Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. N'kari didn't even show up for the chaos invasion, so I guess their evil plan was to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I keep getting kicked out of the chaos realm at random, making the campaign literally impossible. Feels bad to be winning on the campaign map, but getting completely poo poo canned by bugs to the point I'm going to have to restart the campaign.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

I have yet to see the bug to kick you out of the chaos realm.
It's possible, but unlikely that happened to me. I actually got attacked through the portal by an army that wasnt even in the chaos realm, then it kicked me. I tried another portal since I had plenty of time, and it kicked me the next turn. I think getting attacked by an army that should have been thousands of miles away might be the cause, but who tf knows. It just sucks that you are absolutely required to do the chaos realm, and either I'm not in a position to do it when they spawn, or I'm ready for it, but it boots me. Makes the campaign absolutely infuriating, especially because everything on the actual map is going peachy.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I usually had alt tab issues with tww2, it always seemed to work better from the steam overlay than the game itsself if that works for you.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They already have the mod pixel to nip it in the bud.

Personally, I'm waiting for the less blood mod so when blood for the blood god comes out I can still see the models.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I feel like the lizardmen could be both sexes already lore withstanding. The different vocal pitch and noticable dimorphism isn't really necessary for lizards. Also, females having higher pitched voices isn't necessarily a given with non-lizard species. Listen to the river troll hag voice lines; sounds pretty low and gruff to me. My point really is that in many of these cases, they could write it in with no other changes and call it good.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If Kislev gets the unit tuning they so desperately need they'd probably be my favorite faction, as is my favorite is still gonna be Empire. Free Company Militia 4 Lyfe
I bought the game for a friend when it was on sale and the empire gameplay didnt click for him, so I got drunk and showed him the strat of spamming free company and cackling. Free company is the most underrated doomstack: it's not elite, but goddamn if it doesn't work wonders against anything the AI throws at you early to mid game. They are only going to get better against nurgle, slannesh with spear support and early game ogres.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Ran into a big problem in the Realm of Slaanesh: The descent portals don't do anything. I just stand on top of them and nothing happens. I tried moving back and forth, advancing the turn, and leaving the realm and re-entering.

Edit: Closing and coming back to the game fixed it.
Saving and loading works too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Whoever did the sky boxes should be lauded, I've put the cameras on cinematic for the first time and like it.
The skyboxes are pretty great. I like that you can look in the sky and try to find the chaos god watching you in their realm. I also liked the horned rat skybox in the second game and it hits the same spot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

jokes posted:

Age of Sigmar doesn’t have the Bringer of Tod
One thing I did not expect was liking Toddy even more after playing as Skrag.

He's all, Karl Franz, gently caress that guy, this cannibalistic body horror monster is my new best friend!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The RoR is Slambo's Wham Bros.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ogre kingdoms is a paid DLC.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I really wanted to like wh3, but the unit responsiveness problem was far too frustrating. It felt like orders were mere suggestions and more often or not, units would stand around doing nothing or even worse, expose their backs.

Flying units are pretty bad too with the whole flap around in circles and never attack thing. Ranged units are nerfed by their inability to attack, and holy hell, the seige map tower placement is really, really, bad. Like if you really hate that one house in particular, go ahead and build the tower next to it so it can blast away at the surrounding buildings, but many of them are just scenery.

The optimization is pretty crap too and it crashes where i never had a problem in either previous game. Idk, it will probably get better someday, but I beat the fantastic ogre campaign and went back to 2. I think acting like these aren't real issues isn't helpful. I want to like the game, but it's not fun to play.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's going to be hilarious when literally every faction will have easy access to tomb king units. Setra is one of the most reliable, non biased lords in the game.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They should give dwarves a speed bonus out of combat and some kind of skirmish ranged and a cavalry option so you can throw that bullshit in the trash and play helman ghorst.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I like that they patched out that dead chariots have collision, removing the only good thing about war wagons.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A little late, but globadiers are good against saurus if you have no dlc units. Get them to throw down the line while your crap infantry holds using something like a chevron formation. It will help in the early to mid game so hopefully you won't be fighting full on tier 5 lizardmen.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Engineers buffing weapon teams is bonkers powerful.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Give me Flesh Eater Courts, even if it makes the timeline a little hinky. VC rosters, some bastardization of Bretonnian mechanics mixed with Raise Dead. Make it happen please.
The timeline is already hosed. CA has already stated it is of no concern (good).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I was really excited about the realms of chaos campaign before we knew better. I still think something like pausing the main map while you're in the chaos realm would help because losing your main army for 10 turns is so punishing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'll probably do the realms of chaos 2 more times. Once to finish it and unlock belakor because it crashed the first time I beat the final battle and didn't feel like doing it again, and a second time as kislev to get boris. Then I'm done with it unless a must play dlc campaign takes place there.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'd see which races you like to play before getting dlc for them. For the most part, dlcs don't radically change the races play style with a few exceptions. I think I made a post about how dlc reliant the factions are I can dig up.

Edit- found it in the old thread. Still relevant in the new game, because the only dlcs are ogres, blood and chaos (loving chaos.) Chaos and beastmen are way better as factions now, I still think beastmen without the big monsters is kinda meh, but their campaign mechanics are great.

Just for the dlc buyers out there: some factions benefit more from dlc than others.

The full faction DLCs from 2 are both very good complete factions. The full faction DLCs from 1 are a real mixed bag. Personally I'd rank them wood elves, Norska, chaos, beastmen. Wood elves had a nice update for the second game, the rest are kind of janky these days.

Dark elves, Empire, Wood elves, vampire counts, and dwarfs are fine out of the box. The dlcs they do have add very nitch units you won't really miss.

The lizardmen and high elves aren't terrible with no dlc, but their dlcs add new options that can change they types of armies you can build. Queen and the crone gives high elves possibly the most powerful unit in the game.

Orcs are OK with no additional units, but having Skarsnik and the night goblins opens up options, as does grom. The river troll hag really can tie the room together, and the stone trolls let you diversify your armies somewhat. The rogue idol is a gimmick, like the dread saurian, but is really fun to have around. Be warned though, the king and the warlord campaigns are no cakewalk. Skarsnik's campaign would be a terrible first go, stick with ol Wurzag if you're looking for an easy green skin start.

Skaven with no dlc are poor. Lord Skrulk does ok, but you'll find the one army that works and just use that. You can build a more stealth vanguard deployment army, or a weak line with slinger spam, but either way you'll depend on artillery and plague priests to pay the bills. Any of their 3 DLCs will make them much more powerful, maybe too powerful, as they all add great units and insanely strong lords with abilities ranging from nuclear weapons to deleting entire factions off the campaign map with a single click no matter how large or powerful they are.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 22, 2022

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Prophet and the warlock is a solid pick. They play the same campaign as the base lords which is really the only bad thing I can say about it. I know ikit is the poo poo and a fan favorite, but the lizard side of the dlc is really nice too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'll rank the DLCs.

Ghorst tier: grim and the grave

Worst tier: everything else

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Overall agree with the rest of the post but this point here is quite out of date — beastmen and warriors of chaos are supremely fun and kickass now, definitely recommend picking them up for unique, albeit a little bit easy, campaigns.

Norsca is still a little janky though, it definitely needs a rework and a few new LLs to get up to par with CA’s modern standards.

E: looks like you pointed this out yourself, lol. Still worth reiterating that beastmen and chaos rule now, don’t let steam reviews from 2016 dissuade you
Yea I wrote that before the rework when they sucked bad. I like all the beastmen except Kazrak, and chaos is pushed as hell these days.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Alarielle seems like the most straightforward campaign to me. She buffs the most powerful unit on the roster, which is also a counter to her nearest enemy legendary lord.

The amount of sign posting she gets is insane. There is a gate that all hell is braking loose from, and a sketchy sword beyond it, go do that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It doesn't help or feel good when the tower placement is so unbelievably bad on some maps. Some are boxed in by houses, some are inside other buildings, some only can fire on some distant point on the map that will never see battle, and most of them cannot hit targets in the lane they are supposed to defend. I never found them powerful outside of the perimeter towers that can hit where the enemy is deployed.

Put me in the settlement maps are awful camp. I find them worse than they were in 2.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Prophet and the Warlock is also the best lizardmen dlc. Salamanders and space lazers open up new army builds, and ripperdactlys round out tic taq tos army. I like the skirmishers and the dread saurian from the other 2 dlcs, but they don't really change much, as you already have giant dinos and chameleon skins without them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's a funny way to say Helman Ghorst.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Pretty cool that tww3 has 5 factions that desperately need a dlc meant for another race.

Holy crap are the mono god factions anemic. One legendary lord choice, one generic, and one hero.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I legit know nothing about the table top game. It's just so weird that you get no choices for the lord or hero. It feels so half baked.

I'm guessing demon armies weren't really supported in tt? Seems like a layup to just have a bored dude with a pot of coffee sketch up a bunch of concepts when the lore has so much to draw on. I think I heard that there weren't mono god demon armies and they were a mash up of all the demons like Daniel? That would make more sense because you would have more options, but as it is, chaos warriors have everything the mono gods do, but easier to get, and they don't have to pay 15 dollars to use chosen.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Give everyone IE, but owning all 3 unlocks the army painter.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Don't let me dream of neon pink zombie hordes
My mind goes straight to clan eshin in safety orange. Something about ninjas in high visibility vests really gets me laughing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ikit is the easiest of the skaven gimmicks, but any of the 3 dlcs is enough to make them a strong faction. Mortars, flanking and warp grinders to net them down is a perfectly viable gimmick. So is base skaven plus mobility and tanky monsters. Throt isn't exactly a weak lord by any stretch of the imagination. It obviously gets even more ridiculous when you can mix and match, but personally, I find all 3 to be very strong independent of the others. Without dlc, it's not impossible, but there are trap options like trying to make a storm vermin line and there's really only one viable stack that you can kind of sort of customize by using a slot for a doomwheel or a hellpit abomination but you really just want another plague priest.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I thought their whole role was to be exactly that?
They're better as a secondary. Let your enemy get bogged down in chaff and summons and send in the storm vermin to keep them off your squishy artillery.

Honestly, the best front line is multiple plague priests. 2 of them is like bringing an extra army of disposable units.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chakan posted:

PYF: tier 0 unit

zombies for me
Zombies, skavenslave slingers close second.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Is champions of chaos the only dlc that wasn't paired with a free lord? It's kind of lame it's the fix the faction dlc for 6 different factions. God drat do chaos demons need more starting positions, because I dig slaneesh, but you can't get chosen without dlc, even if you have the OG chaos warriors and after playing the only lord on both campaigns there isn't much else to do. Idk, it was kind of a lame dlc to me. Really only has one new unit and a bunch of reskins.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They should have included a rat in a poofy hat.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you play coop with warriors of chaos, having one person pilot the hell cannon while the other person controls the army can rack up ridiculous kills. Like you can send the fireball down an entire line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I made a post a ways back about factions reliance on dlc I can dredge up and update, because I think I described the ol beastmen as pointless and bad, when they are in fact not bad anymore.

Also, I think warhammer 3 + prophet and the warlock or the warden and the paunch gets you the most lords for your buck. If you get both, that's 4 more races and 10 new lords for not that much money, bringing it up to 20 campaigns to figure out what else you would like to play.