Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Card Hunter is a mix between a deckbuilder (think Slay the Spire) and a tactical combat game (think nu X-Com). It was originally a Flash-based browser game in 2013, but it has been re-released on Steam in 2015. I have played the whole campaign around that time, but I've recently noticed that additional content for the game has been released to this day (in fact, a new expansion is currently being tested in the PTR); this has sparked new interest in the game and after playing it for a few days, I've decided to showcase it through a LP - since it's a f2p indie game (with cosmetics microtransactions and paid DLCs) that someone may have missed altogether.

We control a party of three fantasy adventurers murderhobos by drawing and playing cards from each character's individual deck; enemies are also activated by the Dungeon Master in a similar fashion. We modify our decks by adding and removing equipment (like Weapons, Armors, Arcane Items, etc) that is gained by completing Adventures; whenever we complete a full Module (2+ Battles) we also get Experience Points, allowing us to gain more Levels. Gaining Levels unlocks additional equipment slots and allows our characters to wield more powerful items/add better cards to our decks. The full rules for the tactical combat part of the game can be found HERE.

Are you good at the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Mm_UM-_Y4
Good enough :v:

Card Hunter is heavily inspired by TSR-era Dungeons and Dragons, both graphically and thematically. Our party is a group of adventurers controlled by us, the Player, in what's supposed to be a pen-and-paper roleplaying session; the monsters are controlled by Gary, an inexperienced Dungeon Master and all around nerd. The Adventures are structured in Modules that look like parodies of classic TSR-era releases and the tactical combat part of the game takes part on a paper board with the heroes and monster being represented by standees like the ones that were included in the original D&D Red Box; dice, soda cans and other items clutter the board around the table. Pizza is also heavily involved.

I'm going to play through the main campaing of Card Hunter included in the f2p version of the game, but I may play the DLC(s) after that. This is going to be a VLP with thread participation - I'll rely on the Goonmind to select our party and to have general guidance on what kind of build to go for for each character. This is certain to end in success. I'm kinda new to the VLP scene, so any kind of feedback on audio levels, speed of gameplay, etc is much appreciated. There is a Discord Server in case you need to contact me or if you want to have a look at my past LPs.

The game has an extended tutorial that introduces the various mechanics a bit at a time and also allows us to recruit 3 Characters for free. At the end of the Tutorial we'll have a Warrior, a Cleric and a Wizard, but we can recruit duplicate classes after that if we want to. Without further ado, let's get to the game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmVal6snYQ
The Race we choose has a couple of implications that apply to any character, indipendently of their Class.
  • At the start of each Round, we always get 1 guaranteed basic Move card that is based on the Race of our Character. Dwarfs get a Move2, Humans a Move3 and Elfs a Move4. Moving further away is good, of course, but since enemies and Difficul Terrain stop us in our tracks, often time it's better to move multiple times compared to having a single long move action. It's a good thing, then, that Warriors have access to a lot of "Move1+Attack" cards, although slotting them in means having fewer high-powered Attacks.
  • HP count is based on Race, with Dwarves being the toughest and Elfs being the wimpiest. A Dwarf Warrior starts with 16HP at level1 and reaches 35HP at level20; a Human goes from 14 to 31 and an Elf from 12 to 26. True to D&D, there's a lot of HP tanking in this game.
  • Our character's Race also determines which Race abilities they can slot in at higher levels. As a rule of thumb, Humans have deck&allies manipulation; Dwarves have tanking&ferocity cards; and Elves have mobility&nimbleness cards.

:siren::siren::siren:
A vote is now open! Please vote for the following:
  1. Our Warrior's Race.
  2. Our Warrior's Name.
  3. (optional) If you vote Human, please vote for one of the two standees.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ep 2. Raid on Ommlet
Ep 3. Tunnels into Darkness
Ep 4. Caverns of the Troglodytes
Ep 5. Lair of the Trog Wizard
Ep 6. Ruby Demon Portal
Ep 7. Dungeon of the Lizard Priest
Intermission #1 - Pimp my Wizard
Ep 8. Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison (plus MP!)
Ep 9. Diamonds of the Kobolds
Ep 10. The White Star
Ep 11. Beneath the Frozen Earth
Intermission #2 - Side Gig
Ep 12. Valley of Tezcal (feat TSR history!)
Ep 13. The Throne of Stench (feat the B-Team!)
Ep 14. The Compass of Xorr
Ep 15. Melvelous the Magnificent
Ep 16. Lord Stafford's Treasure
Ep 17. CARDSTOCK - Gladiatorial Arena, Qualifiers
Ep 18. CARDSTOCK - Gladiatorial Arena, Finals
Ep 19. Twilight in Eastpass
Ep 20. The Viscous Tombs
Ep 21. Garnet Demon Portal
Ep 22. Against the Cockroaches
Ep 23. The Defense of Woodhome AND Forest of Souls
Ep 24. Goblins in the Woods
Ep 25. Order of the Core
Ep 26. The Grasping Grove
Ep 27. The Pools of Slime
Ep 28. Return to Woodhome

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 9, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Man, it's been a long time since I've played Card Hunter. Love this game though.

I've played through with a few different characters, even trying to make it through with only two alongside my brother. I don't remember where that run ended, just that it did somewhere in the middle.

I'll vote for Human, stand 2, and simply named Hammer. It really helps to have a reliable fighter in this game, Elves just always ended up too flimsy in the role for me.

AtomikKrab posted:

Dwarf

WARIO

Clearly its WARIO TIME.

On reflection, this is a much better choice than mine. Seconding this!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 14, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
An Elf that is named Anteesteriotipe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A Dwarf named Gamli.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

That Italian Guy posted:

[*]Our Warriro's Name.

Clearly we should name them Warriro
And make them a Dwarf I guess

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dwarf

WARIO

Clearly its WARIO TIME.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Welcome to the team, Wario!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zU4uXDbb20

Once we are pass the tutorial stage, I'll probably increase the lenght of the videos to about 30mins each - I'll try to play a couple of modules per video. As always, please let me know if you have any feedback on the audio or anything else!

1. Our Wizard's Race.
  2. Our Wizard's Name.
  3. (optional) If you vote Elf, please vote for one of the two standees.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 15, 2022

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Elf Waluigi, of course. Although maybe he'd fit better as a wizard.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

wologar posted:

Elf Waluigi, of course. Although maybe he'd fit better as a wizard.
We are, in fact, picking a Wizard! Not sure why I wrote Cleric originally :v:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Elf Waluigi, the Wizard

We must continue the theme

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Odd Wilson posted:

Elf Waluigi, the Wizard

We must continue the theme

:bandwagon:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Wizard Waluigi you say...

By the way, in case it wasn't obvious by what's happened during the previous video, visual assets for the game are locally stored as plain PNGs. This means that you can replace the existing ones with other ones and they will stick around until you ran a file integrity check or an update on Steam.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 15, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Welcome to Waluigi, Elf Wizard extraordinaire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdeBWkLoRE

The devs are onto us :argh: The assets that could be modded are no longer in the game. Wario's modified sprite has somehow survived the purge - even if my modded files are gone from the folder they used to be in - but Waluigi's token is no longer working, since all the token assets are gone and can't be replaced anymore. We can still edit the Portrait that appears in the character sheet and at the bottom of the screen during Adventures, though.

1. Our Cleric's Race.
  2. Our Cleric's Name.
  3. (optional) If you vote Dwarf, please vote for one of the two standees.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Jesus
Dwarf

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Human Cleric, named Daisy

We've gotta put the whole crew together

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Odd Wilson posted:

Human Cleric, named Daisy

We've gotta put the whole crew together

:hai:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Our party is now complete!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQ7VM3wPM4

I'll stick with these characters for at least a while, but we'll be able to slot in more adventurers when we decide to. There's not much to vote on for the time being - since you can't really start to spec into a defined build until you have access to some additional slots and items. As previously announce, I'm probably going to stick to a 2 modules/update cycle; this should get videos out at a decent pace and keep them at a manageable size. Let me know if you want me to try something in game or to change something in the update structure!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sbX3r7VbE

We have a couple of choices here! First of all, let me know if you want me to use the Pizza we currently have to:
  1. Buy a Skin (Dwarf Warrior, Elf Wizard or Human Cleric) and if so, which one. This will cost us 80 Pizza.
  2. Save it for two "premium" adventures. Each premium adventure costs 40 Pizza and we'll get one for free. Each of these has a guaranteed, specific/thematic Epic item as a final reward on top of everything else that may drop.
  3. Go full on EA mode and buy some loot boxes (5 Pizza each or more for the guaranteed epic) - we probably won't be able to use the content for a while though, as we lack Power Tokens.

Last but not least, what kind of build should we go for with Wario?
  1. Impaler -> Buffs Attacks with the Penetrating quality (low damage, ignore Armor).
  2. Bruiser -> Buffs Attacks named Bash (single target, medium damage, often has a pushback effect).
  3. Slicer -> Buffs Attacks named Chop (dual target, medium-high damage).
There are other Traits, but are not available/exceedingly rare at these levels, so we can't really try to focus on those for now. I'll leave the decision open for a couple of days, as I won't update during the weekend, most likely.

Cast your vote!

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I remember trying this a long time ago, but I don't remember much about how the game played.

I'd say choices 2 and b. I object to loot boxes on a personal level, and you've already done all you can for the standees. For the build, positioning looks key, so being able to boot enemies out of melee could cause some wasted turns on their side.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, let's go for 2. Premium Adventures and B. for bashin' it up. I remember there's some pretty brutal blunt attacks in the game, forcing enemy repositioning aside.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Since we're filthy rich after the last update, I've started keeping an eye out for some items that we could use to build a bashy Wario since this is winning right now! The good thing about Traits is that they always cycle themselves, so even if we don't have many cards that are buffed by them, they're still not a dead draw (in fact, they technically thin our deck since we're going to draw something else to replace them).

Also I double checked and yes, Waluigi missed six 50% rolls on his 4+ Armor save in a row. Which is a 1.5% chance if I'm not mistaken :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Good news everyone! The nasty cold I've got for the past 2 weeks is almost gone, so my voice is getting back to normal. This time we face a bunch of Imps and learn about the importance of maneuvering and Line of Sight manipulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuPw7cLmmo

We have unlocked our first Divine Skill slot on Daisy, which means it's build o'clock! As mentioned in the video, Clerics are kind of a Swiss army knife and have access to a ton of different traits - the ones shown in the video are only a few of them. I've bought the double Altruism skill since shops reset daily, but let me know what I should focus on!
  1. Altruism and Card Draw.
  2. Healing Spirit/Talented Healer and Healing.
  3. Holy Presence and condition clearing.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 21, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this game is legit insanely good and i highly recommend playing along since it's free!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'll leave the vote open for one more day in case anyone wants to chime in :)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I say we go for Altruism, gotta draw those cards

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The Card Draw must flow. This time we face a ton of Lizardmen and their pet Oozes! This video is slightly longer than the rest, but I'm going to travel for a few days and I won't be back until Tuesday, so you have some time to catch up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ry4rWYvUE

This has been a toughie. Our equipment is definitely starting to show its age - you have to constantly upgrade to keep your power in line with the enemies. Now that we have access to Power Tokens, we'll be able to get an injection of more powerful cards in our decks though; the way items are build, usually, is as follows:
  • Higher level equipment has access to better base cards.
  • Higher quality equipment has access to better rarity cards.
  • You can often get access to more copies of a powerful card OR to better/rarer cards if you also slot in either a weak card or a negative trait.
  • Items with a weak card or a negative trait are also cheaper on average.
This means that we'll probably start looking out for powerful, build defining cards (like Bash for Wario, Gusts of War for Waluigi or Mass Frenzy for Daisy) even if this means slotting in some (maneageable) negative traits.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Intermission #1 - Pimp my Wizard

Hey there, as mentioned I won't be able to update for a few days since I'll leave for the airport soon, but I was checking the daily store restock and I managed to snag a couple of nice Uncommon items for Waluigi!

As mentioned before, Gusts of War is a Great quality (gold border, 5/7 on the quality scale) card that is normally unavailable on low level equipment without being associated with a negative trait or a weak card. In this case we can live with a Little Zap in our deck to slot this in. You've seen how handy Telekinesis is, and Gusts is basically TK with dual target and 1 damage on top! Very useful to manipulate the board to our advantage. Waluigi was not using his first Blue Power Token yet, so this fit right in.

This item is...ok at best, but it is replacing a very weak pair of boots (Shuffle + Run + that crappy Armor that never managed to trigger). Waluigi is exceedingly frail and Jump Back can help with that; the way it works is:
  • Waluigi gets Attacked from the front;
  • He rolls a 3+ dice;
  • If succesfull, he will slide back up to 2 Squares. "Back" in this case means "in the direction his back is facing when the Attack is launched";
  • If he is now out of range of the Attack, said Attack is nullified.
As you can imagine this can be a lifesaver against a lot of Melee attackers, especially big bruisers like Goblin Hulks or Golems. The other 2 cards in the item are rather "meh". The Inquisitor Badge is going to be a Reliable Hide 95% of the time; Silver is a type of damage tied to the Castle Mitternacht expansion set (themed after Ravenloft, full of Vampires and Werewolves). And the Cloth Armor lacks the Keep quality, so it's going to be a one off thing.

This reminds me that I didn't mention how prices work! The closer your Renown is to the level of an item, the lower the price. At maximum discount, Common items cost 5 gold, Uncommon 25, Rare 100, Epic 500 and Legendary 2500.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Quick update!

I'm back since yesterday evening, I've finished recording the next update and I'm halfway through with the commentary.

My initial plan was to record a shorter update - a single Adventure Module instead of two - but that ended up being too short so I ventured into multiplayer to show it off. In the end, I got a normal lenght update :v: so it won't be out before tomorrow.

In the meantime, I leave you with a sneak peak...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

And we're back! This time we face our first human opponents while staging a prison break. After that, we unlock a premade Multiplayer team and we take them for a spin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtVaKEUgaSA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In this episode: we steal tresures from some Kobolds and get very lucky with the Loot! Also I spend most of our fortune on an Epic armor for Wario. We are destitute again, but I think this was put to good use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Kv7auPEd0

Also since we haven't voted on something for a while and we got lucky with our drops, it's time to select what we want to slot in for our Cleric, Daisy. Please vote for 2 out of 3 of these Divine Items! Here's the options:

A

B

C

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Wario realizes that the most effective way to hoard all the cash in this group is to swap out that value for gear meant only for him.

As for artifacts, hm, I say B and C.

I do like Frenzy, but having a good mix of healing and debuffs too never hurts.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

This time we keep slaughtering Kobolds and stealing their crap. This module is a bit of a slog at times (lots of defensive enemies with access to healing) so I've sped up the gameplay here and there - especially during the second battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMD9CE9YIQA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Today we face the Trogg menace that lurks Beneath the Frozen Earth! I've tried to shorten the video a little bit by speeding up a few bits here and there, I'll try to stay around the 25-30min mark from now on to keep things manegeable :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fEwwul__s

As mentioned at the end of the video, we'll vote on our next destination! Please select one of the following:
  1. The Throne of Stench (continuation of the last module).
  2. Valley of Tezcal (first adventure in the Attack of the Artifacts DLC).

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Valley of Tezcal, while Wario might not mind the stench, let's get some fresh air.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Intermission #2 - Side Gig
I have mentioned a few times that I wanted to try build a melee wizard. The good news is that you can buy additional adventurers from the Tavern at a 10g a pop cost - they are practicaly free.

The best way to level alt characters is to have a secondary party starting from lvl1. Running the low level adventures when you have decent, non-token requiring gear is fun and profitable. So I did exactly that! I've created three lvl1 characters that have temporary names; I have a great fantasy, so the names are directly related to their intended profession :v:

The first of the group is Pyro. I've mentioned before that cone attacks are a bit garbage, but you know what isn't? Hot Spot; this card can straight up kill low level enemies in a single hit. Pyro is an Hot Spot spawning machine - most of his cards are Hot Spot or can cycle into it:

The second is the aforementioned Basho. His deck is a bit all over the place right now, but the basic idea is that he can knock back or force move enemies into Hot Spot.

Finally we have the Cleric Drawing Machine. Her job is to keep Pyro supplied with extra Hot Spots and/or Basho with extra forced movements. She also has access to a couple of Entangling Roots to make sure enemies are Halted on top of the damage square.

Now, I was planning on keeping this on the side for a bit more, but two things happened: first, I dropped a Legendary staff without requirements - a bit gimmicky, but could potentially be amazing in a Scenario like the last one in the previous videos, with all those Trogg wizards with low HP. :

Second, I found the Bandit Hidden Stash

This spawns in a random adventure (different for each player) each day. It rewards a ton of valuables...

So as you can see, we are rich again! In total, I think we got 2x40, 1x100 and 1x1000 Treasures out of it.

We have also unlocked Skarl's Seconds and unlocked the ability to sell regular loot on top of Treasures. Skarl's Seconds is a store where you can buyback the stuff you have sold. Loot sells for considerably less gold than Treasures though - the Legendary staff will sell for 100g for example.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

...aand today I got another one :psyduck:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Today we explore the deadly Valley of Tezcal! This is the first Treasure Hunt from the Attack of the Artifacts DLC. Stick around at the end for a bonus TSR History segment on the module that inspired the DLC itself: C1. The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rFXCe3sHU

Also, we are rich again, so I splurged for a new kind of Divine Skill for Daisy...sneak peak:

Vampirism is great - don't let the Van Helsing of the world tell you otherwise. Blight is a fun card that can from time to time save the day or make things worse when an enemy explodes for 18 AOE damage on death. Good times all around!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 11, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In case you've missed my latest embarassment :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Mm_UM-_Y4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Oh, goodness. Radioactivity. The most random and chaotic of mechanics. I typically avoided it given the game doesn't operate with that much RNG on the usual, but if everything was going downhill and it was around, might as well open the can of worms.