Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

the popes toes posted:

They're not sanctioning Russian imports, but rather she said, halting the export to them of mechanical "instruments" that Russia needs to maintain and run their operations.

I'd assume any equipment they need they can just import from China... no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I assume Putin won't complain when the Chinese decide to take back Vladivostock one of these days.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dante posted:

Reading this thread and some other stuff on the internet I do think some are taking the isolated tidbits of good military news as evidence of something more than it is. Even though Ukraine has had some success, the strategic situation is untenable. Russia has invaded an absolutely huge country in both land area and population, and are fighting in the capital by the 48 hour mark. Within the next few days Ukrainian air assets will be gone and Russia will have completely air superiority. Ukrainan forces will be exhausted from fighting, while Russia can rotate in fresh troops. While I hope there's an insurgency, Ukraine is a very flat country. The topography is pretty much the opposite of Afghanistan or Switzerland, and the climate is very different from Vietnam. It would not be an easy place for the guerilla side of an insurgency. The Nazis did have issues dealing with insurgencies, but they also successfully occupied most of europe and were beaten by conventional armies - not partisan revolts. The Ukranian people are incredibly brave, but Russia can and will grind Ukranian military forces down. Molotovs and civillians sniping from windows won't stop Russia in Kiev anymore than it did in Grozny. An iron curtain around Russia that makes Putin's war domestically incredibly unpopular to the point where it destabilizes the regime is probably Ukraines best hope. That responsibility should weigh very heavy on the shoulders of all western governments. The seeds that were sown in 1968 caused tremendous problems for USSR later on, and we can only hope this invasion spells out the same fate for Putin's regime.

Yeah, unfortunately this feels like 300. They are doing an amazing job inflicting pain against a vastly larger invading force, but ultimately they probably can’t win without backup.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Delthalaz posted:

I'm rooting for Ukraine as hard as most but I'm trying to temper my expectations here. From what I understand Ukraine holding out a week, or two weeks, would be pretty remarkable considering Russian strength. (let alone 'winning' whatever that would mean. If Ukraine won the war it would be such a mind boggling humiliation Putin would be deposed and dead). It's been two days

I don't think there's any way Ukraine "wins"; they don't and won't strike back and take Russian territory. Best case, Putin calls it off after a while and tells everybody at home they achieved whatever crazy goal he had in mind.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Delthalaz posted:

Honestly that might be enough to destroy his rule. There's nothing more pathetic and vulnerable than a weak strong man

e: so he won't back down I mean

Unfortunately, I don't think he cares how much Russians have to die to achieve his goal. I think the best hope might be that if Ukraine can inflict a high enough price, it'll piss off all the families of dead soldiers that have otherwise just put up with him.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tracecomplete posted:

Add to this the actual, measurable, oh-poo poo damage from the sanctions, and you may have a very real time limit that Russia can do this.

NPR was saying that Putin has been working to sanction-proof parts of the Russian economy. Details for anyone interested:
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/25/1083051388/putins-big-bet-sanction-proofing-russia

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Randarkman posted:

I genuinely hope Putin puts himself in a position to be Mussolini'd

I'd like to see him stand trial for war crimes, but I'm guessing he'd kill himself first.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Does the Russian Parliament actually have any serious power, or are these just folks that will see accidents soon?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what is Belarus's role, if any, in this?

the popes toes posted:

More like a measure of the western response which seems to be getting more robust. The West is pretty mindful that the Chinese are watching.

I might be wrong, but I would guess the US response to an attack on Taiwan would be much more... active.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dante posted:

Belarus is pretty much just a Russian client state, they don't have autonomous agency in foreign affairs. Due to their geographical location they've been the staging ground for one part of the assault.

Right, I saw that Russia has moved units through Belarus, I was curious if Belarus was contributing anything else or just saying "Eh, do what you want, we won't say anything."

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Despera posted:

If you think Putin believing this war would be easy - is crazy. People get high on their own supply. Nazis believed the United States wouldnt be able to mobilize troops to Europe until the 70s. The Japanese believed their brown eyes gave them a nighttime navy advantage over their enemies blue eyes.

The Japanese thing I can maybe buy, but who in their right mind would think it would take a huge country 30 years to raise and send an army somewhere?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm not a fan of wishing ill will on any human, but... I wonder about the chances Putin suffers an "accident."

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mokotow posted:

https://twitter.com/FlyingandLife/status/1498040555108024325?s=20&t=tuR02fWWVCTuTg0Oi3JeDg

Just like this account, I’m watching these two flights that have restricted airspace ahead. Unless some special exception is made, they’ll need to turn around, refuel and… gently caress, I don’t know, go through Africa or round way around through Asia?

Do commercial airlines ever say “gently caress it” and go through restricted airspace anyway?

I mean, it’s a bad idea, but I don’t know what kind of response the Canadians would actually mount.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Going by the sparks shooting up in the duma it’s telling that some politicians are now more scared of being seen as pro war then balconies

I think I asked this before, but how much power does the Duma actually have?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TyrantWD posted:

This entire war is such a strange move from Putin. He was winning. Western liberal democracies were coming apart at the seams, and he could have easily got a Trump 2.0 in office who would have pulled the plug on NATO.

At the very least try to stage an incident to give the right wing movements you have been funding and supporting in other countries the cover to advocate for your war in response to some event. Even if western intelligence was wise to your false flag efforts, whether the populace believed them would largely break down to party lines. Putin was winning, and he just threw it all away, because he became sloppy and lazy.

I sort of assume this might have been his plan but something forced him to move faster.

TulliusCicero posted:

...Are they really doing mass airdrops in broad daylight, with a massive zone full of anti-air?

I'd really like to see them sending a bunch of soldiers in only so the people in Belarus can overthrow their POS dictator while much of his security apparatus is gone, but I doubt it will happen.

I don't know if jury nullification is a thing in other places, but this would be a great time for it if such a case ever came up in the US.

OgNar posted:

Word is that China has been sending supplies to Russia since the US and the EU has been illegally helping the Ukraine.
Nothing verifiable though.

Are we talking food, consumer goods, .etc or weapons?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In russias defense (lol) this is a reevaluation of current doctrine war Like railroads in us civil war or Calvary in ww1 because it’s looking like tanks are p obsolete with how much anti tank tech has advanced

If there's one thing I'm sure of, plenty of military strategists and planners in all the major powers are going to get lots of interesting data out of this.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I definitely feel like the Chinese are loving this if for no other reason that if this continues, they can probably buy Russian mines and natural resources and so forth at fire-sale prices.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I'm surprised Ukrainian forces wouldn't be targeting that buildup with their remaining Tochkas. Seems like a good way to disperse a convoy like that.

The convoy thing is strange, I don't know if I think the Ukrainians have the ability to target it or if it's some kind of trap.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I checked last night and again today, the Ruble has gone from .013 USD to .0096 USD, an approximate 26% drop?

That seems big but hardly catastrophic.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay wait a minute. The currency dropped overnight however it's been dropping over the past week consistently.

Are google's exchange rates not reputable?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ynglaur posted:

Also your mortgage or rent just increased by around 80%.

Maybe kinda off-topic but there's been crazy rent increases in a lot of countries lately.
The Guardian: Renters across US face sharp increases – averaging up to 40% in some cities

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

drk posted:

Unless they are trading physical sacks of cash, isnt this untrue? I thought all interbank payments in dollars went through the fed in the US by law.

I don't think that the US could stop Russia and China trading in dollars electronically using some Chinese system...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

...Didn't they already?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Paladinus posted:

So there's a 7 minute long rambling video of Lukashenko explaining to his security council why Putin is actually doing extremely great and how Ukraine should surrender before Russia goes full Iraq on it. It was fairly low content, but he mentioned that Belarusian hospitals treated 170 Russian soldiers. He used this number to refute Ukrainian number on Russian losses, but inadvertently might have confirmed that they are in the right ballpark. I imagine only a small fraction of wounded soldiers would actually be transported all the way to Belarus.

Okay, I gotta ask... why is a video between Lukashenko and his security council publicly available?

(Also, any reactions from inside Moldova on the apparent inclusion there? I tried searching but couldn't find much)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

go play outside Skyler posted:

If they have the power to remove RT from the App Store everywhere but in Russia, why aren't they removing it ... in Russia? I think that's where the propaganda is doing the most harm, isn't it?

Can you still buy/sell on the App Store in Russia?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I have to say it's impressive, Zelensky's star has really risen. Even some of my Trump-loving relatives were talking about how impressed they are by him.

If he survives this, I think we should nominate him for next UN Secretary General or something.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Carnotaurus posted:

Is it time for Japan to take back the south Kuril islands?

There's obviously a part of me that would love to see Japan go after Sakhil and China go after Vladivostok, or at least threaten it, except that Putin would probably just launch a nuclear war in response.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/janedvidek/status/1498723248183382020

Interesting thread on impact of sanctions on civil aviation in Russia.

I hear china is working on their own jets to compete with Airbus and Boeing (using stolen IP, of course).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Aw, the Anonymous Twitter got shutdown? I was kinda excited to see if they'd compromise any exciting Russian systems.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

As much as I liked the hackers who put the Ukrainian flag on TV, I'd rather they broadcast some real Russian-language news when they have control of those stations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

(Not real, but funny.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mawarannahr posted:

Is Putin gay? He was married to a woman once.

His administration is very anti-LGBT

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Despera posted:

He has two kids that look disturbingly like him

I don't actually think Putin is gay, but when you have that kind of money, you can easily just pay for an egg donor and a surrogate

...Anyway I'm sure there is some alternative universes where this is true:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So earlier this was posting about airplanes; I knew North American Airlines leased their planes but I wasn't aware they did it in Russia too.

That said, Armenia refuted that a plane was seized:
https://en.armradio.am/2022/03/03/no-s7-plane-arrested-in-yerevan-ministry/

Also, there is a rumor in aviation circles that Putin is going to nationalize all the airlines:
https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/30369-russia-discusses-nationalizing-boeing-airbus-fleets-reports

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

dominoeffect posted:

I saw that rumor about nationalizing the airlines as well. I'm assuming that buying them would require dollars or euros I wonder if they have all the money on hand to do that right now.

I would be shocked if the Russian government actually paid for these.

Incidentally, if anyone cares -- I know there was mention of Delta severing interline and codeshare agreements with Aeroflot, but S7 aka Siberian Airlines has a similar arrangement with American and Alaska Airlines, and I'm told they have done the same.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Thought this was interesting:

quote:

And those are just the obvious, first-order effects. Bradley Jardine, a global fellow at the Wilson Center, a nonpartisan research organization, writes that Tajikistan, a small Central Asian country north of Afghanistan, relies on remittances from Russia for more than 20 percent of its GDP. That means if workers in Russia stop sending money to their families in Tajikistan, that country’s economy could nose-dive into a depression. Economic crises can spark political revolutions, and Tajikistan shares a border with China’s westernmost province, Xinjiang. Russia’s crisis could, then, become a Central Asian economic crisis, which could become a Chinese political problem. What happens in Russia will not stay in Russia.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-e2-80-99s-looming-economic-collapse/ar-AAUvozL

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ola posted:

Remember how we thought 2016 was the worst year ever? Then 2017 came around and we were nostalgic about the happy times of 2016. Then 2018...etc. I thought 2022 would be the first year to break that cycle. If Putin gets kicked out of power, and perhaps a Kremlin window, 2023 is hopefully it.

I think every generation has done this, "oh, it was so much better X years ago"

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

a podcast for cats posted:

Didn't see this mentioned before, but apparently, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Meduza and RFE (Радио Свобода) have now been banned in Russia. They're really speedrunning the entire thing.

https://twitter.com/Kira_Yarmysh/status/1499639881160658945

Has the supposed Duma meeting for today taken place?

So speaking of crazy Russian/Soviet plans, this is ridiculous if true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvMm4Uh3HPs
(The Soviet plan to conquer NATO in 14 days.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Supposedly, for anyone interested, a Nordwind Airlines 777 may have been seized in Mexico City, and a Pobeda (Aeroflot Subsidiary) 737 may have been seized in Istanbul.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KitConstantine posted:

Ummmmm seems not great, Bob! More Saber rattling but very loving ominous and loud rattles imo
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499663428302028802?t=2baLVEc72FGRrP3gz0Gziw&s=19

Comments are funny though - a lot along the lines of "So we'll see some tractor owned by a Ukrainian farmer towing it by the end of the week?"

What did it say? Link doesn't work for me.

edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think it helps that Ukraine also had a semi-functional democracy.

I think this is a big part of why people care. It's one thing if, say, one authoritarian society invades another -- if Russia invaded, I dunno, Belarus, I imagine there would be far less of a response from the west.

KitConstantine posted:

As mentioned earlier the Ukrainians blew the bridge to Transnistria, seemingly out of no where. Seems this might be why
https://twitter.com/ShaolinTom/status/1499512410524295169?s=20&t=ES-kgY0rEBNezaD39PxozA

Did everybody forget about that chart Lukashenko showed on air? It literally had a unit going between Moldova and Ukraine via Transnistria