Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm trying to finish a bretonnia vortex campaign before this comes out and man this ain't happening.
After 100+ turns of tomb King hell war I've just crossed half the chivalry needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Each reinforcing lord/army earns chivalry separately from the main army, though I think they get less. Also, Bretonnia doesn't get a supply line penalty for some reason. These two facts combined mean that 2armies of 10 units each costs about as much as 1 army of 20 units, but earns substantially more chivalry. 3 armies of 7 units each earn even more. Also, each lord and hero will need babysitting for Vow progress, so you might as well start earlier. And lastly, reinforcing an army will eventually earn the reinforcing lord the "savior" trait which increases chivalry and army-wide charge bonus.

Drown the enemy in reinforcements. Just watch out for Sniktch, Skaven ambush stance will gently caress you up fast that way. Once he is off the table, you can easily win the Vortex campaign in under 100 turns.

Unless I'm missing something about how it works, the barrier regenerates substantially faster than HP gained from regen and won't regenerate while in combat. Regeneration is much better for sustained combat, whereas barriers are better for hit and run attacks.

thanks, managed to wrap it up in a couple hours.
god that system sucks though, a small province getting destroyed with a lord sitting there will set you back a lot of chivalry, you shouldn't lose chivalry for defeats imo, particularly valiant defeats

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i dont really like this new UI, a lot of the colouring makes things hard to see, like the icon that tells you you can construct an upgrade in a settlement.

the skill trees are untouched apart from making lightning strike a 3/3 talent so now you've gotta waste 2 more levels before buying anything fun

the new reinforce system seems really strange on defence, it takes a minute or so for your reinforcements to show up so you... just wait for a minute while the enemy politely waits too so it adds nothing except a time waste.

why does it want to alert me that a garrisoned lord hasn't moved, yes thats the poiint? oh CA please stop adding more poo poo to turn off every time you press end turn in these games

anyway those are my gripes so far, its still TW:WH though so im gonna play this all day once work is over

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

pretty sure that was in the last game, there's a way to turn it off permanently for individual armies iirc

nah it was in the last game for units standing around outside of garrisons but not when garrisoned im pretty sure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the pathfinding and movement AI seems extremely broken, way more than normal.
combining this with every minor settlement battle being on a city map is going to be fun

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

how are the ogres? are they cool/fun? my dumbass boss scheduled a 5pm meeting and i’m stuck at work.

Greasus seems insanely overpowered and rich, and I had a fun event where they discovered ketchup

The battle engine does seem to be borked a bit atm for everyone though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'll be open palm slamming the Minor Settlement = Field Battle mod into my folder as soon as its made

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Leal posted:

Game good?

Uuuuuuh

It's not bad but the battles don't control nearly as well as 2 (which I was just playing last night) and the battle AI is a lot worse, broken even. enemy units just walking back and forth aimlessly in a circle kinda thing.

CA have come a long way but one of their traits has always been accidentally double downing on issues and the decision to turn every minor settlement fight into an even lengthier seige is a very funny response to there being too many boring seige battles in warham2

E I always buy total wars so I don't regret it at all, but if you aren't that kinda fan I'd... Well I'd just get it on gamepass is the good thing, it's worth a play but will definitely be better in a few months

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 18, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Fists Up posted:

Has anyone managed to play a multiplayer game with one on game pass for PC and another on Steam? My friend and I couldn't join each others games yesterday but the FAQ says they support cross store multiplayer.

Worked for me and my friend earlier

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I thought there was supposed to be 3Ks autoformations when you click and drag but it doesn't seem to be a thing

Also that it was meant to save your last formation with that army and its not doing that either. Am I crazy?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It might only annoy me but its a shame that all the demon characters sound the same with a booming evil voice even the cheerful fat man and sexy androgynous one

Too many TW warhams chars are just interchangeable deep man voice

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

That's weird. For me clicking and dragging just dumps every unit into a line with no discernible reason to it, unlike 3K. And even activating formations manually just splits everyone into a melee/missile binary which is still mostly a jumbled mess.

messing around with it now, it actually does seem to sort units somewhat but seems to only seperate melee from ranged with not a lot of rhyme or reason beyond that, so like i had a line of pink horrors randomly mixed with flamers and the soulgrinder.
so i think rather than having the clever 3k setup its just that the game automatically uses that melee front formation from all the warhams

on another note: does anyone have any idea how winds work now? as tzeentch i never have any magic winds

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Maps probably work better on smaller sizes but I would never elect to have less mans

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

any idea how to make money as daemons? just by fightin?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Altgoref

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I like that the plot is that belakor is trying to farm enough money from fighting you to summon a doomstack

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Slaanesh seem really good to me just over costed. A daemonette costs nearly twice the upkeep of an ogre bull

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Where dwarves gets 3 slots for runes, chorfs will get 3 slots for hat combinations. They will use the daemon Prince tech to actually change the unit model. This is the goal.

CA plz

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's a shame the chaos realms are so hit and miss, Khorne and slaanesh add some useful options, you can go have field fights against LLs in murderbowl and pick up some force multiplier weapons or fish for gamechanging buffs in the Palace.

But as the focus of the campaign they suck to navigate and the soul battles are so tedious ill skip them all from now on probably

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

as long as you have enough income to maintain one strong doomstack with your LL, the actual state of your empire doesn't matter at all. i spent the time between the 3rd and 4th soul pressing end turn with fast forward on and letting whatever was gonna happen happen. lol.

This is the key problem with the campaign imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Deketh posted:

I'm amazed this supply line bug will persist unfixed for so long. I suppose it doesn't matter too much to me as I can go back to all the content in WH2 I haven't touched yet but loving hell.

Total War really seems to attract the dingbat crowd, TWC forums in particular should be sealed off and cast adrift.

TWC seems less feral than the steam community at least

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I wish the battles didn't control worse than ever but mainly I'm just waiting for blood dlc

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

3k was the rare TW game that launched in an amazing state then got shakier over time with DLCs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Is there a place for mods yet?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Just replace all the realms with Khornes realm but different colours with diff rewards at the shrines and that'd be an improvement imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol that video, I'm glad nobody films my cranky tantrums. He's really upset

I guess it must be annoying if CA made out that they'd listen to feedback before the game came out but that really isn't how AAA game dev works, you release what you can and then fix it later

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

It's not just LegendofTotalWar, he is just the most vocal and whiny about it. Other content creators warned CA that there were a ton of bugs, that it was clear that it hadn't been playtested enough, that some of the mechanics were unfun/punishing for no reason and that some changes they made (especially to mass and knockdownability of infantry) were outright bad or broken in the other direction.

People who bought the game stopped playing really quickly comparable to the last few titles.

It doesn't mean people won't come back or the game will be foreverbad. But it's something that was pretty obvious to those closest to the game.

yeah i mean i keep thinking "i'll play some total war" then ehhh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Fire arrow archers are carefully selected from amongst the peasantry who do not stare at the fire, then look at the castle, then back at the fire again.

Lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

If anyone else is sick of seeing the same drat names duplicated for Lords and Heroes in Warhammer3, I made a mod that adds like 3,500+ lore appropriate names.

It was pretty funny to see a machine learning algorithm learn how to make Ogre names, but I reviewed all of them to make sure nothing too crazy went in. I really like the Nurgle names the most I think. Some factions have double or triple the amount of names from the vanilla game. This is just for first names for now, eventually I want to expand to last names/family names as well.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789887182

Some samples:
names_ksl_kislev Andrada
names_ksl_kislev Olga
names_ksl_kislev Nikodem
names_ksl_kislev Nikifor
names_ksl_kislev Natalia

names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Shumdy
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Morglum
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Largug
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Kruga
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Gouger
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Gogrutt
names_ogr_ogre_kingdom Bladubb

names_kho_khorne Khar'asmoday'ulak
names_kho_khorne Khorg'asmdeus'remakht
names_kho_khorne G'astaroth'ihlulan

names_tze_tzeentch Zaz'hystaspes
names_tze_tzeentch Polyperchon'phaos
names_tze_tzeentch Sparatocos'eel

names_sla_slaanesh Lolillian'li
names_sla_slaanesh Fel'eva
names_sla_slaanesh Vi'trillian

names_nur_nurgle Garrottllious
names_nur_nurgle Morphificpuss
names_nur_nurgle Bilefitchglut

names_nor_norsca Baldomar
names_nor_norsca Baldovin
names_nor_norsca Basina
names_nor_norsca Helewidis
names_nor_norsca Helmfrid
names_nor_norsca Helmo

names_cth_cathay Jia Li
names_cth_cathay Jiao
names_cth_cathay Liling
names_cth_cathay Liu

names_skv_skaven Krricht
names_skv_skaven Rasknitt
names_skv_skaven Feskit
names_skv_skaven Skabbicus

How'd you do the ML for that? I had a thing I was doing a while ago where I needed to generate sumo ringnames

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at the player stats for this. Yesterday there were more people playing WH2 than 3 and there weren't that many people playing WH2. They've been about equal for the last week. That seems bad.

Even I'm struggling to get motivation to try the new patch and I breathe total war
I've been playing Rome 2 instead lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Loaded the game up again then got bored pretty quick.

My issue is I wanna play daemons but I don't wanna fight other daemons with them, that just seems boring.
I wish there was a mod that replaced all other daemons with order factions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Warhammer 3 NFT?
More like, uh... Not Fun Totalwar!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Is the new winds of magic system just totally RNG whether the zone you're in gives you mana or not?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I still can't be arsed with this game, even with mods.
Where is the blood patch I thirst

E if they are gonna make blood dlc then they should add some other PG thing as a damage indicator. The game just feels better with blood cause you actually have some idea of when something dealt damage rather than units bouncing around and sometimes getting up and sometimes not

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat that's really bad.
I agree with people that theyr buckling down and working but I also agree with that post above about how it now seems that they took a primitive version of warhammer 2 and most of the work done ended up making the game worse and they now have to both catch up to warhammer 2 (a lesson they said they'd learned already and wouldn't repeat) and also undo/mitigate a lot of the development they have done.

Never mind the chaos wastes, seiges and minor settlement stuff which are all new systems that took a long time and largely were steps back that any TW fan could have warned them about in advance. (wait so you're reducing the number of field battles and making seiges depend more on AI pathfinding? And you're buffing siege towers and making them omnipresent and respawn? )
Even just the basic battle engine is way worse at the fundamentals of total war combat. Even with loads of mods as soon as I zoom in and see how broken the units behaviour is I completely lose interest.

I dunno, this sucks. Although I'm not fully doom and gloom I don't think it's a given this game is gonna eventually be as good as warhammer 2 which seems to be the hope everyone is hanging onto.
Making games is hard, sometimes you work really hard and things just don't come together in a fun way.

Also blood dlc being so far away is a personal attack on me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Immortal Empires isn't gonna have the short turn times and all the factions are gonna have the earliest iteration of their mechanics

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tbf it's in beta towards the end of the year, which in gamedev speak often means next year and they do say the road map may "shift"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Iirc they also didnt really abandon 3k either; it got a typical amount of DLC from CA. It just didn't compare to WH2, which had an abnormally long tail for a TW game.

3K was an odd one, it argueably launched in a better state than it finished in which is unique among TWs afaik

but there were some obvious DLCs that never appeared, the most obvious being an actual three kingdoms start date, then stuff like xiongnu faction packs which i was personally really hyped for, its sort of weird to do this period of chinese history without including their major rival

the DLC they did add was wierd stuff like the princes start date that includes no major characters and isnt a period anyone is into, or an early starting date letting you play while the emperor is still active that completely destroys diplomacy since the game doesnt know how to handle everyone starting out allied and is even further removed from the "three kingdoms" era

the main issue was that there was still an expectation of more stuff to "complete" the game, and then CA cancelled it in an awkward way where they tried to pitch this is a good thing because we will all get to buy 3K 2 in a couple years

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 17, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ZeusJupitar posted:

The announcement for 3K 2 was quiet vague, but it sounded like they've decided that warscape based total war can't simulate the period in the way they'd like too, so they're starting again from the ground up i.e the current game covers the early period of warlordism well but breaks down once you actually try to do the three large states going 1v1v1. There's also a lot of room for improvement in the role playing and character building aspects.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3K 2 does away with the campaign map as we know it and goes with something more xcom like.

If they get the 3k launch team to successfully reimagine the TW formula I'd be totally down for that to be fair.

Just please... Do xiongnu this time, a cavalry based army in the 3k engine woulda been awesome/very OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lord Packinham posted:

I booted it up since the last patch, the game is definitely better it’s just 90% of my fights are settlement battles. I don’t know how you fix them, I’d rather they were removed completely. I don’t know how you fix this, but I will not play IE if it has these settlement battles because they are abysmal. Did they do no play testing on these maps?

Yeah I tried to play again last night and ran into that. I guess I'll just mod them out but man... Such a classic CA move. I've been a fan since Shogun 1 was the first pc game I ever beat.
Its really notable how often they will seize total war in both hands and sprint in the opposite direction anyone who plays the game wants.

Everyone thinks therees too many seiges in warhammer 2? How about every battle is a seige now but we've made it so it's also a tower defence mini game that relies on the AI and pathfind-OH NO