Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I like John Allison a lot, he's one of the few male writers who actually writes well for female characters. I'm only really familiar with Bad Machinery and the mystery teens, but it's delightful and I'm looking forward to reading more of his work. Thanks, OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Saoshyant posted:

How many villains can you identify from Esther's imagination?

I see the Riddler has become the Wriggler

Digging the little red Snufkin lulling Susan to sleep

Edit: the little details are so great in Allison's work, like the box of Egg Puffs, and that the Penguin is a literal penguin with a hand gun

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 23, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CoolCab posted:

pocket billiards is slang for jerking off, for our american friends

We call it Pocket Pool

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Is that it? The drunk guy was the vandal 147? I hope there's more, this is kind of disappointing

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Saoshyant posted:

The story isn't over yet, but this should be all we'll see about 147. This is primarily a Giant Days story. They don't get more "exciting" than that. It's just a fun time of wacky stuff, word play, and the cast solving the plot in their own way.

To summarize:

147 isn't just a "drunk guy". He's introduced as Kenny O'Shea, two times World Snooker Champion, who decided to revolutionize the sport by bringing in Snooker Plus rules. Except, one day he got shut down hard, all his sponsors threw him out, and he basically lost everything.

Fittingly, as most Batman villains work, this is revealed to have been caused by Batman/Bruce Wayne indirectly, as one of his companies shut down the plan after Kenny had invested all his money on it.

And just as Batman is doing what Batman always does -- beating up his villains and locking them up to make the problem worse -- Daisy saves Kenny by making him really, really loving drunk enough to fool Batman. She always knew who 147 was and that's been hinted throughout the story.

Yeah, I got that. It's disappointing compared to Allison's other works, is all. It's not much of a mystery if the culprit is named almost immediately and the detective is almost as quickly shown to be completely correct. Takes all the tension and fun out of it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, it was a guy who threw chalk dust and engaged in petty vandalism. you weren't supposed to take him very seriously.

The problem isn't that it's light-hearted or silly, it's that there's no tension or mystery; it ends so fast that there's no buildup to the conclusion. The culprit is correctly guessed with no detective work, the confrontation is extremely short, and the conclusion is unsatisfying. It's not even especially funny or fun.

Compare it to, for example, "Tina, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," an episode of "Bob's Burgers" with an equally silly and low-stakes mystery. There's at least some detective work and effort by Tina and Louise, there's conflict between the girls as they work on the case, the bad guy isn't revealed in the first half, and you get a sense that Tina is emotionally invested in figuring out who the mole is. This just feels like, John Allison wanted to draw Batman and half-assed a story to justify it.

The thing is, I like John Allison's other stuff. It's more interesting, including silly stuff. Is it just how "Giant Days" is? Anything that didn't make the cut for "Steeple" or "Bad Machinery" gets used in "Giant Days?"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

How Wonderful! posted:

Nah usually they don't solve mysteries, they just have lowkey college plots. I think part of the friction here is that he's plopping these characters down in a genre they're not used to. So if you like the characters, it's fun to see them running around interacting with a superhero and doing stuff on the margins of a campy supervillain plot. If you don't have any investment in the characters, sure, it probably does just feel like a not especially compelling supervillain plot.

In other words I liked this just fine but I could see why one wouldn't, and just want to see it's not especially representative of what Giant Days is like and furthermore you should check out Giant Days.

I'm glad to hear that, because it'd be a shame if "Giant Days" was just a lackluster "Bad Machinery." My issue isn't the characters, it's that the story is very short and boring, and John Allison knows how to write a fun and engaging mystery/caper so this is a disappointment. It feels like he lost his nerve partway through the comic and rushed to finish it before DC could hear about it and shut him down mid-story. And/or he was taken with the idea of his characters meeting Batman, couldn't come up with a good story, and did it anyway. Like he drew the cover and came up with a plot to go with it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Scaramouche posted:

To me the point of the story wasn't much to do with villains and comeuppance but more so Daisy et al can get some good zingers in on Batman and Alfred. Like that's the joke imo, the zany Allison verse colliding with Batman grim n gritty and not much actually happening.

I don't have a problem with that premise either, it's just that he wrote what I feel is a sub-par comic for John Allison, partly because it's pretty short and partly because I thought it was just Okay

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Lottie's eyeliner game in on point

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Claire looks pretty unhappy about Charlotte being there, and I don't blame her. Lottie is great, but I feel like she should understand depression and anxiety the least of all the former Mystery Teens

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Poor little Claire, never learned the invaluable lesson of disappointing your parents early on, so everything afterwards is a pleasant surprise

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Incredibly adorable, I'm having children just so they can watch this

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Good god, Claire, just get out of your seat and go stand with that cute boy

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Yvonmukluk posted:

I must admit that confused me too. Why'd his mind go there of all people (not that Tura Satana isn't an individual to be proud to be compared to, she's just not someone I'd ever associate with Lottie)?

Lottie's got the hair, the spunk, and the dangerous curves

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I like that Shauna's tattoos are a combination of anchors and the symbol for Woman/Venus

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I would go halves on an ice cream van with Little Claire. She has a good head on her shoulders

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Mildred is still my favorite Mystery Teen, but Claire is probably my favorite Mystery Twenty-Something

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Aww, Lottie's first stupid boyfriend! Bless, the little late bloomer

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Bimmi posted:

You can’t convince me that any of the stories being told in Solvers (and I use the term “stories” generously here) needed to be told. It’s been an aimless bore from the get-go, and Lottie as the main character just isn’t working for me.

I agree, Lottie isn't an especially good main character. But if this is setting up a Little Claire story with Lottie relegated to the background, it'll help redeem "Solvers"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I gotta be honest, I don't have high hopes for this story, considering how lackluster the Batman comic was

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I take back everything I said about this story, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (February 17-21, 2005)

What did they do to that poor girl's feet?