Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm glad Hans Zimmer finally got another Oscar out of the 20 he deserved just because they ignore genre pics for score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone who doesn't have on her majesty's secret service on the list can't be trusted

The editing is baaaaaadddddddddd. I love so many parts of the movie but good lord. They fail lefts to rights.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cacator posted:

Soderbergh wrote an essay on how much he loved the editing lol

I'm flabbergasted because I love his editing haha. Just look at the bobsled scene and try to figure out the action in it haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Benne posted:

loving dying that the "fan favorite" votes were created specifically for Spider-Man and it's not winning any of them

This is the funniest thing in the world.

Nostalgia hit me when I saw it in theaters, I watched it again and just skipped much of it. I just can't take the formula anymore and people are catching on, I think.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This song was kind of weak but it was woven in the movie well. I kind of want it to win so Zimmer can double up tonight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Big W for snyder heads. We did it yall

2 time Oscar winner Zack Snyder!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edit agreed Last Duel was so good.

Wolfsheim posted:

all bond songs sound mostly the same and just make me wish the fake quantum of solace song was real

Ehhhhh....if you go For Your Eyes Only to Live and Let Die to If You Ask Me To to a View To A Kill, they are ridiculously different. The Craig movies keep following the same key progression though which is weird.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hulu cut it so I think it wasn't staged.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is incredible

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mcmagic posted:

King Richard sucked lol

It was a perfectly fine normal biopic and Will did a great job.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Seth McFarlane had the punchiest face in Hollywood so I’m kind of surprised fists aren’t flying at him every time he shows up somewhere.

He spent half his time calling out Weinstein so he gets a pass.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

:lol: like Chris Rock isn't going to spin gold out of getting punched by Will Smith as part of his act.

He has a comedy tour this year so he's in a perfect situation

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Slapping the guy who made a joke about his wife but not the guy who hosed his wife.

Awesome.

Im pretty much 90% sure they had an open relationship like practically everyone in Hollywood that just got publicized. No reason to be mad about something you agreed to happen?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I do find it pretty funny that the Disney award got hijacked here. Disney are not the good guys in this situation and seeing their guaranteed Spider-man awards get taken away is pretty funny.

Darko fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 28, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ok white people are never going to understand why the will smith slap was legendary.

Man shut the gently caress up Lmao

If a dude that pressed charges for any *equal* slapping him (its different when it's like a boss or someone with a power dynamic over you where you cant really respond in any way), he's going to get laughed out of pretty much everywhere he ever goes from that point on. A man to man slap is pretty much the biggest insult you can give and isn't the same as a punch, which some people are making out to be.

Yeah technically technically assault, but I would never in a billion years even think to press charges or whatever if a peer open handed slapped me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

The slap itself was a thing of beauty. However the assumption that violence is "just black culture" is deeply racist.

Will Smith is a black Gen Xer from Philadelphia - a slap as just being the purest form of insult/disrespect and not really seen as "assault" was definitely ingrained in me as a black Gen Xer from Detroit. I think that's what the poster is kind of referencing. It might have changed in later generations, which I can't speak too - but that's how it was shown to at least my circles growing up.

ie, and relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2P32-Urxo&t=101s

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

In this incident Will Smith is a rich person in an event designed for rich people to congratulate one another, slapping another rich person. Also there are no repercussions, because he's rich

Most men don't get repercussions for slapping another man except maybe being punched back, unless they do it at work or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Moana made Encanto a huge let down for me. Probably Lin Manuel's best music, fun arcs, etc. I thought Encanto was extremely flat. Part of it too, is the theme - I don't really resonate much with "i don't stand out enough in my family" and the last couple of Disney/Pixar movies were about that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's what he gets for taunting in the middle of a match.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm willing to eat poo poo on this comment because I'm white AF, but it was also kind of bizarre to make a jab about a Black lady with a shaved head because that's not that unusual. Not that it would be okay if she was a different race, but I didn't know about Jada's condition, and she didn't look out of the ordinary to me. I have friends and coworkers who have chosen to go pretty close to shaved. I feel like with the context after the fact it felt kinda hard to not to feel like he knew about the condition was being actively lovely.

But then again, the whole, "Javier you're gonna sleep on the couch if you win and Penelope doesn't! WOKA WOKA" bit points to Rock just kinda being a hack these days.

Black women have a lot of hair issues because they grew up having to burn their hair to hell just to fit in to society because society says black hair is wrong. A lot of black women completely ruin their hair by old age and start losing it for this reason. Don't make fun of a black woman's hair for that reason (and Chris Rock made a documentary about this very subject!)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

People sure do love Will Smith. Or slapping people.

If you haven't seen some guy chirping off at someone and get slapped or the equivalent (aka any embarrassing thing that wouldnt actual physically harm him) and didn't silently cheer, you havent really lived.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I just don't really care what happens to people with an 8+ figure net worth. You can dry your tears with fistfuls of hundred dollar bills. Having someone hit you or make fun of you on TV instead going to destroy your life if you're rich. And none of this has any bearing on cancel culture or the war in Ukraine or whatever you can't shut up about today.

Nobody should care is the issue outside of the moment. People with 8+ figures are still...people and they have human moments and thats what happened. Have a wow reaction, do your memes when it happens, and then move on. Issue is, in this age, people make money from outrage and hot takes on things and so EVERYONE (including news sources because of the click revenue) is latching on to have their big take on it to try to get the money from it being a hot thing. It's still dominating all of my social media feeds for that reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

I think there's a different between a belligerent rear end in a top hat at a football game and Chris Rock's lame joke. Besides people with a parasocial relationship with Will and Jada, who felt catharsis?

I was commenting on the second part of what you said. There's been a large social argument between the sheltered and the not sheltered around the whole social concept of male on male slapping for two days because of this. My response was that a good portion of people turn a blind eye to slapping and might like but not condone some instances of it because of what it means socially.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

So it's about Rock? Or standup comedians?

Wouldnt it be about any person talking poo poo about someone else feeling they won't get any repercussions for it? I dunno why it would be limited that small. I think everyone has seen someone that talks major poo poo doing so where they think its a "safe space" for them, so that's where the catharsis would come from.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

drat, teenvogue is lit.

Teen Vogue has the best editorials for some reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BonoMan posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bruce-willis-aphasia-acting-career-stepping-away/

But also I feel like Carrey was pretty right. It came from some unwell place in Will's head. He's battling a lot of poo poo. And the ovation from the crowd was indeed pretty gross. I think it's just an extension of how much Carrey hates the Hollywood machine.

If I clapped for him in that moment, I would be saying I understand it was a human moment and that I get that and we will get past it. I honestly don't see what half of people are reading into it, but then there are Amy Schumers saying they are traumatized so I don't know wtf.

Darko fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Oscar bait doesn't mean bad. It just means the movie coincides with the kinds of politics and sentiment that Oscar voters tend to like.

The problems with the movie industry becoming more monopolistic and more divorced from theaters don't stop existing because good movies are being made. The complaint is not that there aren't any good movies. There are a lot of good movies. Quite a few got nominated for Oscars this year.

The concern is that Hollywood is making fewer movies, and they're making a less diverse slate of movies. These trends are not some matter of opinion either. The number of movies in production goes down after every merger.

And the mid budget movie made for adults is an endangered species. You can see the effects of this in how promising young directors who make some breakout low budget indie thing get put in charge of a superhero tent pole rather than some 20-30 million dollar original.

Great stuff continues to be made, but the industry is top heavy and there are causes for concern. The ecosystem is not that healthy.

Also that the tentpoles are ALL comic book movies or mayyyybe Jurassic Park 82 instead of the next Jaws or Star Wars or Matrix from original directors. Every "big" movie being a shared universe comic thing except for the random DC film that is a comic film not in a shared universe is annoying.