Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've just been loving around on the first couple levels so far. First level I've made it out of at 23 but I think I can do it with no deaths. The boss is pretty manageable, there's just a couple encounters I'm not quite consistent at yet.

The second level is much rougher. I regularly get pushed up into my 40s before I even hit the boss.

Game is super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dodging low attacks has been a real road-block for me. The animations are so fast that I don't know how you're supposed to know to prep a low-dodge rather than a standard one unless you've just done the fight enough times to know where the low attack is in the combo string.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

fnox posted:

The unblockable ones usually have a tell, either a big spin or are part of a chain. Regular ones you can just block or parry. They’re never doubled up so you just have to know the tell and then respond to it accordingly.

I feel like the game trains you weirdly on stuff like this. Like I almost never just normally block because structure deteriorates so quickly. So I have it in my head "ok, you need to at least try to avoid every attack".

But then the low attacks come and my instinct is still to just avoid like normal. The training the game gives you doesn't really encourage you to be reacting to the individual animations.

I'm mostly talking out my rear end and I'm sure my knowledge of the game will continue to grow, just where I'm at right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Anyone know if there is a way to swap the block direction input? Pressing block and up to go back feels incredibly unnatural to me and it keeps loving me up.

If I'm understanding you correctly, block and up isn't your input to go back. That's to dodge low attacks, it just happens that the character steps back during the animation. If you just want to back off you're better off hitting "rush" (RT) and back.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It is extremely satisfying running back through the levels, throwing bricks at the sub-bosses as they try to deliver their opening quips.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The hallway portion in the Museum where you end right on the RAGE visual is so visually enthralling.

I really love this game a lot. It doesn't feel like quite anything I've played before. Closest comparison is probably Sekiro but the experience feels like a confident off-shoot of that with its own personality and mechanics. Really got to give it to the devs for aiming for something new and cool and nailing it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Additional RIP to the "please don't hit me" guy just past the entrance.

Buddy, I will always come back to hit you.

If he has a voice-line I haven't heard it. I always sprint towards the counter and slide over to feed him some knuckle sandwiches.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

He has a voice line that adds to the detective board.

ugh FINE I guess I'll let him open his stupid blonde mouth.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

People are having difficulty with Artist fase 1? Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy. Her attacks cover so little distance that you can just hang back until she finishes any combo and then double tap forward + heavy strike to leap in and get a couple hits.

This to me seems like cheesing the fight instead of actually getting good at it but maybe its the intended strategy, who can say.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there some trick to targeting a particular enemy? Mostly I attack the one closest but sometimes (particularly with sweeps) I end up swiping air bc she decided to target a different enemy who isn't close.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just beat the artist at 20 hoo that felt loving GOOD! Felt like I had her totally dialed in.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I stopped playing for a second during the Yang fight and realized he'll just stand there and let you think lol. Dude is just that confident.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Also when I catch her kunais in the 2nd stage are they best kept to fight with or thrown right back in hopes of breaking her guard?

TIL you can catch her kunai...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just found out you can trip an enemy by throwing them at a downed enemy. This game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Trying to get the high score shrine on Museum and man this is not an easy level to do perfectly.

In particular the room with the two fat men on the 3rd floor, and the double kickboxer fight in the rain area. That rain one in particular suuuuucks, as soon as you start throwing punches at one of them the other one will sprint up and start attacking. And since they're constantly switching from sweeps to normals its just a lot to process.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just got the true ending. The process of getting it was fun and thematically cool but the actual ending left something to be desired imo.

I was hoping for some more wrap-up about Yang and his story. Instead it's just a lesson about letting go which fits with the game but is still a bit underwhelming.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

So The Alchemists argue that the Guardians were hoarding the talismans power and that they're using it to help people - that certainly seems to be true at a surface level but the Guardians believed that the powers of the talismans are inherently corrupting and each of the bosses clearly have. Yang is a healer, but he was also driven to betrayal and murder - he mentions how many he's saved since murdering your father, but he also helped murder the other four Guardians at a minimum. Jinfeng runs multiple initiatives to help the underprivileged but has also accumulated significant wealth and power herself. Kuroki has become a master artist but is so self-absorbed that her art is all-consuming and all she's concerned with, Sean's teaching martial arts but with ruthless discipline in his underground fight club, and Fajar....uh, I'm not even remotely sure of positives here - Yang's treatment of him appears to have helped him find some form of inner peace, maybe? but also he's a botanist in a drug lab.

The quote about demonstrating wude in the kill ending mentions about breaking the fighting spirit of your enemies. You've demonstrated that against each boss and subsequently shattered their spirit. They're still alive, but you've destroyed the Alchemists as an organisation and won - my read is that Yang uses the talisman to bring you back. The magic imagery at the end is no different than any of the other magic realism bits all throughout the rest of the game (or you can just read them as straight magic and literally you are traversing these magic spaces, it doesn't matter).

It is funny to me though that in the process of carefully demonstrating my wude and sparing all four bosses I absolutely for sure killed dozens of random mooks that I impaled with swords and punted off of ledges into the abyss. No mercy unless you're a bad rear end enough martial artist, I guess. :v

A good and thoughtful read on it and I totally agree with your closing thought lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought I was going to give up on this game but I can't really stop playing this, so I'm actually on the way to bring it down to 25. I got the artist down to age 21, and then got the old lady down to 25. I never really learned the old lady because you can just eat a bunch of deaths usually because her health is so low, but sub 25 and the platinum is finally within reach.

The CEO is just barely tougher than Sean. She's annoying at first because she has so much range but her move-set is really small. Once you start to recognize the timing she's a push-over because, like you said, she's quite squishy compared to the other bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

This game feels so loving good when all the stuff you've been slowly mastering over the course of the first playthrough all suddenly clicks into place around the same time.

Then you get to go back and effortlessly beat on people who started out as major roadblocks.

The difference between something like this and the DMC games is that mastery point actually feels very attainable here.

Actually it's kinda like Sekiro if I had to compare it to an action game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 12, 2023