Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't know much about Warhammer, so I have a question: why does there seem to be two, but unrelated Warhammer universes? I'm looking up lore ahead of this game and there are things like a ghost race that seem neat conceptually but they're not a part of of this Warhammer world that shows up in the Total War games. What am I missing here?

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

In tabletop what makes a legendary caster powerful? They cast the same spells as a basic wizard right?

Basically, how a normal caster works is like this:
- At the start of the battle, you roll randomly what spells they know. Normal mages usually know between one and two spells of the single lore they're devoted to
- Each magic phase, you get a random number of magic dice, and each caster has a chance of manifesting an extra die
- To cast a spell, you pick a a spell and a number of dice, roll them, and try to get a result higher than whatever the spell demands. If you beat the spell score the spell works, if not it fails. More powerful (or boosted) spells usually need higher results.
- Opposing mages can then try to dispell your spell by beating your roll
- Here's where it gets spicy: If you roll 2 or more sixes on that roll, you get what's called irresistible force. The spell goes off irrespective of overall result and cannot be dispelled, but afterwards Bad Things happen to your mage, ranging from forgetting the spell they just used to outright exploding.

Now, let's look at Teclis, high elf rear end in a top hat magician extraordinaire, and see how he breaks all these rules:
- Teclis knows all spells from any lore he likes.
- Teclis gets up to three free magic dice each turn
- Teclis casts with irresistible force any time he rolls any double, not just sixes
- Teclis can ignore the Bad Things that happen from an irresistible force result
- When an opposing mage tries to cast a spell, Teclis can decide that Actually No They Didn't and even make that mage forget the spell they attempted on top of it

Ordinarily, magic in the tabletop is a bit of a balancing act. It's got huge destructive potential, but it's also unreliable. You try to thread the needle where you put enough power into your spells to get them to go off, but not so much that you blow yourself up. As a result, magic tends to be quite swingy: Sometimes your mage annihilates the enemy's most important units, sometimes they don't cast a single successful spell all battle, sometimes they manage to blow up both the enemy front line as well as your own, sometimes they simply don't get the right spells for the job.

The big advantage of legendary mages is usually that they remove a lot of the randomness in your favour. Look at Teclis up there: He always knows the exact spells you need for a given opponent, he's borderline guaranteed to successfully cast at least one spell each turn (including the most expensive/powerful ones), and he can pretty much decide that you opponent doesn't get to do magic at all.

e: beaten as badly as a level 1 fire mage facing Teclis

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Is there any lore or tabletop justification for the Tzeentch barriers?

A little bit, but not exactly. In tabletop, there were basically two ways of not getting killed when you get hit: An armor save and an ward save. Armour is pretty self-explanatory and reasonably common, but can be reduced by powerful or armor-piercing attacks. Ward represents varieties of magical protection and is much rarer, but it usually can't be reduced. Many legendary characters have a ward save, as do most magical creatures, and IIRC all daemons also do. Now, Tzeentch's thing is that all its demons have an especially strong protection in this regard, mechanically represented by them being able to re-roll failed ward saves, making them unusually resistant even if they get hit with a cannonball to the face.

The thing is though, ward saves are already represented in the TW games. I can see why they'd want to emphasize it a bit more than just an extra strong ward save, but the whole regenerative aspect is a completely new thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say, I have no idea how to do the Kislev faction mechanic. Getting devotion seems to take forever, and even when I try to time the Invocations I get like maybe 10 or so supporters out of it. Meanwhile the other factions seems to be getting 2 supporters per turn no problem.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, Slaanesh is fun in field battles, but kinda miserable in settlement/sieges. How am I supposed to flank anything when the whole place is just narrow streets with barricades plastered everywhere?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Slaanesh was more fun than I thought... but half his roster also seems to suck balls. The chariots barely accomplish anything and his cavalry is so squishy. He feels so weak coming from Khorne

Those anteater suckbeast fiends of his are pretty great though

Yeah, I'm running into the same thing. Everything to do with the strategic layer and diplomacy is fun and good, but fighting actual battles tends to be fiddly and annoying annoying. Though I've found getting yourself some units of other factions through allegiance and seduction is a way around it, having a halfway solid frontline helps a bunch.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of legendary lords, what are people's thoughts on what to do with the Cathay ones? Considering that the cooldown of the transformation is fairly substantial, it feels like you're encouraged to focus them towards either dragon-form fighter or human-form caster, at least initially. Personally I've gone with the former since it's not like Cathay are starved for magic, but I do wonder if I'm missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It does feel a bit weird that factions vassalized through Slaanesh shenanigans can just unilaterally decide to un-vassalize themselves for no particular reason.