Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Perestroika posted:

Basically, some years ago Games Workshop (creators of the original setting and tabletop game) decided to nuke their entire setting and reboot it. The original setting is usually just called Warhammer Fantasy, which is the one that these gamesare set in, while the new version is called Age of Sigmar. They had a whole thing called the End Times with stories and events detailing the collapse and fall of the old world, and it was... not good. Age of Sigmar takes place some millenia after that, when one of the old gods (the titular Sigmar) wakes up and decides to make a new world, featuring a number of the old gods and most of the original races in some form or another.

As to why they did it, there are a bunch of reasons and theories. Probably the biggest one is that Warhammer Fantasy never sold as well as it's big brother Warhammer 40k, and this was an attempt to make it more attractive. It's no coincidence that the new range of miniatures for Age of Sigmar hews pretty close to 40k's aesthetic. But GW has never really been known for the savvy business sense, which is shown by them deciding to kill their old setting right when the TW games were about to create some interest in it. :allears:

The original rules of Age of Sigma were also monumentally bad as well, which didn't help at all.

Apparently later editions unfucked it a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember there will be a patch right at the start, and optimization is one of the last steps.

Also there is a fun little short story for those with Total War Access. https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

Reading that I can see at least two future hero DLC

Naryska 'The Golden Knight' whoever that is
Mother Ostankya who is some sort of hag queen? Also probably hags as a new hero unit

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure my computer's crapping out the day before Warhammer 3 launches which is one hell of a nasty Tzeentchian prank. All these like red lines running across the screen which, sure, will certainly enhance the mood of Khornate battles but isn't exactly preferable. I'm tech illiterate so if this sounds fixable to anyone else please let me know! :(

Try changing/tightening the monitor cables, esp if it's VGA

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My game just started unpacking, maybe it's unlocking early?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Randarkman posted:

Same here.

May be able to get a couple of hours before bed at this rate!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hell yeah, I'm in and playing it, it unlocked early

lets goooooooooo

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The tutorial campaign should be subtitled 'a series of bad decisions'

Fun though!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Completed the tutorial campaign now I need to go to bed

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The trick with the settlement battles is to split your dudes up and use different entrances, if you try to all blob through the same way everything gets hung up on everything else and it turns to poo poo

I quite like them so far but it definitely requires a different approach than field battles

I'm a basic idiot so my first campaign is kislev, enjoying it so far!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I like the new siege/settlement battles

My Kislev playthrough was an easy romp until suddenly it wasn't and now I'm running around trying to stop various horrific chaos things wrecking all my poo poo from every direction

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I really like Kislev, heavy armoured guys with pistols and melee weapons? Yes please

Ice guard are good too but I really only have them in Katarin's army

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm really enjoying the game, I seem to get a 50/50 mix of field battles to settlement battles and the settlement battles mix it up

Most of the factions are pretty interesting, the quality of life improvements are good, diplomacy is waaaaay better and I actually like the chaos realms

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Just finished Tzeench first time, I didn't have any trouble. Did the sigils thing and then one army looked like they were gonna get ahead of me so I beat them up

Nurgle has been by far the hardest realm for me so far

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I finished my first campaign (Kislev) on N/N

Man the big bad dude loves soulgrinders hey

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hunt11 posted:

Thing is I like a lot of what they have done. I can’t remember the last time a total war game forced me to adapt and improvise so late into the campaign. Outside of the issue with plagues and tzeentch bullshit there is little I would complain about.

Yeah I also like it a lot.

The rift stuff stops you getting to a point where you are just steamrolling everything - I still felt constantly on the back foot right until the last soul. This was a problem with ME, after a while you can autoresolve stuff and it just becomes super unchallenging and boring. That's not the case here.

I completed the Kislev campaign and even towards the end it was super challenging juggling closing rifts, fighting off the hoards of northern chaos while trying to get my LL through the chaos realms.

Also the QoL stuff is soooooo nice and all the races play super differently.

Game owns

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I really do like the portals, it's a great challenge although I wish the AI was a bit more diligent about closing them

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lucinice posted:

I don't get the doomsaying in this thread at all. It feels like I'm playing a different game to everyone else.

I know right, did I get a different release build to everyone else?

The campaign is better than 2, the different races are way more varied and different than 2s races and the QOL improvements are great, not to mention the settlement battles and multi campaigns.

Way better game than WH2 and I don't think I'd be able to go back now and the new ME campaign will be great

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Kislev campaign really is lore appropriate as you run around trying to hold back the various streams of chaos flavoured bullshit from the north while the empire bumbles around war-deccing on each other

My completed Kislev campaign was one long AAAAAAAAAA

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is the supply line big that big of a deal? How many of you are constantly hiring/firing lords anyway?

I finished the game without even noticing it

Now I know about it it's a bit annoying during confederation but it's just a matter of sending the new ones off to die

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

litany of gulps posted:

This is basically the narrative of my VH/VH Kislev campaign. I ran Ursun 24/7, with all provinces rocking the slow commandment. I won the initial milestone for the supporter race because Ursun outweighed the penalties for fighting fellow Kislevites, then I never had to fight a non-autoresolved defensive battle on my territory because no besieging army could legitimately threaten a garrisoned settlement on account of the attrition, atamans, and stern women riding bears that patrolled the countryside. lovely raider armies also couldn't move fast enough to avoid being wiped out.

This is exactly what I did as well

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Onmi posted:

So messing about with Katarin again, I'm becoming a very large proponent of being very proactive with her threats. I think the biggest challenges she faces is the inevitable Skrag wave and the Daemon Prince loving about with Bowelsteep. Rather than let that happen, I took the first portal down to Skrag's territory to stomp him the gently caress out immediately. with no real threat from the south (Vampires are a 50/50 of actually becoming a threat) you can feel safe and profitable with your southern trade.

The other benefit is this is Skrag before Gougers or other poo poo start getting in his armies. Being able to wipe out his Ogre Bull stacks in the first 40 turns basically leaves you with one less threat to deal with in the future. I think the Daemon Prince is one you also want to stomp out very early on before he devotes himself to nurgle and removing him becomes a soul crushing experience. This is also two-fold. Stomping out Skrag gives you some territory unlikely to be attacked with plenty of homeland security while stomping the Daemon Prince gives you an FoB for handling the rest of the frozen wastes.

Knocking over hellpit asap is a good idea too

I got the 10 mil alliances with Kislev naturally, all the non demon factions loved me from fight all of the demon armies constantly

This was on normal though so your mileage may vary

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Funky See Funky Do posted:

but my offensive battles were almost 100% me sitting outside the walls bombing them into submission and exhausting all my ammo before cleaning up whatever was left.

I mean that's kinda why they introduced the whole towers and supply thing in the first place, it's so you can't just sit back and just blow up everything with artillery (which gets really easy and boring after a while) but actually have to advance, manoeuvre and cap stuff.

I like it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

neonchameleon posted:

I think the diplomatic penalty is only for opening new trade routes when all your goods are already being exported.

Yeah it's this, if you want more trade partners you need more trade goods.

Otherwise it'd just be super easy to ally with everyone virtually immediately, esp as one of the order races

It's good gameplay design

Even with the penalty I never really had any problem making alliances with everyone so I imagine if you turn that off it gets real easy

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ravenfood posted:

I still think they're fun for Kislev as a "oh gently caress it's all burning down" campaign, at least once. You've got demons coming over the sea, coming over the mountains, coming out of portals, and it's all great.

It could get old after awhile but it did work well at least the first time.

E: vvvv that too. I hope portals stay in in SOME fashion or another because they really can mix things up for the player if you want them to

Yeah I really enjoyed my Kislev campaign because of this, just loving demons everywhere and a thin line of dudes holding against the tide

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

orangelex44 posted:

Technically eight LLs with only four starting positions, but your point stands. Nobody even in their wildest dreams imagined we'd get here when the game was first released. People were genuinely concerned that magic and non-horse mounts would be too exotic to implement since CA was a studio that only did historic games. Sure, there were "plans" for two more games but surely that meant we'd end up with at most 10-12 races and maybe 30 lords, across twenty-ish starts on a map that was basically just the Old World with a touch of stretching and blatantly out-of-place starting positions. And we would have been happy, because at least we were getting a Total War game with genuine asymmetric faction differences in an interesting non-historical setting; just getting the chance to murderize some High Elves with the powers of Gork and Mork was the appeal over Spearmanii 2: the Phalanx At The Gate. But instead, after the better part of a decade we have... this. A game with significantly more factions than the tabletop that inspired it, which took these pretty generic and oft-ignored named lords and made them truly legendary with real (fake) personalities then slapped them onto a map that extended past the boundaries that anyone had ever cared to go before, and kill everyone they found there with dragons and catapulting goblins and unwashed peasantry and dinosaurs riding dinosaurs and even loving goddamn Tretch Craventail if you want because who's to judge, really.

CA's made mistakes, but in the big picture this is the same level of achievement as the Marvel franchise leading up to the final Avengers. The sheer scope and audacity to even attempt something like this is basically unprecedented, and I doubt it will ever be replicated (and certainly not in my lifetime). It took the exactly correct universe, with the exact balance of deep-yet-unrealized, with the exact right people to start working and keep pushing and pushing and pushing through successes and failures both to keep improving, keep expanding, and to reach a goal that wouldn't be fully understood for a decade (much less realized). I realize I'm being a fanboy here but seriously, this sort of thing just doesn't happen in computer gaming and it's a goddamn travesty that there isn't a better way to acknowledge what's actually been done here. What else even comes close? This isn't Paradox slapping together a new build-a-DLC with new spreadsheets, this is a game that took an established IP and surpassed it. People cannot talk about Warhammer Fantasy without talking about Total War from here on out. The IE map is Warhammer Fantasy once it releases. The first game drove the resurrection of the Old World, the second game created the Vampire Coast out of a half-dozen old references, and the third game is what created Cathay and took Kislev from just being a Norsca-style conglomerate of old edition inspiration into motherfucking Ice Guard and bear sleds.

Yeah but the new UI is too red tbh

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Cannibal Llama posted:

The South Americans are anyway, I swear there was some old lore that there were Human natives in Naggaroth but then the Dark Elves completely genocided them. Even in fantasy settings Native Americans can't win.

I'm not gonna lie, TWW are games that I like in spite of the Warhammer setting not because of it. It is honestly a pretty god drat racist setting beholden to lore made up back in the 80's and I kind of wish that the fantasy spinoff of Total War was based off anything else, even something like the Elder Scrolls or whatever but I like commanding armies of skeletons and zombies and poo poo to overrun NotGermany so what are you gonna do?

Counter-Point, the setting owns, actually

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TaurusTorus posted:

I know Albion is extremely unlikely, but I want woad clad lunatics with RTW Brittania style warhounds and head hurlers.

Isn't it just literally all ghosts or something

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RoyalScion posted:

there's only one acceptable answer, and that's summon the elector counts

This is exactly what I am going to do first because I am very basic

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Randarkman posted:

I still think High Elves (or elves in general) should get their HP boosted, as they really do seem to always have been way overcosted in comparison to their durability for all of their units, there really isn't much of a lore or tabletop reason why elves should have notably less durability than humans.

It's cos they're nerds, OP

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lt. Danger posted:

twin issues of: a hero on the campaign map is a hero not in an army; campaign agent actions have a sizeable failure chance

ultimately there's nothing you might want a hero to do on campaign that you can't also do with an army, for cheaper and with more utility

Murder all the annoying enemy heros for one. It's the only reason I have heros of my own

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

god yeah my current kislev game feels like it has 25 of every chaos faction's heroes wandering around my territory, but at least all they're apparently doing is justifying the ongoing existence of all the churches i built to win the court/orthodoxy competition. still annoying visual noise

i really wish there was an AI cockiness slider to appease the "i don't want the AI to make bad matchup decisions!" crowd while letting the rest of us enjoy not-siege battles. 3K armies sallying all the time was good--all they really lost was like 1-2 turns of attrition before they'd decisively lose autoresolve, so who cares. doubly so when you lack a block army hero (wtf, that should be mandatory, who needs hinder replenishment or assault unit?)

On my Kislev I had around 8 heros on full time murder duty and it was only just enough

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Third World Reagan posted:

You are slaanesh. You are excellence. You are about YOUR excellence.

Marauders die. Marauders merge. Marauders replace. They are not excellence.

You should never have replenishment problems because only the lord needs to replenish their health. Everyone else needs to be replaced.

Pretty much this.

The daemon armies having glaring weaknesses meaning you have to actually play them differently is good, homorginising everything is boring.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice, honestly, if they got rid of the force march stance and gave you a boost to movement in home territory instead. It's very annoying playing whack a mole with enemy armies running around in force march avoiding my response armies which I cannot put into force march or else I can't actually fight the enemy.

Even using the commandment that reduces enemy movement doesn't actually make them slower than your own armies.

I feel like I'm playing a completely different game to some of the rest of you - I don't think I've ever had a problem catching armies, esp with Kislev - they have a bunch of abilities that slow enemy armies on the map.

The 'problem' I did have was that there were so many armies, coming from everywhere - but that is just Kislev and really helped the whole thematic 'bastion against chaos' thing.

It did keep the game feeling really challenging even into the endgame which was nice (although locking down the mountain passes helped a lot)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

If you hover over the button it'll tell you what's wrong I think

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What about when you cant re-recruit the stuff you merge because you literally cant yet (you started with those units or confederated them) or you cant re-recruit stuff because you cannot recruit it in the province your army is in? Global recruiting takes longer, is extra expensive, and you frequently get zero or no chevrons.

This is the second time this discussion got started in what feels like the past week and I think like things get conflated because people complain about slow replenishment early in the game, when you cant recruit high tier stuff, money is tight, and you're usually not in a province where you can recruit anything but poo poo tier 1 units because you're off campaigning. By mid game you can have some techs, skills, or items that help, but it is still sometimes not great. As Boris I'm not going to merge my two units of bears, as Katarin I'm not going to merge my two units of Ice Guard, and as Skarbrand I'm not going to merge my Blood Crushers because each of those take 75ish turns (unless you really focus growth) to be able to re-recruit. On top of that, each of those three units take two turns to recruit so it would be four turns to re-recruit them via global recruitment and probably more than that to march back to the province you can recruit them in, so yeah I need those units to be not-fielding mostly poo poo tier 1 units and want them to not be understrength for 10 turns if I take some losses in a tough fight. They're my capstone/flagship units but if they take losses I dont want to merge them then not have as many for however long it takes to get more, so I'm gonna want replenishment.

So yeah, re-recruiting is a viable option that is under-utilized, but its not a cure-all and should not be treated as such. The whole point of a campaign is to build up to be stronger and get more powerful units then fight battles with them, so when I get more powerful units I want to use them and not be punished for it and replenishment is the most convenient way to being able to keep using my fun units without needing to stop and re-recruit them.

Well that's why you protect your good, irreplaceable units with chaff (also Kislev and khorne don't have a problem with replenishment at all)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got Karl Franz first spin

How did it know

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Precambrian posted:

Khorne is the embodiment of macho alpha male fragility and Slaanesh is a genderqueer hedonist. Simple as that.

AnEdgelord posted:

The dichotomy of Khorne and Slaanesh is "Straight" Gym Bro and Bisexual Theater Nerd hth

It's this

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, the point is to be a normal-ish person in a hellworld and still pull things off. That's just as much a power fantasy as being a thousand year old dragon pseudogod or avatar of a nature god or a murder elf sorcerer king or whatever. The mundane against all of the weirdness makes the mundane seem weird too in a fun way sometimes.

Not always, mind, but I think it works well in warhammer.

That and I like all the fancy shirts and hats.

Also it's satisfying facing down Eldrich horrors and then just ripping into them with pike, shot and cannon

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Just lol@ the name Soulblight Gravelords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

orangelex44 posted:

CA puts out quite a few trailers, and most of them are actually quite good. You have to expect a mediocre one to show up every once in a while. This one was... fine? Like yeah it's not what I imagined it might be, but it's not actively turning me off either.

Yeah the trailer was fine, I think people are iffy about it because often CA do actually hit it out the park (Katarin, Ogres or vampirates for instance)

Best one is still probably Katarin, it is probably one of the best trailers of any game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAr7yUlM0Po

Third World Reagan posted:

Here is the thing

The other coc videos are good to ok.

The stuff before this tends to be over all good.

But they done hosed up doing a video that is basically showing off her in game skills instead of trying to sell you a badass character and has the result of being the only character on the roster, getting beaten up in at least part of it, also the only woman.

I am trying to think of another video where they did this or even tried to make someone be weak then come back but I can't think of anything that was this bad.

I think you are overthinking this. Also she spears a bunch of dudes, gets wailed on for a bit while looking slightly peeved while not being injured at all and then rockets up in the air angerly.

Also I pre-ordered the DLC because I have some weird pokemon thing going on where I need to have all the DLC despite basically only ever playing like 20% of the races

Alctel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 10, 2022