Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Not sure why Disney decided to revive this when no one asked for it this time but okay.

I think DiMaggio is bluffing to a point. Obviously, he wants a good deal and rightfully so but if he's given a ultimatum between Bender getting recasted or a lower than expected deal then he's choosing the latter and Disney knows it.

Has there been any other show that has gotten original episodes on OTA TV, cable, and streaming before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The man's also a higher profile voice actor than West or Sagal comparatively at this point. Look at his IMDB and you can see he is drowning in work so it's not impossible they came in at a price that undercuts his current rate/earning potential relative to the work he may have to turn down to record for the series

Of course. If you can't get him, don't make the show. Nobody was demanding a revival and would accept a change in VA unless death occured.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fun is now confirmed to be on a bun.

Still skeptical on how it'll turn out but it can't be as bad as Disenchantment.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Uncle Wemus posted:

Now you've done it...

Probably

I was bitter about Fox (the network) screwing with Futurama the way it did and thought it was cut short. Elated with the movies but wanting more since it was clearly made to be split up and satisfied with the CC run even with some clunkers and thought it had come to a natural end. Hulu reviving it baffles me and even with the full cast back has left me cold. I'll still watch it though of course but the thought of further diminishing returns concerns me.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Reviews are coming in. Here are non Hypnotoad based ones:

https://www.avclub.com/futurama-season-11-review-hulu-tv-revival-1850633949

https://www.cracked.com/article_38785_review-this-time-around-futurama-may-have-come-back-one-time-too-many.html

https://variety.com/2023/tv/tv-reviews/futurama-hulu-reboot-review-1235674534/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Even Toei can't drag the Mets to feature length:mets:

I'd assume after the series vs Gamera (and Keith's meltdown) that their $400 trillion roster would perform better but :mets: gonna :mets:

The episode was fine for me, might be a bit too inside baseball in some spots but it could've been a lot worse (Proposition Infinity anyone?)

Of course it was always going to reset the Fry/Leela angle. They've done that each revival.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gromit posted:

I thought it was a dig on Black Mirror, seeing as every episode is about current tech but amped up 1000%.

It's 100% a dig of Black Mirror. It was changed from The Scary Door to The Scary Mirror for a reason.

muscles like this! posted:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/futurama-john-dimaggio-bender-salary-1235677962/
Oof, turns out John DiMaggio didn't actually get the pay raise he was asking for.

You mean the law firm with a side hustle of entertainment crushed a voice actor's attempt at a pay raise? I'm shocked, SHOCKED...actually, not that shocked.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Nichael posted:

Not really a flashy line, but this felt classic Simpsons/Futurama to me too. It's very "a character is as stupid as the joke and plot demand it", and I love the idea of Amy somehow forgetting the tons of past interactions they've had.

It’s possible that the line is meant to reintroduce Zapp since there’s a good chance that some people are watching the show for the first time too. Proper intro likely next week.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The scenario could've led to something more interesting especially between Amy and Leela but comes off like a wet fart. Zapp was a nonstarter too.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This should be a episode that could've noted something that Fry would've had absolutely no clue about due to being frozen before its creation but instead it's mostly LOL Wild West jokes (a genre I loathe).

Hell, The Simpsons did a episode spoofing the film Westworld. Futurama could done it for the TV series.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My brainwaves must be off kilter from the rest of the people here because I thought this was the best Hulu episode so far.

Granted, the exact Dune references are alien to me since I haven't read it but cultural osmosis got me the general idea.

It's a simple story, what would you do for a pet you love? Granted, my pooch can't understand 3D crosswords or films in any language but wanting to stop a BFFs pain seems pretty universal to me. Some of the jokes were actually funny too but if you had to deal with the mental torture of watching dance competitions & recitals then Bender going all Fred Astaire for no logical reason drew laughter from me.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Android Blues posted:

I thought it was fairly okay, definitely a step up from last week. Thoughts:

- It's kinda weird that Nibbler kills a guy in a dog park at the start of this one.

They do explicitly show him wearing a baseball cap saying Yale Law and Groening famously hires writers who attended Harvard. Chalk it up to the staff teasing those who drink Foxon Park and little more.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In a unfortunate bit of timing, my pooch had to be put down today. Boneitis was ruled out.

What episode does everyone here have as their funniest? Jurassic Bark is right out.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Thanks for the suggestions. My sister named the dog Yogi due to her now husband being a huge Yankees fan so the episode with Hank Aaron could sort of work. I do have the DVD set (which I had in my Xbox when the massive blackout occurred one score ago this week) so no censorship there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Too big to fail taken to its illogical extreme

Seems like they could've taken Amaz...Err, Mom down a peg but instead had her achieve total universal victory. Either Hermes wanted to commit fraud or PE is out of business which changes the paradigm of the series given the chips in the pilot.

Which means same as usual next week.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I liked it. Probably doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all but I was willing to let the silliness wash over me. Best of the season IMO so far.

Nice outro and tribute to Coolio as well.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Kinda weird they're still using the 90s version of Citibank's logo for City Hall.

It seems that they had several plots they wanted to do but crammed them all in this episode like a jambalaya that's undercooked. Some parts were OK (Bender invoking the spinning newspaper trope) but it's more head scratching then anything else.

Make a Lrrr invasion a separate episode.
Make a Hermes/LaBarbera/Barbados Slim triangle a separate episode. Also I have questions on their marriage.
There's tech we have Fry wouldn't have known when he got frozen, that could be a episode.
Wouldn't 5G be ancient history in 3023? 3G went from new to dusted in 15 years.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cojawfee posted:

These people are in their 60s, how are they going to write a young adult.

Hire more writers from the Harvard Lampoon? They grew up likely with either the video game or DVD movies as their first taste of the show though.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Was there a contest in a kids magazine to write a episode of the show or did the ex-Harvard writers take cues from their earlier brethren and take enough hallucinogens to kill small to medium size animals?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Why couldn't the rest of the season be like this? This was great!

No belated thinkpieces on 21st century events, No nonsensical plots to justify a theme, just a straight episode that hits on science fiction, philosophy and character nuances to create a episode that takes advantage of what the show brings to the medium. A night a day difference to the last episode but then again it was written by David X Cohen.

With the writers strike over, it'll probably be 2025 until the 2nd half appears. Hopefully it'll be more of this assuming Hulu will still be around.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Taear posted:

I'll watch the next series, why not. It's 20 minutes, gently caress it

I completely agree. There are worse TV shows out there to spend time on.
I've been critical of this season but to me it's better than Only Murders in the Building.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

PostNouveau posted:

It doesn't have Martin Short, so it's automatically only half as irritating at most.

I'm more bothered by other problems: It's not funny, it involves true crime podcasts which I hate with a passion and they seemingly pull out plot twists based on a magic 8 ball.

Futurama is guilty of some of these too but at least the characters aren't as grating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So this will be on Disney+ when they inevitably fold Hulu into it then