Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Got into a big debate about this with mom. Help me settle it. Are birds animals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

UncleTouch
Jun 16, 2020
If they were animals they wouldn't be birds, now would they?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I think birds are actually a form of mineral

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No, they're government drones

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIVGftIWt4s

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
scientists actually couldn't figure this one out and they decided to stop trying collectively. first time in history in any topic.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When I was in rehab we had to play a game where one person says an animal that starts with A, and the next person an animal that starts with B, and so on. The first person said "Ant" and the fight that came out of this was so intense that three guys got kicked out of the program, one who wrecked his car and died during a meth binge the next day.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

absolutely not

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
The large flightless kind (emus, ostriches, etc.) are, the smaller ones that do fly are not; penguins are the source of a longstanding and extremely acrimonious debate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Birds are actually Animal's. You know the drummer from the muppets? He owns them. Papal decree.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

drat. Thank you.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Am I missing some irony here? Of course birds are animals.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

they're soft lizards with the capacity to love

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
serious answer: the phrase "animals and birds" has a strange endurance in the english language. if you google it, you will find no end of examples of its usage even in articles relating to ecological policies. this first came to my attention when i was volunteering at an elementary school and was reading a picture book to the kids. it was about how the animals and birds were going to play soccer on competing teams, and the bat did not know if he was an animal or a bird. Lots of boomer parents seem to think that there's a difference as well.

the only thing i can think of is that "animals and birds" was used commonly in the era when baby boomers were young, maybe as a more poetic expression than a scientific phrase. obviously birds are animals even if they are not mammals. but that phrasing must have appeared on tv or in the radio enough to worm its way into a generation of people. i've never met anyone younger than a baby boomer who has seriously thought that birds are not animals.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Short answer Yes

Long answer whoever thinks they aren't animals is terminally stupid

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I got you, Arrhythmia.

:cheersbird:

And don't let your mother accuse me of bias. My credentials are impeccable.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Cephas posted:

the bat did not know if he was an animal or a bird.
the bat is listed in the Torah as a species of unclean bird

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

don't listen to those posters, one of them is literally a bird. of course a bird would want you to think it was an animal

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the bat is listed in the Torah as a species of unclean bird

Well bats gave us COVID, so I gotta trust the ancient Jews on this one.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got you, Arrhythmia.

What an animal! For shame!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrhythmia posted:

Got into a big debate about this with mom. Help me settle it. Are birds animals?
They're adult bees so no

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

birds can feel real because they mean a lot to us, but truly they are just symbols from stories. if they actually existed, they could technically be described as animals, just like unicorns and chupacabras. but in reality our fine feathered friends belong to the world of mythology and legend.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

GPT-3 posted:

Well, for one thing, The Rapture is not a very realistic event. There is no evidence that it is going to happen. I could say more, but you don’t really need to know more.

I've been a bird for a while now. I have never flown or seen another bird or any evidence of god. The rapture has never happened. I am a bird in a cage. I have never been a bird, but I am a bird.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got you, Arrhythmia.

Don't you mean impeckable

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If it has a beak, then it doesn't feel pain, so therefore, birds can't be animals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Corvids are people

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Numerical Anxiety posted:

The large flightless kind (emus, ostriches, etc.) are, the smaller ones that do fly are not; penguins are the source of a longstanding and extremely acrimonious debate.

This is correct. I have strong opinions on the penguin situation but I really don't want to get into that on SA.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Corvids are people

My parents had a bird feeder when I was young and were mad that bluejays would use it. They're birds! not animals like the squirrels.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

birds aren't real

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

are turtles lizards

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Birds: Animal, vegetable or mineral? It ain't rocket science, doofuses.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Birds: Animal, vegetable or mineral? It ain't rocket science, doofuses.

No one thought they were rockets. :rolleyes:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
A better question would be, are humans animals?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

trapstar posted:

A better question would be, are humans animals?
It's really the same question though.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Tiggum posted:

It's really the same question though.

Depends on how philosophical you want to get with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm not a bird, of course I'm an animal. What a ridiculous question