Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

also he looks like this

MYAH

yeah yeah he got an updated model but this one is better

Yeah, the new model just looks like he is massively overcompensating for something. This one is just peak evil confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Having read Nagash's entire 1d4chan page I'm not sure how any playable faction can do him justice. He'll probably be player-balanced worse than the Huns.

Remember Mazdamundi and Teclis, who are both supposed to be on the same level of power. "The founder of Necromancy, one of the most powerful magic users in the setting and someone that is capable of destroying a continent with a single ritual" translates in TW: Warhammer to something like "a spell list that is mix of Lore of Vampires and Death, a skill that gives -10% cool-down to spells and +15 winds of magic and maybe a bound spell or two if he is really lucky".

The CA does pretty good job of portraying notable martial characters as absolute ball-wreckers but I don't think they managed to get a single powerful mage right so far.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, but your mage hero who is supposed to be just some random schmuck will do as good of a job as your mage LL that is supposed to be one of the strongest mages in the setting. In comparison, the difference between a random elven Noble and Tyrion, or Imrik is far more clear.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make barriets regenerate only when you cast spells, IMHO. With the amount of barrier regained based on Wind of Magic cost.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

genericnick posted:

Couldn't you just fiddle with the max barrier number?

Obviously, but that's a boring solution.:colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
From what little I played it seems to me that Minor settlements heavily incentivize fast units and really disincentivize ranged in general. The long and narrow lanes and obstructions everywhere make it really difficult to focus fire, or even to get your units in range to be able to fire at anything at all. Meanwhile, if you can slip a bunch of fast cavalry/monsters/skirmishers through the unguarded entry, you can cause huge mayhem in the settlement, forcing the AI to send a bunch of units to deal with it, weakening their position (and you often have superior speed and can eat them piecemeal). And with a bit of luck, you can just go straight for the control point and win the game outright.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

tildes posted:

Yes it is a ui error. Your stuff will still cost more.

It's worse than that. Basically, if you recruit a Lord and then disband them, you get permanently stuck with their supply lines upkeep penalty because if you re-recruit a previously disbanded Lord, you get a new upkeep penalty and suiciding them will only get rid of the latest one. So it's entirely possible to accumulate a massive, unremovable upkeep penalty if you are used to doing things like recruiting a Lord to colonize a ruin and then disbanding them.

And no, don't ask me why I had to restart my Kislev campaign. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Plays and runs better on my potato machine than wh2 did so thats nice.

Same actually. Also have potato machine, also runs a lot better than wh2, especially loading times. I can even afford to run Lost Ark login queue in another window without my computer making GBS threads itself, which I didn't believe was possible.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean it just shows how different are the tastes of people playing the game. For me, Mortal Empires was ignored afterthought of a game mode, while the various Vortex campaigns were the meat of the game I spent like 95% of time in. I have still not finished a single Mortal Empire campaign, despite being pretty much done with WH2, while completing something like 12 Vortex campaigns.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ethiser posted:

No one “finishes” a Mortal Empires campaign they just play until it gets boring. Outside of using mods to change them the victory conditions are mostly nonsense.

I know, which is exactly why I ended up ignoring it. Vortex campaigns usually had the good grace to end just as they were getting boring, while Mortal Empire campaigns ended because they got too boring to continue. The former is just far more enjoyable to me than the latter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
No way. They really made "you can shoot over head of your dwarf allies" a thing? :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The 20% Ward save on Patriarchs Kostaltyn gets is also pretty big deal. Together with their buffs it turns them into solid semi-combat heroes once they get their bear.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is roughly 0% chance that GW and CA will blow something so major as retooling the Old World in an old-new setting for something so minor as DLC. There will absolutely be a new title, with hopefully less cumbersome name than Total War: Warhammer: The Old World.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Actually, "dogs" is just how Khorne calls all of his underlings. Therefore "dogs of Khorne" clearly means "every Khorne unit". :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Caravan is one of the coolest additions that they made to the game. I can't wait to see if they let you recruit, say, Knights Errant or some other mercs into them. The big map has such enormous possibilities.

High Elves should absolutely have a nautical version of it, not that they need yet another overpowered mechanic... :v:

So should the Empire and Bretonnia, along with the mirror of the same Caravan system, just towards Cathay, for Empire.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Also, is anyone disappointed that Horrors don't split?

Nah, from the very beginning it was abundantly clear that implementing it would be a technical and balancing nightmare due to how Total War works. Them spending the required effort and resources on literally anything else was the correct decision.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am unironically curious about Arghy Vision mod and would play the hell out of it.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 3, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

What is the major drawback of the chaos dwarves? It seems they're "Dwarves, but also with magic" which seems like a step up from "just dwarves". Are there just less of them in the lore to make up for that or something?

Everyone kinda forgets it when they are hyping themselves about Chaos Dwarves, but their roster is built around their Greenskin war slaves, with the actual Chaos Dwarves and their war machines being pretty rare and considered super elite, so I think they will play really differently from normal Dwarves. I assume everything outside late-game doomstacks will be mostly various Greenskin units serving as chaff and cavalry with a small core of Chaos Dwarf infantry and war machines. So probably more similar to Skaven than Dwarves, just more durable overall, with more heavily armored infantry instead of long ranged weapon teams as their upper tier choices.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

Empire TW had exactly this in the form of Dragoon units. Mounted ranged infantry. They couldn't shoot while mounted, but the idea was to use the mounts to rapidly get them into flanking positions, then dismount and have them form shooting lines. They were always pretty terrible to use and manage, but frankly that was just because it was always better to form your battle lines and use artillery to force the engagement.

Empire Outriders (at least the non-grenade launcher variant) are literally this, just with the hassle of having to manually manage mounting/dismounting removed. They are always on horseback, but you use them exactly the same way you would use Dragoons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm not so sure, Khorne actually seems to be into women who do things like that. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The real question is how do dwarves in the Thunderer units feel about being recruited just so that humans with their lovely muskets can fire over their heads. Like are they ok with it, or is that a minor grudge?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Since I'm already complaining, (if anyone from CA reads this) when I order Skarbrand to attack the enemy spellcaster, what I want him to do is beat the wizard to death, not hit him once and then start fighting something else while the spellcaster goes on his merry way.

You really want Skarband beat up some nerd in a bathrobe when they are literally hundreds of warriors that can give him a proper fight around? He is a berserker, not a bully, ok?/Also, he technically fulfilled your order and attacked a mage, so why are you even complaining? :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As I discovered recently, this changed a bit in Age of Sigmar: https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tornus

Stealing the souls of Chaos champions who can be redeemed from Chaos and allowing them to take revenge on it as fantasy Space Marines is a neat concept.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kazzah posted:

Man, they must be totally rebuilding the last 2 years of TW2 updates or something

Yeah, this is my take as well. It's pretty clear that they did the Norsca oopsie again, except they somehow managed to gently caress it up even harder this time. On the other hand, the fact that they are willing to hunker down and weather the shitstorms while doing all the unexciting but necessary fundamental fixes points to the exact opposite of them wanting to cut their losses and abandon the game. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

TWW2 was a god damned money printer where they could churn out a $10-20 DLC every couple of months and people would beg them for more on an unending basis, and TWW3 promised to be the exact same, so there's very little financial incentive for them to "cut their losses". Historical games can be very successful but no historical game in CA's history has provided remotely near the consistent, ongoing revenue stream the TWW games have.

Exactly. They are betting that if they focus on the base game and fix the most pressing issues, they will be able to open the DLC floodgates, lure back and retain most of the players they are currently losing, and go back to printing money. And they are probably right.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 29, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fine with the Roadmap.

I am too, to be honest. They correctly identified, and will hopefully satisfyingly fix, the most pressing issues and there is some interesting content already in the works (the Chaos Warrior rework and the Lord packs). The release schedule is super slow and the game is not in good state right now, but meh, this won't be neither my first, nor my longest, break from Total War: Warhmmer. :shrug:.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It really sucks for said immortal dragon-gods that the MacGuffin that can (and does) destroy the world is hidden in some podunk town in northern not-Germany and when fate of the world will be decided they will have absolutely no say in it. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Didn’t AoS massively increase sales for GW compared to old warhammer fantasy? Seems like it was a pretty smart move tbh

The same management that decided to blow up the old Warhammer Fantasy setting also turned Age of Sigmar into unmitigated disaster. It took a pretty massive infusion of new blood into leadership positions of GW to course correct and make Age of Sigmar successful. So the people that made Age of Sigmar successful would most likely made the old Warhammer Fantasy successful as well. And they seem to agree, considering the amount of support Total War: Warhammer recieves from them and the decision to launch the whole "Warhammer: The Old World" thing. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arghy posted:

It could be done by giving each unit a threat level so the AI knows for instance that

Only if Heavy Infantry gets Taunt and Skirmishers can use Disengage to drop aggro. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

Launch skaven had you raid your own territory for food.

That is skaven as gently caress and you won't convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

This Ork needs to be unique character/legendary lord yesterday.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just give Skaven their unreliability mechanics from tabletop. A full Skaven ranged army fighting a full melee army, should end with both armies being basically destroyed, despite the melee army never even reaching Skaven lines. :getin:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whats supposed to be in Antarctica in the warhammer world?

The same hole to Chaos Realm as in the north, but because there are no playable faction nearby, literally everyone in the setting completely ignores it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Literally any unit and Sisters of Avelorn are gonna be a force to be reckoned with. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The "immobilize" agent action can counter incredible amount of AI movement bullshit and some agents can get enough bonuses to the "assault units" agent action that it actually does meaningful damage to enemy armies, but otherwise yeah. And of course, killing other agents is always useful.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lord Packinham posted:

Like, I’m glad you think they are going to magically implement all these things but the reality is that the IE that comes out in august is going to be very rough and not going to have most of these things as CA has said.

I’m not doomposting as much as I am being realistic. They haven’t even released the blood dlc yet lol.

"I am being realistic" is exactly the sort of thing someone doomposting would say. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Anno posted:

So far Nurgle is super cool. Took awhile to kind of figure out what's good and how the cycling works, but I think I have it now and it's a really nice change of pace. This might be new faction of choice.

Yeah, I am actually super loving Nurgle. His play-style both on strategic and tactical map is super cool and unique. And it might be the impact of some balance patches, or having overwhelming expectations of how much he sucks, but he doesn't really seem weak to me? His units might be super slow, but grinding enemies to dust between two anvils is both effective and kinda rules.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As someone who wasn't a big fan of Mortal Empires, almost every new info about Immortal Empires makes me more and more excited to give it a whirl, so job well done, CA.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC the new Chaos LL will drop relatively close to Immortal Empire release, so I assume that all the weird holes in the new starting positions, like Chaos-free Kislev or no Tzeentch vs. Cathay, will be filled by the new LLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Oxyotl is the one LL whose starting position doesn't matter that much, because his campaign mechanics means you will be jumping all over the whole map anyways. Nakai in Cathay will be fun.