Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Karloff posted:

'Checking' people in order to get people to stop insulting you or your loved ones isn't really a thing in the UK. People don't go around slapping each other in order to enforce good behaviour, and if they do they are very likely to get their head kicked in. But then again health care is free should that happen.

There was the happy slapping moral panic but that was a whole other thing.

and that's why you still have royalty and Keir Starmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Drunkboxer posted:

That’s the way it is in West Philly. You slap a guy and start crying, then you give a sobbing speech about how Shakespeare would have done the same thing or something

Shakespeare would have insulted you with hilariously profane puns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darko posted:

If I clapped for him in that moment, I would be saying I understand it was a human moment and that I get that and we will get past it. I honestly don't see what half of people are reading into it, but then there are Amy Schumers saying they are traumatized so I don't k ow wrf.

The comparison to the people going on about how Bernie Sanders reminds them of their lovely ex is spot on, it's all people who've never had real problems in their lives

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much everything about the Oscars is openly known to be laser-focused to making a particular strain of rich assholes feel good about themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zogo posted:

Of the best picture winners Gandhi comes to mind.

I was trying to think of the least Oscar baited movies that won. Maybe Midnight Cowboy or Cimarron or All the King's Men.

Return of the King? Especially ironic given the LotR movies are basically the template for the blockbuster franchise tentpoles that would go on to dominate 21st century cinema thus far. (to be fair, Star Wars already set the model)

The 2004 Oscars are the only ones I've actually seen, I think. Feels like they had a lot more fun with it back then.