Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Poor guy has to watch every single movie and read every book on release day or else he just can't stop himself from googling spoilers

It truly is hell to be forced, at gunpoint, with tears rolling down your cheeks, to click on every TWW3 battle, campaign, and roster video. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm planning to play this on gamepass then wait for a sale to get it on steam, but I forgot how absolutely dogshit the Xbox app is. Trying to preload but it just says error and won't tell me anything else.

Gamepass "preloads" this far out from release will typically only download a tiny placeholder file that does nothing other than to tell the client to start downloading automatically when the actual preload goes up. It probably won't be up for actual preload until a day or two before release.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azran posted:

Oh it's very much real, I remember reading the documentation put out by GW. IIRC the phrasing was "marketing is odious in a niche" or something of the sort, this was back in the age of GW death threads and I remember people joking about the 'odious in a niche' bit alongside the one about 'jewel-like objects of wonder' when talking about their miniatures.

The infamous quote was "marketing is otiose in a niche", with otiose meaning "serving no purpose". Their belief was that GW was the undisputed king of miniatures games, so anyone who was at all interested in miniatures would automatically be drawn in to playing GW's miniatures games, so marketing to new audiences in any way was a waste of energy. This belief also led to all of the infamous GW price hiking, because they believed they had a captive audience who had no choice other than to pay whatever GW asked.

Old GW's leadership was truly impressively stupid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

So it seems that Nagash is almost guaranteed, for those who don't know what he is, what should we expect? It doesn't really look like he'd be a new faction, seems more like a mix of tomb kings and vampire counts?

He'll probably have a mishmash of Vampire Counts, Vampire Coast, and a limited amount of Tomb Kings stuff(the Tomb Kings outside of Arkhan mostly loving hate him, given that he's the reason that they're all mummies). I'd also expect some new undead.

He himself would likely be a monstrous-sized, earthshatteringly powerful caster lord with Lore of Vampires and possibly some Death, Shadows, or even Dark magic(because he made Necromancy by learning Dark magic and loving around with it, effectively), as well as probably some titanic bonuses to leading various undead units. Magically he should be able to equal or surpass every other caster in the game with few exceptions; he's one of the strongest mortal casters who ever lived even before he became a lich, at which point he was functionally a demigod even before AoS(when he becomes an actual god).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Well, if I'd pick one to put the moeny towards it'd be Thanquol. Nagash doesn't seem like he'd require as much of a performance as just a guy that sounds a certain way (and effects to further that). Does he have a personality or is he just an evil guy?

Nagash is *incredibly* arrogant, so they could probably do some fun stuff with him if they wanted. He's not going to be pulling Skeletor "myaaaaahs" but they could easily go with something like "substantially more evil Settra".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Having to actually pay attention to the campaign objective feels like a step up for me from TWW2, honestly. I actually enjoyed the time pressure to get off your rear end and do things that might not be optimal from an empire-building standpoint but were necessary to stay ahead in the race, and it was hugely disappointing to me when I found out that doing so was mostly a waste of time because you were much better off if you didn't bother.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah pretty much, the only exception is LLs that get some good discounts like Teclis and Gelt (but base Metal kinda sucks so even though Gelt is head and shoulders above other Metal casters it just makes him 'good' compared to casters in general).

Metal has Final Transmutation and Searing Doom, which are both aces - it really only "sucks" in comparison to the good wind spells(Burning Head, Wind of Death, Pendulum) which mostly get bajillions of kills simply because the AI knows how to dodge bombardment spells but has literally no response to line-based winds for some reason.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Thanquol's particular bonus was great. Normal Skaven casters could pay to bring warpstone tokens, which let them throw additional power dice for every one they chose to eat when they cast a spell - but if they rolled 1 on the warpstone token dice it would hurt them. Thanquol was so used to inhaling infinite amounts of magic rat cocaine that he bypassed this penalty altogether.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The easiest way to balance the barrier is to just do the same thing they did with healing and put a cap on amount regenerated per battle. It's basically the same problem, so the same solution should work fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I don't see it. Aren't the barriers about 1/10th the total health of the unit? Isn't that a pittance? What's the issue?

Having a rapidly regenerating overshield warps a lot of damage types. Artillery and magic, in particular, have huge issues doing damage to Tzeentch troops in general because most strong magic is a one-and-done(thus getting soaked by the barrier, which then regenerates) and, counting missed shots, most artillery doesn't hit fast enough to break the barrier and put real damage on. If you can't put constant sustained damage on Tzeentch units they're effectively immortal.

In singleplayer it apparently makes the campaign boring as hell because all of your units are completely invincible with the tiniest bit of micro(as in not legend cheese micro, just basic "disengage a unit when its barrier runs out and replace it with a fresh one, repeat") and in multiplayer field battles it makes Tzeentch completely insane because it's really easy to have a unit regen its barrier to full five or six times in one fight, making all the Tzeentch units impossibly durable for their cost.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd actually like to see what Protoss would have looked like if their shields regenerated to full after 10 seconds of not being shot by a marine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Whoof early game Cathay feels dire to me. You're playing dwarfs except your units are way shittier, your tier 2 artillery are cannons instead of catapults(cannons aren't bad but catapults are waaaay better for smashing low tier stacks early game), and your characters(outside of the dragon siblings, who are incredible) are all comically frail nerds.

It's not particularly unwinnable but it feels like a huge slog on VH/H.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

No, it wasn't. That size was large. I believe SFO might have balanced for ultra though.

Yeah, WH2 was 100% balanced for large sizes. I believe they've said TWW3 is balanced for Ultra, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I got it unpacked last night, but just clicked through some menus before going to bed.

It confirmed that Cathay characters don’t have quest battles for legendary items. I wonder why that happened.

They're so strong that they don't really need anything, at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I really don't understand the campaign tiering. For Kislev, you can get every unit at tier 4 except for Ice Guard(Spears) - which are available at T4 with a building in Kislev - and the Elemental Bear, which, fair, it's their capstone giant monster.

Cathay needs to wait until T5 for Terracotta Sentinels(fair, it's their capstone giant monster), Longma Riders(uhh what? why???), and the Sky Junk(which, uh, it's a worse fire rain rocket battery that flies very very slowly).

It sucks because Longmas are the only mobility option for Cathay that's worth a single poo poo and god almighty am I getting tired of doing town battles without more of them because the maps are so goddamned big and Jade Warriors are so goddamned slow.

(Incidentally I think their answer to "no one uses cavalry in campaign" is "make the settlement maps the size of Siberia so marching infantry across them takes 25 minutes")

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Re: minor settlement towers:

You can seriously just ignore the towers as long as you keep advancing. They will hurt you a bit, but unless you're on a knife's edge for victory or defeat the damage they do will absolutely not tip the scales. For reference I left a peasant bowman unit standing still in range of a cathay tower for like a full minute and a half because I forgot about it since I was microing on three fronts and the unit only lost like 2/3rds of its members before breaking and running.

The general theme of TWW3 settlement battles seems to be that you're always intended to take some degree of damage from tipping a town over, unlike in TWW1 and 2 where it was really, really easy to not.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I think the big issue with them is that the piercing towers are sort of equally good at killing very expensive units and very cheap ones, so they hurt more if they focus on a high end unit, and their range lets them countersnipe quite effectively. That said you can knock them down with a couple of arrow volleys so you can do that too. This is also why I tend to favour putting most of the force in one place because pushing forward is difficult, so it's generally preferable I think to try and crush the bulk of the enemy in one attack, so you aren't getting attritioned as they fall back (and they do fall back, as well as placing units in likely choke points to prevent you spreading out from your initial attack location and they will bring those in as reserves once you commit)

I don't really agree with putting most of your force in one place because the extreme narrowness of most of the settlement streets means that it becomes impossible to actually get your units into combat if they're all in a big pile. Your melee guys will be stuck at 2 or 3 units in combat at the most, and your ranged units will trip over themselves trying to fire due to a combination of the AI making GBS threads itself with the weird line of sight in streets which is made worse when units overlap on each other. Yeah, it causes the enemies to concentrate, but what this means is you end up with a big rugby scrum where most of your army is literally waiting in line to fight.

If you come in from multiple angles, more of your units can actually be in there dealing damage, which allows you to both actually take points and to actually defeat the enemy much, much faster(and thus cut down on stuff like tower attrition). I've run the first couple of minor settlement battles as Katarin a few times to plot out her optimal start moves and the ones where I committed to multiple fronts always ended up with less losses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Playing the tutorial campaign right now, and my impression of Kislev is a faction that sounds cool on paper but in actual combat it's tricky to play on tutor strengths. When I think 'hybrid' unit I think versatile, but the units don't feel as versatile in practice so far. Some of them get absolutely shredded in melee despite appearing like they should at least hold their own.

I get the impression you're meant to use the support buildings and heroes to augment the performance of your forces.

From my time with Kislev I think the 'hybrid' designation is pretty misleading. Yes, most of their units have both a melee and a ranged attack, but for every unit they are much better at one than the other - Kossars will get rocked if you try to commit them to melee against melee troops, Armored Kossars don't have enough ammo to actually play a ranged game but are a good strong frontline, Streltsi melee is mostly a funny gimmick and they're pretty much just Armored Handgunners. Ice Guard are the only true hybrid infantry in the roster, imo, but they're T4+ so they should be flexible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

On VH/VH, it's not too hard to wipe out the Ropsmenn very quickly with judicious use of ambush stance and a bait boyar(baityar?) following Katarin around to lure them out of their towns to die. Your army is ludicrously good for a starting stack and you're going to be filling it with nothing but low tier cheap archers because that's all that's available so field battles are an auto-win. This also kills two birds with one stone, because you'll absolutely want to be leveling a secondary lord ASAP for when Katarin has to go on her magic carpet ride to hell.

You can take the whole oblast and then reach Praag and knock it over by the mid teens - generally by 14 or 15 is feasible if you get perfect RNG, if the Baersonlings decide to gently caress with you a bunch it'll be a couple turns later. Losing a town or two in the oblast temporarily isn't the end of the world compared to getting your hands on Praag ASAP to get it growing, IMO.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does Nurgle's towns work? The label that says that it kills the town after a while has me nervous

Playing as Korne, it's certainly less versatile than Chaos Undivided but honestly there are just too many units in CU. The infantry has a lot of overlap and it's confusing to put an army together. Yes I'm a big baby that doesn't want to learn the roles of a whole extra 20 units.

Here's some basic summaries of a lot of the important units:

Chaff units:
-Blue Horrors are terrible in melee trash fodder that have a marginally decent short ranged missile weapon with low ammo.
-Nurglings are much more durable fodder that basically exists as a tarpit, which they're good at being.

Basic line daemons(the exalted ones are literally the same as the normal ones but better in every way):
-Bloodletters are ridiculously killy anti-infantry, but are fragile.
-Daemonettes are super fast(for infantry), have almost entirely armor piercing damage, and have devastating flanker so they're great can openers/flankers. Also fragile.
-Plaguebearers are ridiculously slow and don't kill well at all but are ridiculously tanky.
-Pink Horrors are pretty decent missile troops that have okay melee stats in a pinch.

Cavalry:
-Bloodcrushers are bloodletter cavalry and do the same thing as bloodletters do - turn infantry into paste.
-Seekers of Slaanesh are super duper fast devastating flanker cav with tons of AP.
-Plague Toads are cheap Nurgle anti-infantry cav(though they're not very fast) that are pretty tanky.

Misc:
-Flamers of Tzeentch are warpfire throwers/irondrakes from TWW2 on ten tons of crack. Fragile, but they will turn units into puddles of goo in one of two volleys.
-Fiends of Slaanesh work kind of like Chaos Spawn if Chaos Spawn moved at the speed of light and had devastating flanker.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Man, Slaanesh is fun in field battles, but kinda miserable in settlement/sieges. How am I supposed to flank anything when the whole place is just narrow streets with barricades plastered everywhere?

You split up your army and go in from multiple directions at once - every settlement has multiple entry paths. As a bonus, Slaanesh is so fast that if the AI overloads one entryway and it looks too sloggy to cut through you can literally go "eh whatever" and zoom across the map to a weaker entrance while they try desperately to catch up. Once you've got forces in the city from more than one angle it's really easy to converge and crush isolated enemy units.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

They're also made of paper, kind of a weird unit honestly, probably quite good against enemies that are pure melee but if anything with any kind of ranged attack so much as looks at iron hail gunners they just disintegrate which is everyone in cathay and also the tzeenchy buggers, so I stopped using them in favour of more jade crossbows which lack the punch but you get a lot longer to shoot at poo poo and also they can stand being shot/punched back.

I like that cathay with a combination of skills and techs will eventually get 200 range crossbow guys, really makes them a good thing to invest into.

Now crane gunners on the other hand I do quite like, great for picking off lords and the like, same as jezzails. Except they can also go on walls for the extra range bonus.

I find Iron Hails to not be handgunner replacements - they're more like a weird sort of close range damage-pushing unit. They are terrible at doing the things handgunners do due to their lack of range, but their raw damage output means that they really shine at putting down nasty stuff that hits your line. Jade Warriors will get smoked by, say, ogres, but a unit or two of Iron Hails standing behind the warriors can simply shoot the ogres dead once they get tarpitted.

I guess the closest analogy I can think of to normal TWW unit roles I can think of is they're similar to the symbiotic relationship between monstrous infantry and chaff - just like Crypt Horrors love having skeletons/zombies to tank for them, or trolls love having gobbos, or kroxigors love having skinks, Iron Hails provide functional DPS for your jade warriors and spearmen. I like to include one for every 3 or so units of melee(which usually balances out to 2-3 units in a stack).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Lol Skrag's quest battle is a full stack of every anti-large unit in the skaven roster backed up by a second full stack of night runners and slingers

Katarin's quest battle consists of you getting ambushed from 20 feet away by an entire high tier tzeentch stack that starts in firing/charge range. It's extremely "fun" and definitely not just a lovely gotcha guaranteed to desolate your army.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I wonder if some of the gently caress you stuff like this is because they're aiming for difficult battles to be shown off on stream more than something most players will actually enjoy.

I normally actually like difficult gimmick battles, too, but Katarin's is just kaizo romhack nonsense. If you're running a low tier stack(which you probably will be when you first run into it, since it unlocks at level 10), what on earth do you do to outplay starting in charge range of 2 doom knights, a soul grinder, 2 chaos knights of tzeentch, and 2 forsaken while also being in firing range of 2 flamers, an exalted flamer, and like 8 pink horrors from all sides while you're in ambush column formation?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Upgraded Heart of Winter murders everything in its radius with no hope of them getting away if they're in combat already because of the slow. I beelined it and it killed the Screamers, Chaos Knights and Doom Knights after they all charged in. She got 3000 value just from that cast.

Everyone saying Tempest is the premier lore for Kislev needs to try it imo. A no-FF aoe spell that slows and does that much damage is crazy good. Katarin casts it at a discount too.

I mean that's great but heart of winter deals with one of the eight directions you're being hit from. It's absolutely beatable but if you're running a mostly kossar stack you're going to lose most of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly after playing a bunch I haven't really found a faction that clicks with me in TWW3.
  • Kislev is *close*, but after playing a ton of them I've sick to loving death of using kossar blobs but it's all you can really afford and maintain for most of their campaign. It's a shame because I'd say the only actually poor units in their roster are Armored Kossars, but you simply can't afford to use most of the roster in any numbers for the majority of the campaign due to how many fires you have to be putting out necessitating running multiple stacks.
  • Cathay is also okay but doing town attacks and sieges with them makes me want to die IRL because their melee troops are so loving horrible and their cavalry units are utterly embarrassing.
  • Ogres are fun on the battlefield but the meat mechanic reminds me of food from release TWW2 skaven - an incredibly annoying and limiting albatross around your neck that feels like a fun tax. It also makes the already questionable chaos realms even more "fun" for them.
  • Tzeentch's armies would be extremely fun to pilot except CA completely forgot to give the faction any sort of replenishment at all so you can never make any mistakes or click autoresolve or your army is basically scrapped.
  • Slaanesh also has almost no replenishment to work with just like Tzeentch, except unlike Tzeentch they actually have to engage in melee combat and don't have bullshit barriers. Again, super fun to pilot on the battlefield but utterly let down by CA somehow forgetting replenishment is an important thing for a faction to have.
  • Nurgle is possibly one of the worst designed player campaign armies I've ever played. Every battle against a faction with ranged units consists of you taking enormous casualties simply to engage in melee in the first place, whereupon you will take more casualties slowly grinding them down with your poo poo tier damage output. Fighting Tzeentch as this faction should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. The only point at which playing them becomes not horrible is when you get the vanguard deployment plague, at which point they become somewhat acceptable.
  • Khorne is so strong that you can box select your army and A move at the enemy and win, and his campaign mechanics are Taurox on steroids except you also get tons of free armies. Fun to play but so strong it's like a cheat code.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a shame because Kislev has the roster with the least dud units of any faction I've played in the series but their economy and the requirement for them to build churches literally everywhere means that they don't really have the gold or space to actually use it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I don't agree with the assesment that the only armies Kislev can afford to field are Kossar spam armies, while it's probably true that might be the most efficient army, that's true for basically any warhammer 2 faction and beyond with access to bow and other arcing fire missile units with good range, that's just the nature of the ranged spam meta. Doesn't mean you have to play like that.

My two main armies with Kislev (this is me owning Kislev, Praag and the Eastern Oblast) are Katarin's army which is about 6 Ice Guard, 1 Patriarch, 1 Tempest maiden (she's actually mostlya campaign agent, but I put her in the army every now and then), 1 Snow Leopard, 2 heavy bear sleds, 3 Gryphon Legion, 2 Tzar Guard and 1 Little Grom, the other is led by a Boyar who's been doing a lot of work, he's leading 4 horse archers, 6 winged lancers, 1 Ice maiden, 4 streltsy and 5 spear kossars.

Holding onto Erengrad necessitates at least an additional full stack because of the norscans and possible daemons of chaos faction over there. Even if you don't expand beyond Kislev(as in the country)'s borders itself, you might also need a fourth and fifth stack depending on if Skrag and Mannfred roll up the Empire and start causing problems. I also had one campaign where the greenskins from the east got really aggro and started pouring into the oblast. Also I've found that once the monogod factions become aware of you in the rifts they will start beelining your territory from various directions.

Katarin can handle a big ice guard doomstack and Boris can handle a war bear doomstack due to their titanic upkeep reductions, but you end up needing so many armies just to hold on to what you have from getting gangbanged from every direction that eventually units like gryphon legion just become an unreasonable expense.

It's not even a matter of their other units being inefficient or off-meta. Sleds, Little Grom, and War Bears are all excellent units. Streltsi are decent(but overpriced). Their cav are also okay, for the most part.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 21, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Heard that "Cathay infantry is weak" and real quick question: you're shadowing them with a ranged unit for harmony, right? Cathay infantry holds like Dwarves. It is a pain to keep it clean up the streets in a settlement when you're offense and advancing but the infantry isn't the problem.

Their infantry hold perfectly fine but they have functionally no offensive power so in situations where infantry having offensive power is a big benefit(wall fights, street fights) they fall short. Cathay takes a lot longer to do the settlement/siege battles that comprise 70% of your fights, which is unfortunate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

You need to use more yin.

One offense, one defense.

Their crossbows do an incredible amount of damage.

So an infantry with a crossbow behind it in a street fight is incredibly strong.

I mean, yeah, this is pretty much the only way to actually win street fights with them. It's still a lot slower than other factions whose infantry does damage and who have the mobility to reliably hit from multiple angles.

I'm not saying Cathay can't win settlement battles, I'm just saying that it's a shame that they're way slower at doing so than every other faction(except Nurgle, lol) in a way that adds up to a whole lot of time across a campaign. I wouldn't have an issue with it if you got to fight more field battles(where Cathay's hold em and shoot em gameplay shines) but CA has once again managed to give us Total War: Siege Battles.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 21, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

“I’m so sick of siege battles!”

-Introduces campaign stuff that has lots of open field battles

“No! It can’t take me away from my sieges!”

CA somehow did the impossible and increased the number of sieges per campaign because now you literally can't fight a level 1 poo poo settlement without walking through a city maze for 15 minutes. :smithicide:

I started off really loving the minor settlement battles but at this point I've done so many that I'm so loving sick of them that I never want to see them again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I'm all about starting the game for my papa nurgle but I'm reading it's a hard campaign with bad units. Is that true?

The units are definitely terrible, but the campaign isn't actually that hard because you have a pretty safe/cozy start point and aren't being shanked from every single possible direction at once like, say, Kislev. Rush the Crumbling Ague plague - it gives you, among other things, vanguard deployment for your entire army, which means you can negate Nurgle's greatest problem of being shot to itty bitty pieces while waddling along at slower-than-dwarf speed.

As Catfish says, get the Tzeentch realm out of the way ASAP. Tzeentch is pretty much kryptonite for Nurgle's entire faction and you have absolutely no answer for anything Tzeentch has, and the realms scale in difficulty based on how late you do them, so you want to make sure Tzeentch's realm is set to mega baby mode or you're going to pray for death. The other daemon factions aren't so bad for you - Khorne and Slaanesh hit hard but they have to engage you in melee where your toughness and stacking debuffs actually matter and you can hit back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The realms of chaos being dickshredding slog-grinds would be better if they had commensurate rewards to feel like they're worth your time and effort. No, I don't mean the "take this reward and then tap out" consolation prizes that exist, I mean that you should be getting cool bonuses or rewards in the process of doing them so that the rifts opening is exciting and cool instead of "uggggggh god drat it".

For example, Tzeentch's realm would be way better if you got a payout or reward of some sort based on how many teleporters you explored and how many crapstacks you murdered, so if you rampaged through half the realm trying to find the right teleporter and then got beaten by an AI popping in and beelining the correct path instantly via cheats it would be a "well at least i was rewarded" moment rather than a "cool time to reload a 12 turns old save" moment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The settlement battles are lovingly crafted, fun, and interesting to play but somehow their design process did not consider how irritating and boring it would be to do one of them every single time you ever take a settlement in this game where 70-80% of all battles ever fought are settlement battles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Deleter posted:

I appear to be having the exact opposite experience of everybody here in that the game runs fine for me despite long load times and I'm enjoying the settlement battles and Realm of Chaos so :shrug:. Mortal Empires never did anything for me and Immortal Empires won't either. Oh, a massive map with insane turn times and your objectives are a scribbled set of question marks on a napkin? No thanks.

Insane turn times haven't been a thing in ME for like the last year or more.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

They also take pretty heavy damage from archers too, they are not, really, very threatening if you have anything that can actually attack them, they just take up attention.

Yeah towers are honestly not really major considerations in minor settlement battles imo. They're either completely ignorable or destructable, with only a few exceptions(mostly skaven settlements which have areas where 5+ towers have LOS on a lane). The AI will also always spam whatever the lowest tier one is rather than sticking the high tier ones down, as far as I've seen, so they always do tickle damage(well except for Nurgle's t1 towers, which are terrifying).

canada jezus posted:

I've won the confed race, which is why suddenly i'm losing three wars to chaos at once. I feel like i want way more armies than my economy can afford. Once i'm done with this campaign the empire is getting annexed though. Same with the dwarfs.

This is what I was talking about with kossar spam earlier. You need so many damned armies as Kislev just to keep Kislev intact that you'd best get used to spamming T1 archers because that's what you can afford!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There was absolutely a concerted effort to tone down the insane economies of TWW2 in this one. You have less things pulling at your money because supply lines aren't remotely as ludicrous anymore, but no one in TWW2 comes within a thousand miles of the high/dark elf economies or even a fully functioning Skaven economy.

Kislev's economic game is actually very strong by the standards of this game and they mostly struggle financially because they have by far the most "constantly attacked from all sides" campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly had a lot more fun with the vortex than I am with the realms. Tzeentch's realm is possibly one of the dumbest mechanics I've ever seen(and it's telling that most peoples' solution is "figure out the route and then reload to 10 turns earlier in the campaign") and all of the others are basically interchangeable "slog across lovely terrain fighting infinitely spawning stacks until you get to the boss battle at the end".

It's all completely divorced from what's actually going on on the campaign map in a way that is extremely bizarre, too. Nothing I do on the campaign map matters at all, in the slightest, except for my ability to provide a powerful doomstack for my LL. It's so incredibly weirdly disconnected. You could remove the entire campaign layer from the game and just make the entire game mode a "build your army out of money you earn from fighting a sequence of battles" thing and fundamentally nothing would actually change about how you approach it.

Uniting Kislev and defending it from all comers is cool and thematic but there's no real reason to do it besides "it's something to do while clicking end turn". What does confederating Kostaltyn do for you? Give you another LL to sit in your border garrisons, I guess.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like the extra difficulty and the AI actually being able to match some of your doomstacking, army-soloing legendary lords after they yoink some weapons from Khorne and you can't just snooze through the battles too much, I'd just like them to let me skip the mismatched battles more often.

Fighting battles in the chaos realms against the other LLs' premier stacks and barely pulling out wins by the skin of my teeth is the most fun I've had in TWW3, and the only thing I like about the current chaos realms is that they serve as a functional thunderdome for the nastiest army every faction can put on the field.

A shame about everything else about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

Game fun. The realms could have been cut in like half and still felt good, but the objectives are oriented to letting you play more tall and stable instead of paint the map which the mortal factions all are themed around (and the demons want to pillage anyway) so it works.

The problem is that it goes too far the other way. There is almost no incentive to expand, at all, beyond being able to financially support a doomstack and a defensive stack to hold your land while your lord is doing realm stuff. Like even taking control over Kislev feels like a bit of a pointless overstretch - the Praag/Oblast/Kislev triangle can easily support a decent Katarin stack and a decent defensive stack and is a small enough territory that that and some garrison buildings is all you need, whereas if you expand to the northern oblast and take/confederate western Kislev you'll need 2-3 more stacks to hold onto it(which means lower quality armies because your income won't scale as fast as your expenses, even with nerfed supply lines). Holding tons of territory doesn't help you win the campaign and generally just makes it harder because you have more portals to close, more angles to be attacked from.

quote:

The lack of a designated melee hero for Kislev and Cathay beyond generic lords which, in particular for Kislev, you don't want to use over your buff witches, also really hurts. Although maybe that is my habit of using them as the anti-large and anti-lord option for other rosters.

My experience with Kislev is kind of the opposite; I think that the Ice Witch lords are actually total crap unless you roll very specific traits. They have zero casting benefits over the hero version(seriously, not even greater conduit or a loremaster trait???) but have red/blue lines to dilute their spellcasting points and are terrible squishy nerds in combat. Boyars provide some tanky strong martial hero punch the faction otherwise completely lacks, and you can slap a frost maiden with them to provide the same(or better, since she has nothing to put points into besides spells) spellcasting oomph.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 21, 2022