Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't articulate what it is about the post-movie revival episodes that puts me off. The kindest thing I can say about this first episode is that I don't think it dropped in quality from what I remember the last few seasons being, when I made myself sit through a few episodes.

It's a nice try, and I'm sure this is for /someone/, but sadly it's not me. I hope people do enjoy it though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Robot Devil aside, I thought the only voice that sounded off was Hermes. It almost sounded like Phil did him in falsetto.

I mean I'll go so far as to say that I was shocked how on-point everyone else was. After all this time off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sardonik posted:

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. My only issue is that Billy West's Phillip J Fry sounds a little on the painfully old side.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I made it about halfway through this episode and decided to turn it off.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I think three episodes in I kind of get what we're in store for and it's not what I'm after.

I'll check back at the end of the season to see what people thought the standout hits were I suppose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's amazing the way you notice two things

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this was the best we've had yet. I don't think it was particularly great, but I got some laughs out of it. Had a light string of "classic futurama" style humour and wasn't aggressively bland. I'll take it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean my only real nitpick here is that we all know what Amazon is, and MomCorp is already a corporate juggernaut, so this whole plot would have worked probably even better without the unnecessary hand holding.

Yeah a giant warehouse full of slave labour putting people out of business, giant needless packaging, invasive digital assistants, WHO COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE MAKING FUN OF HERE?? Just call it MomCorp. Respect your audience enough to know they'll get the joke without literally saying "hey it's like Amazon but run by Mom"

I don't want to make it seem like that's what made the episode bad or anything -- again, i thought it was ok, but when I see that they CAN write a funny script it just kind of irks me that they feel they need to point out the obvious joke instead of trusting that the writing will lead us there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 22, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Or just lampshade how obvious it is, like that old Simpsons episode where they meet corrupt boxing promoter Lucius Sweet and comment on how he's exactly as rich and famous as Don King.... and looks just like him too!

Leela: "I love how MomCorp stocks everything you need. It's kind of like what Amazon was a thousand years ago"
Fry: "Pfft, that lame online bookstore startup? No way, that thing'd never get off the ground."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m eight minutes in and my brain is shutting down I don’t know if I can make it to the end

E: Yeah I pulled the chute at the car thing

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What if we tried a what-if episode without the what-if machine? :derp:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly I'll keep tuning in every week just because there were one or two this run that have kept my attention or were even mildly entertaining, but I turned the last episode off 1/3 of the way through and I'm not going to hesitate to press the stop button on anything that is just insultingly bad.

Love yourself enough to know when to back away :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good episode. Pretty happy. Just still some nitpicks with how it's written but that's all they are.. nitpicks.

Like that little bit of dialogue where Leela asks how Bender was in the air that entire time. Why even explain it. No joke could be funnier than just leaving it hanging, no pun intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone should take morbotron and run it through some pixel algorithm to create an actual simputron that you can search and get tiny pixel versions of the show