Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

I think that's a naieve view of (at least) the U.S.' intentions. Security umbrellas aren't free, and I very seriously doubt that Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia would be significant contributors to the alliance should the time come.

Baltics are fulfilling their obligations, including 2% expenditure. Which cannot be said for the majority of NATO members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

Would you like to actually discuss this and not post like a petty dick? Gripweed made a good point about there being a lot of nuance to what's going on right now and people misinterpreting positions and thoughts, intentionally or no.

And if you don't think there's a lot of nuance, then fine, nothing to discuss, go back to the EE chat thread. Y'all got what you wanted anyway, don't know why you're trying to start poo poo in the containment thread.

I’m very interested to see nuanced evidence of NATO pursuing having a land border with Russia in the Baltics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

And how big are their government budgets? Even if they're fulfilling their treaty obligations (and I have no doubt they are), that still leaves me wondering: what could these countries meaningfully contribute to a hot war involving NATO? Each of the Baltic nations are smaller than the one (1) state I live in, which is ranked 28th out of the 50 in population. These countries are tiny and are not, nor ever will be, big contributors to NATO's military capabilities.

If you’re dissatisfied with our membership terms, ask more or kick us out. We’re doing everything that is being asked of us, and we were not shy to kill our citizens for your sake in Iraq and elsewhere.

I think it would be cool if Latvia could allocate 1 trillion USD out of its budget for military expense, which you seem to be asking for, but we may have to fix our roads and start paying teachers and nurses liveable wage before then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

Here, let me dig up all the classified docs from the State Department and DoD I have access to discussing this :rolleyes:

I apologise for having the audacity to inquire if there’s any whatsoever basis to your claims that seemingly were presented as facts.

TipTow posted:

You are getting very, very weirdly personal about this. And besides, as I've stated multiple times, it's not about the Baltics' military capabilities. They don't exist. My government (not me, just lmao) is not concerned at all at what the Baltics bring to the table other than Russian containment.

But hey, I'll be sure to write my Members of Congress demanding the expulsion of Latvia from NATO. I have total agency over my government, they'll listen to me.

I’m have no clue why you feel that I’m taking this personally. Propriety of our contributions to NATO is trivially verifiable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

This guy's the one who dragged Russia into the Donbass war, if you believe him: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/11/21/russias-igor-strelkov-i-am-responsible-for-war-in-eastern-ukraine-a41598

He's also been responsible for taking a lot of russian+belarusian citizens videos of armour movements from tiktok and posting them on twitter

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1491120509299347461

I really dont know what his deal is

That’s not his account, as far as I know. Last I checked him, he was only active on his VK page.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

Where are the demands to see proof that adding the Baltics was all about peace, freedom, and democracy? I'd like to see that evidence.

You can demand that evidence from people claiming that Baltics were admitted to NATO on altruistic, moral grounds.

TipTow posted:

And don't give me any bullshit about a "royal" you. Unless you believe all us Americans are a monolith or operate with some kind of hive mind.

I think I was rather clearly talking to you in those posts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Well gently caress, that makes a lot more sense then. Some of the older text posts on that account read as explicitly pro-invasion so I assumed it was him

Oh, word? I could be wrong, I’m only ~80% confident here.

If it’s not a chore for you to dig some of those up, I’d take a look.

TipTow posted:

So you believe I have the unilateral ability to kick out the Baltics?

Of course I do, that’s how English language works.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

What's more they've been oppressing ethnic Russians far more heinously than Ukraine, what with denying them citizenship and forcibly assimilating them. Such a shame that the vile NATO allowed them to join, they could be part of the glorious mother Russia again by now.

This post is sarcasm (but the underlying facts mostly are not).

Lithuania granted citizenship to almost everyone automatically. Latvia denied it only to members of the military and the political arms of the occupation government. Estonia I don’t know about quite as well, but I think their policies were similar to Latvian.

While 90s and pre-EU naughts were genuinely dire, passing a checkbox exam of Latvian language and history assimilates you into becoming a Balt about as much as eating Taco Bell does make you a Mexican.

There of course are serious problems, but this is a very dramatic post. If you are interested in discussing this with less snark and more accurate representation of facts, I’ll gladly take it in the main thread. We were kind of going in the direction of this conversation a fortnight or so ago, but Ukraine/Russia conflict chatter derailed that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Yes, also there's no "autonomous republics" in the areas with Russian majority like in Ukraine, much less the those areas having a significant political say independent of the normal electoral process.

That’s barely 2 cities for Estonia and Latvia combined, which are regarded like that, and we’ve never had autonomous regions before even for our internal tribal divisions, because the countries are 2x4 hours by car without breaking any serious traffic rules.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

:confused:

By the way, get absolutely hosed at the insinuation that anybody died in Iraq for my sake.

If someone tells me they lost a dad in Iraq I’ll let them know that it was for the lulz, since America didn’t request assistance. Now, you may argue that NATO and US are different things, but that would contradict your previous posts here.

TipTow posted:

I do believe NATO to be an arm of U.S. (and by extension French and British at least) hegemony.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Private Speech posted:

My point is more that Ukraine didn't do any of those things and on the contrary made significant accommodations, so if the treatment of Russian minority is a valid pretext to invade, then, well, clearly the Baltics deserve it far more.

Ah, sure. As far as popular in some Russian political circles rhetoric goes, we do deserve it far worse than Ukraine does. But, alas, if you bomb Latvia you bomb up all those Russian oligarch neighbourhoods in the capital region.

Private Speech posted:

Isn't a solid chunk of the Russian army deployed on the Belarus border just ~100 miles north of Kiev?

Correct, 200km or so from Kyiv by road.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Every country that agreed to send assistance is complicit in the atrocity that was the Iraq War, no one gets to act the victim there except Iraq

I don’t consider Latvia to be victim of Iraqi aggression - that is not a precondition for us to recognise American request for aid.

Sinteres posted:

Latvia lost three lives in Iraq and four in Afghanistan, and that's a shame, but I don't think the US guarantees your country's security because of that tremendous contribution. It sucks that you got dragged into Iraq in particular, but probably the most valuable contribution in the eyes of the Bush Admin was getting to add 1 to the number of supporting countries.

For someone supposedly respectful of the deceased, this does lean heavily into mocking Latvia for fulfilling conditions America set out for our NATO membership.

Either way, time to wrap up the chat about Latvian membership in NATO. This is Ukraine-Russia war thread, not NATO in Europe thread.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

How is this not a parting shot?

Because nothing prevents you from continuing the topic of Latvian membership of NATO in EEPol, which is the more appropriate thread for it. I'm more than happy to continue the discussion there, with the small request of clearly restating the argument or position you'd like to discuss with me or anyone else.

This thread is to discuss Ukraine-Russia war. Prospects of NATO membership for Ukraine are relevant to it, and so is Russian perception of and history with NATO. Latvian membership of NATO from the U.S. perspective could be reasonably seen as an off-topic discussion point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

And yet you chose to get the last word in right there before deciding the topic doesn't belong.

As I've clarified already, everyone is invited to continue that conversation in the other thread. I don't view them separately myself, merely as a helpful way for posters to find the conversations they're interested in.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

That gets to my other concern. If the threads are going to be functionally identical, it would be nice if that would be made clear from the top so some of us know not to bother posting in it after the skew of the last one. Like I genuinely thought part of the point of this thread was to have somewhere people could be more free to express opinions that might offend the sensibilities of regular EE posters without tracking mud on their carpet.

What prevents you from doing so?

CommieGIR posted:

This thread is for Discussion of the ongoing Ukraine crisis and Russian intervention to help take the weight off the Eastern Europe thread.

This includes discussion of Ukrainian Nazis and justification of Russian intervention/invasion of Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gripweed posted:

No, we shouldn't be giving weapons to anyone. American military aid does not have a good track record, we should stop doing it.

Here's another way to look at it; What if Russia doesnt invade? We've given the Ukranian military a lot of new weapons. While I am relieved to hear that we made Ukraine promise those weapons wouldn't go to the explicitly nazi parts of their military, the fact that we had to apply that restriction should give you pause. What will the Ukrainian army do with all their new American weapons, if they don't have to fight Russia? I don't know. Do you? Are you confident that it will only be good stuff? Because if you aren't, that's a good reason to oppose giving them those weapons.

What could they possibly do with them in that event? Do you have any specific weapon misuse ideas in mind?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Start killing minorities and/or selling the armaments on to the black market to various other groups to commit terror offenses?

Say the military aid ends up in the right hands all the time, even then there will be leakage into criminal areas and so on. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that contributing more armaments into an area may lead to more people using said armaments, even when adequate precautions have been taken.

Not sure why would Ukrainian army be interested in killing minorities all of a sudden, but potential arms control problems is a fair enough concern to evaluate, I guess. It’s worth noting here that Ukraine is caught by this development amidst reforms to rebuild their army to the NATO standards (like what Sweden and Finland have), so you may or may not operate on an outdated idea of how well put together are their armed forces.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

If that was the case, then why did it take until 2017 to change the policy? Russia wasn't any more aggressive in 2017 than it was in 2014-15. It seems more likely to me that Trump changed that policy because he wanted the U.S. MIC to make a lot of money by selling arms to Ukraine.

Ukrainian army around 2014 was a husk stuck in Soviet military paradigm, and that was ground zero for their conflict, more or less. By 2017 their army reforms were well under way already, lobbyist groups representing Ukrainian interests were properly established in the U.S., and, of course, there was a change in American leadership. I’ll not speculate on the relative weight of those 3 factors, but the situation by 2017 was substantially different from the other side of the situation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Do we really have to circle back to what caused this thread spit in the first place? The literal neo-nazi accused war criminal battalion in the Ukrainian military? That causes you zero concern?

As I’ve said before, I do find Azov’s existence concerning, much like that of any other ideological paramilitary. Azov is explicitly sanctioned by US DoD, and does not benefit from American military aid, as far as I know.

Besides that, I meant the broader mass of their armed forces, not a unit going rogue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: ^^ LNG terminal build times in EU are being quoted to be around 2 years. Russia can yet find some fire to play with, with regards to their gas leverage, imo.

Majorian posted:

True, but wouldn't those factors suggest that if Russia wanted to actually annex more Ukrainian territory (instead of just continuing to isolate and destabilize the country), it should have done so between 2015-2017? It seems to me that what has deterred further Russian invasions hasn't been the lethal aid provided by the U.S., but rather the fact that the rest of Ukraine is a very different kettle of fish from Crimea. In the years leading up to the 2014 invasion, the people of the region overwhelmingly supported leaving Ukraine and joining Russia. One doesn't have to sacrifice too much blood and treasure on occupying a region that is already, for all intents and purposes, occupied. The rest of the country isn't quite so keen on the idea, though - even in places like Donbas, the population is much more divided over whether or not they want to join Russia. So it seems to me that what deters Russia from further invasions is less that the U.S. is arming Ukraine, and more that trying to conquer some or all of Ukraine, even under ideal circumstances, would be too much of a shitshow for it to be worthwhile.

From armchair general point of view, I agree that every year after 2014 Ukrainian defensive capacity has strengthened significantly. I’ll not speculate if it outpaced the concurrent modernisation of Russian army, but today it definitely will be much more costly for Russia to annex anything more ambitious than a Crimea land bridge through Mariupol’, than it was in 3-4 years ago, and respectively for even further back.

The polling story is a bit more nuanced than what you present, in my opinion. I had a great chat about it with Koos recently - if you care, I can dig that up, but also those details don’t affect present day defences of Ukraine.

Back to the deterrence factors, I think it’s worth splitting Western aid into weapons and other stuff. Weapons probably don’t change Russian calculus on strategical level - I’d expect proliferation of MANPADs to just inform tactics for urban warfare and sieges, if they commit to a general invasion. Unless the Russian calculus shows that those weapons could cause enough damage to trigger a domestic backlash over unexpected casualties, I guess. I would prescribe that consideration more towards the replenishment of the suspicious ammunition stockpiles fires, which likely also had greater impact on the sustained combat capacity of Ukrainian armed forces.

The other stuff though? That’s what Ukrainians used to rebuild their army with - not exclusively, but the impact shouldn’t be understated. Total aid from the U.S., since 2014, stands at $2.5bn I believe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ve read some Eastern European military analysts in recent days, and the common theme so far is that they deride domestic media for suggesting blitzkrieg or shock-and-awe bombardment.

On the ground, most visibly Ukraine is preparing against various saboteur/black ops scenarios.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cyber warfare playing a prominent role is one bet I’d make, yeah. Russians are very competent at that, c.f. Continental Pipeline and myriad of older attacks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The ban on arming them ended half a decade ago unless there was a second go of it. Seems weird of someone who posts about this nonstop every day not to know that.

The ban was lifted in 2015, and reinstated in 2018.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/380483-congress-bans-arms-to-controversial-ukrainian-militia-linked-to-neo-nazis

Majorian posted:

I'll take your word for it - I definitely believe that the polling is not clear-cut anywhere in a country as big as Ukraine (although I'll read what you had to say if you'd like to dig it up - I'm always interested in learning something new). But my point is less that polling affects present-day defenses and more that broad popular resistance to being occupied by Russia would probably lead to (well-funded, well-armed) uprisings, necessitating a costly, bloody counterinsurgency campaign by Russia. As the U.S. learned the hard way in Iraq, insurgencies can make rebuilding the economies and infrastructures of recently-conquered regions all the more difficult. My overarching thesis here is that Russia's already going to take a big economic hit if it invades, to the point where it would probably impact how well they can conduct a campaign of conquest and occupation. It's high risk, with no guaranteed reward.

We’re in full agreement here, that thewould-be occupation force would have major insurgency concerns in pretty much anywhere - especially in the major cities of Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

An occupation force in the bits already controlled by pro-Russian militias would, presumably, face MUCH fewer insurgency issues.

Considering that everyone important in those “militias” is a Russian soldiers, PMC, or intelligence asset, I’m not sure that’s a useful distinction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

although I'll read what you had to say if you'd like to dig it up

I'll quote a post slightly preceding my conversation with Koos, and then link our conversation underneath the quote.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't dispute that report, but please don't link 100-page PDFs with no further specifiers and expect people to talk to you about it.

For context for everyone else, page 18. A 2011 poll, in Russian

"Optimal status for Crimea?" 41% autonomous part of Russia
"Hypothetical joining Russia referendum?" 65.6% Yes

2008 poll in English (hot on heels of Russia-Georgia war)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140317075919/http://www.razumkov.org.ua/eng/files/category_journal/NSD104_eng_2.pdf

Opinions of Crimeans regarding the desired future for their
region are rather controversial and unsteady, which makes them
vulnerable to internal and external influences. For instance, the
majority of Crimeans would like Crimea to secede from Ukraine and
join Russia (63.8%), and at the same time – to preserve its current
status, but with expanded powers and rights (53.8%). More than a
third (35.1%) would like it to become a Russian national autonomy
as a part of Ukraine; also more than a third (34.5%) – to secede from
Ukraine and become an independent state

2011 poll in Ukrainian, page 27
https://razumkov.org.ua/upload/Prz_Krym_2011_Yakymenko.pdf
Crimean polling for "join Russia" option is shown to drop fro 32.3% in 2009 to 24.4% in 2011.
This poll is run by the same people as the one above with 63.8% in 2008.

2014 poll in English
http://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=236&page=1
This one is noteworthy for polling in Crimea literally a few days before things escalated.
Crimean polling for "join Russia" option is shown to increase from 35.9% in 2013 to 41% in 2014

Obviously, this was domestically loaded question and polls are absolutely not prescriptive, and it's likewise easy to find stuff that will show lower and higher numbers than those (some Russian-organised polls trend higher, some Western-organised polls trend lower). Anecdotally, I don't recall any polls that would show >50% Crimean support for joining Russia between the 2012 parliament elections and the 2014 annexation of Crimea. After the annexation sure, there's dozens of polls with North Korea elections-tier 103.75% support for Russia.

Chaser link:
May 7, 2014 (freshly post-annexation) report from Putin administration's human rights council, in Russian (a cool read in general, if you read Russian or can stomach Google Translate)
http://web.archive.org/web/20140427...teley_kryma.php

My translation of the relevant bit:
According to the opinion of almost all polled experts and citizens:
- Majority of Sevastopol residents voted to join Russia (50-80% turnout), and in Crimea varying sources indicated 50-60% vote in support of joing Russia, with total turnout of 30-50%;
- Inhabitants of Crimea were voting not quite for joining Russia, but for a ceasement of, in their own words, "oppressive corruption and thievery freely carried out by lawless Donetsk henchmen". Sevastopol's inhabitants, on the other hand, were voting specifically to join Russia. Fear of illegal armed groups was greater in Sevastopol than elsewhere in Ukraine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=440#post521319953
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=440#post521320386
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521322984
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521325205
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521326184
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521328273
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521328315

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Usually, the minister gets to be the idiot when this trope plays out, but I guess Lavrov is a bit too expensive for that. At the same time, this could also be going the other way - "well, we really tried, even benevolently stepping moving on from their obstinacy, but the situation could have not been helped".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m inclined to agree with BM. Let’s wait for clean satellite photos before celebrating.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

It was known for a couple of days that there'd be a vote this week (don't remember if it was supposed to be today specifically).

It was.

fatherboxx posted:

Yes, it was set to voting few days ago

In a funny turn of events this one was proposed by non-dominant party - CPRF; it is extremely inflammatory worded BUT obviously United Russia cant allow to vote against recognizing DNR (dont want to be seen as traitors or weaklings)... so they proposed another appeal, that sends the final decision to be DISCUSSED with Foreign Ministry (and, presumably, to be set on hold eternally).
So there are going to be two unanimously approved conflicting Appeals.

Clown show

Oh, the MoFA delegation is still happening? lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

gently caress you, Rupert Murdoch!

My friend in Telegram has shared Discord intel that 420,000 Russian troops will invade Ukraine at 6:9pm.

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, German chancellor is in Moscow talking to Putin right now and he's also seated at the long table cause he refused to take the Russian PCR test.

I have very little doubt that they would do a genome sequencing and file that poo poo somewhere just to have it

Same reason Macron sat at the table.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Wonder what the play is here.

Putin would lose the option to exploit vaguely written Minsk agreements in the event where Russia recognises LDNR sovereignties. If he doesn’t mean to achieve his goals by force here, the agreements constitute one of the better pathways towards a de jure blockade of Ukrainian membership in Western organisations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Once again I find myself lamenting that I cannot make images thread titles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Did Russia spend a ton of money on beefing up the military during this whole ordeal or just rearranged existing assets?

Russia is currently in phase 1.5 of strategic modernisation of its military. After they suffered some embarrassing failures during Russian invasion into Georgia, a 2011-2020 modernisation plan was developed. During that, they found themselves waging wars in Ukraine and Syria, and incorporated those learnings into a Frankenstein 2018-2027 plan, which is going to be replaced in 2023 or 2024 with plan based on the difficulties they’ve faced so far in their third campaign against Ukraine.

In other words, they’re continuously spending more than they normally would want to, and will likely ramp up spending in the future. Unless there’s a serious trade war coming up between Russia and EU.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 15, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks for this, I'm going to go look into these modernizations because I wasn't aware the Georgia invasion went badly from a military standpoint. I'll have to look more into that, I was under the impression it went well for RF

Russia won decisively, but not without some comical failures, I believe. Some of the things that reportedly happened:

- Tactical communications link was so unreliable that field commanders were using personal mobile phones to coordinate engagements
- Reconnaissance drones footage was only accessible after the drones landed back in base
- There were numerous casualties from road accidents while simply moving towards the frontlines

Here’s an decent article in English https://warontherocks.com/2018/09/russian-performance-in-the-russo-georgian-war-revisited/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

I think that stretches the definition of "active invasion" beyond recognition. It was an active invasion and illegal occupation eight years ago. Now it's a dead issue; Crimea is part of Russia, rightly or wrongly. There is currently no active invasion of Ukraine by Russia. There may be one in the near future, but I strongly doubt it.

I guess raining artillery shells is a natural occurrence in Eastern Ukraine then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moscow interpretation of Minsk agreements is utter comedy. These “separatist” regions are staffed by Russian soldiers, and ruled by Russian citizens, down to United Russia membership cards personally presented to them by Medvedev. Hell, Borodai, the first “prime minister” of DNR, is a sitting member of the Russian parliament. Yet at the same time Moscow pretends this is an internal conflict of Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

Moscow has shown that it can cause an absurd level of panic just by moving troops around within its own borders.

NATO should try simply moving half of its combat-ready personnel and equipment within its own territory, to the Baltics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

It's not Russia's interpretation, this is just what was agreed on and there's no other way to interpret them. It's understandable that Ukraine now is in a different situation than when Minsk II was signed, and would want to revise some of its provisions, but it's clear that neither Russia or LDNR are willing to budge on elections.

Elections are the least controversial part of it. My argument is that Russia is a party to the conflict, yet Minsk agreements portray Russia as a guarantor/judge of them.

One of the major practical differences between Russia and Ukraine, on the topic of undeniably vaguely written agreements, is the order of events. Russia is unwilling to give up border control to Ukraine, and wants LDNR to self-organise local elections while it keeps the borders for itself. Ukraine seems to be perfectly fine with organising elections there, with international monitors and all, if it regains control over its borders first, and is able to restore basic infrastructure and services in LDNR (for instance, LDNR authorities have been blocking residents from accessing frontline civic service centres built out by Kyiv, where people can receive their pensions etcetera, for purported epidemiological concerns).

The actual point of contention is the extent of special rights the regions should receive - which is another area where the agreements are simply poorly written.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

There is no ambiguity in the agreement on the order of events.

Ukraine is trying to reneg on this.

If we look at Minsk II (full text):

art. 10

quote:

Withdrawal of all foreign armed formations, military equipment, as well as mercenaries from
the territory of Ukraine under monitoring of the OSCE. Disarmament of all illegal groups

There are no pre-conditions for this, and at this point de facto the border control already is Ukrainian. That as not happened, and so

art. 12

quote:

Based on the Law of Ukraine “On interim local self-government order in certain areas of the
Donetsk and Lugansk regions”, questions related to local elections will be discussed and
agreed upon with representatives of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions in the
framework of the Trilateral Contact Group. Elections will be held in accordance with relevant
OSCE standards and monitored by OSCE/ODIHR.

It is impossible to conduct elections to an OSCE standard because the region is controlled by a foreign army mixed with unlawfully operating paramilitaries.

Paladinus posted:

The special rights of the regions are outlined in the law On temporary Order of Local Self-Governance in Particular Districts of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, which Rada passed in 2014 and renews every year. This law is explicitly mentioned in the agreement, and there is no ambiguity there either.

I meant the constitutional reform bit here, about decentralization. That seems to be open to interpretation for anyone, with the law you mention being a separate part of article 11.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

It's pretty obvious in context that if control of the border is supposed to be transferred back to Ukraine after the election, someone else will be controlling it in the meantime. And the precondition to border control is elections.

OSCE should in theory be able to highlight any breaches of their standards when elections are actually planned. Russia would presumably call back all Russian 'consultants' and regular units by that point.

Border not being under Ukrainian control does reasonably contradict absence of third parties’ military forces in the area. Rhetorically speaking, “transfer” implies that the situation until then violates article 10, because the only group that can legally control the border is the state border guard service.

In other words, as I tried saying earlier, this is not the best written diplomatic agreement. While Russian interpretation may end up prevailing fully or in part, and while the document clearly favours Russia in any case, I do agree with people, both in Ukraine and abroad, who say that some parts of the agreement may be rationally interpreted in multiple ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

In any case I think the whole border >< elections issue over Minsk is shadowboxing. Putin's real endgame objective is obviously an autonomous region that will reliably return a Moscow client and which constitutionally holds a veto over Ukrainian membership of NATO. That's probably the legal guarantee he keeps asking someone to offer him.

Yeah, all actions taken since the start of Donbas occupation pursue the exact same objective - to gain exclusive control over Ukraine’s international affairs.