Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Oof, just fought Kugath and got an 8 turn attrition plague for my troubles. Any way to clear that or am i stuck parking this army for 8 turns while i wait for it to clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

so Kugath is kinda bullshit, ya? After beating him the 1st time and getting an 8 turn attrition plague on my army, he respawned with a whole new stack and I fought him again with the original, now much more injured stack. It had only been 5 turns since I last beat him and when I beat him again, it reset the timer on my attrition plague back to 8 turns. Wtf, how am I supposed to beat him if he can respawn with a whole stack in under 8 turns and keep that attrition going indefinitely?

Gonna prioritize wiping his filth off of this map so I dont have to deal with this bullshit

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Kugath can't respawn with a full stack an unlimited number of times, instead he has a recruitment pool that gets units dropped into it by each recruitment building every three turns or so - and good units dropped in less often. Also his newly recruited units are at about a third health. Finally Nurgle has some major weaknesses; low armour, slow troops, no anti-large. Shoot them to ribbons.

im able to win against Kugath in the field just fine, I just dont understand how CA thought the attrition plague lasting for 8 drat turns was reasonable. Its basically shutting down my stack for that whole time and since it only takes a few turns for Kugath to respawn and reinfect my army again, I dont really have any counterplay other than wipe out his faction or avoid fighting him at all costs

Am I getting unlucky by getting that specific plague two times in a row, or is that intended behavior when fighting Nurgle? Ive seen a few plagues that Nurgle has and none of them are anywhere near as debilitating as "attrition and no replenishment for 8 turns"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It's the generic "Corrupted by Nurgle" trait you get from being in a region with high Nurgle corruption. It's unremovable unlike the Realm of Chaos traits, and it affects your replenishment which is a death-nail for Slaanesh + Tzeentch cause they barely have any.

You can get round it by replacing lords or just recruiting new units, but it's horrible to get on N'kari or Kairos. Plus recruiting new units makes the later red line buffs fairly pointless.

Edit: Technically I do think it is removeable, but you have to be in a region with low Chaos corruption (it doesn't differ between the types) which y'know, you're playing as N'kari or Kairos :v:

jesus, CA really saddled a lot of unfun bullshit into fighting Nurgle. How did this and the 8 turn attrition plague make it past game-testing? They completely shut down any stack that gets affected

gonna finish this campaign and maybe wait until mod support so I can remove this BS

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

an attrition plague could maybe work, in theory, but the way it is implemented right now fuckin sucks and is terribly unfun. The player has no option for dealing with it and it lasts for so long that I was in disbelief when I first saw the 8 turn timer and of course the same plague can get reapplied to the army so it can last indefinitely if they are unlucky

Either make it last way less, like 2-3 turns max and make it unable to be reapplied if the army is already sick or make it so the player can cure plague by resting in the capitol or something like that. Give the player something they can do to get their army back on track

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Khorne can get that as part of their tech tree

ya, its weird since its behind a tech that says it only gives vanguard to the flesh hounds which is completely useless since they already have vanguard. I wonder if the description is completely wrong, but the tech is working as intended or if its bugged somehow and giving the entire roster vanguard when it should only be a unit or two. Either way, its pretty fun lining up your entire army like 30 feet in front of the enemy right before the battle. Poor bastards never stood a chance

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Staltran posted:

Doesn't the AI actually ignore the cooldown, often starting to rebuild a tower the second it's destroyed? If the AI actually respected the... 2 minute? cooldown the player gets when a tower it's destroyed, the tower spam would be greatly reduced since a tower would pop back up 210 seconds after destruction, not 90.

agreed 100%. I actually kinda like the settlement battles even though I thought I would hate them, but the AI starting the rebuilding of the towers instantly is very grating. It feels unfair in an unfun way rather than the fun ways the game can tilt the odds in the AI's favor

That being said, I do really like that capturing the points will instantly destroy any towers or barricades. Feels very satisfying and it gives a nice objective to go for when attacking

Other than the above quote, the only other change I might like would be to make it so only level 3 settlements get the settlement battles. Lower levels should just be a field battle that has a big advantage in terrain for the defenders. Im sure there will be mods for this eventually and even now, I dont really have any issues attacking settlements, just would be a nice change imo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WarEternal posted:

Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

i would play the poo poo out of a Total Warhammer roguelike where each run you try to lead an army through a bunch of battles and choices to try and upgrade your stack and beat the final boss

they could include a bunch of the broken mechanics from the campaign as rewards for events and even have cool mix-and-match armies. Just gotta stay on top of casualties or else your stack might hit a death spiral and fail

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

in my first campaign i did slaanesh's realm first and took 75k plus that follower that levels up lords super quick. That early cash and experience was a huge boon that allowed me to steamroll the rest of the campaign. By the end, its chump change, but at the start of a campaign, that can really jumpstart your nation and allow the player to play very aggressively to make the most of it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the main downside to taking Slaanesh's bargain is that you need at least 5 Urson roars to win the campaign. At this point in my current campaign, Urson just did his fourth roar and Im pretty sure I'll have complete control of the map by the time Urson roars again. Cathay is the only nation left doing the race right now and Im currently busting down their wall with near endless doomstacks. Skarbrand owns

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i like it when the rats roll around in a big wheel and hit a dinosaur with their magic lightning pew pew

I just started a new Ikkit Claw campaign and took Itza at around turn 20. It was very harrowing since i didnt have my starting capitol upgraded yet so my only army was mostly clanrats with the starting ratling and jezails versus a pretty high tier lizardman stack

Managed to barely pull through mainly due to my starting nuke and Ikkit spamming the gently caress out of warp lightning. The jezails were very helpful in taking out the SEM as well. Very fun fight, cant wait until i get my war crimes stack up and running

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

why are they called Movie Mods?

are they extra cinematic?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I hate to break it to you but you suck at TW games. You're talking about things as challenges that I barely even think of as trivial obstacles.

this too long for a thread title?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Did CA just confirm that the player needs to have all 3 Warhammer games to play IE?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

This has been confirmed for a whiiiiiile.

I thought there hasnt been any update to that stance since 3 came out and i was hoping they may have changed their minds

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

drat, that map is purty

cant wait to crump da whole world

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Dawi are also strong overall and any real weaknesses they have are caused by their tough starting circumstances. In virtually every Dawi campaign that has to deal with it once you get Grimgrog's boot off your beard you're hardpressed to actually lose.

"You can unify the North" when that's the most classic and quickest way to death spiral a Norscan campaign? Come on now.

Norsca's campaign mechanics are super long in the tooth with a dozen+ problems easily. They have so many outdated, horribly lovely disadvantages and their research tree is just a bunch of lose/lose decisions or designed for insanity like 200-300+ turn campaigns. They're still clunking along with a single Generic Melee Lord option for recruiting past their 2 LLs so they actually have the worst magic access in the game, forcing you to T3 the worst infrastructure on one of the worst economies with the worst defenses and multiple foes. They have a base 5 turn Global Recruitment because: ??? They're the defacto worst faction in the game and before that they were rounding out the bottom 3 with old Greenskins and old Beastmen. With the new peninsulas greatly expanded the frozen north they need a lot of updating anyway or dark gods help us we're gonna see even worse dogpiles on Wulfric in IE. They also need WH3 era touch ups to make their no walls nonsense viable. Thankfully Ogres have shown the way on that front already.

Norsca IS bad. Norscan Roster? Not bad. Please, my friend, don't let CA hear you say "Norsca isn't bad." They might believe it. I don't want Norsca to get the Beastmen treatment(so easy they can be dull) but they can certainly take off a few of the shackles.

monstrous infantry are my favorite unit type in the game and Norsca has them in spades. It would be so amazing if their campaign mechanics were revamped for 3, theyd might be my favorite faction if that happened

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Nice. So it seems like I would want to use that over a shrieking blade that causes Fear and Terror with magic attacks unless I'm going up against vampires right? Enemies are better smashed flat than just running right?

pretty sure Throgg already causes fear, but maybe not terror. Still, i think the +AP blade would be better than the shrieking one, ya

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i dont know poo poo about Nagash in the lore(or really anything in the lore outside of these games) but im stoked for the big bad evil skeleton that will usher in the apocalypse cause that sounds like a bunch of fun and exciting potential mechanics to have in this game

I hope you get to play as him as well and have the most of the other factions united in trying to stop you

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Welp finally decided to nab this, any general tips for coming from 2 to this that may be helpful? Isn't there an unlockable bear rider dude I should go for in my first campaign or did I misread something?

i went with Skarbrand for my first campaign and had a blast. He has a melee infantry focused army that will shred anyone easily in a straight-up fight. Not to mention that Skarbrand himself is a loving monster that can solo whole armies once hes built up enough

On the campaign level, his faction is very easy and the cities can make a surprising amount of money if you build them up for economy, not that you ever really need to do that since you can just send Skarbrand anywhere to sack and pillage into the green

The prologue campaign is also surprisingly fun and has an interesting enough story to carry it for the 3-8 hours it takes to complete it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im glad that mods exist and ppl like them but ive put in hundreds of hours in all three games without mods and im looking forward to several more hundreds of hours

the thought that the games are unplayable unless modded seems strange to me. Maybe those overhauls will seem more enticing once ive gotten several thousand hours :shrug:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i just started a Thorek campaign. Im not very far but its pretty fun trying to chase down relics and build up cool items to give to my angry dwarves. I had Gotrek and Felix, but they seemed kinda useless? They couldnt level up and after 30 turns they just disappear. Also, they were pretty bad in combat, poor Felix would turn tail and run whenever the battle started to get difficult. Do you lose all the troops/items they have on them when they leave?

Arghy, what are the 3-4 units worth using? Would like to know before I start to build up my provinces too much. Been leaning on quarrelers, grudge-throwers, and dwarf warriors so far

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kanos posted:

It doesn't even make sense for longbeards because longbeards are specifically dwarf warriors of at least a certain age. You can be an experienced dwarf warrior without being a longbeard.

thats a really silly reason not to do something. I dont know the lore, but I doubt every dwarf warrior is some fresh-faced 20 year old so maybe the ones that are being upgraded are the older ones or something

regardless, itd be cool to have that system in a few other factions where it makes gameplay/lore sense

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

why do ppl hate Nakai's campaign so much? I thought it was really fun and focused. Just go around razing cities everywhere to give them to your vassal and build up a doom stack of blessed units with perfect vigor. and Boxigors, cant forget the nonstop Boxigors that have badass wrestling moves

Nakai himself is also really cool and will wreck poo poo in the battlefield. It was the first lizardmen campaign that I bothered to actually finish. Nice little short and sweet experience

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i guess i just dont get how dealing with the vassal sucked. You dont have to do anything, they just exist to absorb any cities you burn. Who cares if ppl declare on them or whatever, just let them die, its trivial to make more vassal states as Nakai

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did... did you play as Nakai? The vassal was a huge bitch to deal with because every AI that didnt like you declared on it.

yes, i beat the whole vortex campaign. It didnt matter if the whole world declared on me since I was a horde with a hell of a doomstack. If anyone wanted to step up to Nakai, let them. No one could take the crown but it was a lot of fun to see them try

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

id watch that movie, i bet itd be dope

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

drat, bout to finish my Thorek campaign and im starting to get real stoked for IE

Think I might actually do a Nakai run for my first go around. Good way to learn the map and if I get bored, no big deal to start a different LL

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

finished Thorek. Pretty good campaign, nice objectives and the bonuses from getting the artifacts were fun. Thorek's quarrelers were insane, managed to get them 130+ ranged weapon damage, which ive never even seen before on a non-artillery unit. One unit alone got over 600 kills in the final battle lol

Still tho, dwarves werent my favorite on the battlefield since they were sooooo drat slow. You have to rely on your artillery/ranged since your main line isnt very killy. No monstrous infantry either, which makes sense, but kinda sucks for me since those are my favorite types of troops. It was nice that all my melee guys were complete walls tho, so much armor and MD that I didnt have to worry if they get tarpitted, as long as I had some quarrelers nearby to do actual damage

fuuucck, now what campaign do I do next? Was thinking maybe vampirates, since I never beat that campaign, but theyre also kinda similar to dwarves in that theyre very slow and rely a lot on ranged, but they dont have a very good anvil for their powerful ranged hammer units so that might really trip me up

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i want to do a Taurox run but I dont have either beastmen or the Fury dlc. If I get just the Fury dlc, am I screwing myself out of anything besides the other LLs for the beastmen (i have no intention of reinstalling WH1 either way)

edit* one of the steam reviews implies that I need the og beastmen dlc to play as them in ME? that cant be right. I can at least use Taurox in ME, just not the other LLs, ya?

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 28, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

wow, this is really intricate and awesome. I know a lot of ppl were down on CA at the launch of WHIII, but theyve really stepped up to the plate and each change and announced feature has been better and better

also echoing what someone else said about how great it is that CA has been communicating all of this these past few weeks. Im not playing it now, but im getting hyped all over again for WHIII lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

my main trading partners in my Thorek campaign were a bunch of High Elves, including Tyrion

feels like that should go in the book tbh, sorry Thorek

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

isnt Valkia the one that ppl are most hype for? Would make sense to save her for last

itd be real cool to pair her reveal with the blood dlc as well

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

can confirm that dwarves being super slow completely dictated my campaign playthrough. Every army had to have at least 4 units of artillery cause if I had to march my slow rear end to the enemy, id lose every fight. They should make a dwarf LL that cant field artillery, thatd be a great challenge

Now im playing Taurox and getting a ton of whiplash cause the armies im fielding are like the exact opposite of the dwarves. Super fast and surprisingly killy with their charges, but no staying power at all and completely vacuous ranged options. Its a ton of fun and I think I prefer the faster and reactive armies compared to the kill boxes I was setting up with the dwarves

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I have never done well with cav in any Total War game even tho I know they are super good in a ton of scenarios so I never tried Brettonia. Might give them a shot if they are kinda similar to this beastmen playthrough

Im just really bad at micro cause I love to zoom in and turn off the UI to watch the fighting

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Arghy posted:

Uh i'm not sure if you know this but green skin replenishment is way better than yours so as dawi if you've lost 50% of your unit then you'll be fighting a full strength greenskin army in a few turns while you'll be lucky to get back 10% of said unit. If you take massive casualties as in an unaided dwarf warrior vs a skulker that unit might as well have died because that AI army will replenish to full in a few turns so unless you can wipe it out to stop them from replenishing you're dead. I've had to restart multiple campaigns because of replenishment where 2 armies stay out of reach wearing your army down.

Does Thorek have drastically increased replenishment, cause this was literally never an issue in my recent campaign. I dont recall any unit taking longer than 2-3 turns to fully replenish from near dead except the one time I pushed into a red climate province. Even then, when I realized it would have taken 10 turns to replenish, i just crossed the border to a nearby green climate area and everything was fixed

Also, couldnt you just merge all the injured units and recruit new ones if it was taking more than 5 turns to replenish? Even with just global recruitment, itd still be worth it if you needed that army ASAP

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really digging the look of the Tzeentch champions. CA is really blowing it out of the park with this DLC

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Massively lower the giant's weapon strength but give it a cleave passive that grants full damage to every model hit with its attacks so it can wipe out blobs of infantry better than any other SEM

Now it has a very good niche at taking out infantry blobs, but it will be bad at dueling and still be vulnerable to missile fire

I dont really know how weapon strength works in conjunction with entities that have big aoe swings on their attacks. Im assuming it spreads out the damage to every model hit, thats why almost all the models get back up when a couple dozen get knocked over. If im wrong in my assumption, then disregard my suggestion

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Giants are actually kind of useful in my current Taurox campaign because:
1)theyre pretty low-tier and its easy to get buildings that can recruit them
2)all units are free with no upkeep, so Im limited by unit caps instead, leading to
3)there's no reason not to take them in some armies because otherwise I would just get some lovely T1 infantry that doesnt have unit caps

Their performance in battles isnt too bad either. They dont get a lot of kills, but they do provide a great area to rally the rest of my garbage infantry around since their leadership will most likely hold throughout the whole battle. This leads the enemy to blob around my giants, making them a great anvil to bring my hammer down on, which beastmen have in abundance

They still get phased out as I unlock ghorgons and jabbersythes, but I have enough spare armies that I might as well keep a couple giants here and there. I guess this mostly comes down to faction and campaign mechanics and in multiplayer, nearly none of this is relevant. Im def not against buffing giants a bit cause it seems like they should be able to kick some rear end and they really cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Well not anymore. God that was some hilariously stupid bullshit.

i get why they fixed that glitch, but man it was badass lining up a bunch of bloodletters and minotaurs right on top of the enemy's lines. They should add another way to do that in IE, maybe once youve nearly won anyways