Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It really feels like the reboot had lost the magic. I understand a few of the writers had left by that point so maybe that's why? But it's trying to do "current events" things and loving them right up
That robomarriage episode was a huge example of it - they totally gently caress up Bender and Amy's characters for a terrible throwaway bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bend Her was poo poo at the time too
I think on IMDB it's the second lowest rated episode of the good ones (after a Leela Of Her Own)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I feel like every time the show got into the subject of gender, the writers just trotted out the laziest hack cliches imaginable. That one CC revival episode where the crew got genderswapped also comes to mind.

I guess it's very Gen X/Boomer - just think of what Season 1 of Seinfeld is like

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

All these bad posts saying that totally fine episodes are bad and nobody has mentioned the real worst episode of the original run: The Route of All Evil

I don’t think it’s BAD (like how some revival episodes are bad), but Cubert and Dwight can’t carry an episode on their own

Also, I rewatched Overclockwise today and it’s a drat good episode. I’m not sure if it was written as a “this could be the series finale” episode but it definitely feels like it.

Wait what's wrong with it? Other than the idea that americans say it as "rowt"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

swickles posted:

Does Dwight even show up in the Comedy Central run?

They go to Hermes' house and eat there. I want to say it's a christmas one? Either way Dwights in that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shindragon posted:

As for CC futurama. Very hit and miss. It had some solid ones like Bender trying to find his original creator because he wants to find out why he doesn't have a back up body. Zoidberg actually ends up happy with someone.

I didn't like that episode because they made a big fuss in the past of how bender is immortal, then suddenly...he isn't any more. And when you find out who it is as well, it's just really trite

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Danzel Glovington posted:

Definitely love some of his non-bender voices. Url comes to mind right away. Sal... , oh man lol and Barbados Slim. Is he going to continue doing voices for characters of color I wonder...

God they loving love Barbados Slim in the commentary, I feel like they mention him every few episodes.

Aces High posted:

I did a rewatch last year and the CC episodes are a slog until Fry and Leela actually became a couple, then it got a lot better because after 4 seasons, 4 movies and TWO "finales" of them going down the will path it is frustrating as poo poo to just walk it all back like they did for the CC start. We got good stuff but even when they became a couple we still got stupid poo poo like the human zoo episode.

Yea I hated them walking it back. It was so strange as well, it felt like they'd gone "Eh we don't know how to make this work now, we'll just do a reset"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I like all of those episodes. Especially the Honking

Leela of Her Own is too American, I don't give a poo poo about baseball

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Isn't it only YeaTubaMike that hates Time Keeps On Slippin'?

The worst of the revival episodes is Proposition Infinity because it shits all over two characters and the way they frame their message is ridiculous

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

galenanorth posted:

the vaccine one is likely to be about the writers making themselves feel big by laughing at stupid people rather than saying anything substantive, the political episodes will be correct but feel similarly preachy, and if the writers are like most in their political demographic, they might not even wear masks anymore, which they should

They'll be awful west wing liberal like their stupid gay marriage episode

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

To be fair, I didn't actively hate it or anything. It was fine background TV, but that's such a low bar to clear and with the talent involved you'd think that they could do more. Especially since the ideas could have been fun.

It was said in the thread but it feels like two very distinct writing groups are working on it and the way each episode was meant to work swung wildly from group to group

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MikusR posted:

As someone who had no idea who Susan Boyle was (still not entirely sure), it was just a funny singing boil voiced by Craig Ferguson.

I've legit no idea how you couldn't know who she was but it was probably different in the UK with how much she was just everywhere

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Futurama is an American show made by Americans. We knew who Susan Boyle was. She was everywhere for a minute. On TV and viral on all forms of social media as a feel-good story that super wasn't. It was just a reminder that we expect everybody to be model pretty.

Ye but I'm replying to the people saying they didn't know who she was.
For me that's like the people who're surprised in the Crown when Diana dies.

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought it was weird that Futurama did a Susan Boyle story in 2010 because I thought for sure her time in the spotlight had been like almost a decade earlier. Time really does keep on skipping!

Quite a bit of the revival made me feel like the creators were now too old. Very "remember this from a decade ago" vibes all over the place
Whereas Futurama itself didn't really have that for me

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am extremely morbidly curious about the "Zapp Gets Canceled" episode. I need to see that episode, just like I needed to see every episode of Allen Gregory.

Can't wait to see the Gen X take on that, I tell you what
(oh wait I live that every day just by looking at british media)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

All three are basically saying "It's kinda poo poo but eh, more content for the content farm"
Which is depressing

The variety one is a proper rubbish AI level one though, just "here's what Futurama as a concept is" and I feel like the main reason for the reboot isn't to lure in new viewers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The original run had almost zero clunkers. Maybe a handful. And even those weren't terrible.

Yea there's a definite "mix of 7-9 scores" for the original run and then a "mix of 6-9 scores" in the second run.
It's no way as bad as the complete drop off for the simpsons but it's there, the later ones are just straight up not as good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Last time this came up in the Futurama thread I felt like the point stood that even A Leela of Her Own, possibly one of the worst episodes and one people generally agree on, still had a good Bender quote that gets repeated a lot and the Hank Aaron Jr. stuff that was okay. It didn't seem like they had any truly dreadful ones until the reboots even if some were just mediocre.

A Leela of Her Own is definitely (IMDB wise) the lowest rated original one
There's a few rated lower later on but the average score is just generally lower.

I do think (especially with older stuff) it's a good way of seeing the consensus on episodes because it does tend to fit how people talk about them too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Island Nation posted:

Of course it was always going to reset the Fry/Leela angle. They've done that each revival.

They shouldn't do, though. I don't get why they can't just write them in a relationship?

I was surprised to see it actually is on Disney+ here, feels like we've had no advertising or anything that's back. All the internet stuff I've seen has just mentioned Hulu. I mean it makes sense it's on Disney+ I'm just saying it's surprising it's not been very advertised.

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was fine. It wasn't the best Futurama episode but it also wasn't the worst which is pretty good for a show coming back after being canned for 10 years. Some of the voices definitely sounded a little off, like the Robot Devil.

I guess poor ol' Dan's nearly 70 now

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm gonna say it wasn't very good. I think the second fix would have made more sense to come up with first and him having left the suit already two days before but nobody had noticed or said anything felt kinda blah.
Bit late stage Simpsons sort of a resolution.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

On the other hand I'm pretty sure they've made that joke a few times

I rewatched RELATIVELY recently (in 2021) so it's kinda fresh to me, it was the first time I saw the newer episodes even.
Not saying other episodes haven't got bad resolutions but that felt extra bad

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

That at the PC crowd joke felt very on brand Futurama.

And the "move that out of the way to get to the atomic calendar" bit

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Probably not quite the same thing since it's Fry we're talking about, who has a brain like Leela's prom dress, but one of my favorite ever gags from the original run of Futurama is:

Fry: We can escape through this steam pipe.... oh no, it's full of steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8aVgOxjJU

:allears:

It works on a few levels because people escape through steam pipes and things quite a bit in older sci-fi

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nichael posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to be a "b-b-b-but out of character!" people because it doesn't matter a ton as long a good joke is delivered. Or at least it doesn't within reason.

I mean what makes futurama (and simpsons!) good is that they have proper characters to a degree.

This was a pretty awful episode. Loads of explaining the joke, a story that stepped on the feet directly of the previous episodes and a proper stupid ending (the test)
What were the Tardigrades even doing with Zap? They take him into a room and just sorta let him stand there for a while, I guess

Also the subtitles spelled Leela wrong loads which was pretty funny

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

What was the point of the sweets? They could have just cut that entire plotline out entirely and just had them want ANYTHING from Zap
Felt like a late series Simpsons where the intro has no relation to anything else that happens in the episode

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bizarrely there's one more series of Disenchantment coming, they say it's the final one.
I'm floored

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I was so confused by what the overall message they seemed to be going for was. At the end of the episode, the Grand Midwife asks Amy if she truly loves her children and it's treated like this big amazing moment of revelation when Amy says she does, and the Grand Midwife says that's all that really mattered.

Except... that was never in question at any point in the episode? All I can think is that somehow the writers thought Leela being the genetic source of half the DNA would make ANYBODY think of her as their real mom? Which is such a weird way to look at things that it didn't even occur to me until I started writing this post.

The sci-fi magazine Galaxy has their entire back catalogue up from the 1950s and there's some stories in there that made me feel a bit like that.
For example - something happens on Earth that means nobody can have children. To see if it's the people or the place, they send two people (a soviet and an american of course) to the moon to see if they can have kids. About half of the story is them getting arsey about having to marry each other.
The whole time I was thinking "wait, what, why does that have to happen"

Just a strange glimpse into the mind of someone with a totally different worldview

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aging the characters in real time would mean everyone's in their 50s.
It can still be a work based sitcom

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For me the jokes don't work if the plot doesn't, which is why disenchanted was so loving awful.
I guess I'm not necessarily looking for it to have good jokes, I just want it to be funny? Like Taskmaster or Bottom aren't full of "jokes", but they're funny

That's what I want and old Futurama was like that. Same with simpsons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

That was absolute and utter dogshit. The other two at least tied together even if they weren't very good. This felt like a modern Family Guy where they've got a few joke ideas that they tie together with the roughest story and every single character is just there to try and make those jokes.
Proper and complete poo poo.

I'd even compare it to modern day Simpsons, it feels so random now

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The gay marriage one was AWFUL, totally hosed over Amy/Bender's characters

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess the comedy central episodes are still kinda rubbish but they feel more coherent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rollos posted:

No way. I just rewatched seasons 1-4 and they still hold up well and have a high consistent quality. In fact I'd probably put that four season run up against any four season run of The Simpsons.

Agreed. It's not like it was in the Simpsons threads here back in the day, we can all see those old episodes and compare them RIGHT NOW it's not half remembered stuff

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hulu Premier was fine. But everything after that has been middling and forgettable imo. I binged all three episodes last night and maybe that made the dropoff in quality more stark. The plot and characterizations (especially Leela, Amy, Amy's folks) in episode 2 were especially rancid.

Went back and randomly watched the single female lawyer episode ("When Aliens Attack"), which I've probably seen a dozen times over the years, and still laughed my rear end off. Unfortunately it also made clear to me that Billy West and Phil LaMarr are losing their range or just out of practice for these characters in 2023.

LaMarr really shouldn't be doing Dwight any more

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

The CC era definitely met with very mixed reception at the time. The eyePhone / Susan Boil episode was one of the first in the run and people hated it. With the exception of Bender's Big Score, the movies also got a really mixed slate.

Rewatching some season one episodes recently, it's striking how much slower the pace is, how many scenes have no music, and how much of a focus there is early on on plot and character. I always remembered the heartfelt stuff being something that came in later, but actually it's more like the jokes-heavy episodes come in later and the heartfelt moments get siloed off to dedicated episodes.

Early futurama is like early simpsons
Late futurama is like late simpsons

It kinda makes sense that it's happened but it's still what it feels like

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Just absolute dogshit. It feels like scenes get cut too - the professor says don't get out of the tank. The tank sinks. They're out of the tank.
I thought they might say something about it but nope. Just carries on.

Nibbler turning up really small after his huge shadow comes over the tray, just nothing connecting the scenes.

I still don't really understand why they couldn't swap the litter tray. I know it was hard to get soil but that would have been interesting I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

- Nibbler's long what-I-learned wrapup being met with "good" and the Nibblonians signing off made me genuinely laugh. It works as a quick punchline, but also as a joke about how hokey his reasons for being on Earth actually are.

That was the only bit I laughed at, a pretty decent joke.

Cojawfee posted:

It was a 3D crossword and quantum wordle.

It was weird that right at the end of the episode her 3d crossword still had 2001 on it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aces High posted:

War is the H Word is definitely up there if you're a big fan of Zappisms (normally for that I would recommend Amazonian Women in the Mood but that's and episode that aged pretty badly, all things considered) especially this all-timer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkfDMChzlI

My favourite part of ANY futurama episode is in Amazon Women in the Mood where they're hidden in the grass skirt and fry says "okay this is my plan" then the Amazonian goes "ugh, ugh ugh ugh ugh?"
With bender replying "that's the dumbest plan I ever heard"

No idea why I like it so much

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Not sure if it was Welker or not, but I recall one of the commentaries mentioning they took a voice actor's performance and then added a bunch of filters to make it deeper/boomier/bassier etc beyond what a human could do. When they called him back in to do the character like a year later, he showed up and gave a performance that exactly matched that altered version, because he re-listened to it before coming in and didn't realize it had been altered, and just assumed it was all his voice and so re-created it perfectly :stare:

I remember them saying "if you need to hear a dragon flying backwards in a canadian accent on a tuesday you get Welker"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea that one was decent! Nothing amazing but god, worlds ahead of the poo poo we've had until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Mostly agree. 1 & 2 were both good. 5 was very good. The other three have been fine. Not good.....but not dreadful like some of the CC episodes were. Feels like each one of these episodes at least had a few good gags or jokes.....which again......is more than I can say for some of the CC episodes.

5 was reasonable, like a low end original run or mid CC run episode.
The others have all been poo poo.

Still, one decent episode is better than I expected to get!

IMDB wise 1,5,6 all have reasonable ratings, the others are extremely low. That said not many people are voting compared to what you'd normally see, I wonder how many people are even watching this? Felt like it came back with barely any fanfare, even Disenchantment got more than this.