Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They ended the original setting, Warhammer Fantasy, and made a new one as sort of a sequel called Age of Sigmar which has it's own factions and armies. Total Warhammer is set in the Fantasy setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I suppose it was inevitable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5etbxXaEXk

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, some dweeb rear end nitpicks but lots of examples of bad siege pathfinding and some units getting frozen in melee. At this rate I might wait till AFTER work to play this

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know, I wonder if the tutorial is a glimpse at what is envisioned for Three Kingdoms 2: 6 Kingdoms

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah graphic glitches are a whatever, the pathfinding is a big one but I didn't notice all that much in the streams I watched so we'll see. The fighting thing and the charge reflect are the ones that look really nasty to me, it seems like those sort of bugs are really hard to excise, we had to go through an entire beta patch cycle to sorta fix the cavalry in TW2. That said a new game has a lot more QA budget than a sunsetting one, I cope

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder if the rifts being teleporters is why they decided to have them on forever after winning? edit: Oh, nevermind bad info

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It sounds like building wide might be the best option to stop other factions from winning the campaign (by killing them), but it also sounds like you can stop them in the chaos realms as well. I do really like that the other factions try to win, I enjoyed the vortex campaign and how you would see the others doing rituals even if you weren't in the race itself.

I guess it all depends on how it's tuned after the game is released. Like I'm not super concerned if it's really annoying on legendary personally, but it's still not great for legendary players. And if it's a pain on normal that's gonna be bad, Just wanna get my hands on it give me the game I want the game where is the game

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tzeentch has pretty crap replenishment, so messing with the shield will need to take that into account

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Verify the integrity of the game cache yall

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Game rules so far, runs fine but a bit rougher than 2 though I've not fiddled with settings yet, new UI is nice and crisp and the red looks better than I thought it would, prologue campaign was very cool

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hobs have always been singled out as a separate thing in lore, so I'd count that as a neutral fact myself.

Wild speculation: I think we'd be more likely to get Hobs (as a separate polity*) if we'd seen more 'sub' factions that have a truncated unit list or even a couple unique units. Now we do kinda have this, in that not all empire factions have the full roster and some greenskins have a smaller unit pool, but it was mainly Brettonia in early WH1 that was built that way. Since I don't really see the Hobs getting fleshed out into a full faction, I also don't think CA will place them on the map as their own faction with just a half dozen picks of hobs and some greenskins.

THAT SAID, the outpost system does make it at least a little more likely. Buddy up with a minor faction that has a special unique cool unit only they can recruit, and use your outposts to get it for yourself, that type of thing. That's more of a mod thing, though, I doubt CA would justify building a new unit that players can only control themselves in that specific circumstance. Unless it was a special re-skin like elector troops.

*lmao

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm holding off on hot takes including my own on mechanics for a week or two because if literally every single DLC release is anything to go by people with totally arghy up any new mechanic and proclaim it busted

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tiny thing but I really like the new click confirmation sounds. It's the three kingdoms sound slightly crunchier isn't it?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you are kislev you have a provincial commandment that will slow down enemy armies

Also, keep in mind there is no benefit to offering sweet deals to the AI. In Three Kingdoms if you signed a deal the AI loved you'd get extra good rep with them from however much more positive opinion they had of the deal. This is not the case in Warhams 3, so you should always auto-balance the deal to get more money, they won't treat you any nicer for giving them a bargain. I guess taking money from them does weaken them a little, but that's a super-fringe edge case where that would ever become relevant

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

First go through in the chaos realms and I was really down on it. Went into nurgles realm and ate tons of attrition damage, got really nasty trait, and while it was cool to watch the AI's also punch through the nurglites their replenishment was much better and they weren't even really slowed down by them. Got kicked out by skarbrand and had to sit in a garrison for 6-7 turns to burn off the entirety of the bad trait, meanwhile all kinds of chaos corruption was loving my lands and neighbors

Second time around I was prepared. Katarina grabbed several anti-attrition and replenishment skills, and I activated the replenishment invocation when I went through the portal. I had two heroes and an army positioned around my territories, and they quickly sewed everything up internally before anything more than agents could come through the rifts, and then I sent them to help out my neighbors. Katarina's stack was able to take several fights and heal up rapidly in between them, and we made it out with a soul and only the first level of the bad trait. I'm actually really liking it now, although I can definitely see why people aren't liking having to plan around it

Also as an aside, the Demon Prince is eating poo poo this playthrough and I'm loving it. He got jumped by the Druzhina enclave the first time he showed up, and then during Bear Roar 2 he showed up in the chaos realms three turns late with a pathetic quarter stack and immediately got dumpstered by the locals

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm like 80% sure two Tzeentch factions confederated, course that doesn't necessarily mean a player can do it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah dont worry about the kislev rivalry as katarina, just slap a supporter building in each minor settlement, its good for devotion and order anyways. Kos (or some say, Kostaltyn) has an initial lead but unless he balls out hard he'll be plateaued on supporter income pretty quickly

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Have a hero or two follow around enemy LLs and close the gates before they can enter. The shoe is finally on the other foot you fuckers

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Heros can cheaply and easily wipe out the portals before any armies spawn

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dramicus posted:

It's still a bunch of unnecessary busywork which gets harder as you expand. The AI is a lot more aggressive in attacking your borders. So you've got external and internal threats to deal with that just gets exponentially harder to deal with the more territory you have.

This is my main complaint. Yes if you just sit in Kislev and don't expand further, it's easy to deal with. The game incentivizes you to just sit in a small territory and do nothing but hit end turn until the next wave of gates.

It's very easy to play wide if you make heroes to pop the portals. They always show up in the same place so in many cases one hero can cover three+ provinces without sweating it. Armies stay on the borders, expanding and defending, which is what they are doing anyways

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm liking the realm of chaos. Greasus was ahead of me in Tzeentch's realm but he got annihilated by the locals, then Kairos showed up late and had to watch me snag the soul. Skarbrand, the demon prince, and kugath wont be showing up this round because they're either wounded or I blew all their portals before they could get in.

Things I would change:

1) The realms trait is still really nasty. I get its thematic but re-jiggering the capital closest to where your hero will return is annoying. I would either have it automatically drop a step every turn once you're out and forgo the trait healing buildings, or if it has to stick around and be healed have it drop to the lowest level first. Or leave just a negative red trait that does nothing but has some flavor text if we want to go all narrative

2) People seem to struggle with using heroes to clean up the portals, Maybe create some sort of province capital anti corruption building that prevents the local portal from opening, to help those people out

3) if the ai wins, play a sad cutscene and give the winner a nice buff but dont end the campaign, let me beat them up

Side note it is pretty cool that khornes realm is basically ork Valhalla planet

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Any major province capital works. You don't mean your starting faction capital, right?

Yeah, I usually have my leader pushing the frontier, so it's like "okay, blowout soon, where is the closest province capital that I can get a trait burner into".

quote:

Less a struggle and more no sign from the game that it's an option. It's really easy to play the game without heroes on the map since you're naturally guided towards how super useful they are in armies. The advisor really needs to clearly state on the first rift spawn "you only need to enter 1 portal, armies approaching a portal attract daemonic attention, a clever agent can seal the portal quietly at the cost of expensive reagents." Bam.

Yeah that's a good idea and I should be less catty about it; I almost never use heroes and when I do its almost always in armies and almost never in their capacity as a map unit. So normally I'd be struggling with this as well

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think all defensive buildings (and possibly just the act of besieging itself? Need to test) give more supplies to the defender for each turn they're under siege, so keep that in mind if you're trying to bleed them down with attrition for a bit, might not be worth it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think I'm going to hold off until the upkeep fix, I have a neighbor I really want to confederate but I fear the hidden supply lines

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I didnt bother with any invocations until mid-late game and just slapped a chapel in each place I took, beat him to 50 by a couple turns and just kept going from there. Its really just that first faction that you need to fight so once they're down you should gain ground easily

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think checking for skaven counts as a treasure hunt

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess I'll just jump back in then, I was holding off for some stuff I thought would be relatively quick to fix but looks like it'll be a awhile

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Preface I actually really like the realm of chaos, I also like the vortex race ( although I liked it more when I would see the AIs doing it and I didn't have to bother hah) ,

The thing is though, (and I have no numbers on this but I'm just assuming it's true in typical games fashion), people who liked the vortex kinda liked it. People who didnt like the vortex loving HATED it.

But the vortex race had the advantage in that you dont have to deal with it really. You'll still see the AI get effected by the chaos incursions and you'll have that final battle, but other than that you can map paint as you want

Realm of Chaos doesn't give you that option, which considering I'm assuming the same kinda like/despise dichotomy exists means that haters get the thing they hate thrown in their face multiple times a game. And yeah, if you build some heroes and do some basic planning it's pretty easy, but that doesn't change that you still have to engage with it on a higher level than you did with the vortex. It also doesnt just effect the people in the race itself unlike the vortex, it effects the entire map, especially your neighbors who don't deal with things as good as you do.

I do think its fixable though. My additional dumb ideas that I have also stolen: Lowering the amount of portals has knock-on effects where it will be harder for LLs to find a portal to enter, but I still think that's where they should start. Make the final roars effect everywhere sure, but have it ramp up over time.

Always give cool poo poo for going into the chaos realm. It doesnt have to be Slaanesh level, but if I lose a soul I should feel like I want to get it next time, not that I should just reload. Change the corruption trait so that it's mostly a good thing with a small negative and some corruption. gently caress we could even spin it as loreful; all the Chaos gods want to gently caress with Belakor, and they all want a piece of bear god and are willing to tempt you and aid you.

gently caress, maybe the AI ONLY gets to enter the portals when the player decides to. They don't have the advisor helping them, so plot wise maybe they are using a shittier version of the ritual that has more limitations. That same idea can get stretched to a lot of things. Have the interception actually knock a soul off of the person you beat. Keep that dingus down for another couple dozen turns. Etc etc

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know, I bet the metrics showed that most people started a new campaign after completing the vortex race, which is why they didnt put much thought into winning the bear race. But I think Bear is a much more concrete goal that people would have liked to see the ramifications of

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

the forest has been quiet as of late....

Historically accurate

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In the quest for sensation I installed SFO many times and each time I liked it less. It's better than Radious, but Radious does have a certain idiotic charm

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

3K's recruitment and redeployment systems made losing a stack much less ruinous. So yeah it absolutely was better about having the AI pick fights, but I'm wondering if in an alternate more aggro Warhams universe we're complaining about stacks like this in midgame

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The first big DLCs for 3k (8 princes and mandate of heaven) sold like gangbusters, it's when they went into the various extra startdates that things dipped. I'm not sure how well the Nanman did, but aside from a possible northern expansion that was the only Warhammer race pack esque exciting content they could have dropped so I'm guessing that's why they stopped progressing the timeline.

And yeah it was admirable that they overall tried to make it so that new mechanics weren't locked into a specific start date but that also made getting most DLC's on release not all that compelling

Like I'm a RotK player so the same map over and over with different starting makeups is right up my alley but it's not all that exciting on it's own to most people I think

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 22, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Slaanesh was famously so unhappy about winning that they gorged on elf souls out of anger and went into a coma of despair (Archeon is an immensely stupid person)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I'd love to be able to have weirdo versions of factions. Bizarro Empire, hater of dwarfs, pro-Chaos. Naggarond and Ulthuan team-up.

Actually that is a neat mod idea; There was a mod for Fall Of the Samurai that had each country randomly get shogun, emperor, or republic allegiance each new game

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It definitely FELT like in hams 1 and 2 there were flags/triggers that would cause the AI to go into imperialism mode. I dont know if it was a scripted thing or a Confluence Of Factors (cities fully upgraded? Flush with cash?), I just remember mid-late game Hams 1 wood elves going berserk

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Black crag and Karaz a Karak are both real close to the frontlines, black crag especially theres been a number of times where I've been able to take it but not neccesarily hold it because theres a lot more orc out there but long term they're severely diminished. Of course that doesnt mean the overall point isnt mostly right, its capitals and big cities and in 3k food provinces that are the ones that matter the most

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Units you are using from allies should always be “weaker” than your own units in some way. You shouldn’t be able to use fully powered up units that aren’t naturally yours.

Agreed although this would be a solid niche for a new LL: red buffs effecting ally units and extra ally unit slots and so on

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It would be the Chorfiest Timeline if the game got 2 surprise never before played factions on release and then petered out before the blatantly telegraphed first DLC of Chorfs could drop. Its the only reason I have game abandonment listed as 'very unlikely' instead of 'extremely unlikely'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That sounds like a really great 40k spinoff game tbh

"Krumpya Krimzooma nevah zogged another git" *embeds choppa in skull*