Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FishMcCool posted:

At some point, the russian population is bound to start wondering if something more unusual than the russian usual isn't happening. Between interest rates, banned flights, banned sporting events, and of course, banned Eurovision song contest, surely people will start wondering. Not that I expect much to come out of it, but the wholesale buying of propaganda can't hold forever when so much will get disrupted. I presume waiting until after the Olympics was part of avoiding that kind of obvious sign that something was different. Football is big in Russia, and when a body as corrupt as FIFA bans you from their cash cow events when they're happy to have some of said events hosted in slave labour stadiums, it's more than a little unusual.

Incidentally, FIFA was really reluctant to pull that trigger and would have preferred to wait it out, but they had gotten massive bad press for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Has there been any updates on the resumption of negotiations?

That will take some time to start in earnest. So far there haven't really been negotiations, just people sitting at a table, stating their mutually exclusive demands. I hope it happens sooner than later but neither side has moved anywhere so far. Of course, These demands have a strong gradient in how reasonable they are, so I don't think they'll just shake hands and settle down in the middle.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, looks like the truth still hasn't reached the Russian boomers yet. Genuine disbelief from this father

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498564726720286720?t=PxIHLIVqXMTiJqjYBXk5TQ&s=19

This one is just heartbreaking

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498610617372094467?t=ITfBpdw3vwbQ8oRcKwM7eg&s=19

Isn't filming POWs to make the identifiable really bad?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

It is against the Geneva convention and is not very cool to be doing, but in a fight for your existence it is natural to seek every advantage

I'll be honest, that's not a good line of reasoning and is certainly not an approach which should be extended to other parts of that convention. Also it gives the opposing party reasons to do similar things. Of course Russia is already bombing hospitals and orphanages, so I guess that's a moot point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MonikaTSarn posted:

I just realized something: If it's true that many of the russian soldiers didn't even know they were going to war, then some of them will have died to drone strikes without even knowing they were in any danger. From just another boring training excercise to burning to death in a second without even any chance to desert or disobey orders. No chance to call home and tell their family they are going to be in danger. No way to say goodbye to their loved ones. He's sending thousand of teenagers on suicide missions. This is just monstrous, how can Putin work with the military if he treats them like this ? Do his generals not have any kind of sympathy for their own people ?

Sorry, but you're portraying those soldiers as more naive than it is reasonable. They crossed the border with countless tanks and other hardware. The only way they could have thought they were still peacefully doing their own thing within Russia, when some wild Ukranians started to shoot at them is if they accepted the propaganda that the Eastern Ukraine already declared to be part of it.

They went to the border to do some posturing and suddenly Putin told them to cross it. There's no big ambiguity there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Lots of these people genuinely didn't seem to realize they were in Ukraine and were just following the truck in front of them at night.

Even from the command side this whole things seems really weird. Command sent the forces in without orders, supplies, communication or officer support. It's like they were under the assumption that actual combat is a negligible risk not worth considering? This operation is absolutely bizarre.

Putin might have been 99.9% sure that Ukraine will just collapse.

It turns out a platoon of soldiers just got lost during the sabre rattling exercise, so they invaded on accident. When Putin heard that he refused to end them back, because in his eyes that would be backing down, or admitting mistakes, so he suddenly ordered all the others join them.
That seems more likely then the reality those soldiers are peddling.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really kinda wonder if China will stick with Russia, or will eventually speak out against it. On the one hand, they apply a lot of similar tactics, on the other hand, their government is a lot less hot headed and more analytical, to a scary degree. They must realize that this was a stupid decision for Putin, right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely. All the actual experts were warning that an invasion was coming, but nobody believed them, because it seemed too outlandish. And yeah, Russia is still denying this is a war rather than a peacekeeping action accompanied by Ukrainian false flag propaganda.

How long until he claims that it's an internal skirmish between two factions in Western Russia?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

How many Ukrainian soldiers lost their lives to achieve this? Should be quite a few less, right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Incidentally, Putins personal yacht just so happened to hastily leave Hamburg at the start of February.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I guess it works better in Russain?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

We only get 3% of our oil from Russia so not really. The biggest issue is going to be price speculators driving the price higher by absurd amounts, not the actual availability of oil.

Oil is an international market. If the US takes 3% less that seems insignificant, but if all of Europe suddenly has to import their oil and gas from somewhere else, you can bet that those prices will go up bore than those 3% would suggest.
Of course, the USA could singlehandedly stop oil imports but that's not all that significant to Russia either.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Russia is kind of losing in the sense that it's very clear now that whatever unrealistic goals Putin had in mind, apart from NATO membership, they can't achieve using the military. The truth is Putin doesn't actually need a full victory to show at home. His core electorate are fairly uninformed and blindly support him, no matter what. If on Monday all propagandists start saying that the war was really only about NATO, that's what they're going to accept, mission accomplished. The majority of Russians who don't support Putin are simply disenfranchised and nihilistic, so nobody cares what they think. And the opposition media are crushed, and Putin's politically active detractors won't even be able to effectively utilise his apparent failure.

Of course, it's just me hoping there's a possible offramp. Putin might as well nuke Poland tomorrow.

I like the first sentence because it sounds like Putin is doing all of this to impress NATO so they will finally let him join.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Chalks posted:

Either he's saying that the Russians are using up their supplies and on Sunday they'll get resupplied in which case, no poo poo that's how supply lines work, or they won't get resupplied and it will be catastrophic.

You can't really downplay the implications of this without making the statement completely banal.
It's the later. But people have been interpreting it a bit to impressive because they read it as "Also, there won't be any new supply lines regardless of logistics, because the supplies in Russia are used up."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I want to read a depressing short story of the life and death of one of these Russian soldiers as he is lead over the border and promised a liberator's glory, only to end up in that traffic jam from hell. As he slowly runs out of gas, electricity, heat and food, some comrades try and fail to escape by braving the mud, while occasionally the higher ups are shot down out of nowhere.

I do feel kind of bad for these guys. On the other hand, they were on the way to bombshell civilians and will likely still do so if they ever reach their destination, so gently caress 'em.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1500209804878430208?s=20&t=k7ZyXUPiLZkPRreP0P4Bbw

My brain is stuck in a simulation, and the AI has been trained on 24 reruns.

What's a GUR?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So the negotiator was in the military intelligence? Why is that a plot twist?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The plot twist is that original reports said he was a Russian agent killed by Ukraine, now they are saying UA agent killed by Russia

So both sides claim that this guy was actually working for them and that the other side killed him?
Yeah, I'm a bit lost here, but I guess, that's sort of the point for these military intelligence types.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

is it likely that the war will accelerate the move away from fossil fuels?

Nah...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The idea that a whole artillery unit just happened to miss the memo that there was a cease fire between this and this hour - it's just absurd apologia or wishful thinking trying to find a charitable chain of events

To be honest, given their state of logistics, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the squads lost all communication networks and are just mindlessly lashing out at anything that moves.
If the so called ceasefire wasn't broadcasted properly, that's not the fault of the foot soldiers but rather the high command.
Tat being said, I absolutely think that some soldiers shot in there knowing full well what's going on and some commanders might have even ordered them to do that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Are there no domestic alternatives? I know Mastercard and Visa are very much dominant but they can't be the only credit card companies out there.

Are debit cards commonly used in Russia? In Germany, a really small subset of people actually uses a credit card, because it gives you pretty much the same options as your regular bank card. The only reason that I have one is the fact that it can be easier for international payments like for example to some weird online forum which demands an entry fee. Being unable to use a credit card here would be inconvenient for many, but hardly world changing.
Then again, on the whole, Germans prefer good old cash anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh. To be honest I seem to have some gap in my knowledge about electronic pay.

KillHour posted:

Do you not get points for paying with credit?
Sure, depending on the provider. and conditions But that's not such a huge incentive. It's basically on the level of loyalty programs for stores and such which plenty of people skip. I surely wouldn't do all my payments by credit card just to collect reward points.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What will be the standard medium of barter once the Rubel is a foggy memory and electronic payments are done for? Potatoes, vodka, or cigarettes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

That's not really true, they're just walling off Russian transactions from the rest of the world:

Okay, that is a lot less significant. Really sucks for Russians abroad and foreigners in Russia though.
Edit: I came up with this super original hot take on my own and didn't just copy the idea of the previous poster. Kind of weird how similar that phrasing ended up.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

the popes toes posted:

Firing up the domestic audience. Well produced in a simplistic way.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1500231126606098434

A significant subset of those cooped up people screaming nationalistic phrases will find they have some sympthoms of a sickness within the next few weeks.

Seriously, Covid is still a thing and the vaccination effort in Russia is not that significant. Couldn't they do this bullshit propaganda outside?

I do wonder how significant Covid is in the battle zone. On the one hand there seem to be more pressing issues, on the other hand it might completely paralyze a squad of soldiers if they are unlucky and tend to sleep in the same room.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

From that translated letter:

Is this passage implying that the analysts are pressured to downplay problems?

As in some officer asks a guy to come up with scenarios in the case of x happening, and the guy doing the analysis reports only the positive aspects (or massively downplays the negatives) because he knows that the officer’s higher ups only wants to hear good news?

That seems like pretty classical behaviour to me.
During the so called Great Leap Forward in China there had been massive food shortages due to awful harvests, but since nobody wanted to bring bad news, a lot of local leaders transported the planned amount of crops to the capital, starving their local population. Some went even so far that they greatly exceeded their pension.
This did not end well...

Congrats for placing it in a negative light, SA is now banned in China!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 6, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I always wondered why Americans were so excited to have CC companies steal their money in exchange for some stupid prizes and points.

I always assumed that was because using credit cards is the only way to built credit score over there. Some Stockholm syndrome situation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also keep in mind re: credit cards is that at least in countries like Belgium and Netherlands a credit card needs to be paid in full every month, whereas in the US it’s basically a loan with a 25% rate for most people. A lot of people are using credit cards out of necessity for literally not having enough cash to pay for things otherwise.

Yeah, Credit Cards used like that are pretty much just convenient loan sharks preying on the desperate. Your little Visa card would totally break your kneecaps if it could.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Chalks posted:

Looks like crowd control/riot equipment? A symptom of their over-optimistic planning I guess - I wonder how much of their supply convoys contain equipment that's completely useless at this stage of the conflict.

I love the idea that in their timeline this stuff was supposed to go to Kiev to keep control of singular remaining strugglers as the new puppet president gets sworn in by tomorrow.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cimber posted:

I'm wondering about this whole 'Russia can't win, this is going to be a long insurgency like Afganistan" narrative going on.

Maybe this is playing into their plan? Having a long term fight to keep the people of Russia preoccupied and looking at, keep on beating the drum of 'The west is killing our soldiers' and keep their focus off how lovely their government is?

What if a few hundred thousand Ukrainians die? Thats the price Putin is willing to pay to keep the eyes off his policy.

If that's their genuine plan, they're really incredibly bad at planning. Transforming their country into North Korea 2.0. wont improve thinks for their government at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1500786876172713986

China will appreciate Russia's recognition of Taiwan as a foreign state.
Did the Twitter person just not bother to list it, or did Germany manage to avoid that list.
Also lol that the Ukraine is randomly wedged in there between Taiwan and Montenegro. I really wonder if Putin considers those contries/regions to be on the same level of significance.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Judakel posted:

Creative use of literature during the invasion:

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1500815037589504009

Oh look the Nazis are burning books again!
-Vladimir Putin

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow they did it. These crazy bastards really did it!
Putin will be publicly dragged through the streets with gold chains around his neck!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Seriously, a Russian gopnick in their natural adidas plumage is a modern day symbol of Russia. Seeing that piece of culture wane away would be a crime.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It makes them even more serfs of the state

It's basically a macro scale version of those Ford factory towns where everyone was paid in their made up currency which could only be spend there, so they could arbitrarily raise the prices since the worker drones had no alternative way to spend their earnings.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a good thing Nazi-free and decidedly not fascist Russia is bombarding Ukrainian civilians, then.

They aren't. All they did was to send in some diplomats and suddenly Ukraine kept shelling their own country. This senseless violence has to stop.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The_Franz posted:

Russian stock market set to remain closed on Wednesday. At this point, all Russian ETFs on the US market have been halted and the options are slated to be settled in cash.

It's kind of weird that they are only announcing the closure of the next day. It will be open any day now.

Alchenar posted:

Question for anyone in the know: is this literally preventing all trading in companies registered on the stock market or is it possible for people (oligarchs) to conduct over-the-counter or private trades to get around this?

I'd figure if one company gives another the physical deeds with a corresponding sales contract, that's still a valid transaction. At least I haven't heard that all transactions have to go through an exchange.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

KillHour posted:

This is horrific holy poo poo. "intended to maim... because it slows people down more" has to be a war crime in and of itself, right?

I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for personal mines and applies to most mines placed in Afghanistan. I remember learning about that during my brief time at the German army.
The cold calculation is actually quite logical. If your mine kills the soldier who steps on it you reduce the platoon by one person. If that person instead loses a foot, but survives, another one has to be occupied to help him move, while the whole platoon would have to move slower to not lose them.

What is a war crime is if the platoon leader decides that the extra hassle of having a broken soldier around isn't worth it and decides to act as if he just died there in the initial blast.
Also yeah, using mines on a so called humanitarian corridor definitely applys.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

PederP posted:

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1501825074789236740
Sweden and Denmark are (as far as I know) the two countries with the highest number of historical wars against each other, we did a fair bit of genocide on each other, and today we're reasonably well behaved towards each other.

That's an interesting little tidbit. But to be fair that's only true because all of those wars were relatively short, while for example China has continuously clashed with Vietnam for literally millennia. But on the other hand I guess defining those as "China" and "Vietnam" would be a bit inaccurate for those periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What does the CW in the thread title stand for?