Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Mode 7 posted:

The stuff from the prior games carries forward if you own it right? In one of the game modes or something?

Basically what I want to know is if I can play as vampire pirates in TW:W3 cause that sounds great.

That's funny, I just started a Cylostra campaign for the first time and it might actually delay me installing TWW3 because VCoast is too much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
As someone who's pretty lore ignorant, were Chosen always just a WoC only unit? It feels weird that the chosen of the chaos gods don't actually make the roster of any of them, but chaos warriors and marauders are represented.

At least with WoC holding territory now you can theoretically ally with them and build an Outpost if you want Chosen or Hellcannons.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Probably an extremely dumb question, but if you're behind in the souls race (I have one soul as Demon Prince at turn 80, one of the Cathay factions has two and I have no way to get from Kislev to their region quickly) do I just have to park my LL in the Forge of Souls and wait for them to go in? I lost a game at turn 155 yesterday and I want to avoid having to start over again, but I'm not really sure what I can do beyond hoping to luck out on beating the AI to the next round of souls.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Playing a game as Daemon Prince right now with that Slaanesh Paramour follower that buffs growth in your main provinces and reduces enemy public order by 50 in enemy territories is a blast even if I'm a soul behind in the Great Game. I'm honestly not sure I can win the soul race long term but being able to teleport to the leader's capital and start a chain of rebellions when the portals open does spice the game up.

Is the game over if a faction makes it into the forge of souls before me though? Cathay currently has three souls, and I'm not exactly sure how intercepting then works since going into the Forge of Souls just puts you on a platform that you can't move from. I assume that if another faction makes it in before me with all four souls, I can't actually catch them.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Broken Cog posted:

Halt Faction is overtaking Transfer Settlement as my favourite Kairos' "Changing of the Ways" ability.

"Oh, you have 3 armies raiding and harassing one of my border regions that you plan on retreating the second I bring a serious army close?" Well, GUESS WHAT

It's probably fun to use but Broken Wheel halted me three times while my LL was in the Nurgle chaos realm and I'm pretty mad at that mechanic

I'm ahead in the soul race now though and about to claim my fourth as the Daemon Prince, my army is mostly Nurgle and khorne soul grinders with a Doom Knight air force and I am pumped as hell to finally get to that agonizing final battle

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I hope that Belakor is a playable lord from the beginning in Immortal Empires for chaos undivided over the Daemon Prince, even without any unit buffs he's still fun to play as a 12k HP, 90 MD flying tank that can drop Pit of Shades and Pendulums. It's kind of bizarre playing him after the game is over when your hardest battles are likely behind you.

It's going to be interesting seeing where this game goes over the next few months considering how radically races like the Skaven changed over the course of TWW2, but it feels like a long road to any of the new races being as interesting. As others have said, IM in its current state would lead to races of the second game just obliterating races from TWW3 due to the step down in power everything seems to have been hit with.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wonder if they'll make it so it will be like Vlad/Isabella, Karl/Volkmar, and Throgrim/Grombrindal where you ca use the same start position for Belakor or Build-A-Demon?

Ideally yeah, but given how Satoriel was never made available in the campaign, I'm concerned CA is going to pull that again and forget about him when it comes to importing stuff to IE. He should be the lord for Chaos Undivided obviously, but considering everyone gets him as an end of game reward, I could see him just not getting assigned to a faction at all.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Jarvisi posted:

The demon prince is weak because he inst dies to any archers or any sort of ranged almost instantly. It's weird as hell how fast he melts.

He has a weird power curve where he's pretty strong in the first 20-30 turns if you give him the horns with gorefeast, the pestilent decay wings, and any tail with the 'serpentine tail' effect that allows him to just damage everything he's in melee combat with, while the gorefeat effect heals him. If you have barrier on him too, it'll soften the damage he takes flying over to whatever ranged units are pelting him, and he'll be back at full soon after he can land and engage.

Mid game he's really bad, you don't get any sets that are much better than the stuff you got in the early game, but now most armies are running with better ranged units that will cut you down before you get there, so you're relegated to waiting for your ground units to engage and then rear charging stuff. Definitely feels more like a lovely hero than a legendary lord at that point.

Later on, you're almost forced to pledge allegiance to undivided, since pledging to any one of the four cap the amount of favor you can get with the other gods, and you'll lose access to their tier 4 and 5 units. The undivided set will give you 150-160 armor depending on what your head piece is, and 40% physical resistance on your lord and a 20% bonus for everything in your army. Your weapon strength is going to be below average and those resistances don't mean a lot against demons, but in the post game I was just flying him solo into Cathay stacks and pelting the rest of their army with nurgle soul grinders from a distance. He wouldn't kill much due to the below average MA and weapon strength, but he's tough enough to tank most of what's thrown at him then, and you can keep gorefeast on top of it so he regens as long as he's in melee combat.

He's weaker than pretty much every exalted demon, but being able to fly and be tanky makes him passable in the late game, and at that point his upkeep reduction means he'll be leading one hell of a doomstack. He just won't be doing much of the damage himself. It's pretty unfortunate and a bizarre design choice to not let him equip items like potion of healing or ancillaries, since his campaign movement range is really going to fall behind lords that can get banners to supplement the route marcher skill. I've said it before but it really is a shame that he's leading undivided and not Belakor, who actually is a very powerful lord that can equip normal weapons and stuff. This would be a much different game if Belakor lead undivided from the beginning and Demon Prince was the campaign antagonist for the better.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Collapsing Farts posted:

I really didn't mind the realm of chaos campaign the first go around. It was something new and interesting

but with every new playthrough it becomes a chore

I hope the realms of chaos are in Immortal Empires as well in some form, I just don't want them to be obligatory

Yeah some way to get the Khorne weapons or Slaanesh rewards (and maybe making the Nurgle or Tzeentch rewards decent/permanent) would be an interesting choice vs keeping your LL on the campaign map responding to stuff. Making it a bonus and not a lose condition on a less DO IT NOW OR ELSE mechanic could make it a lot of fun.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How did they gently caress it up so badly? They just needed to copy/paste wh2 onto a bigger map.

They needed to justify the $60 price tag I guess, but you're right. They could have just released the game 3 races as DLC to TWW2 with some map updates, that would have made for a much better and less laggy game overall.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Ethiser posted:

I think lorewise you can have duck, or any animal, Beastmen, they are just alway modeled as cow/goat people to make the army look cohesive.

Yeah the subreddit had a thread up a few days ago about penguin beastman mutants that apparently scared the poo poo out of Archaeon. They'd be a good antagonist if you wanted a chaos race coming up from the south.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Sinteres posted:

Vortex was much easier to ignore for long periods of time (or forever if you just wanted to beat up the AI when they finished it and go for a domination victory)/had more to do with the actual strategic layer than 3's campaign, and mod support/Mortal Empires came much sooner than mod support/Immortal Empires will for this game. Also this release is pretty much just objectively more hosed when they're posting oh poo poo updates two weeks after launch about how spaghetti code makes fixes complicated and how they hear the criticism of the campaign in a way that they never really acknowledged about the Vortex. Like obviously the Norsca gently caress-up was significant in 2, but other than fighting against Norsca being a little more irritating, it didn't have much of an actual impact on players being able to play in any immediate sense, but just meant they'd have to wait a bit longer for DLC to come out.

Yeah it's stuff like this that frustrates me, and why I can't take the attitude of 'oh CA will just fix it eventually' seriously - we have the recent precedent of them just ending support for three kingdoms, so the fact that they're coming out weeks after launch talking about spaghetti code, talking about how the first bug fixing patch won't come out for a month and we shouldn't expect any gameplay-based patches for the forseeable future, tell me that they might not be getting around to fixing stuff in the way they did for the last game.

The fact that the campaign design feels like someone doubling down on the specific things everyone hated about the Vortex shows that they aren't actually taking player feedback seriously. You can point to them fixing or updating stuff after launch of WH2, but them making the same mistakes or worse again...I don't know why I should trust a developer that doesn't have to market for a game after the current one (since they wanted people playing WH2 to buy 3, but they don't have a title coming out after this) to keep supporting this.

There's an interesting thread on the subreddit here that helps explain the step back in traits that many have noted, which is rooted in the same fuckup that lead to the Norsca incompatibility:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t7axbx/many_parts_of_wh3_including_hero_traits_are_not/

Hopefully CA at least lets you turn off the RoC race in the near future, but I don't see any reason to believe that they're going to prioritize putting this game in a decent state the way they kept building on 2.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can't help but wish this game really was a big dlc expansion for 2 instead of what we got: the b team taking an old version of 2 and adding some pretty terrible features.

I think part of the point of releasing an entirely new game (with identical gameplay as a feature) is that it brings in more people than a DLC pack would. So there's reasoning from a marketing perspective, even though I agree with you that it would have been better for everyone if we just got a higher priced DLCs with the chaos and human factions or something.

The outpost and diplomacy updates are honestly pretty cool, and if you ported those into TWW2 ME you'd have a fantastic game right off the bat even without adding in new races. I also don't really mind settlement battles, but it is annoying that they're basically mandatory since the AI will spend all it's time in forced march one pixel away from you if you're not setting up ambushes.

Sinteres posted:

As frustrated as I am with the launch, I think the extremely long tail on DLC sales for 2 means they're guaranteed to be supporting this one for a long time because they'd like to replicate it. At least if players don't just disappear because of the bad release and never come back, but I don't think that'll happen. Worst case scenario they'd probably do some kind of relaunch like they did with Rome 2 when Immortal Empires comes out and maybe toss in a free DLC to sweeten the pot. I do agree about them not seeming to have learned from previous mistakes though, and that reddit thread's pretty interesting.

But yeah, my concern for the longevity of this iteration isn't about the game having a flawed launch, but about CA making decisions that go against lessons they should have already learned. The devs came out and said they wanted to deincentivize trait hunting so they made defeat traits worse, when that was an interesting part of the game in ME. They heard people complain about and ignore the Vortex, and they put out a game mode that exacerbates those issues. Bad tech trees and non-sensical lord skill progression that feels about on par with the state of TWW1 just show that they're actively ignoring the player base that has been paying them for years, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe that they'll suddenly start learning in the future. Everyone keeps citing the fact that TWW2 was great after five years of DLC and updates, but the same logic should carry over to the fact that TWW3 was released after all of the things that made TWW2 good, and somehow didn't retain any of it.

A big part of this is the fact that Thrones of Brittania, 3K, and Troy were all released in between Warhammer titles, and CA can go back to cranking out historical titles without paying GW licensing fees whenever they decide to stop supporting TWW3. Even if TWW3 had no bugs, there is an insane amount of work needed to bring the gameplay back to the interesting level that TWW2 reached, and at some point they're going to have to pick between spending resources on development of further DLC and balance patches for existing content that they won't get paid for. That post they put out on Thursday about how we're a month out from a bugfix and ??? from a gameplay patch or mod support should be pretty concerning, this clearly isn't getting the attention TWW2 got with mods out from close to the beginning.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Cracker King posted:

It’s sounds more like folks hate being told to play differently. The hate over the rifts I can sort of understand but then again - I always thought CA needed a better campaign dynamic to give playthroughs more structure - and they did with rifts essentially breaking up campaign into distinct parts (4 if you always get a soul).

Yeah no poo poo dude, a large part of the appeal of ME in TWW2 is that no one told you how to play. As is frequently mentioned, the Vortex was annoying but you could also ignore it mostly, which RoC doesn't let you do. The campaign is just poorly thought out as is.

Not sure if Legend's most recent post has been shared here yet, but if not: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t7ymfp/legend_on_this_subreddit_and_ca/

As I've been mentioning, Legend has the point in there about how CA could stop supporting TWW3 the way they've abandoned several other recent titles. I really don't see a reason to CA the benefit of the doubt with assuming that they'll just fix all the bad things about the game that are out there now, since their recent behavior is a departure from their more hands on approach to TWW2. They don't have another game to sell after TWW3, and at some point fixing the bugs, unit collision issues, the infantry turn stuff that was pointed out in that Zerkovich video, etc is going to look like a bigger expense than they want to deal with since it likely won't be bundled with a DLC. The fact that they stopped supporting 3K after all the hype is a bad sign, I really don't see a reason to believe that they've learned the lessons they need to fix the current game if they somehow didn't learn that from TWW2.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Mordja posted:

Lol this is pure conspiracy brain. At its most cutthroat level CA is beholden to GW and there's no way GW wants them to cut and run on their money printer.

Yeah man the conspicuously long gap in communication in response to a controversial launch isn't a sign of things to come at all. How long was it before we had mod support after launch for the last game again? They're investing less in what was supposed to be a flagship title than the previous game, what do you think is going to motivate them to invest more?

Sinteres posted:

I think this doesn't work because IE is going to take months rather than weeks to come out, meaning the poo poo fit the community's having is just going to continue to fester if they don't offer an official fix of some sort before then. Plus DLC with win conditions only pertaining to the realm of chaos map will make people want to play there, but if it continues to rely so heavily on the portals mechanic without offering any official options to tweak them, I think that'll hinder a lot of people's enjoyment even of future content.

This is also what I'm talking about, there are plenty of people saying the base game isn't great but they'll come back for IE, which CA has said won't be coming out for 'months' while also declining to put out an actual timeline. If IE doesn't come out until mid-summer to early fall, how many people are actually going to come back, vs moving onto something else in that time? I know the playerbase for TWW2 uniquely grew over the game's lifecycle, but that also came on the back of consistent content and communication from the devs. Not exactly what we're seeing now, only weeks after launch.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

KittyEmpress posted:

Just a few months ago a lot of people in the old thread were bitching about how boring map painting is and how the last bit of the game just turns into auto resolving every fight as you slowly get the territory you need to win.

Now yall are complaining that you're not required to paint huge swathes of map, and can just unite your main land (whichever that is) and be in a good place.

Pretty sure that's a problem most total war games, and strategy games in general have when you're up against a wall of AIs that can't optimize their build the way a player would. Most people played ME with the intention of not going much farther than turn 150 or so, I think it's pretty rare to actually complete those campaigns since the goals for 'winning' are insane. Taurox was a particularly bright spot for TWW2 because it was a campaign that stayed fun the whole time and also knew when to hand the player the 'you win' popup, though the player's also allowed to keep going after.

My most rewarding ME play through on a non-horde faction was eliminating the human races as Vlad and just peacing out after that, because ME was open enough to allow player to set their own objectives if they didn't want to take over literally the entire old world or whatever.

The big difference is that you will lose Realms of Chaos if you aren't dropping everything to pursue its objectives constantly. My first playthrough kicked me out after turn 155 when I didn't make it to a portal fast enough to get to the forge of souls. It's about as close to the opposite of the design philosophy that lead to the previous game being so enjoyable.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kazzah posted:

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, sending out an army to have a bunch of high-stakes fights is not an inherently bad idea. The problem with these games has always been that the campaign-map side can undermine the battle side, in that once you unlock all the cool high-tier units, you have such an economic and defensive might that you stop getting into desperate, do-or-die battles, and you never see all those cool toys pushed to their limits. So they get around this by spawning in high-level armies for you to fight, and this time you have to go get them, instead of having them spawn next to your undefended towns.

I think the problems come from the execution. The portals open just a little too often, and the penalties for having your LL away are too severe - in my Goldtooth campaign, Zhao Ming has decided to ignore the soul-race and send everything he's got into the mountains, and I've got one stack to hold him back. A lot of other people have said it, but: there really should be some reward for claiming a soul (other than "the campaign doesn't get turned off on turn 150"). It doesn't have to be huge; even just 10 turns of public order and anticorruption, like you got from the vortex rituals, to undo some of the harm from having your best forces on tour. I feel like they tried to fix this by reducing the Supply Lines penalty, and weakening the red-line skills (so a veteran general's army isn't that much better than a newly-raised one). In theory, this should make it easier to have more stacks earlier - but they also gave most of the factions pretty weak economies to begin with, which undoes most of the good.

The RoC really would work a lot better if there was just one of every soul that gave you huge, asymmetric bonuses and supplemented the base game. Some mechanics to get Belakor for the demons and faction specific rewards for Kislev and Cathay on top would have made for a solid beginning that didn't force you to grapple with anything you weren't interested in.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Alctel posted:

Is the supply line big that big of a deal? How many of you are constantly hiring/firing lords anyway?

I finished the game without even noticing it

Now I know about it it's a bit annoying during confederation but it's just a matter of sending the new ones off to die

In a game that brought the increase of additional armies down from 15% to 4%, the AI sends a lot of trash stacks at you that are easier to respond to if you can quickly raise your own trash stacks and disband then when they're not needed anymore. With the bug, that poo poo adds up fast and forces you to turtle more.

So yeah, based on their timeline from last week, the supply line bug is staying in until 1.1, which is estimated to be out by mid April. I guess now's as good a time as any to go finish the vampirates campaign I put on hold to install 3

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 10, 2022

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Knocking the souls out of your opponents is cool and feels so intuitive I'm surprised it wasn't in at launch.

Using protection buildings to stop portals spawning is going to be really interesting though, it's going to vastly reduce the amount of portals spawning, to the point that it might incentivize taking out a city that an opponent has and demolishing their protection building to a) get hostile armies to spawn in their territory and b) get closer to the portals yourself after they stop spawning in your territory. It really opens the game up for more aggressive playstyles since protecting yourself from the rifts also means that you're going to need to find someone who hasn't and go push their poo poo in.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Blood pack DLC maybe by September - October lol.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 29, 2022

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Ravenfood posted:

3k's is definitely different. I'm not sure which I like better but I do really like how Nurgle's gets you high-tier units available very early on unlike 3k's.

Yeah, definitely "effort" and not "we bit off way more than we can chew". All CA has to do is dig deep and truly harder, man. Really want it, you know? Code harder.

It's beyond biting off more than they can chew though. Even if you're going to ignore how much slower content is coming out for TWW3 than the previous game, this roadmap only came out after months of community harassment despite saying they were going to get it out a week after TWW3's launch. Compare that to them getting out in front of the Norsca fuckup and being honest about it taking eight months, and moving on to develop other stuff.

Maybe effort isn't the right word here, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that this project has been mismanaged to a degree that doesn't have a comparison to anything since Rome II, which is kind of insane considering how much they've had to learn from. No one made them release their game in February, TWW2 was still doing well. And the content drip, again, is glacial compared to the pace from TWW2. I would be shocked if they're devoting the same resources to TWW3 that TWW2 got.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

DaysBefore posted:

How's the streamer union coming

*tapping forehead* your steamers can't unionize if the game they steam dies

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

BigHead posted:

I wish there were more quest battles defending sieges. I have literally never defended a siege where I had any chance at winning, in 500 hours of gameplay between 2 and 3. It's just not part of the game, or at least one I've not run into. I either get three doomstacks rolling through low level walls or they just pick off settlements. In 3 I'd occasionally see fairly even settlement fights but those aren't proper sieges.

Why can't, like, a dwarf quest battle be that the orcs are storming the walls?

They're definitely rare but I've had several playing Skyre and Vlad von Carstein's ME campaigns that were nailbiters due to the AI doomstack loving up their approach. Nakai also kind has that for his final quest battle against Markus Wulfheart's forces

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been doing PC upgrades so I haven't bought 3 yet. What's the current status of the game? Has Immortal Empires dropped yet or am I better off sticking with 2 until some more kinks are smoothed out?

IE won't be dropping for a few months and units are still pretty unresponsive, you're better off waiting.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I assume Legend put that video up because he felt CA didn't listen to the input he gave them directly during the lead up to WH3. The video both showcases the problem and will get a ton of traction on reddit, which will trickle into thousands of people yelling at CA at once, which is harder to ignore than one Australian guy.

Doomykins posted:

Yeah that's fair and totally correct. I'd think he might be happier that IE is coming, then? And since I missed it earlier boy am I happy my primary ME complaint was addressed and victory conditions are smoother and more focused on playing the game rather than awkward laundry lists of distant enemies and further big cities to hold.

The only time he's looked like he's enjoying the game is when he's playing the Clan Skyre campaign for ME, so probably. I think it's insane that he spent so much time on streams trashing CA and still stuck with total war content, he has a huge follower base and some of them would probably follow him to another game if he actually believed that CA had wronged him so badly. Every rant was like "CA is terrible, they lied to my face, I'd fire every single one of them if I worked at CA, I'll never do prelaunch content for them again, but I hope TWW3 succeeds"

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Kanos posted:

That's the crux of what makes him so strong. You can't ignore him and let him run amok because the mortis will kill you, but anything that can actually kill him at a reasonable rate costs several times what he does and while they're reenacting Benny Hill trying to pin him down and kill him all that gold isn't doing anything to the rest of Ghorst's army while Ghorst's expensive pieces and other casters can run amok. Respawn timers exist but they're not terribly long - if you kill Ghorst early on he'll simply respawn, if you kill him too late to respawn and be relevant that means that he was mortising your army for a very long time.

There was a game in the finals where a player went Tzeentch and tried for an assassination build against him and it failed utterly because the value ratios are too lopsided.

I mean the Ghorat assassination strat failed because they committed to flyers harder than VC players usually do and they never got past the wall of fell bats and vargheists. They got one or two hits on Ghorst before they got out-air forced, which is more an issue with the strategy itself.

Ghorst is definitely too cheap for what he does but I hope CA just bumps up his cost for multiplayer and leaves his mechanics alone. The campaign doesn't need to be perfectly balanced to be fun.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Haha, what the gently caress Be'lakor.

I didn't realize I could just make portal anywhere, even using a Hero, and then they're just there forever with no way to destroy and shut them. I can just plop a portal next to Altdorf, port it, and start sacking? That is wild.

Edit: Oh and also just get to use the Nurgle Gift to enable replenishment in foreign territories.

It's an insane and hilarious mechanic yeah. Using the rifts to teleport around was one of the few bright points of the RoC campaign and I'm glad they kept it in for Be'Lakor.

It also works as a nice trick for grabbing the sword of khaine early on - sail over to the top of the donut before the elves know what's coming and open a portal right next to the shrine. You get to sack the cities around it and then jump into the portal to the safety of your start island when they send armies to try and intercept you. As soon as you get the notification for it being picked up you can jump right back and crush them before they have a chance to amass too much power. As stated previously in the thread, Be'Lakor himself is actually not the best candidate for the sword himself, but if you put that one of your human lords that ascends to demonhood you can really roll over the rest of the world.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

house of the dad posted:

I don't know what it is about it but the "we are also frustrated" line never works for me and mostly just stokes my annoyance. I'm sure the dev team has its hands tied in a lot of ways but the entire WH3 release and timeline up until now has been people trying to deflect their own responsibility for how things have turned out and it comes off like nobody has any idea what's going on.

TWW3 has been a story of bad management going back to pre-releae times last year, I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the case. Whether or not it's bad decision-making coming down from Sega, CA has a lot to answer for, which as of that most recent post looks like they're also unwilling to do.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Psycho Landlord posted:

some reddit rear end posts in here today

I haven't really paid attention to TWW3 since last summer, but when did calling out CA become 'reddit' material here? I liked the Chaos Undivided expansion from last August, but coming back to this six months later to see the devs announcing that they've got nothing to show players is just comical. Between this and last year's launch of the base game, their behavior over the last year looks more like a small team funded by Kickstarter donations than a company trying to compete in the AAA space.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
How does non owned DLC interact with the player in IE? If I start a Belakor campaign, will I get to fight chords, or will I not see them at all unless I buy the DLC?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Dramicus posted:

Paradox has custodian teams that add features to old dlcs, regular bug fixes and they also don't threaten to stop supporting games if people don't buy the dlc.

Yeah and games like Stellaris have had multiple, free, big balance patches per year that spice up aspects of the game the player made finds stale, in addition to regular hotfixes when stuff breaks. The weekly developer diaries also go a long way toward building goodwill with the player base. There are a lot of things Paradox does that just make them seem like a more professional studio than CA, I can't think of anything Paradox has done that compares to the shitshow release of TWWIII

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 23, 2023

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
So what units did regular, non-tzeentch WoC factions get from this DLC? Can Be'lakor recruit the mutalith vortex beast and tzaangors or can he only do that through alliances?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Dramicus posted:

Undivided lords (Belakor, Archie, Sigvald, maybe Daniel?) Get all of them, including the tzeentch heroes. The beast is recruited in a similar way to the other big monsters, you get them once every few turns by having the appropriate gift active. Beastmen also get the tzanngors and the big kislev monster thing.

Thanks! I only play beastmen and WoC so this DLC might actually be worth it for me.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Dramicus posted:

If you get the DLC for the units, might as well give Changeling a shot. He's more similar to WoC as a semi-horde faction, so might be up your alley.

Yeah he looks really interesting. I generally shy away from playing tzeentch because I just can't get pink horror firing arcs right, they invariably just end up standing on a hill and watching their marauder frontline without actually firing. It looks like the tzeentch roster has enough options to make that less of a problem now though.

On the WoC side though, throwing in a vortex beast with shoggoths and soul grinders for monster focused armies is going to be interesting, the mortis engine effect on a big fast monster is going to be a nice change from sending a slaanesh warshrine to waddle across the battlefield at a mile an hour

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Besides Kholek's infinite scaling and Taurox getting to around 160-170ish, is there anyone who can break out of the 100-130 most armored lords or units can sit at?

Kholek has infinite armor scaling? How?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I started a post-DLC game with Katarin and man, has Azazel always been this squishy? I focus fired him down with just regular Kossars without any real trouble

He has next to no base armor, without items he basically just has normal demon physical resistance and the speed to run away really fast. From a player perspective he should be played like a squishy flying wizard but the AI generally does not do that

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Hyenas siphoning tens of millions of dollars from CA's successful products and then getting aborted months for release is both the funniest and most CA way this could have ended lol.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Pierre McGuire posted:

I find it weird you can get aspiring champions from very early. They don't kill particularly fast but they will eventually defeat anything that isn't a designated anti-infantry AP blender.

It takes time and one or two melee heroes with the training skill to get fresh marauders up to Aspiring Champions but they are absurdly strong when you get deep into the tech tree. Infantry that can climb walls with shields, poison attacks, frenzy, strider, barrier, and regeneration just makes them unkillable late game, especially if you have a nurgle warshrine around.

My late game WoC armies are usually Be'lakor leading a full stack of AC's and then other demon lords with some ACs mixed into shoggoths, soul grinders, vortex beasts. Be'lakor's army taking any casualties at all is usually a sign I hosed up somehow

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

jokes posted:

Chaos has the luxury of categorically having the best infantry and almost the best cavalry, and arguably the best artillery. You'll want hellcannons, chaos warriors/chosen/etc., and chaos knights.

Unlike most factions, Chaos will generally win prolonged melee fights, so you don't have a tarpit you have an inevitable crushing victory. Your heavy cavalry will beat most cavalry, and the hellcannon is arguably the best artillery in the game. If you can beeline to getting hellcannons and chaos warriors, that alone will be enough to win most engagements.

Your frontline is going to be halberds/great weapons mostly, so your response to ranged units will be dogs/fast moving things/monsters and then eventually knights.

Generally, the differences between the factions are: khorne is faster and stronger armored melee units, Nurgle is slower, hardier melee units, tzeentch are Weird Ranged Units and have shields on their things (the AR calculations HEAVILY favor shielded units), and Slaanesh are fast glass cannon melee units. So unless you go monogod which you really should unless you're Archaon, you'll want Khorne fighter armies of cavalry/armored melee, Slaanesh cavalry/daemonette armies, Tzeentch heroes and special units, and Nurgle tarpits/monster armies.

Slaanesh daemonettes will get hosed over by AR, by the way, if you mix them in with other units. Normally you mitigate this as a Slaanesh faction by simply bringing more daemonettes.

Hellcannons are always, without a doubt, the best unit for each Chaos faction. No chaos army is complete without one

I really disagree with a lot of this post. I play a lot of Be'Lakor on legendary and I generally ditch hell cannons when I start getting chaos warriors upgraded to Aspiring Champions and get a nurgle war shrine in every army.

Cav is also unnecessary for Warriors of Chaos when dragon ogres and dragon ogres shoggoths become available. Chaos Knights are nice for chasing fast stuff down but they die in proglonged engagements where they aren't just cycle charging. Dragon ogres and Shoggoths can charge in hard and win fights against just about anything.

The death aura from the mutalith vortex beast is also absurdly good against mobs and they will routinely rack up 300+ kills against skaven and VC armies, but you only get those from the SoC DLC which is otherwise very not worth it.

My late game armies are mostly Aspiring Champions with a nurgle war shrine backing them up, so dragon orgres/Shoggoths moving on their flanks, and either a vortex beast or some khorne/slaandsh soul grinders. I don't bother with artillery in part because the AI loves to send whatever fast units they have straight for your hell cannons, everything else chaos has access to is just deadly with more ability to defend itself. The strongest infantry in the game plus the healing from the nurgle warshrine will win you so many battles that auto resolve thinks are a decisive loss.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

wiegieman posted:

Chosen are unstoppable killing machines, and Warriors are only a little bit worse. Chosen are ridiculous with campaign buffs. They get perfect vigor.

You're thinking of aspiring champions, and yeah they're insane. They get perfect vigour very early on, and can get regeneration as early as turn 50-60