Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Good News, Everyone! Because the Simpsons cancellation phylactery is running low, here's 20 more Futurama episodes on Hulu to provide you another Series Finale and maybe several more Fry's dogs. It looks like they are getting a similar deal to Animaniacs, where it's split into two ten episode halves.

Everyone is back, except that precocious little scamp, John DiMaggio. There is a comment going around that it's just not a done deal at the time of the press release, but he's retweeting people who won't watch this revival if his roles are recast. They probably will watch anyway.

So quote, complain and remember the time twenty years ago when a football game preempted a show Fox had to air because they owed Matt Groening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ROOOOBOOOOOT HOOUUUUUUUUSE!!!!!!!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have opinions about Fry/Leela, but they're based almost entirely around the original seasons so I don't know if they would change based on the second round.

edit: Also, I didn't like the Seymour episode. :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It really feels like the reboot had lost the magic. I understand a few of the writers had left by that point so maybe that's why? But it's trying to do "current events" things and loving them right up
That robomarriage episode was a huge example of it - they totally gently caress up Bender and Amy's characters for a terrible throwaway bit

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m not getting Hulu to watch this.

I’ll wait for physical media

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have opinions about Fry/Leela, but they're based almost entirely around the original seasons so I don't know if they would change based on the second round.

edit: Also, I didn't like the Seymour episode. :colbert:

I like it but it’s probably my least favourite of the big emotional episodes from the original run. Luck of the Fryrish and Time Keeps On Slippin’ forever! And of course Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I am for a revival, sure, why not, but absolutely will not watch without John DiMaggio, I mean come on

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess they wouldn't pay him as much as Fry and Leela's actors? How does that work? The three of them are the main characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I assume he is demanding more because Bender is basically the poster character for the show. I definitely think they will get him eventually and this is all just negotiation tactics but it still sucks to announce the show like this, when it should be exciting news.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I wish everyone else was dead.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Who would want this? The last revival provided episodes that ranged from 'barely okay' to 'godawful.' What makes a second try a good idea?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Some of the best episodes of the whole series come from the Comedy Central run lol

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Futurama ended definitively on November 9 2014 and no one can convince me otherwise :colbert: It was the Simpsons crossover episode 😈

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

Futurama ended definitively on November 9 2014 and no one can convince me otherwise :colbert: It was the Simpsons crossover episode 😈

I don't think that episode is either in Morbotron or Frinkiac, ergo it does not exist

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they don't get John DiMaggio back they might as well not bother

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Countdown to Ted Cruz releasing a video of himself saying "bite my shiny metal rear end" when they announce they're recasting Bender

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Of all the things to resurrect, I'd be more upset about other properties, but this is really just tempting fate at this point. It probably won't be good, and there is no way you land a series close 3 times in a row it's just tempting fate to piss off the fans.

Also if there is no Bender OG then it def ain't worth it.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Didn't they announce that they'd replace the entire cast ahead of the last revival?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Escobarbarian posted:

I like it but it’s probably my least favourite of the big emotional episodes from the original run. Luck of the Fryrish and Time Keeps On Slippin’ forever! And of course Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings

Time Keeps on Slippin' was worse than the Seymour episode, imho. Luck of the Fryrish was wonderful though. So was the episode where Leela learns that she's a mutant rather than an alien.

SolarFire2 posted:

Who would want this? The last revival provided episodes that ranged from 'barely okay' to 'godawful.' What makes a second try a good idea?

I really wish I knew. This seems like a(nother) disaster waiting to happen.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they don't get John DiMaggio back they might as well not bother

Seriously, imagine The Simpsons getting canceled (god willing) and then getting resurrected without Tress MacNeille or something. Completely loving pointless and stupid.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Scherloch posted:

Didn't they announce that they'd replace the entire cast ahead of the last revival?

I don't remember; they played brinkmanship with Harry Shearer on the Simpsons, and there were several episodes where none of his characters had lines while "looking to recast" those voices.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously, imagine The Simpsons getting canceled (god willing) and then getting resurrected without Tress MacNeille or something. Completely loving pointless and stupid.

Tress is great but not essential, this would be more like the Simpsons being revived without Nancy Cartwright or Harry Shearer (I realise the latter's come close a few times, to be fair) Also I think people forget that DiMaggio does also voice a fair number of other characters. Not as many as Maurice LaMarche or Billy West, obviously. (West was the one 100% Must Get because he's literally half the Planet Express staff)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 11, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Some of the best episodes of the whole series come from the Comedy Central run lol

If I made a top ten Futurama episodes list, I don’t think there’d be a single CC episode on it.

A top twenty list would probably have a couple though.

When I heard about this news, my reaction was “yeah, ok, why not”

Normally I’d be upset that the creators aren’t moving on to something new, but they already did that with Disenchantment and it sucked so sure, bring on more Futurama

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gaz-L posted:

Tress is great but not essential, this would be more like the Simpsons being revived without Nancy Cartwright or Harry Shearer (I realise the latter's come close a few times, to be fair)

Yeah, maybe Cartwright/Kavner/Smith would have been better examples, even if they don't voice as many secondary & tertiary characters as DiMaggio did. Oh well, everyone makes lovely analogies sometimes.

quote:

Also I think people forget that DiMaggio does also voice a fair number of other characters. Not as many as Maurice LaMarche or Billy West, obviously. (West was the one 100% Must Get because he's literally half the Planet Express staff)

I'm sure they gave Billy West whatever he asked for, but I really, really wish that he'd asked for a colony on the moon or some poo poo.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Ohhhhh marmalade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The CC run ran basically every character and side character into the ground so let's see how far into the crust we can go lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is going to suck so much rear end lmao

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

keep reloading my bookmarks and thinking he’s back

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
After the original run, what is worth watching? I caught a movie/to-be-continued episode about polyamory and it was loving dire. I heard something about a dog?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's been a while, so this is by no means a comprehensive list. But just from memory:

Cream of the crop episodes - The Late Philip J Fry, The Prisoner of Benda, Cold Warriors, Game of Tones, Meanwhile

Good/Worth Watching episodes - Bender's Big Score (the first movie - some people don't like it but it's easily the best of the movies and I have soft spot for it), The Duh-Vinci Code, Proposition Infinity, A Clockwork Origin, The Mutants are Revolting, Mobius Dick, Benderama, Overclockwise, A Farewell to Arms, Fun on a Bun, 2-D Blacktop, Murder on the Planet Express

Avoid at all costs - That Darn Katz, The Futurama Holiday Spectacular, Yo Leela Leela, The Butterjunk Effect, Naturama, Saturday Morning Fun Pit

Like i said, that's just from memory and looking at an episode list. There's a ton of episodes I barely remember, which means they probably aren't great but aren't terrible either.

The biggest sin of the CC era is that (almost?) every one of the "three separate stories" type episodes was crap. I really hope we get another (good) Tales of Interest episode during the Hulu run.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vitruvian Manic posted:

After the original run, what is worth watching? I caught a movie/to-be-continued episode about polyamory and it was loving dire. I heard something about a dog?

There are less bad episodes than in the original run.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What's up with the disagreements on what episode's in which season for the Fox run?

*Edit*

OldSenileGuy posted:

Very good explanation.

Well thank you very much.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 12, 2022

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Arbite posted:

What's up with the disagrements on what episode's in what season for the Fox run?

Typical late 90's / early 00's Fox schedule fuckery. Different episodes are in different seasons depending on if you go by aired seasons or production seasons.

Futurama's episode numbering is totally hosed for a number of reasons:

- the aforementioned schedule fuckery during the Fox years. Do you go by aired season or production season?
- The movies. I know they broke them up into episodes but that's a terrible way to watch them. So are the movies by themselves considered season 5?
- The CC years can be either considered two seasons or four seasons. They ordered 26 episodes and then aired them split up into two seasons/parts, and then ordered another 26 episodes and did the same thing. So are both parts considered a single season? Or were there 4 CC seasons of ~13 episodes each?

So depending on how you look at it, the first Hulu season will be either Season 10, 9, 8, or 7.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

If it turns into a quote thread like The Simpsons thread, so be it, but I went and made a Futurama thread.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's been a while, so this is by no means a comprehensive list. But just from memory:

Cream of the crop episodes - The Late Philip J Fry, The Prisoner of Benda, Cold Warriors, Game of Tones, Meanwhile

Good/Worth Watching episodes - Bender's Big Score (the first movie - some people don't like it but it's easily the best of the movies and I have soft spot for it), The Duh-Vinci Code, Proposition Infinity, A Clockwork Origin, The Mutants are Revolting, Mobius Dick, Benderama, Overclockwise, A Farewell to Arms, Fun on a Bun, 2-D Blacktop, Murder on the Planet Express

Avoid at all costs - That Darn Katz, The Futurama Holiday Spectacular, Yo Leela Leela, The Butterjunk Effect, Naturama, Saturday Morning Fun Pit

Like i said, that's just from memory and looking at an episode list. There's a ton of episodes I barely remember, which means they probably aren't great but aren't terrible either.

The biggest sin of the CC era is that (almost?) every one of the "three separate stories" type episodes was crap. I really hope we get another (good) Tales of Interest episode during the Hulu run.

I think I'd agree with this list. Maybe bump Murder on the Planet Express up and Cold Warriors down but eh. Probably there's some others that could get into the 'worth watching' tier but I'm not gonna look through the lists. Late Phillip J Fry pretty much justifies the entire revival on it's own, imo

Whichever one was the one with the singing boil was trash but it had one of my favourite Scruffy lines (Scruffy dun turned this reg'lar board inter a divin board).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah, not going anywhere near this. Even if the last revival hadn't been mediocre at its best (unwatchable at its worst), Groening & Co haven't put out a solid 22 minutes of enjoyable television in well over a decade now. I'm out.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I think Proposity Infinity is one of the worst episodes of the series, personally. Largely due to the fact that the writers completely ignore the characters just so they can have the episode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

SolarFire2 posted:

I think Proposity Infinity is one of the worst episodes of the series, personally. Largely due to the fact that the writers completely ignore the characters just so they can have the episode.

nah I just watched it it’s good

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked the Comedy Central run, but all in all Futurama had 7 seasons, and ended in a satisfying way. Simpsons also managed 7 great seasons before it started going off the rails, but still stayed good until maybe season 11-12. So maybe Futurama had one or two more good seasons to it, but I’d rather not find out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wonder if they're going to pick up where the Planet Express crew were last seen (the Simpsons crossover, shown in 2014) in 3014, or jump forward to match the broadcast year, making it 3022? Even Amy will be in her 40s if they do, and as for the Professor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Not sure why Disney decided to revive this when no one asked for it this time but okay.

I think DiMaggio is bluffing to a point. Obviously, he wants a good deal and rightfully so but if he's given a ultimatum between Bender getting recasted or a lower than expected deal then he's choosing the latter and Disney knows it.

Has there been any other show that has gotten original episodes on OTA TV, cable, and streaming before?