Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Been lurking in the thread so far, but just wanna say I appreciate being able to catch up here. I adored Bad Machinery and seeing the Mystery Teens grow, had fun with Giant Days even though Susan dragged down the experience for me and this latest series feels like a nice way of checking into old friends.

Interesting to see Dean again and find him doing well, not to mention the whole self-awareness of him being not easy to get along with earlier. Weirdly enough, I always thought the later issues of Giant Days were trying to set up a romance between him and Esther. There were multiple hints, too. Like the fact that, unlike Ed, he doesn't put Esther on a pedestal and knows the chaos she's capable of, or that part where they had to look after Dean's pet together, or when Esther went to a nude painting class and thought the model (who was implied to be Dean) was hot.

Maybe it was supposed to be a plot development but got dropped because John Allison wanted to be done with the series?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really a fan of Lottie being romantically involved. Yeah, we've seen her harbor crushes before during Space is The Place, but Lottie not being into relationships was what set her apart from Esther and Shelley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ronya posted:

It seemed for a while that Allison did not really know what to do with post-Blossom-Cooper Shauna Wickle

I guess "drifted away to a new friend group at sixth form" is both realistic and also not very great for Allison's style of storytelling

While I like Shauna getting to have her own adventures, the Mystery Kids just clicked so well together as a team that having them drift apart is such a baffling creative decision. It doesn't help that by the last few storylines, Allison didn't seem like they had much interest in having Jack, Sonny and Linton do anything of note. I had such high hopes for Linton being more than just "the horny one" in the Wen-Tack storyline by making him guide the new batch of Mystery Kids, except he just noped out for no good reason.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I appreciate how John Allison makes sure to depict Logan as this short and stocky guy with feral-looking teeth. Just seems like it's not quite as obvious when he's drawn in Marvel's usual style.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Magus Tom would rock those frontless jerkins, is all I'm saying.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's no wonder Allison's doing a good job writing Wolverine. A short, stocky, hairy weirdo who goes on rage-fueled berserker charges while struggling with his inner beast? That's just Brian. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My guess is that the car's actually benevolent and just wants a friend

Mag's face in panel 5 cracks me up. Just absolute fascination at the thought of Rev expressing an emotion that isn't broody silence or anger at sea creatures.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'd love it if Tom releases Jason, thinking the captivity has driven him mad and ready to trash Rev, only for Jason to punch his lights out. Tom keeps underestimating the capacity for good in people and it's gonna bite him in the rear end one day.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gonna be honest, Billie supposedly not being as good a person as the thinks she is feels like an informed attribute at this point, in contrast to how we've seen Maggie standing up for the right thing several times. The comic hints that Billie used to be this nasty snake back in her hometown and just suddenly decided to switch to being good one day, but we haven't seen this in action. The worst she's done is help the church lie to the bishop who was checking in on them, but even that involved Billie putting together an actual food drive.

I just find it weird, like maybe Allison can't commit to making Billie a jerk? It's not like he hasn't written protagonists being terrible plenty of times, either. See: Susan and the poo poo she does in Giant Days.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm glad Rev made a friend. :)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maggie looks so happy in that picture. :)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Two issues doesn't seem like enough time to resolve the plot beats about Tom keeping Jason as a captive or Maggie's dad and grandmother(?)'s plans to do something bad to Maggie.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm worried poor Brian will peek in from the window, see Rev with these two, and there's a huge misunderstanding where he thinks Rev would rather be friends with them than with Brian. :ohdear:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lorraine is a moron. Billie going to the church of Satan, making it a friendlier and better space for its worshippers, realizing she wants to go back to God's path after all, and then coming back to the church to atone would be the kind of redemption story that the Cardinal would eat up.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This storyline is interesting when you consider what happens to Tim in that one arc of Bad Machinery. Riley had basically suppressed Tim from inventing for years, until Tim gets an urge to make something for his family, and how that huge mess led to Tim and Riley splitting apart. IIRC, Riley kinda gets away with doing a lot of lovely stuff like that, including trying to poison her own kid's mind to be against Shelley, to the point Scout had to pretend to hate Shelley just so Riley will let her spend time with her dad.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Did the church get closed down offscreen because that old bat tattled on them to the Cardinal? Because I still say that Billie being hexed into joining the Church of Satan, getting out of it, feeling remorse for her actions and trying to atone for it would totally appeal to the Cardinal's Christian values.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

One of my gripes with Steeple was that it's kind of unclear to what degree people accept that any of this stuff is actually going on. The biggest example of this, was, of course, the hipster witches, who have committed quite a few no-poo poo crimes using their magical powers, but nobody really seems to consider the possibility of them seeing justice either under normal-person law or supernatural-vigilante law.

Allison's writing has this...issue...or maybe quirk is a better word? Where characters can do some terrible poo poo but rarely get any comeuppance because it leads to Funny and/or Dramatic Situations. Most of the time it works because the writing is so breezy, but sometimes we get Ken Lord from that Bobbins story about Ryan making friends with his fellow teacher and her husband. Ken seemed harmless in that story, ignoring how he's twice his wife's age and they married when she was his student in university. But then you get to that Giant Days issue where Esther almost got date-raped by Ken if it hadn't been for her new friend running interference. :stare: The most anyone acknowledged it was Ken's literary colleagues joking with Esther that it was an open secret he did that.

And it's not just side characters who do that. Colm became a possessive, jealous thug when he was the one who dumped Claire. Or how Susan and McGraw had an affair, and Susan manipulated Esther into choosing between her and McGraw's girlfriend, the aforementioned person who saved Esther from being date-raped.

It's something I've begrudgingly accepted in Allison's works , and I do get that it's depressingly realistic that people do sometimes get away with doing lovely things. Still, I wanted to say you're not alone in feeling this way. IIRC, Maggie's dad was almost going to let her get sexually assaulted by his party friends, so it's bizarre that she's even talking to him in this issue.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gonna be honest, I don't have much high hopes of Steeple ending all of its dangling plot hooks in a satisfactory manner. There's Maggie's Dad planning some poo poo, Magus Tom trapping Rev's merfold-fied friend in a dungeon for something, Brian being back to a regular werewolf, the Church apparently being shut down because of the old woman snitching on what Billie did, whoever these Extreme Freaks are, and now this murder mystery with Mrs. Clovis.

There's just too much going on and not enough pages to give it any focus.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Gonna be honest, I don't have much high hopes of Steeple ending all of its dangling plot hooks in a satisfactory manner. There's Maggie's Dad planning some poo poo, Magus Tom trapping Rev's merfold-fied friend in a dungeon for something, Brian being back to a regular werewolf, the Church apparently being shut down because of the old woman snitching on what Billie did, whoever these Extreme Freaks are, and now this murder mystery with Mrs. Clovis.

There's just too much going on and not enough pages to give it any focus.

I already had a feeling Steeple wouldn't resolve in a satisfying manner, but what we got is somehow worse. The post from Allison does explain why he ended it the way he did, but firing all the plot hooks he had like that had the side effect of Steeple ending with everyone in a miserable state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really can't understand why Tim went on to marry Riley, especially after finding out she was sabotaging him.