Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Problem description: Inno3D GTX 970 OC crashing if running in full GPU core MHz
Bought used GPU that had broken fans and PO had replaced them with Noctua's fans. Here's the picture that I fell in love with.

The looks didn't bother me because was thinking to slap G12 and AIO on it, so my kids have something special and stupid on their computer, they just want the most :nyan: GAMERISH PC :nyan: that there is.
But first, it totally hosed up my lovely HP testbench so it didn't boot to Windows anymore and when tried it on my own computer it just froze up immediately when the 3DMark test started, flashed the bios but that didn't do anything. Later I got the HP working and the card "working" with it, did some troubleshooting with it, and found out it works fine if the core is underclocked at least 80 MHz, the memory can be overclocked at least 200 MHz and it doesn't matter. The loads and temps don't also matter, ran Heaven benchmark extreme settings 45-60min and it works if the core MHz is underclocked.

Just wondered could reflowing the GPU could help or should I look somewhere else? Also trying to get a partial refund from the seller, thinking of holding on to it, even underclocked it is faster than my R9 380X and use less power.

Attempted fixes: Lowered the GPU core MHz, flashed the bios

Recent changes: Bought the Frankenstein's GPU

Operating system: Windows 10 Home/Pro

System specs: Inno3D GTX 970 OC N97V-1SDN-M5DSX, the other hardware didn't matter, acted the same in both systems.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Kosmos posted:

Just wondered could reflowing the GPU could help or should I look somewhere else? Also trying to get a partial refund from the seller, thinking of holding on to it, even underclocked it is faster than my R9 380X and use less power.

I suppose tinkering in that way or changing the heatsink/fan could have an effect. But no guarantees.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Zogo posted:

I suppose tinkering in that way or changing the heatsink/fan could have an effect. But no guarantees.

Nope. Run some test AIO clamped on it, so I could check it with FLIR and the heatsink wound be in the way and it crashed when the core was 37c at one point, Also surrounded it with fans to keep it cool on both sides, but alas it didn't matter at all. Running also GPU-Z and HWiNFO logs but they don't show anything out of the ordinary.
Anyways didn't see anything special on the FLIR, VRAM VRM(?) heats to ~90c, but it should be able to handle that, I guess. But it crashes even if it's 50c or +90c, only thing that seems to matter I the core MHz.
Heres older video before pulling it part and stuff. Muted so there's no toddler noises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUbaNK4Gts
Here torturing it for information, changed the clamp to a different style later.

Looks like should change the camera's lens or do something about it.
One resistor was heating up to 103c, but it should handle up to 150c.

And looks like our FLIR takes pictures for ants. Sorry about that.

But didn't really find out anything new and lost one rubber grommet under the heatsink, so that went well. Looked at some Youtube videos about this and it could be capacitors that have gone bad, so the voltage isn't stable enough. Got an oscilloscope here, so I think I could check the capacitators without removing them, but I just know how to do really basic stuff with it. Not an electrical engineer only an electrician or something, should be installing wires in houses and not fiddling stuff like this.

Modding the bios would be one thing, but I would like to get it running full speed. Let's see what I can find out.
Also I have ADHD if you haven't figured I out. :wotwot:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Well, I guess it died, for now at least. Start to make lines, tried the heat gun on it and it didn't make any difference. Cause it was quite hosed, started to remove some of the suspicious components, eR33 choke that was shorta bulging and it came about with only one leg attached, so that had some issues.
But yeah, don't really have anything to replace that, so it's dead for now. Maybe poke it later, try to find out if that's just GPU core issue or some components that I could change.
RIP for now my sweet prince, you where too special for this world :rip: