Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I love how Academy always bequeaths all these technical nominations (and wins) on one serious special effects movie a year but then leaves it out of the prestige categories. And would Jurassic Park still win best special effects in 2022 or would it be passed over cause it's too blockbuster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Censor was clearly the best film of 2021 anyway

Ding ding ding.

If we're talking about snubs, The Alpinist is at the top of the list.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lid posted:

It's a combination as PTA has also been snubbed for a long time, Kenneth has the "seven categories no wins" thing in a passion project, Hamaguchi is the dark horse but they may want to continue their position of showing progressiveness in appreciating foreign film direction, and then they may get bored and give another one to Spielberg before he dies.

Spielberg has that movie about his parents coming up so there's another shot

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pospysyl posted:

When I first saw Power Pup on theaters I didn't think much of it but when I saw it on Netflix with my parents I could appreciate Cumberbatch's performance much better. It's a much more complicated role than it seems on first blush, but really one complex character a great movie does not make. I wouldn't object to it winning, but it's far from my favorite movie of the year.

Cumberbatch felt like he was in a different movie, like if someone dropped Daniel Plainview into The Assassination of Jesse James.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wasn't really clear on what we were supposed to take away from Power of the Dog. Cumberbatch was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone he met except his brother, who hated him, but then we find out that he has a vaguely sad backstory. And then he's murdered by someone who comes off as a psycho. That's sad? Good?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I was surprised how silly CODA was at times. It really follows the Little Miss Sunshine Sundance formula.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For all the talk about what The Batman could have cut to get the runtime down, Drive My Car didn't need a full hour of play rehearsals.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

On the contrary, Drive My Car would have been a much better movie if it was just play rehearsals. Easily the best moments of the film.

I strongly disagree. The first 45 minutes are really phenomenal and make the entire movie. The actress who played his wife should be the frontrunner for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. The movie suffers once she's no longer on camera.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

There is no movie without the play rehearsals

The driver's not even in those scenes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Then whose driving the car?

Nobody. She's sitting in the lobby. Wait, is that a spoiler?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The relationship with the driver is just as important as him purging his trauma with the play. It felt like we spent an actual hour building up to his conversation in the car with the actor and it didn't have to take an entire hour.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

As you acknowledge, both parts are equally important and are crucial to the movie working.

I'm not saying take all the rehearsal scenes out, just be more economical about it. At a certain point, it felt like putting superlong quotes in an essay to reach a word count.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
My big takeaway from The Lost Daughter is that Maggie Gyllenhaal really doesn't like Greek people.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

Let’s be fair…who hasn’t wanted to slap Chris Rock at one time or another? I’m surprised it wasn’t Ricky Gervais. But at least Gary Shandling tore Ricky apart in the best way and beat him at his own game.

Ricky Gervais seems like he'd actually press charges.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Encanto had its moments, “we don’t talk about Bruno” being the one that sticks out for me. But Luca had a more endearing look and the characters were *a lot* more likeable and fun. It had a better sense of adventure than Encanto did for me, which was just kind of farting around in a house.

You’re probably right about Moana being their best in a while.

Luca does a better job of earning it's emotional payoff as well. Grandpa getting macheted to death during a song does all the heavy lifting in Encanto.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

They artistically cut away.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Will Smith is such a shameless self-promoter so this was probably all set up, with Chris Rock in on it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The slap itself I understand, like in a vacuum I get that sometimes you have to slap somebody.

The part I'm having a hard time with is how meticulous and calculated Will Smith has been for 25+ years in building himself and his career up to that moment, and then to do that when you're on the doorstep of the crowning achievement you've worked so hard for. It's just bizarre that it happened on that night, at that moment.

It's almost like he did it on purpose. How long till he puts out a response on his YouTube channel that gets millions of views? Probably not very.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Karloff posted:

'Checking' people in order to get people to stop insulting you or your loved ones isn't really a thing in the UK. People don't go around slapping each other in order to enforce good behaviour, and if they do they are very likely to get their head kicked in. But then again health care is free should that happen.

There was the happy slapping moral panic but that was a whole other thing.

This makes me think of a Doug Stanhope bit about how England is more dangerous and everyone's always fighting cause no one has guns and healthcare is free.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People sure do love Will Smith. Or slapping people.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darko posted:

If you haven't seen some guy chirping off at someone and get slapped or the equivalent (aka any embarrassing thing that wouldnt actual physically harm him) and didn't silently cheer, you havent really lived.

I think there's a different between a belligerent rear end in a top hat at a football game and Chris Rock's lame joke. Besides people with a parasocial relationship with Will and Jada, who felt catharsis?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

It's hardly necessary to have a parasocial relationship with the Smiths to feel some kind of catharsis. We do it with fictional characters we're just introduced to all the time, just as long as the proper signifiers are present.

So it's about Rock? Or standup comedians?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Darko posted:

Wouldnt it be about any person talking poo poo about someone else feeling they won't get any repercussions for it? I dunno why it would be limited that small. I think everyone has seen someone that talks major poo poo doing so where they think its a "safe space" for them, so that's where the catharsis would come from.

So much of comedy is built around making fun of people that this argument comes off pretty weak. No one cheering on Will Smith here has laughed at someone else before?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the idea that the Oscar nominations are particularly predictable is overblown and regardless of quality the last thirty years of winners are more diverse than you’d think. Like regardless of what you think of CODA, it’s not even an Oscar bait movie and I don’t think anyone thought it would win anything. And like what other film even meets the idea of being predictable Oscar bait besides maybe Belfast and King Richard?

CODA is absolutely Sundance Oscar bait. It hits all the inspirational notes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

CODA hits all the notes of Captain Fantastic from a few years ago and is nominated just the same. The difference is actually winning, which you never expect from a Sundance film.

I'd also throw out Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. In the first five minutes, the parents fart, pick her up listening to very loud hip hop and have very loud sex. It's all very quirky

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Cacator posted:

If this was true then Sound of Metal would've won <:mad:>

Just because a movie is Oscar Bait doesn't mean it's going to win, or even get nominated.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

There's lots of different kinds of oscar bait. Historical figure bait, hollywood self-masturbation bait, inspiring story of disability or recovery bait, quirky indie family story bait, fighting oppression bait. The game played by oscars forecasters is figuring out which of those the academy is likely to feel like rewarding this year.

Most bait-y oscar winners (excluding Coda) lately are probably Green Book (historical figure, oppression, "family" story) and the King's Speech (historical figure, disability).

You can never go wrong with movies about showbusiness. Worked for Kidman, Bardem and Simmons.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Malcolm X jumps to mind.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One interesting thing about Oscar Bait movies is that David Fincher has said that they're the only thing besides blockbuster movies that studios will greenlight anymore. So it's a pejorative term but it's also the way the game is played.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

People come at the marvel movies because they're terrible, which they are. And are then countered by a "just don't watch them" but the drat things are sucking up all the oxygen in Hollywood. Promising directors are getting sucked up into making lovely hero movies, or live action Disney copyright holders instead of being allowed to make anything they'd like. Streaming is the only ones with money taking risks. But God only knows for how long.

I don't agree. I think there are two types of directors who get in bed with the big franchises: savvy ones who use the clout they build up to make more interesting movies/shows elsewhere, like Waititi and Lowery, and craven sellouts, like Treverrow. The cream rises to the top, basically.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wittgen posted:

The problem is not with marvel movies. The problem is not even with superhero movies sucking up the oxygen. The problem is there is not enough oxygen to begin with. Studios are being allowed to become increasingly monopolistic. Both mergers and the weakening of theaters work against seeing a lot of different types of movies. Why take risks when there is so little competition? Better to go with whatever is working. Why make stuff that fosters a theater going audience if your margins are better on your studios gated streaming service?

The movie industry isn't bleak because a type of blockbuster you don't like is the taste du jour. The movie industry is bleak because of capitalism.

I saw Licorice Pizza at a megaplex at 4 in the afternoon and my ticket cost $5. And The Batman cost $12 at 11 in the morning.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What's the more dangerous version of Brokeback Mountain?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Obviously not everyone can get 70 million to make whatever, but what if more films did? Imagine if Upgrade had a 70 million budget instead of Venom? (I like venom for the record but upgrade is like an all timer)

If it's an all-timer at $5M or whatever, what does it need more money for?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean CODA is an indie movie and it’s biggest star is Matlin and just won best picture.

Its biggest star is Derbez.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There has to be a hidden hand that makes these decisions, right? Someone somewhere decides that CODA or Nomadland are going to be "the" indie movies of their years and put some weight behind them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

Yes and his name is Sundance Filmfestival

Sundance is usually a guaranteed nomination, just like Toronto, but Nomadland didn't premiere till Venice.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

It also doesn't explain return of the king, what's your point?

How does it happen that a movie like CODA rises to the top but a movie like Pig doesn't? Is it random or is someone putting their finger on the scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Even if Matlin and the kid from Sing Street aren’t massive stars it’s still a far cry from Smith filming a bunch of his literally untrained buddies. It’s hard to imagine something as completely raw as Clerks getting any traction nowadays.

Tangerine? It didn't blow up like Clerks but it got press and launched Baker's career.