Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Never seen it before so we decided to toss it on and holy poo poo this movie is rear end, never knew. Its got like a 66 or so on rotten tomatoes but thats about twice as high as it should be, goddamn, it hasnt got a single redeeming quality

I knew I was going to hate this poo poo as soon as the family has what looks like a normal break in and instead of calling the cops just checked the genre of movie and decided 'its ghosts' without anything spooky even happening yet. Its like 46 mins before anything that doesnt seem like just human crime happens.

Not done watching it tho, starting to make myself see it as a parody of horror movies and its a little better, its actually bringing some decent laughs

e. The writing is so fuckin bad lmfao, characters will ask questions and the other character will just make a speech that has nothing to do with what they were asked.

Im honestly astonished at how bad the writing, story, cinematography, music, acting, and all of the above are. The whole movie is either in a weird almost-grayscale or almost-sepia

e2. A lady just put on a gas mask and huffed a guy's ears. Man just saw video evidence of an actual demon in the room with him and his reaction was an 'oh my god' in the tone you use when you're tired of listening to your friend tell a story about their job and just want it to be over

e3. Lol I think they're doing that scene from constantine now except without keanu reeves so its not cool

e4. These characters have a 30 second attention span/memory I swear, holy poo poo. Also this movie really really thinks it can just show you anything and make a loud DWANG sound and it counts as scary even when its the goofiest disney's haunted mansion poo poo you've ever seen

e5. I cant believe this isnt supposed to be a parody, its actively making me laugh. The dad character is navigating a horror video game level and trying to interact with the NPCs. They keep trying to use the 'tip toe through the tulips' song as a scary thing and goosebumps-rear end fisheye lenses and I am actively laughing my rear end off

e6. So the dad astral projects to rescue the kid from The Furthur™ and on the way back just fuckin ditches the kid at the last moment to get distracted by some poo poo and the kid's astral form gets attacked by a demon. Holy poo poo, these characters genuinely have the attention spans of gold fish.

The ending was so loving bad lmao. Anyway its time to watch the second one at 4am because I have nothing better to do

I know 'ooh wow no way its bad what a surprise' sarcastic reactions are great and all but I've watched a lot of fairly low budget horror movies and this one was genuinely worse than most and certainly horrible for a movie i've heard as much about. Also my roomate said this movie was 'too scary' for him to watch and went to bed so I had a molecule of expectation it wouldnt be a glorified goosebumps episode.

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's ok.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

:wrong:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like a lot of horror films but that style has never appealed to me and I haven't watched Insidious. I'll take your post as an endorsement of continuing my abstention.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Marmaduke! posted:

I like a lot of horror films but that style has never appealed to me and I haven't watched Insidious. I'll take your post as an endorsement of continuing my abstention.

It's not really a horror movie. It's shot like one, and the plot is about ghosts, but I don't think you're ever supposed to feel scared.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

A mass market movie that was made on a comparatively low budget of 1.5 million that was funded by the same guy who funded the paranormal activity movies and also the purge movies and managed to make almost 100 million is a bad movie ??????????

you don’t loving say op. its almost like the mass media is creatively bankrupt. it’s almost like rich people will throw millions at some derivative bullshit with the expectation that it will make them tens of millions in return. It’s almost like… media is bad ???

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

That can’t be. Media can’t be bad. I’m a ten year old playing Superman 64 and I don’t understand it. Video games are fun, and this video game should be fun, but I’m not having fun. Clearly I don’t understand the game. Clearly the problem is with me. Clearly if I were better at the n64 I would be having fun playing Superman 64

Mass media is good. Mass media can’t be bad, mass media is only ever misunderstood and failed by the consumer

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thank you! I felt like this for a long time but I've just been too afraid to speak out. It's not that scary and another thing about that's bad is that is stupid.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Such a salacious review I do declare

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Where exactly does a red-faced demon buy all its grandma doilies and a 78 rpm copy of “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” in The Further? Bed, Bath, and Beyond the Astral Plane?

:rimshot:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ziv Zulander posted:

A mass market movie that was made on a comparatively low budget of 1.5 million that was funded by the same guy who funded the paranormal activity movies and also the purge movies and managed to make almost 100 million is a bad movie ??????????

you don’t loving say op. its almost like the mass media is creatively bankrupt. it’s almost like rich people will throw millions at some derivative bullshit with the expectation that it will make them tens of millions in return. It’s almost like… media is bad ???

Yeah this. I remember seeing it around when it came out and while jt was a bad movie, I did note it was better than other horror movies I had seen. If you want to see something good stop watching horror op

Edit except the Japanese movie House with the evil cat luring the teens to the murder house. That movie ruled

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Is that the one with the Darth Maul ghost or the one with the paranormal investigator couple?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The special effects were good though. I really thought that the demon's face was red until I watched the director's commentary where he said that they used red paint to make it look red on film.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Chrs posted:

Is that the one with the Darth Maul ghost or the one with the paranormal investigator couple?

Darth Maul

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
All of those ghost films are absolute trash. If you make a low budget horror movie just stock up on ketchup and make it a slasher about bigfoot or astronauts

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The first half of the movie is some of the best horror I've ever seen

The second half is dogshit

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

This is the film where the tenacious d devil is the bad guy right?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

this is basically how I feel about Hereditary

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

and make it a slasher about bigfoot or astronauts

If you're going to go all out, go all out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

dr_rat posted:

If you're going to go all out, go all out.

So get this, earth's surface is all hosed and the remaining humanity ekes out an existence in synthetic space habitats in Lagrange points. But bigfoot got on... And the maulings begin.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Cost of filming: however much you'd pay to squat in a dilapidated office building, a gorilla suit, and a 2003 laptop to add space in every window. Also a lot of expired ketchup.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

Cost of filming: however much you'd pay to squat in a dilapidated office building, a gorilla suit, and a 2003 laptop to add space in every window. Also a lot of expired ketchup.

I have three out of four of those things! May have to wait for the local economy to collapse a bit more for the fourth... so everyone good to start filming in three weeks?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's always demons. You try to watch a movie about ghosts, but nope, it's from America and the scariest thing they know is a big dumb idiot demon out of hell

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mooey Cow posted:

It's always demons. You try to watch a movie about ghosts, but nope, it's from America and the scariest thing they know is a big dumb idiot demon out of hell

Sometimes it was all a dream. The most cursed horror films of all!

naem
May 29, 2011

people in horror movies sure do have nice big houses

like, when the house is so big that 2/3rds of it is empty at any given time then sure it’s going to have a spooky feel

and when the plot involves an entire section of the house that no one knows about it’s like, yeah, must be hard to have an extra whole house in your house

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Movie owns

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I 100% agree and it's so baffling that I've had to show it to others so they can share in on my confusion. I've never seen anything quite like it. Suddenly the mood, the direction, the acting gets BAD and... You-? You were just doing all those things well, movie?! What?!

It makes my brain stutter. I've never even found a decent explanation as to why. It's just so goddamn bizarre!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

I 100% agree and it's so baffling that I've had to show it to others so they can share in on my confusion. I've never seen anything quite like it. Suddenly the mood, the direction, the acting gets BAD and... You-? You were just doing all those things well, movie?! What?!

It makes my brain stutter. I've never even found a decent explanation as to why. It's just so goddamn bizarre!

It's because the movie is a direct homage to films like The Entity that have the same exact sort of tonal whiplash for better or for good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's because the movie is a direct homage to films like The Entity that have the same exact sort of tonal whiplash for better or for good.

I only saw The Entity once and I don't remember thinking any of it was good. Mostly the remember ghost rape, as you do.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It was a big thing for ghost movies back then to have the spooky af poo poo going on at first then have the paranormal investigators come in and explain everything/lighten the tone. Blame Poltergeist.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There you go! It came across like trying to stitch Poltergeist onto The Exorcist halfway through. Both films follow the same general beats but loving hell, are they tonally miles apart.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I gasped at the scene where the seance ends and you think it's safe after all the tension, only for the woman to slightly move her head revealing the demon behind her. It was a really well done scare and the main thing I remember from the movie. The rest of it was pretty bad though, yeah.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

You're gonna love malignant

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

First half of the movie is indeed really good. Then they enter a realm of people from the Black Hole Sun video and I’m like :wtf:

Is this the movie where someone peeks inside a room from the doorway and sees Buster Brown popping and locking? Because that was both brilliantly done and incredibly stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I saw this in theatres, and only remember the demon in the dining room, and Lin Shaye going all out with the gas mask for... reasons?

Anyway, at no point did I think it was great or terrible. It is a movie.

So while opinions are whatever, I'm genuinely curious as to why the first half rated so high for you, because I remember nothing really notable.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I saw this in theatres, and only remember the demon in the dining room, and Lin Shaye going all out with the gas mask for... reasons?

Anyway, at no point did I think it was great or terrible. It is a movie.

So while opinions are whatever, I'm genuinely curious as to why the first half rated so high for you, because I remember nothing really notable.

For me, it was because I didn't know where the jumpscares would come from and it played on that. It wasn't at all apparent where the next scare was and the pacing went from SUPERFAST to very quiet and slow superbly. When the family walks into the house, you see the demon in a corner, out of the corner of your eye. When the baby's crying, I did not expect the demon be outside, or actually even one to be there. The scene in the dining room especially got me. I was literally looking all around in every scene, seeing if something was there and was about to pop out.

It takes a lot for me to be impressed or scared by horror movies because I can usually predict what happens. Oh gee, don't go down that hallway. Oh no, what's behind that door. :nallears: The horror movies I remember are ones where I cannot predict what's going to happen next, which is why I really, really enjoyed the first half of it and wish to God they had kept that up because it would have been entirely memorable, rather than just "meh" at the end.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The movie drew a lot of it's horror from jump scares, which I hate. Sure they scared be but that's because it's startling. And they have a big *HUGE NOISE* when they do it. I think that's a cheap way to do horror. I like a slow burn like The Exorcist which is my favorite horror movie of all time.

I didn't hate Insidious though despite it's massive flaws and "wtf is this gas mask poo poo" type scenes. I agree the first half was better.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i got this confused with the movie sinister

sinister sucked too

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

What's actually a good horror movie

Edit: yes, I've tried turning off my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I slept on it and I think I might have been a bit too hasty last night. Honestly painting someone's face red isn't that impressive.