Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Before they implemented the puzzles, they had those CYOA prompts. Were those results fixed or RNG?

They were RNG, but each choice had different potential outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Even if the questionable campaign mechanics stop being an issue when ME is released, it's still a bit of a bummer because I was pretty excited to get some friends in for the fantastic new co-op features. But with only TWW3 they'd presumably be relegated to the default campaign, and it's an impossible sell to tell them to pick up this $60 video game and also the previous two entries so we can play together.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I have all TWW2 achievements and 99.99% of that was with heavy modding. There were a few rare instances where achievements failed to fire off though. I had to use SAM to unlock the Very Hard Beastmen campaign cheevo for example, even though I was staring down the victory screen on a VH Beastmen campaign.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I assume they need to redo the IE map with the new art style, which would take some time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Death Globe Bombadiers, both types of artillery, and some plague priests were a fantastic gunline composition even on release.

I also kinda liked how High Elf armies worked more before Queen and the Crone, where you eventually transitioned from super high range archers + spears into a more melee-heavy focus as you rose in tier and needed AP. Now you just go from archers to brokenly overpowered superunit archers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

imo the only infantry archers that should have AP are Waywatchers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Take away all the armored piercing missile damage and give it to Grimgor. He needs an armor piercing missile attack the most.

Let him throw goblins like the Doomdiver Catapult, but he starts with no ammo and the only way he can replenish it is to use an ability on a nearby goblin unit that takes a few of their models.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of Skaven, are warpfire throwers bad? They do a boatload of damage if I can get them to fire, but between their short range and forgetting to turn off skirmish mode they usually only ever get one volley off and spend the rest of the battle scurrying away from everything.

I've always found Death Globes (and maybe the revamped Poison Wind Globes?) to fulfill a similar purpose while being far better due to their arced fire. Both are small units that annihilate clusters of infantry but only one type actually gets to attack with any regularity.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My ideal VC rework would remove the ability to recruit skeletons/zombies normally and limit you to only 10 units per stack, but for every unit you get 1 skeleton and 1 zombie tacked on for free without taking up a slot, similar to a waaagh. So you get effectively 30 unit stacks but 20 of those are garbage tar pits that allow the 10 to do the real work. Gives off a similar, thematically appropriate vibe that you got out of the TWW2 free skeletons period while also allowing you to use other units.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can't really look down on reddit for having people with bad takes when we have Arghy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A LINK TO A YOUTUBE VIDEO. ITS THE PROPHET AND THE WARLOCK DLC TRAILER AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER,

:hmmyes:

KPC_Mammon posted:

TEHENAUIN.

:hmmno:

Mordja posted:

TW2's most memorable trailers were action movie parodies, wonder if they'll go back to that.

Best one was VCoast imo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

It's funny because Cylostra is like the best VCoast lord.

She just wants to sing for Ulthuan. Why do these elves keep trying to stop her?

Cylosta isn't the coolest VCoast lord, but it's not her fault. She's just up against Luthor who is the best character in this setting.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zombies still do have fuckall MD, armor, and leadership. Additional healing cap isn't super meaningful if they get chewed up before they can make use of it. It'll certainly make them last an age against basic state troops and dwarf warriors though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My strat against Wood Elves is to build tons of armies until I'm deep into negative income, and then hope that I can roll over them with autoresolve before my money stash is depleted.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Man, I'm looking forward to Grimgor's new start. It seems like it will be pretty thematic, first fighting in forgotten paths at the edge of the known world. Then after consolidating your power, you are able to either pour like a tidal wave into Cathay, or the Old world, or both at the same time.

I'm still undecided as to what my first campaign will be. My current top contenders:

Volkmar
Grimgor
Grombrindal
Sigvald/Valkia (I really like the idea of taking Naggaroth and then using the sea lanes to go to Cathay)

Better to hold off on playing Grimgor until chaos dwarfs are added imo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo the animations on the Chaos Warshrines are amazing. :allears:

They also all have their own effects:

Undivided: Physical resistance AOE
Slaanesh: Mortis engine
Nurgle: Regeneration AOE
Tzeentch: Spell Mastery
Khorne: Melee buffs AOE

Slaanesh one sounds a little questionable. Not exactly a faction that's into standing around and slowly grinding down enemies via attrition. Mortis Engine effects need a lot of time to do their work. At least they have some tankier mortals to maybe make it work with now, but it doesn't seem like a very Slaaneshy playstyle.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Can't believe it is today right now rather than tuesday. Pretty hosed up imo. I hate linear time.

Finally booted TWW3 up and did the tutorial campaign last night. People weren't kidding when they said it was just The Frozen Throne. I did enjoy passing turns a bunch to get Kossars with ~130 MA/MD though. Quickly realized that having them fire their bows was a complete waste of time when just getting in there to rip and tear demons was infinitely more effective. Really made the ice bear feel superfluous when each individual Kossar is about as strong as an ice bear himself.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

99pct of germs posted:

My only wish for the Chorfs is that their DLC is a 4 lord campaign pack like the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast.

I'd prefer 2 if they actually had distinct mechanics like you get from the lord packs. I feel like so many potentially cool lords have been wasted when they have nothing unique going for them except a different start position, and even those are often very close to each other.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Levin posted:

Tried searching, so apologies if I missed it posted recently. Do we have a ranked list for DLC for I and II? I have I, III, and Ogre Kingdoms currently. Getting II for IE but also considering other DLC while they are on sale. I have previously played ME with all the DLC and recall having a lot of fun with Ikit Claw, Skarsnik, Karl Franz, King Louen, Repanse, and Settra. Based on this Rise of the Tomb Kings and The Prophet & The Warlock seem like frontrunners.

Are there better places to pick up the DLC than just off Steam?

edit: Went to add Warhammer II to my cart using the bundle deal to get it for $20.80CAD but in cart it's listing as $36.09?!

Twisted and the Twilight + Silence and the Fury give you two new races (Wood Elves and Beastmen), plus an interesting lord for another faction, and are cheap. Top tier.

Other standouts are Tomb Kings + Vampire Coast which give you cool new races, and Prophet and the Warlock which is pretty important for Skaven. Warden and the Paunch is very solid too. With the new Warriors of Chaos rework it's also probably worth grabbing either the old WoC DLC or the new Champions of Chaos one, depending on which lords appeal to you more. None of us have played these yet though.

I've purchased every DLC and don't regret any of them but the ones above are the standouts.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Started my first campaign on the Realm of Chaos map as Katarin and this is hell, likely made significantly more hellish than before by the inclusion of Valkia. I can do nothing to stop her. Just have to hope I can get her to route through army losses because she takes no damage and owns everybody while being a flying lord that's too small to shoot at in combat.

Then she's got her norscan vassals constantly coming in to gently caress me up, in addition to the 7 other factions on my border who are at war with me.

Maybe by turn 300 I'll be in a secure enough position to enter a portal.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Picture 9 Chaos Legendary Lords taking turns stomping on Katarin's face while every other order faction is dead in the background, and you've got a solid idea of how my Kislev RoC campaign is going. Kostaltyn was holding on alright until he auto-confederated. He really shouldn't have done that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Started a Vilitch RoC campaign and a Skarsnik + Wurrzag co-op Immortal Empires playthrough and I'm finding them much more enjoyable than RoC Katarin, which would have made me quit entirely if the base campaign was still the only option. The Warriors of Chaos rework fuckin owns and TWW3's new co-op features are pretty much everything I ever wanted out of the series. Glad I waited until this point to start playing this game.

I will say that Vilitch seems a bit weak as far as LLs go though. The faction is strong but he himself is mostly carried by his ridiculous personality rather than combat capability. Has almost nothing to make him a better spellcaster over the baseline, gives somewhat minor benefits to units I never want to recruit (spawn and forsaken), isn't particularly impressive in melee, and worst of all he has no mounts and is slow as gently caress. The generic chaos caster lords get a dragon which seems like it may be better than what my weird little worm boy is offering.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

grobbo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyz389/you_know_what_thomin_the_snow_doesnt_seem_so_bad/

Adorable and brilliant.

I also learnt from this thread that Vilitch loudly complains that Thommin is getting seasick if you take them out onto the ocean, and lectures him not to get sand in his helmet if they're in the desert. Oh, my creepy little guys, you rock.

I really can't get enough of Vilitch's voice lines. What a stupid-rear end saturday morning cartoon villain of a character. I love him. I think he's my new favorite dude in this setting.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

keep forgetting that n'kari has 0 armor in a land full of elven shits with bows so I look back and he's either dead or lost half his health

I'm finding I have to be pretty careful and he always gets beat up pretty badly, but it's usually easy to heal him to full by wiping out units after everyone has routed. So he comes out of it just fine in the end.

IE N'kari has been pretty fun. I kept 3 provinces to myself but have otherwise been vassalizing everyone. All of the high/dark elves are mine, as well as a bunch of norscans and a few other misc factions. I've almost swayed Karl into joining me which will be a pretty enormous boost. I have 20+ vassals now and it's lovely watching Mazdamundi get swarmed by an unending tide of elves without me needing to lift a finger.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Honestly this is kinda true for most of the new guys vs the now old guys? None of them feel terribly good compared to the WoC versions. They got DLC creeped so quickly it's hilarious.

I dunno. Kairos seems stronger than Vilitch and his faction can get a proper gunline going in a way that you cannot when you only have slots for 6 daemons who aren't even the exalted variants. And N'kari having access to cultists is so nice for vassalizing the entire world. Slaanesh daemons are also just pretty good in general. Both of these factions get brokenly overpowered techs for their greater daemons while the WoC versions do not. Lords of Change are so pitiful under Vilitch compared to Kairos. Festus does seem better than Ku'gath though. Can't speak for Khorne.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can someone help me with my stupid thoughts

I keep thinking shielded spears are a better all round option than halberds because they block at least SOME ranged while still performing pretty well as line holders

Change my mind

idk if this is still the case in 3, but there was a hidden stat for attack speed in TWW2 which was reasonably similar between almost all melee units in the game, but there were a few standouts such as empire halberds having an especially atrocious value making them even shittier than they appear. Very strangely, that poor attack speed also applied to regular empire spearmen but not the shielded variant.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

magic missiles seem even weaker than before. they were never great, but you could line up a mobile caster to shoot down a line and net a couple dozen kills a cast. now it just seems to kill one or two guys a spell

Every time I get that stupid-rear end item that gives you bound fireball and have nothing else to equip, I foolishly put it on, knowing full well that I will occasionally try to use it and regret the time spend doing so. Especially when you end up needing to try like 4 times to actually get it to cast. gently caress all magic missiles.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

We ended up abandoning the run - the Tomb Kings produced 8 new stacks, every turn, and we played out 10 or 15 turns like that, until there was a dense ring of dozens and dozens of end game stacks just spiraling out from the spawn point. Strangely, they would move some stacks some of the time - that's what lead to my post. I'd say out of 15 turns and 100+ stacks, I saw maybe a dozen take some action across maybe three separate occasions..

Really, really weird end to a game. Disappointing, but we're already talking about our new co op sessions.

I got that event 50 turns ago on my N'kari campaign. The southlands are the one place on the map where I have no vision or presence so I've just been ignoring it. I'm afraid of what's been happening over there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It's very upsetting to me that Kislev's front-line infantry transitions from Armored Kossars who have guns, to Tzar Guard who do not have guns. And the difference in performance between the two, especially with red line skills, is too great to just ignore.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

Argh I'm trying to play Khemri in what I feel is the intended way, always multiple stacks together and a shitton of fodder, and it's so loving frustrating how easily my units just stop fighting. It's not me getting overwhelmed by a bad battle plan, it's not me failing to pause enough, it's not incorrect usage of guard mode etc, I just can't get a large line of infantry to behave in a sane manner or my characters to not drop orders when a butterfly passes by. Don't even get me started on trying to rally reinforcements from the 3rd stack inwards in a timely manner.

Has anyone modded in an attack-move command yet?

I use this to give the AI control of my front line infantry after the initial clash. They don't tend to make the smartest decisions but they will at least attack things without you needing to constantly babysit. Might be my favorite mod in this game tbh.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

yeti friend posted:

Calling bess bad is one of the craziest things i've ever seen in this thread.

It was in the running for best unit in the game in TWW2 but with the AI changes they've made it's a little questionable now. Mortar-style shots just get dodged unless you're firing on already-engaged clumps. Which is still useful considering the Bess' level of firepower, if potentially a bit dangerous, but nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Skaven have by far the best voice lines. Their speech patterns make them sound like a coked out Yoda.

Vilitch has the best voice lines, but Skaven in general are up there. Goblins too. Can't get enough of watching gobbos advancing forward while getting pelted by artillery, constantly yelling "DIS STINKS!".

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

You know while we're on the topic, there's also some fuckery going on with firing rates. I can stack reload buffs on a casket until it hits a ~2sec reload speed and a listed dps of over ten thousand, but it's not actually doing that. For one, when running at normal speed the shots come out every 4-5 seconds, which mean the game has a very different definition of 'reload' than I do, and more importantly a dps that high would mean that it's killing an entire infantry unit every second, which it obviously not happening.

There's always been a cap on how fast a unit can fire, even if their card says otherwise. Very easy to hit with Thorek's Quarrelers. There's also a cap on unit movement speed based on their animations, where getting additional speed will show up on the unit card but do nothing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

wet_goods posted:

you can melt anything with 19 gutter runners and Skitch

I love how infrequently people spell Snaktch's name correctly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ErKeL posted:

Rotting Prometheans are elite for holding the line because it's been awhile since I played them but I'm reasonably sure your gunners can shoot under/around them a lot easier than regular infantry.

Woulda been sick and befitting of the faction playstyle if VCoast crabs had longer legs that gunners could shoot under with ease.

This is the ideal single entity monster. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i love this guy's face on the right:

gotta be upset when you're sold on a crusade to araby and wind up walking into hell by accident

Peasants are some goofy bastards and I had a good time taking screenshots of them for a mod I made back in TWW2:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

AR is funny like that, it can feel bad to AR battles that you know are way undercounting your opponent, but technically it makes the most sense. And then when you get a good army you want to fight with it but there are less and less worthy opponents and the game gets less interesting. Not really sure how to solve that issue though.

I use the cost-based caps mod so that armies need to stay within a reasonably similar power level, a mod to boost AI autoresolve so that I need to fight manually more often and so that they're more willing to take on battles in general, and occasionally one that disables autoresolve unless the balance of power is either super high or super low. All of these combined really helps with all of this.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 23, 2022

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wallet posted:

Rebanner is still really popular but Drink It is the one I personally don't like playing without. Maybe people like clicking poo poo more than I do.

This is one of the top 10 mods on the workshop imo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahahahahahah this loving rules

The short story associated with this is fun:
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Skaven#Doom_of_Kavzar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

wet_goods posted:

This playthrough has been insanely fun regardless, It’s refreshing to not have a blob of a nation and instead just taking the regions I want and subjugating the rest. I have over 10 vassals now who act as guards for elf island and bretonia/ lizard land.

I loved this campaign until I got to the logical next step which was to seduce the rest of the seducable world. Not recommended. Managing 30 cultists every turn is a nightmare. I had almost everyone but just could not summon the willpower to grab the last few factions.