Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The first half of the movie is some of the best horror I've ever seen

The second half is dogshit

That's accurate. They show way too much and it's too stylish to be scary. They never should have shown the demon. Or his room. Or the MTV produced trip through the otherworld. They had something great going and they blew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I apologize to the op, on behalf of the movie Insidious, for the lack of hungry bellybuttons.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Now, The Bye Bye Man. There is motion picture worth watching.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

bossy lady posted:

What's actually a good horror movie

Edit: yes, I've tried turning off my monitor.

cliched answer maybe, but i cant think of a single thing wrong with The Shining

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

bossy lady posted:

Anything that plays "U.S. news and current events."
:imunfunny:

Movie-wise, "The Thing '82."

I know, I know. " It's Sci-fi or Suspense!" Whatever, gently caress you it's horror.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Now, The Bye Bye Man. There is motion picture worth watching.

Why would anyone be scared of a killer that's always going away?

"oh no he's coming right for us, oh he was just came over to say good bye, he's leaving now. What a nice person."

Lame.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

bossy lady posted:

Pontypool and Lake Mungo are my two favorites from the 2000s. Go in blind. Lake Mungo is very sad and emotionally affecting, Pontypool is darkly funny and very clever. Pontypool is eternally tangled up in rights issues so you might have to torrent that one unless something has changed recently

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That's too bad. You'd expect from the title that it's terribleness would be more subtle.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Pontypool and Lake Mungo are my two favorites from the 2000s. Go in blind. Lake Mungo is very sad and emotionally affecting, Pontypool is darkly funny and very clever. Pontypool is eternally tangled up in rights issues so you might have to torrent that one unless something has changed recently

Both of these are excellent choices

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

You Are A Elf posted:

people from the Black Hole Sun video and I’m like :wtf:

I nearly cried laughing at this part

The victorian child ghost jamming the gently caress out to 'tiptoe through the tulips' was one of the least scary, and most hilarious things i've seen and it was around that time when I was trying to figure out if this movie was even trying to be a horror movie or if i'd stumbled on a weirdly subtle parody film. Like I think all they'd really need to do to convert this into part of the Scary Movie franchise is just add some dick jokes and racism.

The first half was definitely better than the back half, but I still thought the first had major issues. Mostly that nothing supernatural happens. Sure we the audience know, and somehow the people in the movie know that they're in a supernatural film, but if you just look at the events from their perspective nothing supernatural happens.

They wake up to their house alarm going off, the dad runs down stairs and finds the front door open, and instead of immediately calling the cops he just turns off the alarm. Then his wife starts yelling that theres a guy in their house so he runs upstairs and finds her hysterical in a room with a window open that shes pointing at saying a guy was there. He still doesnt call the cops. Then the alarm goes off again and he goes back down stairs with a weapon, clearly thinking maybe theres a GUY there, but just turns off the alarm (and finally shuts the door) and then eventually just goes to bed. Without calling the cops. Nothing that happened there suggests anything but "guy broke into house". Then the characters are just like "wow that was so spooky we have to move" like, how exactly did you come to that conclusion?

The second movie was a lot better in every single way, not great I'd say but the jump in quality even of writing/directing was immense. Interesting use of time travel also.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Seth Pecksniff posted:

For me, it was because I didn't know where the jumpscares would come from and it played on that. It wasn't at all apparent where the next scare was and the pacing went from SUPERFAST to very quiet and slow superbly. When the family walks into the house, you see the demon in a corner, out of the corner of your eye. When the baby's crying, I did not expect the demon be outside, or actually even one to be there. The scene in the dining room especially got me. I was literally looking all around in every scene, seeing if something was there and was about to pop out.

It takes a lot for me to be impressed or scared by horror movies because I can usually predict what happens. Oh gee, don't go down that hallway. Oh no, what's behind that door. :nallears: The horror movies I remember are ones where I cannot predict what's going to happen next, which is why I really, really enjoyed the first half of it and wish to God they had kept that up because it would have been entirely memorable, rather than just "meh" at the end.

this guy gets it OP

if you watch a lot of horror you get to know the "creepy noise" -> "character investigates" -> "there's nothing there/its just a cat" -> "OH NO THE GHOST/MONSTER IS HERE NOW JUMPSCARE" -> "something else interrupts/cuts the tension and
ghost/monster is gone now" routine

the first half of insidious avoids many horror cliches and presents some clever and original scares, which i appreciated in much the same way as the quoted poster

then the second half goes off the rails and we get terrible CGI combined with questionable creative decisions like tiny tim apparently being the demon's favorite musician

i did like the twist at the very end though

Pitdragon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 11, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pitdragon posted:

this guy gets it OP

if you watch a lot of horror you get to know the "creepy noise" -> "character investigates" -> "there's nothing there/its just a cat" -> "OH NO THE GHOST/MONSTER IS HERE NOW JUMPSCARE" -> "something else interrupts/cuts the tension and
ghost/monster is gone now"

the first half of insidious avoids many horror cliches and presents some clever and original scares, which i appreciated in much the same way as the quoted poster

then the second half goes off the rails and we get terrible CGI combined with questionable creative decisions like tiny tim apparently being the demon's favorite musician

i did like the twist at the very end though

Naw I watch lots of horror movies including most of james wan's movies and it still was using loud noises to startle you instead of actually being scary. It showed the ghosts way too much and they were just like...a person.

Its not 12 years old but a show that actually was pretty creepy/scary was Midnight Mass, the scares usually werent accompanied by any kind of loud musical sting and a lot of the time they were sort of subtle but they were the kind of thing that scares you IRL so when you'd see a set of reflective eyes that were too high off the ground to be a cat, or a barely visible silhouette moving around in the darkness it was actually fuckin creepy as poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love to watch the part when they go into the demon realm but when it gets to that part I mute the movie and just turn on the 1998 album by Rob Zombie Hellbilly Deluxe

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Midnight Mass was one of the most incredible things I've ever watched and I encourage people to see it

naem
May 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Midnight Mass was one of the most incredible things I've ever watched and I encourage people to see it

agreed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In terms of recommendations, I'd like to put forward "It Follows".

That grandma walking towards the school, or fuckin' Lurch showing up out of nowhere are images I won't be getting out of my head any time soon.

If you haven't seen it, that last sentence sounds like I've had a stroke, but I swear it's relevant.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In terms of recommendations, I'd like to put forward "It Follows".

agreed

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Junk posted:

El Diablo Bob O posted:

Anything that plays "U.S. news and current events."
:imunfunny:

Movie-wise, "The Thing '82."

I know, I know. " It's Sci-fi or Suspense!" Whatever, gently caress you it's horror.

I don't mean to discount these recommendations because they're all great but I've seen all of these movies :smith: . I love horror and lately I feel like I've been scraping of the bottom of the barrel watching horror movies on amazon prime that were filmed on an ipad in 3 days.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I agree I used to watch a lot of indie horror but I feel like it fell off a lot in the past four or five years

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
indies nutz

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bossy lady posted:

I don't mean to discount these recommendations because they're all great but I've seen all of these movies :smith: . I love horror and lately I feel like I've been scraping of the bottom of the barrel watching horror movies on amazon prime that were filmed on an ipad in 3 days.

Do you like a little comedy with your horror? Do you like ‘80s practical effects? Might I recommend:

An American Werewolf in London
Return of the Living Dead
Motel Hell
Re-Animator
Night of the Creeps
From Beyond
Dolls
Dead Heat
Waxwork
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Blood Diner
Street Trash

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

You Are A Elf posted:

Do you like a little comedy with your horror? Do you like ‘80s practical effects? Might I recommend:

Re-Animator
From Beyond
Dead Heat

I can vouch for these and add a few, though they aren't that funny.

The Blob ('88)
Near Dark ('87)
Hellraiser 1
In The Mouth of Madness
Jacob's Ladder
Dog Soldiers
Candyman (Original)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bone Tomahawk
It Comes at Night (pertinent to current events)
Hardware
The Twilight Zone Movie (Most of)

Ok, one funny one; Dead Alive.

El Diablo Bob O fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 11, 2022

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mozi posted:

indies nutz

this is such a rude thing to say to someone who is just talking about the movies. I hope you feel good about yourself because you just ruined my month

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

You Are A Elf posted:

Motel Hell
Re-Animator
Night of the Creeps
From Beyond
Dolls
Dead Heat
Waxwork
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Blood Diner
Street Trash

El Diablo Bob O posted:

I can vouch for these and add a few, though they aren't that funny.

The Blob ('88)
Near Dark ('87)
Hellraiser 1
In The Mouth of Madness
Jacob's Ladder
Dog Soldiers
Candyman (Original)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bone Tomahawk
It Comes at Night (pertinent to current events)
Hardware
The Twilight Zone Movie (Most of)

Ok, one funny one; Dead Alive.

Thank you both very much. I will look the ones I haven't seen up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

this is such a rude thing to say to someone who is just talking about the movies. I hope you feel good about yourself because you just ruined my month

the only thing that feels better is enjoying the newest mainstream hollywood blockbuster

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You seen The Innocents, Bossy Lady?
It's my favorite horror film and the Criterion version is up for free on YouTube.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Das Boo posted:

You seen The Innocents, Bossy Lady?
It's my favorite horror film and the Criterion version is up for free on YouTube.

I have not. On the queue it goes. Thank you!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Oh yeah I like The Ritual, The Hallow, and A Dark Song

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I've seen every one of them and unironically love them but also

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The first half of the movie is some of the best horror I've ever seen

The second half is dogshit

This is the correct take.

You struck out, OP. Take the L and sit down.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks for the warning OP, and I hope that because you unloaded about that turkey here, youll be less haunted by the bad memories of having endured it.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Junk posted:

i got this confused with the movie sinister

sinister sucked too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z18sqtD840Y

It could have been good.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Here's the story about when my brother and I went and saw Insidious 2 in the middle of a weekday.

My brother had crashed yet another car and got yet another DUI. I love my younger bro, but he's a complete loving dumbass and his friends weren't helping. So, my parents sent this 19 year old gently caress up to my place in Boston as a way for him to "reset." I still don't know if this was a good idea or not, but I loved it because we always have fun, bond over the heavier poo poo in life, smoke cigarettes, and wander the city till dawn. His gently caress ups are some of the most miserable times in my life and some of the best. I guess he's the living embodiment of the opiates he later overdosed on and nearly died from.

I was waiting tables while looking for better work, so they'd always give me the worst shifts. The night before we saw I2, I closed the restaurant and got home around 2a. He was still up so we decided to play video games all night. Sometime around 10a, we decide it'd be fun to finally see Insidious 2. All morning, we're making that stupid face the Darth Maul looking rear end guy made in the first movie and getting loving pumped to watch what will likely be a dog poo poo film. So, by the time we get to the noon showing, we're delirious from sleep deprivation and pure hype. Also, we smoked a blunt in the parking lot.

We get to the cineplex and it's practically empty. The ticket booth guy says the only flick anyone bought tickets for is some Bollywood film that an entire extended family sold out. We get our tickets and skip the concessions reasoning that distractions like popcorn and soda would only harm this experience. We enter the theater and its one of those old ones that lays flat instead of stadium seats meaning you enter from the back row. When we enter, we see aisle after aisle of empty seats. Hell yes, we have Insidious 2 to ourselves, so we sit in the center seats of the center row. Perfect.

The movie starts and we're loving every second of it. The extended haunted house sequence in the 60s gets us loving pumped to the point where we're punching each other in the arms and saying "holy gently caress dude!" like every 5 minutes. The movie is hitting its climax when we hear a soft creak from the back of the theater. I think nothing of it and mentally dismiss it as one of the janitors or managers just checking in. As the movie ramps up more and more, I start thinking "goddamn the sound design just got way better on this thing" because it sounds like one of the ghosts is right behind me. Out of nowhere, I hear this low, unapproving, but deeply satisfied moan. It's the kind of low moan people make when they open a nudie mag's centerfold and contemplate all their naughty fantasies.

"MMmmmmmm... I wouldn't go in there, boy... That's got bad joo joo..."

My brother and I look at each other from the corners of our eyes, faces still pointed at the screen. One of us has to turn and see if this man is real. Neither of us has the fortitude to face what lurks behind, so we turn our attention back to the screen, but cannot concentrate on what's happening in the film. Minutes later, the presence spoke again.

"Ohhhhhh laaaaaaaawwwwdddd. There's gotta be a better way. I know I'd have had them by now if it were me. I'da caught them all real goooood... Chop em' up, too."

At this point, I'm sweating. My fingers are digging trenches into my armrest. 10 minutes ago, my brother and I felt alive and excited like it was Christmas. Now, we couldn't bear to breath too loud.

I feel my seat push forward and the slight tickle of fingertips on my shoulder. The sound of quiet, heavy breathing intensifies and grows louder. Warm air begins to pass between my brother and I, raising the hair on my neck. The presence finally exerts himself to half cough out some parting words.

"I think it's about time we finished this."

I hesitate for about 5 seconds before I stand up and turn around. I know that no matter how bad it will be, it can't be worse than this. I need to know if I'm going to die.

But there's nothing. The light escaping from the hallway barely pours in through the cracks in the entrance door frame. Though it's dim, it illuminates the theater enough to make out most of the room. It looks the same as when we arrived: empty.

I sit back down and lock eyes with my brother. Were we visited by a ghost? Were his intentions insidious?

Turns out it was a homeless dude dipping in and out of the different theaters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Back when it came out I remember thinking it was surprisingly spooky for the first hour or so. Then it shows it's whole rear end when the monster turns out to be darth maul and there is some super lame dream world sequence that kills any sort of vibes it had going on.

Most of those horror movies aimed at teenagers and morons have enough good ideas to pad out a short film, but blow their entire load within 30 minutes. Then you are stuck with another hour that seems to be dedicated to making the movie less scary or interesting.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Further is the name of the painted bus that all the first hippies (who were mostly writing nerds) who did LSD tried to ride on. So this movie is very inaccurate since the kids spirit did not go on an LSD bus driven by the guy from on the road.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
When I was younger, my parents used to take me to see the movie, Insidious. I remember being terrified and thinking it was the scariest thing ever. I couldn't believe how scary it was, and I was never the same after that. The movie actually sucks poo poo now.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure that most people have already used lots of long and good words to describe that feeling when someone drops a mil on a film and you dont think its worth a million, I submit for your appraisal : Tane.

But.
But But Buuut, lets remember all the cool bits and throwaway oneliners from Amazing films of the horror Genre that have stayed with us, for instance : "Who's Laughing Now?" from Ash. or "You've got to be loving kidding me" from, some cold fella in the Thing (from outer space)

-Man, so many little soundbites : "Hush Now! foolish child" The Company of Wolves.
"More Brains!" The Return of the Living Dead

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 11, 2022

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

I'm fairly sure that most people have already used lots of long and good words to describe that feeling when someone drops a mil on a film and you dont think its worth a million : Tane.

gently caress I just realised I've been mentally picturing the main dude as Paul Rudd this whole time

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Bismuth posted:

Man just saw video evidence of an actual demon in the room with him and his reaction was an 'oh my god' in the tone you use when you're tired of listening to your friend tell a story about their job and just want it to be over

i've never seen the movie but i don't see the problem with this. if there was a demon in my room i'd just be like, oh, if you have to. that sucks. whatever. get on with it.

Turpitude II fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 11, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Check out Boss Baby II for a HELL of fright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Junk posted:

Dr. Sleep is also very good.

And you can't go wrong with The Thing, but I very literally can't be scared by it anymore from repeated viewing, and spend most of the time looking at Kurt Russell's glorious mane.