude and sparing all four bosses I absolutely for sure killed dozens of random mooks that I impaled with swords and punted off of ledges into the abyss. No mercy unless you're a bad rear end enough martial artist, I guess. :v:

Edit: Fixed typos and a weird sentence that went nowhere, whoops.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 21, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I would actually argue that Jinfeng is the easiest boss in the game and is only more difficult than Fajar insofar as going through the two minibosses as you descend through the Tower to get to her is trickier than blowing through The Stacks' mostly basic enemies to get to him.

Personal boss difficulty tier:

Yang
Kuroki
Sean
Fajar
Jinfeng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'll see a post from Sifu socials every now and then and realize I still haven't played it. Whats the general review of the game now that its been out a while?

Phenomenal action game, cannot recommend it enough.